Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

On 1/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, ZB'Tejas said:

Little girl became much more difficult to manage at about 2.5. Stuggled to get through the 3's with lots of attitude and very little listening. Now she is 4 and I really hoped things would start clicking for her but dayum she is strong willed.

late show ugh GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Just wait for the stretch around 6-8 years old when they are picking up all the bad behavioral habits of their friends at school....

then the back talk, I know everything teenage years.

TLDR  you're not even close.

5 minutes ago, next2naus said:

little girl is in her Big Kids bed and loving it, waiting her twin brother BKB to arrive. not sure he really cares or is completely ready. 

If you have lever doors like me, You’re going to need these after the novelty of the BKB is gone for her:

Improved Childproof Door Lever Lock 4-Pack Prevents Toddlers From Opening Doors. Easy One Hand Operation for Adults. Durable ABS with 3M Adhesive Backing. Simple Install, No Tools Needed (White, 4)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RP3ND5Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_INypEbB4ACG6A

Daughter started leaving her room and it got super annoying / impossible to deal with. 
i don’t care if she actually goes to sleep right away, but she better stay in her room.

Also got this to train her when it’s ok to wake up / call for mom and dad. It limits the calling for us and trying to train her up to when we’re not locking the bedroom up in the future.

Hatch Baby Rest Sound Machine, Night Light and Time-to-Rise

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XMRCC94/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-QypEbKRV153E

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

If you have lever doors like me, You’re going to need these after the novelty of the BKB is gone for her:

Improved Childproof Door Lever Lock 4-Pack Prevents Toddlers From Opening Doors. Easy One Hand Operation for Adults. Durable ABS with 3M Adhesive Backing. Simple Install, No Tools Needed (White, 4)

Daughter started leaving her room and it got super annoying / impossible to deal with. 
i don’t care if she actually goes to sleep right away, but she better stay in her room.

Also got this to train her when it’s ok to wake up / call for mom and dad. It limits the calling for us and trying to train her up to when we’re not locking the bedroom up in the future.

way ahead of you. All door knobs are traditional knobs and everyone they have access to has one of those spinning do-hickeys on it. She did stick her fingers into the opening and manage to lock herself into her brothers room last night. As it happened I had my impact driver out and simply took the knob apart to free her. 

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:23 AM, BradInATX said:

Tantrums over absolutely nothing are perfectly normal at 18 months right? And it'll pass eventually and he'll become a normal well-adjusted human being.. right?!

Granted my oldest is only 4, but I will say this. It gets worse before it gets better. And better is relative. 

On 2/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, Dnaguy said:

we have these for the front door  and door to garage. it doesnt happen often but sometimes theres news stories of kids going outside in the middle of the night and freezing to death up here. Might need these for 1.5 year olds room if he starts climbing out of the crib on an consistent basis, or just get one of those netted bubbles until hes like 2 for peace of mind

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Yeah, speaking of tantrums and locking doors, etc., of course when our almost 1 year old girl finally starts sleeping consitently, our 3 year old boy is waking up freaked out all the damn time.  It started occasionally prior to Christmas but it's basically every single night now.  Just wakes up anywhere from 11PM to 4 AM (sometimes multiple times) scared of something (nightmares?).  Who knows.  He can't really explain what he's scared of.  But it's driving us crazy.  We've tried different things (comfort, crying it out, milk, night lights, etc.) but haven't been consistent so a lot of it is on us I'm sure.  My wife is calling some sleep consultant someone recommended to her today.  I'll gladly pay for a plan that works even if this is just a short phase.  Anyone else go through this?

On 2/8/2020 at 10:33 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

we have these for the front door  and door to garage. it doesnt happen often but sometimes theres news stories of kids going outside in the middle of the night and freezing to death up here. Might need these for 1.5 year olds room if he starts climbing out of the crib on an consistent basis, or just get one of those netted bubbles until hes like 2 for peace of mind

I had to replace every damn interior lever knob with the old school round knobs... But its only a matter of time til they're letting themselves into everywhere.

Threw these mother fuckers on the exterior doors because my spawns are maybe a month from unlocking them and walking out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004RL1IMC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1

One of our 2 year old twin girls, the one that used to be closest to me, recently decided that if mom is around, I'm not allowed to pick her up or comfort her. Once mom leaves, she wants to be in my lap and stops treating me like I'm a fucking stranger... Her favorite word might be nipples, which gets me. She said fuck the other morning in the car. I blame mom. She's given her sister PTSD from snatching her toys. Now even when she's not snatching, sister assumes she is, and goes on a crying run around the house. Then when I take the useless piece of plastic that triggered all the shit, they will lay side by side to throw their temper tantrums, and all I can think is, "well, at least they're doing this together"

I was driving through Houston a few weekends ago with my 3.5 year old in the back seat.  He's blabbering on about something (he doesn't stop talking) and someone cuts me off on 610.  I say "god fucking damnit you asshole..." not very loud at all.

We pull in to our destination and I hear from the backseat: "god damnit!" as he's trying to get his cup out of his carseat cup holder.

Yeah...I need to watch my mouth.

• Like 1

Yeah, speaking of tantrums and locking doors, etc., of course when our almost 1 year old girl finally starts sleeping consitently, our 3 year old boy is waking up freaked out all the damn time.  It started occasionally prior to Christmas but it's basically every single night now.  Just wakes up anywhere from 11PM to 4 AM (sometimes multiple times) scared of something (nightmares?).  Who knows.  He can't really explain what he's scared of.  But it's driving us crazy.  We've tried different things (comfort, crying it out, milk, night lights, etc.) but haven't been consistent so a lot of it is on us I'm sure.  My wife is calling some sleep consultant someone recommended to her today.  I'll gladly pay for a plan that works even if this is just a short phase.  Anyone else go through this?

Yes. They call it "night terrors". My son as gone thru it. He's six now and it doesn't happen as often but still does occasionally but not as bad. Usually happens within an hour of falling asleep when something happens that brings him up but not all the way - music ending, a noise, tried to roll over but got stuck in the blanket, etc. He'd be crying and shaking and talking about things that didn't make sense. Eventually he'd get awake enough to calm down and then would sleep thru the night just fine. Started happening less when he stopped taking naps during the day because he'd be tired enough to just pass out. We have a music CD on repeat too.

6 yr old daughter has night terrors and recently she’s started walking in her sleep. Couple nights ago she was crying in bed. I go up to check on her and find out she’s really laughing. It’s creepy as fuck. She’s smiling and laughing. I ask if she was crying and she just laughs and says “No”. Then she’s quick back to sleep.

Most of the time it’s crying and unresponsive even though it looks like she’s awake.

As for the walking in her sleep, one night she was sitting on the floor in her bathroom. Other sister woke up and walked in there (jack and Jill style) and younger was just sitting there. Asked her what she was doing, she said “nothing” and walked back to her bed. We hear her walking around upstairs and go check on her. She’ll be sleeping on the floor with her bed made up. Shes the sweetest girl, but this shit happens and I’m waiting for the lights to flash and her head to spin in circles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I was driving through Houston a few weekends ago with my 3.5 year old in the back seat.  He's blabbering on about something (he doesn't stop talking) and someone cuts me off on 610.  I say "god fucking damnit you asshole..." not very loud at all.

We pull in to our destination and I hear from the backseat: "god damnit!" as he's trying to get his cup out of his carseat cup holder.

Yeah...I need to watch my mouth.

We've all been there....

tenor.gif?itemid=5642513

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't tell if it's 'night terrors' or just nightmares/wakes up scared of the dark.  There have been times when he's out of it but for the most part he's generally pretty 'aware'.  He doesn't elaborate as to why or what made him sad/scared but he is sure as hell awake enough to plead for more milk and/or for one of us to lay with him (or more often than not if I check on him, to "go get mama").

6 yr old daughter has night terrors and recently she’s started walking in her sleep. Couple nights ago she was crying in bed. I go up to check on her and find out she’s really laughing. It’s creepy as fuck. She’s smiling and laughing. I ask if she was crying and she just laughs and says “No”. Then she’s quick back to sleep.

Most of the time it’s crying and unresponsive even though it looks like she’s awake.

As for the walking in her sleep, one night she was sitting on the floor in her bathroom. Other sister woke up and walked in there (jack and Jill style) and younger was just sitting there. Asked her what she was doing, she said “nothing” and walked back to her bed. We hear her walking around upstairs and go check on her. She’ll be sleeping on the floor with her bed made up. Shes the sweetest girl, but this shit happens and I’m waiting for the lights to flash and her head to spin in circles.
My son has done the sleep walk thing a few times. I'll here him start to do the whimpering thing he does right before the crying and will go to try to stop it before it gets worse and I'll find him standing in the middle of his room. Or he'll be asleep and start randomly talking out loud about something he's obviously dreaming about.

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

Had that with one of my twins at 3 ½. Sounds like a night terror v. a nightmare. A hallmark of a night terror is the kid being unable to remember them.  My son had reflux and was put on an OTC med. He never had another one. 

Here is a quick article on it. Good luck. If they are night terrors, they are worse on parents than the kids having them.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_night-terrors-why-they-happen-and-what-to-do-about-them_142.bc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 9:19 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

3yo: I want a Minnie Mouse hairbrush.

MrsNAAL: maybe you van get one for Christmas.

3yo: No! For Texas!

Yes, my 3yo has decided that Texas is a holiday where you get presents. I told her Texas isn't until March and that Christmas comes first.

So, today is Texas day, and a new tradition of giving gifts for Texas Independence Day has begun. I just finished making this today and will be giving it to the 3yo as soon as I get home. The 5mo old gets nothing because he is still a baby. Sorry, bro.

spacer.png

• Like 2

So, today is Texas day, and a new tradition of giving gifts for Texas Independence Day has begun. I just finished making this today and will be giving it to the 3yo as soon as I get home. The 5mo old gets nothing because he is still a baby. Sorry, bro.
SSC99aRK_o.jpg
My daughter wants one. Her initials are ORW

It took my daughter about 20 months to sleep through the night without waking up at least once. She’s 5 now and occasionally still wakes up and wants mom but still goes back to sleep pretty quick. 

The funny/mildly exasperating thing is she won’t wake up on days we have to be somewhere (school, church) but wakes up at 7:30 on Saturdays or days off...I suppose she’s not the first kid to do this. 

But otherwise she’s awesome. In the stage right now where mom and dad are her fave and she’s really snuggly/cuddly. And hilarious, learning new words and even puns sometimes. Good stuff. 

On 2/8/2020 at 10:33 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

May now 8 yo started climbing out of her crib around 16 months. We had a mobile hung from her ceiling light fan high up in the air, not under anything. She somehow managed to pull the birds off of it when she was 3. Still not sure if she had mad ups and jumped from her dresser or what. 

So we had those plastic spinning knobs, and it took her about a week to figure out how to get them off. Double gated her door and we’d still find her out of her room. Right about the time she turned 4, some little girl that was 3 or 4 in the Houston area got ran over in the middle of the night because she got outside. I put a chain up at head height the next day. 

I’ll call that one a success as it took her almost a year to figure out how to boulder up the side of the window and wall to remove the chain. Teen years are going to be hell

• Like 1

Any advice for someone who’s 3 year old won’t take their antibiotic?

Tried pleading, logic, rewards, forcing it, holding her down, hiding in yogurt, milk, juice... etc. Girl is a bloodhound and can figure out all the tricks.

Discovered chewable Motrin and Tylenol embarrassing late and that has solved the fever control issue, but the liquid medicine Is a struggle..... a fucking soul breaking, pleading with a Terrorist struggle. 

She completely breaks down and for the 1st time told me she didn’t like me.

Gut punch.

Edited by Dnaguy

Any advice for someone who’s 3 year old won’t take their antibiotic?
Tried pleading, logic, rewards, forcing it, holding her down, hiding in yogurt, milk, juice... etc. Girl is a bloodhound and can figure out all the tricks.
Discovered chewable Motrin and Tylenol embarrassing late and that has solved the fever control issue, but the liquid medicine Is a struggle..... a fucking soul breaking, pleading with a Terrorist struggle. 
She completely breaks down and for the 1st time told me she didn’t like me.
Gut punch.
Withhold everything worthwhile until they take it no matter how much they scream and cry.

Or...

Put it in a syringe and stick in her mouth while she's sleeping and give it to her slowly so she'll swallow it.

we moved the kids (2.5 YO boy and girl twins, seperate rooms) from Cribs to Big Kids beds recently. Girl about a month ago and Boy the last two weeks. boy have taken to it amazingly. So far she doesn't or has not gotten out of bed on her own and he has done it once at wake up time. fingers crossed this continues. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used some of my downtime yesterday to build a new computer with my sons. We built one four years ago, and that one was in need of replacement.

The coolest part was that I got to raid the "cable box." You dads know exactly what I'm talking about - the box containing the tangle of random cables, most of which will never be used, but you might need at some point. This time it was HDMI and ethernet patch cable. I felt like a successful dad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

I used some of my downtime yesterday to build a new computer with my sons. We built one four years ago, and that one was in need of replacement.

The coolest part was that I got to raid the "cable box." You dads know exactly what I'm talking about - the box containing the tangle of random cables, most of which will never be used, but you might need at some point. This time it was HDMI and ethernet patch cable. I felt like a successful dad.

I have that box.

Having another soon.  Right now hospital is saying spouses will be allowed in delivery but that may not stand.  No kids under 18 allowed in maternity ward so my 2 won't be able to meet their new brother until we bring him home.  I'm not too worried about anything (if it was my first I'd be freaking out) but wife is getting antsy. 

Having another soon.  Right now hospital is saying spouses will be allowed in delivery but that may not stand.  No kids under 18 allowed in maternity ward so my 2 won't be able to meet their new brother until we bring him home.  I'm not too worried about anything (if it was my first I'd be freaking out) but wife is getting antsy. 

It's going to be strange having a baby in this environment. At least you'll be able to be there. I hear some hospitals aren't allowing even spouses out of concern that they'll bring in covid.
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 8:12 AM, next2naus said:

Just put the boy (2.5 YO) into his big boy bed. he was so excited yesterday and sleep perfectly in it. here's the hoping he does it again tonight and onward 

Calm before the storm....

Look into locks for the outside of the door / those knob covers that don’t them open their door.

Winter is coming.

5-year old daughter just threw a temper tantrum when I told her to pick up the stuff she tossed out of the pantry and all over the floor in search of a toy and yelled "I LOVE MOMMY MORE THAN YOU!"

that was an interesting elevation of events.

Edited by mbpcb
  • Like 2

5-year old daughter just threw a temper tantrum when I told her to pick up the stuff she tossed out of the pantry and all over the floor in search of a toy and yelled "I LOVE MOMMY MORE THAN YOU!"
that was an interesting elevation of events.

Today I was told by my 4 yr old that she’s no longer our daughter so I told her we’re going to go drop her off at a random persons house. Quickly changed her tune

Glad to see at 5 they don’t grow out of it

My 9 year old helped me with getting rid of weeds and cleaning up our backyard since we’ll be using it a lot more as this shelter in place reality extends into April. While she was out there we talked about how to tell what was a weed versus grass, how to get rid of thatch, and other ways to clean up the yard. I heard shades of my father come out in my voice as this was the things he and I had discussed 30+ years ago when I was helping him. I think I’m finally reached the age now where I first thought back then that my father was “old”. It comes at you fast, gentlemen. Soak it in.

• Like 4

Today I was told by my 4 yr old that she’s no longer our daughter so I told her we’re going to go drop her off at a random persons house. Quickly changed her tune

Glad to see at 5 they don’t grow out of it

When my 13 yo was about 5 or 6 she asked in a mouthy tone what would happen if she didn’t do something I had asked. With a completely straight face I told her I would sell her off to some shitty family for a bunch of money and buy a boat for myself.

She looked at me like I had 3 heads. It was awesome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/29/2020 at 7:35 PM, mdmost said:

My 9 year old helped me with getting rid of weeds and cleaning up our backyard since we’ll be using it a lot more as this shelter in place reality extends into April. While she was out there we talked about how to tell what was a weed versus grass, how to get rid of thatch, and other ways to clean up the yard. I heard shades of my father come out in my voice as this was the things he and I had discussed 30+ years ago when I was helping him. I think I’m finally reached the age now where I first thought back then that my father was “old”. It comes at you fast, gentlemen. Soak it in.

Hahaha.  Had the exact same conversation with my son this weekend. 

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So we now have a dog named Catboy. Wife made the mistake of asking our 3.5 year old what she wanted to name it.

That is fantastic and she will likely never have a better name for a dog.  that's up there with Shithead, as  far as all-timers go...

Edited by Iceman