Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

13 hours ago, BradInATX said:

When did everyone's kids start getting into TV? This might come off as some sort of hipster brag, but it's completely not meant to be. My 13 month old is almost completely disinterested. He'll watch it for maybe 5 minutes at a time. He mostly wants to interact with people, get into every single thing he's not supposed to, and run around the house yelling random syllables. Some of my other friends with kids said their kids started getting into it at about a year. Nothing doing with ours.

We're probably going to be middle of the road in terms of "screen time" when he's older, but right now I wish his little ass would sit down and binge watch 30 minutes of Sesame Street so we can get some chores done and by do chores I mean drink a bourbon and relax on the couch.

my kids are obsessed with this vlog

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBJuxfqZuiibvcwSc8ViGsQ

dads a dork but they have fun videos for whatever. 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

My 3 year old loves Blippi.  I'd rather listen to that than all the other shit on youtube for kids.

Want to see something weird? 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/blippi-youtube-kids-star-harlem-shake-poop

He was in the air force prior to being a kids entertainer.  Saw him in a little bit different light after I read that.

My 3 year old loves Blippi.  I'd rather listen to that than all the other shit on youtube for kids.
Want to see something weird? 
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/blippi-youtube-kids-star-harlem-shake-poop
He was in the air force prior to being a kids entertainer.  Saw him in a little bit different light after I read that.

Come on. Don’t act like being in the Air Force is a great qualifier for anything. Shit, Rocko was in it too.
  • Like 2

Those looking for TV recommendations, at least until Disney Plus launches, get the free PBS kids app for your TV.  They have a lot of stuff on there.  

And if you’re feeling generous, you can subscribe to the PBS Kids channel on Amazon Prime Video, etc. for $5 a month, and there’s a shitload of content covering all ages and going back quite a few years.  Their children’s programming is top notch.   

Although their upcoming new show, Xavier and the Secret Museum, had an odd little ad where the kids were hanging out with Marie Curie, and my wife and I were like “are they fucking around with radioactive materials?”

that Ryan shit has infected some of the other streaming networks.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Ryan is a beating. I’m glad my kids don’t watch him anymore. He has toothbrushes and stuff too.

A part of me respects the parents for milking the shit out of it and making a killing.   They and their kids will never have to have a real job for the rest of their lives.   But you know he’ll be an insufferable asshole later on, both because of being spoiled with every toy he could want. And he will probably get his ass kicked constantly in school for being that kid.   

No joke, my 7 year-old son makes his own LEGO videos, and it’s been temping to upload them to YouTube.    

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 8:38 AM, Anastasis said:

We used the Swim Nazi for all three of ours.  Your wife needs to get the fuck over it.  The lady has a method that may not be the most pleasant for sensitive moms, but it is all about giving them a crash course on the skills that will save their life in a pool accident.  

Yep. We did the same. It’s not anything to mess around with.

On 10/31/2019 at 9:33 AM, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

Oh yeah, try a year old at night who has way above average articulation and pronunciation telling you on Halloween: “Daddy, I don’t fear the dark anymore.  But I’m scared of those that can’t See the light.”

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Oh yeah, try a year old at night who has way above average articulation and pronunciation telling you on Halloween: “Daddy, I don’t fear the dark anymore.  But I’m scared of those that can’t See the light.”

Did your child say “the light” or “The Light”, because, while the difference may seem small/subtle, it’s very important to know which one they were talking about.  

9 hours ago, ocugolf said:

Today marks a year since we lost our daughter Sloane at 8 months due to an umbilical cord issue. I vented here and you all were absolutely amazing. I’m extremely grateful.

This last year has been hard. Really hard. In some delusion, I thought the men must be strong and stoic. That anything else showed weakness. So I bottled everything and kept everything I was feeling inside. Friends and family started to notice I was off. Antidepressants didn’t work. Hell, they probably made it worse. I was spiraling. Panic attacks so bad I couldn’t be in crowds. It was hard to get out of bed. Then I had a dear friend go to the web and bear his soul and tell of the horrors he faced as a child. So, I figure if he can do it so can I. 

I started opening my soul. Instant relief. I’m trying to be an open book. That delusion of “men must be strong and stoic” is just that, a delusion. I pushed family and friends away for 18 months. I missed a lot, but am finally ready to catch up. If any of you all are going through tough times, DM me. There is strength in numbers. I’ll listen and share my story. I’ve learned that if I help just one person, my struggle will have been worth it. If you all would send some T&P for the wife and I today, we would be eternally grateful. 

All my best to you and yours.

i am so sorry this happened to you and your family but sharing your soul in this way is so powerful and beautiful. Peace and love dude. 

• Like 1

I recall feeling that having a newborn is nature’s way of preventing having another kid right away, and now I can say that having a 3yo is nature’s way of confirming I don’t want anymore kids at all.  My daughter (#2), is an absolute handful.  

Maybe my son (#1, 6yo now) was less of a terror, or we just didn’t have time to dwell on it as much as we had a newborn at the time...or maybe little girls are generally more dramatic at this age.  It doesn’t help that she’s absolutely glued to me and wants me for just about everything from waking up screaming daddy at 0630 to going potty to throwing a monster fit if I’m not the one putting her to bed. 

Anyone else got this experience?  The doc at the 3y well check warned me she’s entering a period of heavy attachment to dad...and it appears to be true.  Whoever coined the term Terrible Twos is full of shit because both our kids changed dramatically literally the week they turned 3. 

/Venting.  Obviously 3yo is tough and it’s my second go around, but damn I’m counting down the days until year 4.  

I recall feeling that having a newborn is nature’s way of preventing having another kid right away, and now I can say that having a 3yo is nature’s way of confirming I don’t want anymore kids at all.  My daughter (#2), is an absolute handful.  

Maybe my son (#1, 6yo now) was less of a terror, or we just didn’t have time to dwell on it as much as we had a newborn at the time...or maybe little girls are generally more dramatic at this age.  It doesn’t help that she’s absolutely glued to me and wants me for just about everything from waking up screaming daddy at 0630 to going potty to throwing a monster fit if I’m not the one putting her to bed. 

Anyone else got this experience?  The doc at the 3y well check warned me she’s entering a period of heavy attachment to dad...and it appears to be true.  Whoever coined the term Terrible Twos is full of shit because both our kids changed dramatically literally the week they turned 3. 

/Venting.  Obviously 3yo is tough and it’s my second go around, but damn I’m counting down the days until year 4.  
My oldest turns four tomorrow.

Are you telling me it gets better?

(Yes, we had the same with threes)

33 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

My oldest turns four tomorrow.

Are you telling me it gets better?

(Yes, we had the same with threes)

It wasn’t quite as sudden as turning 3, but 4 was a huge improvement in just overall disposition and self-sufficiency.  And the tantrums/whining/crying quickly got better. 

My boy just turned 6 and it’s my favorite age so far in that he gets himself ready every morning, is reading at a 2nd grade level and fosters real conversation, goes to sleep easily after a few stories, and can be left alone in the house for a 5-10 minutes without fear of hurting himself or something else...once he started getting up on weekends, pouring a bowl of cereal and watching his tablet for an hour before needing any attention was amazing, but naturally that coincided with his sister getting up screaming daddy at 0630, so was short lived.  Doesn’t help that she’s like her brother and decided to stop napping at home very early.  

I love her to death and there’s a special bond with a daughter, she can be incredibly cute and sincere in her love/affection...I’ll miss a lot of things about 3, but the overall need for constant attention and frequent meltdowns is wearing on me...so here I vent.  

• Like 1

^

Yeah, I never gave a shit about ST to DT switches 2x/year.  It's like people flying one time zone over and bitching about the lag for three days.  It's just an hour either way, be an adult and adjust.  

But yeah, our two little ones got up after the usual amount of sleep, which meant getting up at 5:45a this morning.  Meaning Mommy and Daddy's Sunday was gonna start on a really fun note.  

It's like the DH rule in the AL.  Let's just settle on one and keep it for everyone.  

12 hours ago, Homercles said:

Whoever coined the term Terrible Twos is full of shit because both our kids changed dramatically literally the week they turned 3. 

Correct. Age 3 was worst for all 3 of ours.  The first wasn’t even comparable to her younger sisters, but it was her most challenging period too.  Two was lol walk in park compared to 3, imo. 

My first-grader was watching Rugrats this weekend, and asked me about whether he was going to get chickenpox.  It was something I had never thought about, even though he and his sister were vaccinated for it.

Granted, until he was born, I just wasn't around many kids, or adults acting in their capacity as parents, so I had not thought about it, but just a weird fucking thought that something so prevalent, and scary at times (sister was hospitalized for it, as was my best friend) when I was a kid is not even a thing anymore - I can't recall hearing about anybody I know having to deal with it in the last 20 years (since the vaccine became popular).

by the way, when did the Chicken Pox go away??  I had them about 35 years ago.  Then I saw my last classmate/friend with them about 30 years ago.  Then I saw some kid with them about 20 years ago.  And then just never thought about it again.  How/when did they go away?  

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

by the way, when did the Chicken Pox go away??  I had them about 35 years ago.  Then I saw my last classmate/friend with them about 30 years ago.  Then I saw some kid with them about 20 years ago.  And then just never thought about it again.  How/when did they go away?  

Vaccine started becoming popular in the mid-90s.   I never even noticed it, and just didn’t think about because I hadn’t heard of anybody getting it in years    

The Rugrats episode was early 90s.  Chicken Pops.  Synopsis was funny

when Chas and Chuckie finally come over, it's revealed that Chuckie has the chickenpox. Chas puts calamine lotion all over Chuckie and puts mittens on Chuckie's hands to keep him from scratching himself. Didi and Betty take Tommy, Phil, and Lil outside to play and to keep their distance from Chuckie.

The rest of the babies want to know what "chicken pops" is and why Chuckie couldn't come outside. To scare the babies, Angelica tells them that when someone gets the chicken pox, they actually turn into a chicken! Tommy doesn't believe her at first until Chuckie eventually gets covered in feathers (from a Dummi Bears pillow that Tommy and the twins were playing with earlier) that stick to the calamine lotion that Chas put on him. Tommy and the other babies soon think he's actually turning into a chicken.

Tommy, Phil, and Lil notice that they're getting itchy and they realized that they've now got the chicken pox, just like Chuckie. They get scared and start to cry. Chuckie's happy that his friends are joining him, but Tommy and the twins continue to cry and scratch their itchy spots. Angelica makes it worse by telling them that the adults are going to have a barbecue at the picnic and are going to eat them. 

The other adults explain how their kids now have chickenpox, but Lucy assures them that it's not a big deal and that their kids are actually better off getting it while they're still young, as the chickenpox are much worse if you get them as an adult (especially if you're a man).

Edited by atomheartbevo

I had chicken pox as a kid and shingles as an adult. Shingles is only contagious to people who have never had chicken pox. My wife (then gf) doesn't recall every having chicken pox but she didn't catch it from me. My boss had never had it either and made me stay home for a week.

When we were kids, if a cousin got chicken pox all the other kids were brought over to get it, too.

Our 3 year-old started doing this fake crying/screaming like she was hurt or something.  Embarrassing/irritating as hell.
My 3-yr-old will start screaming like she's dying and you run in there and ask "What's wrong!" and she looks at you like you're stupid and says, "No, Dada, my babies (dolls) are screaming."

I had chicken pox as a kid and shingles as an adult. Shingles is only contagious to people who have never had chicken pox. My wife (then gf) doesn't recall every having chicken pox but she didn't catch it from me. My boss had never had it either and made me stay home for a week.

When we were kids, if a cousin got chicken pox all the other kids were brought over to get it, too.

You ever watch the South Park episode called Ookie Mouth or something like that? That’s what the parents do.

Get the PBS Kids video app on your tablet/TV/whatever.  

Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum dropped a ton of episodes (launched today).  Really cool for the elementary school crowd.  Even had an episode on Neil Armstrong, the Wright Brothers, and a bunch of others.  

One of the few newer kids shows I can stand.  

• Like 1

Get the PBS Kids video app on your tablet/TV/whatever.  
Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum dropped a ton of episodes (launched today).  Really cool for the elementary school crowd.  Even had an episode on Neil Armstrong, the Wright Brothers, and a bunch of others.  
One of the few newer kids shows I can stand.  

News I can use re episodes. I have the app but we limit Jr.’s screen time so neither of us have seen this one.

By the same token, we were at Half Price books recently and somehow he found “Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales.” It’s basically a riff on Scheherazade. Each book is Nathan Hale telling his hangman a tale of famous history to delay his hanging. It’s set up in comic - excuse me, “graphic novel” - form. Very well executed, you might say. We’ve done the Doolittle Raid and WWI and looking for more. For soon to be 7 Chad Jr., it’s the thing that literally keeps him up - trying to read - every night. I highly recommend it.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

News I can use re episodes. I have the app but we limit Jr.’s screen time so neither of us have seen this one.

By the same token, we were at Half Price books recently and somehow he found “Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales.” It’s basically a riff on Scheherazade. Each book is Nathan Hale telling his hangman a tale of famous history to delay his hanging. It’s set up in comic - excuse me, “graphic novel” - form. Very well executed, you might say. We’ve done the Doolittle Raid and WWI and looking for more. For soon to be 7 Chad Jr., it’s the thing that literally keeps him up - trying to read - every night. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, will have to check those out.  

We are trying to limit screentime as well, but with the crappy weather, I’ve let him watch several episodes.  Each episode is 22 minutes, and is split in half for two segments - he’s watched Neil Armstrong (he already knew a lot about him) and Julia Child, Leonardo Da Vinci and Amelia Earhart, Bronte sisters and Wright Brothers, Mark Twain and Abigail Adams.   .   

They are actually well-done and seem to keep even his sister interested.     It’s a show for biographical/history nerds.   It’s odd because they show the famous folks as little kids, and then keep them as little kids as they do what they become famous for, but it works for kids and doesn’t confuse them    

I’ve spent half an hour discussing what happened to Amelia Earhart.   That been the only downside.   And we’ve added a ton of books to his library list.  Not bad things.  Just time consuming for me.    

I’m going to write the producers and tell them we need an Earl Campbell episode.  

The pairings are...interesting.   The Isaac Newton episode is paired with Golda Meir.   Winston Churchill with Cleopatra. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Doomlet is stoked about Xavier Riddle. 

As far as decent kids shows/cartoons go, Teen Titans Go is funny as shit, and Big City Greens is pretty good (but will lead to a lot of bizarre stories and tall tales out of your kid.) 

Love watching Teen Titans Go with my son. The Night Begins to Shine is a great bunch of episodes.

If you haven’t started Gumball, do it. It’s brilliant and twisted with a lot of smart humor.