Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

31 with a 2.5 yr old and 1 yr old. Always tired

Spent three hours in the children’s ER last night because my son (2.5 yr old) busted his chin open at park and needed five stitches. Had to sedate him and all that because he’s so young. Fucking nightmare. Only allow one parent in hospital with them so I took the burden and did it. Having your two year old get an IV strapped to their hand is something

• Like 2

Pretty cool first coming our way this weekend. My 4yo boy is really into all things space, and my dad just gave me his nice telescope. So, I bought a tent yesterday so we can have his first campout in the yard this weekend and look at the stars. Maybe even have some smores.

When I told him the plan, you'd have thought I told him we're going to Disney. I love the age he's at, and that he's into so many things I was excited about at his age. I know the day will come when he'll be too cool to camp in the yard with his dad, so I'm going to enjoy this while I can.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back to a previous topic, I put in a purchase for Circle by Disney. I've been pulling my hair out trying to use multiple options to kill Discord on our router. My oldest won't get off it during virtual learning. I can't cut her off because then she can't do online learning. Tried OpenDNS which doesn't work with Spectrum Internet routers. So let's see if Disney can help me out. It arrives in a couple days. 

On 10/5/2020 at 9:45 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Thanks. The first couple of months were a great break. Now I just want to find any fucking job.

Fuck you (not really, it’s just the stress talking).

I was a recording engineer and also co-owner of a recording studio. I gave that up in 2005 and have been in the oil and gas industry since 2007.

Jesus.

49 w/ twin 3YO's. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Coming back to a previous topic, I put in a purchase for Circle by Disney. I've been pulling my hair out trying to use multiple options to kill Discord on our router. My oldest won't get off it during virtual learning. I can't cut her off because then she can't do online learning. Tried OpenDNS which doesn't work with Spectrum Internet routers. So let's see if Disney can help me out. It arrives in a couple days. 

what about one of those "Winston" devices?

On 10/5/2020 at 9:02 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Co-owner of a record label. Not studio. The studio was mine. Can’t edit my last post.

What was the name of the record label?  

On 10/27/2020 at 10:01 AM, next2naus said:

what about one of those "Winston" devices?

Circle seemed a lot more ease of use. I can put it on mine or my wife's phone. You can pause internet access for everyone which I'd like to do during dinner or when we're trying to just have a non-device morning or evening.  

It just came in and I set it up with my Apple router. Worked perfectly on the test run I did through my laptop. I couldn't access Discord or Tik-Tok which were two I blocked. I wish I had tried this earlier. Again, I blame myself for letting things get to this point. 

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Circle seemed a lot more ease of use. I can put it on mine or my wife's phone. You can pause internet access for everyone which I'd like to do during dinner or when we're trying to just have a non-device morning or evening.  

It just came in and I set it up with my Apple router. Worked perfectly on the test run I did through my laptop. I couldn't access Discord or Tik-Tok which were two I blocked. I wish I had tried this earlier. Again, I blame myself for letting things get to this point. 

cool, seems that Circle will   let you manage screen time and monitor not just some, but ALL websites and apps and Winston blocks tracking cookies and other Adver-crap ware that slows down browsing. 

On 9/14/2020 at 5:03 PM, Anastasis said:

Surly dads, speaking of devices...we're at a point that I probably need to start thinking about parental controls on device content delivery.  I have a netgear router and apparently they have some sort of down load solution, but I haven't look taht far into it.  What if anything are you guys doing to control content to devices?

Broham, Circle by Disney. They're running a 20% off special right now. Plugs straight into your router and you control everything through a parent app on the iPhone/Android. You can set time limits, give them rewards of more time, restrict certain sites or categories, pause all internet devices if you want just total down time, and set bedtimes for the devices. It's worked well so far. You have to tinker a little with it but it's been pretty easy so far. You can also view the usage of the device so if the kid is going to sites you don't want them on, you just add them to the restricted list. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Broham, Circle by Disney. They're running a 20% off special right now. Plugs straight into your router and you control everything through a parent app on the iPhone/Android. You can set time limits, give them rewards of more time, restrict certain sites or categories, pause all internet devices if you want just total down time, and set bedtimes for the devices. It's worked well so far. You have to tinker a little with it but it's been pretty easy so far. You can also view the usage of the device so if the kid is going to sites you don't want them on, you just add them to the restricted list. 

I have AT&T internet and they have a free app called Smart Home Manager where you can group devices and add similar restrictions to those groups. Might not be as robust as Circle but it's free.

5 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I have AT&T internet and they have a free app called Smart Home Manager where you can group devices and add similar restrictions to those groups. Might not be as robust as Circle but it's free.

That's nice. Spectrum Internet is weird. They only offer parental controls through their TV channels. We only have a cable modem with them. I went into the cable modem which also doubles as a router and started blocking websites. It did nothing. Same with when I was trying OpenDNS which is free. Spectrum doesn't like their traffic being redirected. Apple really only offers device specific parental controls and at least with the router I can turn off devices at a certain time just by blocking their access to wifi. Circle can control that as well but I think we'll just keep that the same. I'm fine with my oldest having Discord outside of school hours. We just needed something to completely block it on her Chromebook when school work needs to happen.  

My son, wife and I were in the playroom yesterday, playing mario after school.  My phone was sitting on my lap as I was expecting a call.  I start dozing off and all of a sudden I hear my phone ringing but I'm calling someone.  I look up and my 4 year old has my cell phone and is having a conversation with the 911 operator.  He pushed the emergency button on my phone and called 911.

I grabbed the phone from him and explained what happened to the 911 operator.  Apologized as the operator was laughing pretty hard.

What the fuck, kid?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dude, you can't post that and not tell us what the conversation was about.  Don't make me FOIA the transcript.  
"911, What is your emergency?"

"Umm, I dunno."

"Is your mommy or daddy there?"
"Well daddy is, but He had three glasses of his magic daddy juice after work because he said, "That fucking Karen in H.R." and now he's napping."  

Edited by Lobo

My son, wife and I were in the playroom yesterday, playing mario after school.  My phone was sitting on my lap as I was expecting a call.  I start dozing off and all of a sudden I hear my phone ringing but I'm calling someone.  I look up and my 4 year old has my cell phone and is having a conversation with the 911 operator.  He pushed the emergency button on my phone and called 911.
I grabbed the phone from him and explained what happened to the 911 operator.  Apologized as the operator was laughing pretty hard.
What the fuck, kid?

That’ll be a $200 phone call

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Dude, you can't post that and not tell us what the conversation was about.  Don't make me FOIA the transcript.  
"911, What is your emergency?"

"Umm, I dunno."

"Is your mommy or daddy there?"
"Well daddy is, but He had three glasses of his magic daddy juice after work because he said, "That fucking Karen in H.R." and now he's napping."  

Oh, he was being his typical self:

Operator:  This is the Houston 911 Emergency Dispatch - what is your emergency?

Boy:  Hi, what are YOU up to?

Operator:  Do you have an emergency?

Boy:  What's an emergency?  I'm just playing MARIO!

That's when I proceeded to grab the phone.

Funny - my company's HR manager's name is Karen.

What the fuck, kid?

When my 7 year old was around 2, she called the ABB corporate account manager for my company on a Sunday morning at like 7AM. He thought the world was falling down since I called him on a Sunday until he heard her babbling into the phone. By the time I got the phone from her he had calmed down and was laughing.

He’s retiring this month, I may need to have the girls call him one more time for old times sake.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Hate said:

Your baby already has stellar taste in music. You should name her Bertha, Delilah, or Althea!

One of my cousin’s whose wife was a huge dead head, they named one of their girls Althea.  

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

4ufoxf.jpg

My now 5 year old went through a phase about 2 or so years ago where the Kids Bop version of "Thunder" (by Imagine Dragons) was the only thing that would be requested. 

I gotta be honest, I prefer it to the original now. 

• 5 weeks later...

Those of you with kids at home tomorrow, NASA will hopefully be landing an awesome rover on Mars.

We are 20 hours away, so it'll be in the afternoon:

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/ (timer on here)

They put up an activity your kids can do - in honor of the first helicopter on Mars, your kids can make one as well.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/project/make-a-paper-mars-helicopter/

Girls are the best.  
I'm really excited. I'll be an older first time dad at 38, but I always wanted my first child to be a girl. My wife (no pics) and I had been trying for a year and a half and every month was just heartbreak. We took the test in early November expecting another negative result and were ecstatic with the result.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo Num1 said:
8 hours ago, Post Oak said:
Girls are the best.  

I'm really excited. I'll be an older first time dad at 38, but I always wanted my first child to be a girl. My wife (no pics) and I had been trying for a year and a half and every month was just heartbreak. We took the test in early November expecting another negative result and were ecstatic with the result.

Similar story to us.  Shots, doctors visits and a bunch of tears. 

I was 36 when I had mine.  We'll be the old dads at school events. 

Congrats

• Like 2

Team 2 daughters here.  They are about to be 6 & 2.  I was 38 and 42 at the time.  Many years of heartache to get there but they were absolutely worth all of it.  

Yeah, we're the old dads at the playground but we're also the dads who don't give a shit about all the stupid shit that younger dads worry about.  

Plus the music my daughters listen to with dad is so much more fucking awesome than the crap the 30 year old dads play for their girls.  "Oh, Smashing Pumpkins, Connor?  Tell the rest of us how fucking complex you are since you went to Bonnaroo that one time you fucking idiot."  

16 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Similar story to us.  Shots, doctors visits and a bunch of tears. 

I was 36 when I had mine.  We'll be the old dads at school events. 

Congrats

Yep, my boy/girl twins will be 7 in May and I was also 36. We had a nice thread on that in the old kevinmorgansucksdickforblow.com board. It was helpful getting through the shitty years and to see how many went through it. 

I've been looking for this thread. I'll be welcoming a baby girl in July. She will be my first child and I'm really looking forward to it.

Congrats, my first of 2 Is a girl. Sassy but awesome.

If you’re still nesting, last week we had to buy a new monitor for my 2 yo boy after the charge port (mini usb) crapped out on our POS Lenovo baby monitor. So we had to quick buy one. found this on Amazon and after using it this past weekend, I wish we had it 5.5 years ago.

Infant Optics DXR-8 PRO Baby... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FF4GV5C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This thing is crystal clear no matter if it’s day or night vision..has a noise meter so the screen can be off but if there’s noise, a bar to the side will light up depending on how loud it is. Good range...(5 bars upstairs to 3 bars in basement, 2 story house). Baby Room temp on display.

I’d recommend if you haven’t gotten one yet
  • Like 1

Praise be that the daycare was finally able to open today.  After the weather cleared up Wednesday, they had a broken pipe and then issues with the city turning back on the water.  It was Groundhog Day here for 9 straight days with everyone cooped up and stir crazy, and we were desperate to give the 4/7 yo kiddos something else to do...and with RRISD in limbo trying to repair damaged schools / stock food / get out of boil water notice, my 1st grader needs some interaction outside his family as he might be virtual for awhile once they re-asses Tuesday evening. 

Man it was Groundhog Day here for over a week...thundering herd awakens at 6a, breakfast, dishes, go outside, lunch, dishes, go outside, ‘quiet’ time, snack, dishes, dinner, dishes, bath, laundry, clean up a massive mess in the play room, bed by 8...all the while checking pipes, looking for leaks, inspecting the roof, checking in on friends/family, getting creative to keep the house warm, reassuring the kids it’ll all be ok, etc.  

As someone who recharges with quiet alone time, there were times where the ‘I Want Machine’ was challenging...my elderly dog suffers from sun downing and starting 2p everyday has to be within 3’ of you while staring at you, so even in quiet moments something needed attention.  

Pardon the rant, figured I’d find a few fellow dads here in the same boat.  Glad my kids got to experience some real snow for multiple days, they both did pretty well keeping each other occupied playing with their toys, and no serious injuries / house issues / car accidents / other serious problems so am grateful we rolled through all this ok even if we are getting sick of each other’s constant company.  

This is a dad thread, but I know my wife could really use a break from the kids.  Thankfully they've been alternating in 2021 who gets to be the whiney one and who gets to be the sweet one (plus she's married to my ass).  Two maternal grandparents have already had Covid-19, their paternal grandma can't get exposed to it or she's as good as dead with all her co-morbidities.  But wife's parents live in bumblefuck, KS---it's either two flights for god knows how much money or a 2-day drive (split up for the sake of the kids).  I'd really like them to try to travel down here to at least give my wife some reprieve but when people are staying with us, it's just as stressful on my wife as watching the kids solo.  I dunno.  People thinking we're back to normal by Memorial Day are out of their fucking minds.  Maybe, maybe, maybe---the back half of the summer (late July-late August), some shot at some grandparent time has a 50/50 chance of fruition.  

All that to say, I am completely amazed at how well the little munchkins did this past week being cooped up inside, two of those days with no electrical and three days with no water and very little outside time and no seeing friends/neighbors out there.  Wife and I split up the childcare duties really well (knock on wood).  I'm a pretty-hands on Dad as it sounds like most of us are but looking back already, it was a good time for our family despite the hardships.  Now back to the usual shit of worrying about money and deadly pandemics and remote learning.  Ah, just like our grandparents imagined for us...