Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

On 3/29/2020 at 7:35 PM, mdmost said:

My 9 year old helped me with getting rid of weeds and cleaning up our backyard since we’ll be using it a lot more as this shelter in place reality extends into April. While she was out there we talked about how to tell what was a weed versus grass, how to get rid of thatch, and other ways to clean up the yard. I heard shades of my father come out in my voice as this was the things he and I had discussed 30+ years ago when I was helping him. I think I’m finally reached the age now where I first thought back then that my father was “old”. It comes at you fast, gentlemen. Soak it in.

14 minutes ago, Modessit said:
11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:
So we now have a dog named Catboy. Wife made the mistake of asking our 3.5 year old what she wanted to name it.

Gecko would be better

Yep. PJ Masks is the current favorite TV show.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So we now have a dog named Catboy. Wife made the mistake of asking our 3.5 year old what she wanted to name it.

If it makes you feel any better, at least your kid shows some imagination.  We have a cat that the two year old named Cat. We tossed out name after name and nope "he name Cat". 

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get involved in a new project earlier this week thanks to covid, helping rebuild a website for a speciality distribution company to deal directly with consumers (board games, toys, etc.).   It’s been enlightening, as they’ve had a lot of mom-and-pop stores closing/reducing orders, at the same time that parents are going crazy ordering stuff for kids.  It’s not an Easter thing either (the bump in business in larger than their last 3-4 Aprils combined).   A lot of parents have been ordering more traditional things, which is cool.

Because my wife is in education and has been extremely busy, I’ve been having to also handle my first grader’s school activities during the day, and it’s been tough.  And I’m lucky enough to have the flexibility that I can.    His teacher has been great and responsive, and she’s working early and late hours based on emails I’ve received.  

Two observations

• Younger kids are figuring out/telling each other the names of their parents and then trying to get on FaceTime or Facebook Messenger with their friends, and succeeding in some cases when those parents are busy.  
  • There are a ton of great educational apps, but I’ve seen my son and his friends trying to game some of the apps, to make it look like they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, while they are doing something else.  

The teachers see right through it with a few simple questions, but if this is first graders, I hate to think of what the older elementary kids are up to.  

• 4 months later...

I'm seriously itching to take my boys camping this fall (off week of course). Because they'll be roughly three and 16 months at the time, I'm thinking a state park with cabins will have to do. Any recommendations in the central Texas area? I know that Bastrop SP has some decent cabins, but the dam on their lake gave way a couple of years ago so no fishing, though we could head over to Buescher if we were desperate to wet a line. Really I'm looking for an excuse for an adventure out doors and unplugged and to give them a very easy introduction to camping. Any thoughts from those who have tried are appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Blutarsky said:

I'm seriously itching to take my boys camping this fall (off week of course). Because they'll be roughly three and 16 months at the time, I'm thinking a state park with cabins will have to do. Any recommendations in the central Texas area? I know that Bastrop SP has some decent cabins, but the dam on their lake gave way a couple of years ago so no fishing, though we could head over to Buescher if we were desperate to wet a line. Really I'm looking for an excuse for an adventure out doors and unplugged and to give them a very easy introduction to camping. Any thoughts from those who have tried are appreciated. 

Checkout outdoorsy.com.  Rent an RV and take them wherever you want.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/31/2020 at 9:09 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

My parents gave my older brother and me the naming rights to a white cat we had just got.  He was about 5 and I was 3.  Mom helped us by recommending that we think of things that were white like the cat. My brother and I wouldn't compromise so the cat was hence forth known as "Cotton Ice Box"...

• Hook 'Em 1

One of my 2 year old daughters asked me what a coaster was during breakfast the other day. She's always smarter than I assume, so I figured I'd try to break it down in a way she'd understand. 

I carefully explained that the wood surface has been sanded smooth and painted with a stain... and that moisture or heat can damage that finish, requiring a lot of daddy's time to fix. I was a little long winded, but she hung on my every word.

A few seconds after I stopped talking she perfectly enunciates, "That was a great story daddy! Can you tell it again?!" 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Mr. Blutarsky said:

It's a bit of a trek from Austin, but not much farther than Bastrop S.P.  But look at Mother Neff State Park.  Obviously not the most geographically stunning state park, but you can make it in an hour from Austin, it's isolated, and they've got "cabins"/lodge.  There's some fun trails that your 3YO would enjoy/be able to do and you can pack your 16MO.  There is no fishing though at MNSP.  McKinney Falls is obviously an option, much closer.  Didn't know if you wanted to make a "trip" out of it.  They have cabins and fishing.  But of course, the airport noise takes the fun out of it.  But that might be good "starter course."  Cool that you're doing that.  I've camped with my now 5YO since she was 3, and we have---like you---a 17MO.  But I wouldn't dare take them both camping right now because they're insane when they're together.  But kudos to you.  Should be good fishing again in a month or so.  

My oldest daughter is in college and living out of state.  Kind of depressing dropping her off at school.  She cried more than her mom and I.  She’s in Utah really enjoying the outdoors.  Which is bizarre because I tried to get my kids to enjoy nature but nada.  Now she is wanting me to go on a 15 mile hike with her this month.  

I am more than happy to fly up there and do it with her.  She might only be asking me since she knows I can make it and maybe her roommates can’t, not sure, either way I’ll take it. 

^

that's awesome.  I hope and pray I get that kinda call from my college age daughter one day.  Where is she going to school up in Utah?  It is the most geographically beautiful state that doesn't have ocean costs (and prettier than most that do).  Great place for her to continue her newfound appreciation of the outdoors.  

She’s at BYU, mom (wife) is Mormon, I’m not.  We saved enough for 4yrs at UT but 4yrs at BYU will cost around 40K or less.  I’m super happy about that.  Room, tuition and books $8.5K this year. They rebuilt some dorms about 10 years ago that she is in. It’s like a small apt; 3 Rooms, kitchen, living area and two baths for 6 girls.  

The weekend I dropped her off we did a 3.5 mile hike to a waterfall.  That was fun. I told her if she kept up the outdoor activities I would buy her a Garmin Etrax so she wouldn’t get lost. 

wow, $40k less?  I know Mormons get some team discounts, but holy cow.  That's enough for you to fly up multiple times a year to ski and hike and still come out way ahead.  Obviously the truly awesome sites are to the south of Provo...but keep an area to the east in mind as well Flaming Gorge NRA.  Great fishing that was as well.  

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for a lunch meeting with a prominent Austin Mormon from BYU.  /csb

All of Dad's learn new stuff every day.  Here is mine from yesterday:

17 year old has been driving to school this year.  Yesterday at 4:30 (his normal arrival time at home) I was standing on the patio enjoying the rain...all of the sudden fire trucks came screaming down the road leading to the high school.  I've now learned the sound of fire trucks/ambulances when your kid is driving is terrifying.  No, it wasnt him.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/31/2020 at 9:09 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Wife asked the 6yo what he wanted to name our robot vacuum...he chose ‘Happy’.  So that’s a thing here “can you get happy going?” makes me want to reply “twice this weekend you got my happy going”.  

On a side note I currently fear weekends.  No reliable activities like LittleLand or Playmazing to get the energy out, hood kid pool is closed and so we rely on outings at friends houses to use their pools...if not it’s 2 days straight of trying to keep them focused on minimizing fights, coming into our room at 6am, and overall not driving us nuts.  The girl just turned 4 and is still full of piss and vinegar...switched recently from whining to instant cry when things don’t go her way.  

I used to love weekends like any sane person, but now with 3 days at home coming up I’m already looking forward to next Tuesday.  By all accounts my kids are normal and wonderful for their age, my marriage is strong and life in general the perfect suburban dream...but man long weekends can be a challenge on our sanity with limited outlets for a 6+4 yo kiddo clan.  

23 minutes ago, chesthair said:

All of Dad's learn new stuff every day.  Here is mine from yesterday:

17 year old has been driving to school this year.  Yesterday at 4:30 (his normal arrival time at home) I was standing on the patio enjoying the rain...all of the sudden fire trucks came screaming down the road leading to the high school.  I've now learned the sound of fire trucks/ambulances when your kid is driving is terrifying.  No, it wasnt him.

wait till your cellphone rings at 2AM and it's just some fucking car warranty/social security administration scam bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Wife asked the 6yo what he wanted to name our robot vacuum...he chose ‘Happy’.  So that’s a thing here “can you get happy going?” makes me want to reply “twice this weekend you got my happy going”.  

On a side note I currently fear weekends.  No reliable activities like LittleLand or Playmazing to get the energy out, hood kid pool is closed and so we rely on outings at friends houses to use their pools...if not it’s 2 days straight of trying to keep them focused on minimizing fights, coming into our room at 6am, and overall not driving us nuts.  The girl just turned 4 and is still full of piss and vinegar...switched recently from whining to instant cry when things don’t go her way.  

I used to love weekends like any sane person, but now with 3 days at home coming up I’m already looking forward to next Tuesday.  By all accounts my kids are normal and wonderful for their age, my marriage is strong and life in general the perfect suburban dream...but man long weekends can be a challenge on our sanity with limited outlets for a 6+4 yo kiddo clan.  

I don't know where you are, but our YMCA has been a life saver. They have a giant outdoor pool / splash pad that they limit to 24 people max at a time. Temperature screenings at the door and the lifeguards are on top of cleaning and social distancing. We're there 4 days a week for an hour and a half as it's been the best way to burn off the three year old's energy. It's also great family and unplugged time. 

3 hours ago, next2naus said:

You fucking pussies. try having twin toddlers (3YO) in the time of Covid and taking the shirt seriously as we are in NY. there is no where to take them on a rainy day. wife is a clean freak germaphobe. good times. video watching has increased. 

I can relate to everything except living in NY. Hope you've got a yard and a big house... 

30 minutes ago, B00M said:

I can relate to everything except living in NY. Hope you've got a yard and a big house... 

We are on an acre so we have yard and the basement is a finished room that's about 900 sq ft of kids crap. it's still not easy. Need pre-School to start up and run for as long as it can

31 minutes ago, next2naus said:

We are on an acre so we have yard and the basement is a finished room that's about 900 sq ft of kids crap. it's still not easy. Need pre-School to start up and run for as long as it can

Ours have been in preschool a couple weeks now. It's been fucking glorious. Hang in there...

6 hours ago, next2naus said:

You fucking pussies. try having twin toddlers (3YO) in the time of Covid and taking the shirt seriously as we are in NY. there is no where to take them on a rainy day. wife is a clean freak germaphobe. good times. video watching has increased. 

3yo anything is a challenge...that sounds rough. I remember when our first turned 3, literally the next day he was an asshole for the next 16 months or so.  They say newborns are good birth control and it’s true via sheer exhaustion, but three is great motivation to get snipped.  

6 hours ago, next2naus said:

I feel your pain. My twins are 16 during Covid. Whole different ball of wax.  God speed brother. This too shall pass.

Hook 'em.

We have the girl potty trained but the boy refuses and won't give up the diapers. I think we will simply put him in undies over the weekend and deal with it. School starts in a week

If you can handle it, put the potty chair in the living room and have no diaper or underwear. Straight naked (waist down). Hopefully when he needs to potty, he goes in the chair.

But what really got my son (and later - daughter) potty-trained was daycare. Having the teachers take them all potty on a schedule and seeing their friends doing it, they picked it up really quick. But kids potty-trained by 2.5.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am starting to realize as the only man in the house, with a wife and two daughters, that everyone is going to ignore me for the next 15-20 years.

Huh. They seemingly respect me so much now... But this is my future... Is it bad? It doesn't sound all bad. Is there time for beer in the garage?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am starting to realize as the only man in the house, with a wife and two daughters, that everyone is going to ignore me for the next 15-20 years.

It’s me vs. 3.  The wife neutered the dog, so 4ish I guess.

I did teach the 2 year old to grab dad’s yeti, cheers, and hookem after at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/4/2020 at 4:41 PM, Modessit said:

If you can handle it, put the potty chair in the living room and have no diaper or underwear. Straight naked (waist down). Hopefully when he needs to potty, he goes in the chair.

But what really got my son (and later - daughter) potty-trained was daycare. Having the teachers take them all potty on a schedule and seeing their friends doing it, they picked it up really quick. But kids potty-trained by 2.5.

Doing this with the almost three year old right now over the long weekend. So far it's been successful, minus the one time he stood up on the couch and let his river flow... It's a damn good thing I love him.

Anyone with some insight on age gaps between 1st and 2nd child?  My wife is just through her first trimester and we have a 5yo daughter as well. She super amped up and excited for her baby sister to arrive but I’m curious about how she will handle it during newborn phase and then later on. 

We have a three year age gap between ours. The oldest was super excited to have a baby sister until she was born. She asked if the baby was going to sleep at her mommy and daddy’s house. They are 7 & 4 now and play together extremely well most of the time. Especially considering they are together 24/7 now.

5 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Long time listener, first time caller...the sleepiest burrito, aka SuperSport Jr., joined the world today. Happiest day of my life, I would move mountains for this kid.

995a59cf21cc5e1f3a45692fd4077d92.jpg

Congrats - I remember those days well.  And that's even the same footprint blanket our hospital had for all the newborns.

And hold onto your butt - your life will never be the same.  But do cherish these days as much as you can.  "They grow up fast" is absolutely spot on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3