Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

Anybody teaching their young uns (elementary school age) how to type?  Any ideas for apps or websites (preferably without a shit-ton of ads).

There's cool games like Epistory Typing Chronicles, that make you type stuff out, but first he needs to learn the proper placement/home row, etc.

I know there's a ton on iPads/iPhones, and I have bluetooth keyboards I can use, but I want him typing on a regular PC.  I will have to take a look at Mavis Beacon.  Various versions in the past 10 years are hit-or-miss and need to drill down which ones are decent.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

giphy.gif
Daylight savings and trying to get your kid back on bedtime routine... fuck youuuuu!!

Most of the school districts around here did it smart and timed the start of their Spring Break to start this week, the same week as Daylight savings.

But ours?  Of course not so my kids are wide awake at 9:30 with school bright and early tomorrow. 

Fortunately for me the wife is a stay at home mom so she can deal with the scorched earth hell tomorrow morning while I am blissfully at work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

giphy.gif
Daylight savings and trying to get your kid back on bedtime routine... fuck youuuuu!!

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I always thought the daylight savings thing was a fib. Some witches tale from the 1600s. But man is it evil...my kidless time at night tonight will be non existent

Holy shit was it miserable getting the to bed last night when it was still daylight outside, and now they are dragging this morning as a result.

• Like 1

No see, it can't be a witches tale from the 1600's because we just invented it like 100 years ago.  

Fun week in House Lobo.  Last week was first week for oldest to be back in school in-person/full-time.  So She couldn't just roll outta bed and turn on the iPad at 7:50a, had to be up at 6:30a to get dressed, eat breakfast, and get dropped off on time.  So that was a shit-show.  Then she realizes it's Spring Break so she relaxes a bit on Friday.  Then over the weekend, she refuses to sleep because it's too bright outside and then conks out until damn near 8:00a (I switched all the clocks in the house before bedtime).  Monday wasn't so bad.  Then this morning, wife made an opthomology appt. for her at 7:30a so we had to get her up at 6:30a to make it way the hell up to almost Leander.  And to her, it was like 5:30a and she was on maybe 8 hours of sleep which is not enough for a 5-year old.  I dunno what the fuck is going on tomorrow but I ain't gonna be here for it.  If we can last until Monday when school starts in person again, I'll be more than content.  

I said it before and I'll say it again.  Daylight Saving/Standard time to me is like the Designated Hitter rule in the American League/pitchers bat in the NL.  I get arguments for it, and I get arguments against it, and yeah---if I'm honest...it's probably just whatever suits my tastes that particular night.  But for the love of all that is good and holy, just fucking pick one for the whole year and fucking go with it!!!  Either it's always standard time or we make the full switch year-around to DST and in all 50 states and that's just how clocks are from now on.  Either every fucking team gets a DH slot no matter what league the fucking ballpark is in, or every pitcher bats.  The world is globalizing faster than we can possibly fathom and we want to make sure that every little municipality gets its say on clocks and the double-switch?  FUCK U!

Edited by Lobo

On 3/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Anybody teaching their young uns (elementary school age) how to type?  Any ideas for apps or websites (preferably without a shit-ton of ads).

Yes. I’m traveling but will ask the wife what we’ve been using.  She tells me our 8yo has become proficient in a month or so.  But those little fuckers are light years ahead due iPads and iPhones. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes. I’m traveling but will ask the wife what we’ve been using.  She tells me our 8yo has become proficient in a month or so.  But those little fuckers are light years ahead due iPads and iPhones. 

We’ve settled in with TypingClub.  Seems pretty solid, lots of simple lessons, and while not flashy, doesn’t bore him.  

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We’ve settled in with TypingClub.  Seems pretty solid, lots of simple lessons, and while not flashy, doesn’t bore him.  

I'll take a look at it.  We've only started the oldest so far, and she took to it.  Think it was an addition to where whatever program we purchased for the schooling this year (we homeschooled this year). 

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I'll take a look at it.  We've only started the oldest so far, and she took to it.  Think it was an addition to where whatever program we purchased for the schooling this year (we homeschooled this year). 

The big thing with me deciding on getting him started with a physical keyboard and all and going through formal lessons, was working on him typing without looking at the keyboard.   The hunting and pecking was driving me crazy.  

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody have any recommendations for where to try and buy kids bikes in Austin?  Trying to avoid the heavy mass-market bikes from Walmart/Academy, but not wanting more than $300.
Have been pouring through Amazon, but I really need to see him on the bike, so I'm iffy about ordering online.
Go to Walmart to try him on different sizes, then order something you like. But a cheap Walmart bike is a good learner for a kid that's going to outgrow it in a year or two.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Anybody have any recommendations for where to try and buy kids bikes in Austin?  Trying to avoid the heavy mass-market bikes from Walmart/Academy, but not wanting more than $300.

Have been pouring through Amazon, but I really need to see him on the bike, so I'm iffy about ordering online.

Bicycle Sport Shop will let you take a couple out to the parking lot and try them out, or maybe a handful.  Then rent two and take them home.  One in the morning, bring it back, and take one in the afternoon and bring it back.  It's worth the $20/each to see which one they'll like better (but no more than two).  You can then shop around for the best price on that bike (I love BSS, but their prices aren't always the best).  We've been getting my oldest's bikes from the neighborhood trading group online because she grows through them so fast.  But I think for her 6th birthday, we're gonna buy her the first brand new bike from there.  

disclosure-not sure if BSS still lets you just freewheel their bikes outside anymore since Trek bought them out.  

Trek, Specialized, Woom, and Raleigh have good kid lines. They’ll start under $300 for the smallest size and go up a bit from there. Bought my 8 yo a 24” Trek for Christmas. I think it was $450. Her initial 12” Specialized was $220, IIRC.

Don’t worry about that price because you’ll be able to sell it in a week for over 50% of retail. There’s a healthy used market for quality kid bikes. You can’t give away department store bikes.

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter worked her butt off in elementary school here in Austin. Great school but one of the oldest buildings in AISD. She applied and was accepted to AISD stem magnet and Anne Richards. Kid chose Anne Richards. Had an orientation session on campus yesterday. Brand new building and the teachers/admin are all amazing. 

Got to admit, it was pretty dusty listening to the principal stating the school’s mission statement and such. I have a deep hatred for middle schools given the gang/crack den I attended. Knowing my kid will be somewhere light years better, well, that’s some solid Dad feels 

Edited by NAVY
  • Hook 'Em 1

Something to look forward to for some of you young fathers is reunions or getting together with your kids after long absences.  We have not seen my youngest son(22) since NOV of 2019 at our oldest son's wedding.  He has been working in Spain, and due to Covid restrictions he could not come home and we could not go see him until very recently.  Wife thinks it will be August/ September before we get to see him.

Welp...the plot twist is here: he landed in Texas yesterday and is spending 10 days with his girlfriend in Dallas.  We like her, and there is a good chance they will get married. He originally planned on seeing us first, but she had some family plans that changed and we had the flexibility since it's a surprise anyhoo... We talk every Sunday and it was all we can do not to blow it with regard to surprising Momma, today.  She's asking him what he has planned this week and if he has projects going on and so-forth.

So far, so good.  I can't wait until I get him at the airport next Wednesday and walk his ass in the house... then I'm gonna tell her we are going to Missouri to see his older brother and wife.  "Sorry you can't go...someone has to work."  That one or her learning that he'd already been in Texas for 10 days might get me killed.  LOL.

It's gonna be awesome...and she has no fucking idea.

Not sure if you’ve got a bike yet or not, but the bike shop near me does a trade in deal. I got 50% back on each trade in Ive done. Keep the bike two years and about that time, it’s ready for the next one. We are on bike three.

T minus 6 days. Ready to wipe some butt. Just realized how much money I spent on that SNOO thing and I’m not even mad. The prior to birth proclamation I’m making to inevitably completely cave on is feeding my baby quality music in lieu of purpose made kiddy shit. Let’s do this.

3F4E7E11-A208-498E-ADD0-51F8CF247C72.jpeg

E4759884-AC88-4E7F-86EA-85F6050B11BC.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I will never understand Diaper Genies. Those fucking things are revolting.  No matter how much you spend on them, they always stink up that room/side of the house.

If I ever start to think it may be nice to have another kid, that filth bucket and the damn baby monitor cure me of that notion in an instant.

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns

29 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I will never understand Diaper Genies. Those fucking things are revolting.  No matter how much you spend on them, they always stink up that room/side of the house.

If I ever start to think it may be nice to have another kid, that filth bucket and the damn baby monitor cure me of that notion in an instant.

Is there a better option than the genie? Celery’s looks like the one we just got to replace the plastic one that broke. Works pretty well. 

On 2/27/2021 at 3:47 PM, hookemATL said:

8lbs and 20 inches long. Healthy baby girl. No feeling like this in the world!

Update:  baby girl has been very kind to us. Eats well. Sleeps well. Cute as a goddamn button. I was worried about my oldest adjusting but she has been amazing as well. Working from home with an infant is a challenge, but I really enjoy nap time. Nothing can touch you when your baby is sleeping on your chest. Pure bliss. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, McFly said:

Is there a better option than the genie? Celery’s looks like the one we just got to replace the plastic one that broke. Works pretty well. 

Much better option.  Wrap the diaper up and throw in your outside trash bin.  Yeah, early on...that's a few trips outside each day but you need the break/air.  I've never understood why people pay extra money to have a pile of human shit accumulate in their home when the trash is just right outside.  Move the bin to where it won't blow air near you.  We've got two little ones who shit like a truck driver at waffle house during mardi gras and never used a genie.  It's a small poop, or a pee...just toss it in the kitchen trash. If it's a full shit, wrap it up and walk it out to the trash bins on the side of the house.  No reason to save them up like a pez dispenser.  

Plus the break outside is nice. 

16 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We were “borrowed” a diaper genie from my wife’s friend. Never used it. We just tie them up in plastic grocery bags and throw them into the garage garbage.

Austin banned those. 

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

Much better option.  Wrap the diaper up and throw in your outside trash bin.  Yeah, early on...that's a few trips outside each day but you need the break/air.  I've never understood why people pay extra money to have a pile of human shit accumulate in their home when the trash is just right outside.  Move the bin to where it won't blow air near you.  We've got two little ones who shit like a truck driver at waffle house during mardi gras and never used a genie.  It's a small poop, or a pee...just toss it in the kitchen trash. If it's a full shit, wrap it up and walk it out to the trash bins on the side of the house.  No reason to save them up like a pez dispenser.  

Plus the break outside is nice. 

Few trips a day?! I don't think so. Not going outside multiple times in the middle of the night for a newborn.  Nor do I want my kitchen smelling like shit all day. I'll stick with the genie.

• Hook 'Em 2

To each his own.  As I said, my trips outside were not only to take out the stinky shit, but also just get some quiet time and recharge for the next sleepless night.  Maybe even enjoy a beer.  I just couldn't stand the idea of purposely hoarding human shit in one of my bedrooms.

But fuck if I know...we're starting potty training with the little one now so I'm sure I'll be out there  at night, pressure-washing the sides of the squatty-potty we have for her because she'll miss and her shit sicks like expired Cadbury eggs on a vinyl mazda dashboard.  

T minus 6 days. Ready to wipe some butt. Just realized how much money I spent on that SNOO thing and I’m not even mad. The prior to birth proclamation I’m making to inevitably completely cave on is feeding my baby quality music in lieu of purpose made kiddy shit. Let’s do this.
3F4E7E11-A208-498E-ADD0-51F8CF247C72.thumb.jpeg.ae19ffaa2d8f383a74b4210f0354e7b5.jpeg
E4759884-AC88-4E7F-86EA-85F6050B11BC.thumb.jpeg.67782ded2939ae4c59fa7a719978967f.jpeg
Nice nursery. The wife and I are thinking of getting a SNOO when our daughter arrives in July. Let me know how it works out for you.

8 hours ago, Bevo Num1 said:
On 4/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, Celery Man said:
3F4E7E11-A208-498E-ADD0-51F8CF247C72.thumb.jpeg.ae19ffaa2d8f383a74b4210f0354e7b5.jpeg
E4759884-AC88-4E7F-86EA-85F6050B11BC.thumb.jpeg.67782ded2939ae4c59fa7a719978967f.jpeg

Nice nursery. The wife and I are thinking of getting a SNOO when our daughter arrives in July. Let me know how it works out for you.

Our latest iteration was iffy on the SNOO.  Was the only thing that could get her to sleep some days, hated it the next.

Make sure you lease it or get one second hand.  $1100 is a lot of money for something they might hate or will only use for a few months.  Best wishes for a healthy and happy little one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I just taught my son how to ride a bike.  He’s 10-years-old, so I don’t deserve a medal for procrastinating, but it’s exhilarating to see your child conquer their fear and do something as simple as riding a bike. I was almost in tears running beside him.

What was your process?  I’ve taken the training wheels off my daughters bike but haven’t begun trying in earnest to get her riding solo. She just turned 6 so I’m not sure if she’s too young but figured it couldn’t hurt to get started 

Just now, hookemATL said:

What was your process?  I’ve taken the training wheels off my daughters bike but haven’t begun trying in earnest to get her riding solo. She just turned 6 so I’m not sure if she’s too young but figured it couldn’t hurt to get started 

Started with a balance bike. It’s all about comfort with balance.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just taught my son how to ride a bike.  He’s 10-years-old, so I don’t deserve a medal for procrastinating, but it’s exhilarating to see your child conquer their fear and do something as simple as riding a bike. I was almost in tears running beside him.

Don’t feel bad. My daughter is 10 and can’t ride one without training wheels. She wrecked when she was little and wouldn’t touch one until we got my 6 year old son one. Now she wants to ride his. He wrecked once and said screw it.

We went strider->training wheels-> removed training wheels. It was weird. She caught on a hell of a lot faster than what I imagined how long it’d take. After a few times up and down in front of the house she was riding around our big block. Once they get the hang of it, the rest comes naturally pretty quick .. I think

Enjoy those incredible times with your little ones new and recent dads.

My oldest graduates from college next month and when they say time flies...you have no idea until it does.

Take those mornings off to hang out and days when you can...I cherish all the time we’ve been able to spend with ours. Youngest is off in college too...hard to believe my nest is “empty” already.

• Like 1

I learned to ride a bike with help from my Dad on Christmas Day when I was 7 on the bike that "Santa" had supposedly brought through the chimney.  Once I'd mastered the bike riding, I looked my Dad straight in the eyes and said something to the effect of "Santa is really you and Mom, isn't it?"  My Dad fessed up and told me not to tell my little brother.  I became a man that day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My oldest got kickass at bike riding by age 4.  Chain bike, handbrake, etc.  It was awesome to watch.. 

But I'd trade it all for the fact that she's now 6 and can't swim to save her life.  Can't tread water, can't hold her breath, can't crawl/doggy paddle/etc.  Nothing.  We tried every summer for hundreds of hours each summer with no success at all.  She's maybe 10% further along at 6 than she was at 2.  She can't attend swim parties, can't go on friend's boats,  no kayaking on town lake with dad, and my wife is in constant terror when we visit lake houses or the beach.  If she wants to be the pool party odd kid out, I could give a shit.  My wife thought me pressuring her to learn to swim early on was pride of authorship since the only two sports I was good at were swimming and baseball.  But starting in the summer of when she 4, I'd take my wife around the cul-de-sac on a walk and point out that we not only have two neighbors behind us with pools (obviously fenced but not that secure), but on our little street 7 swimming pools and the majority of those homeowners' entire pool safety policy is to remember to close their side gates once a week when they roll their trash bins to the backyard.  It's just safety at this point.  

Any of Austin dads have any experience with that woman they call the Swim Nazi?  Because if it doesn't happen by July, that's my next call because as things get back to normal by July...she can't go on like this.  Completely and totally paralyzed by getting in any water without 2 adults and a MEU battalion of flotation equipment 

Edited by Lobo

Bike shop guy told me this has worked for many, many families and worked wonders for us.

Find a small grass hill. Have them ride down the hill (doesn’t have to be far) with their feet off the pedals and practice balance. Then have them just put their feet on the pedals while coasting down. Once that is comfortable, then have them pedal after they are at the bottom of the hill.

It took my son three or four times down the little hill each time till he was off pedaling around the field. From there we moved to a parking lot.

Good luck!!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Eat it up man.  You only get 2-3 moments like that.

Well it finally happened...a year into this mess and my 4yo’s PreK had a confirmed covid case in her class.  Entire class shutdown until 10 May, so I’ll be trying to work from home with the wild child in tow.  I don’t know the circumstances surrounding how they got exposed, but if in another three months this keeps happening because parents chose not to get vaccinated I’m going to be pissed.  

Initially was a bit  frustrated, because I have to work from home and these things (asynchronous days for the 1st grader, school holidays, etc) have to fall on me...but decided I’m going to try to make the most of it.   Wish the weather wasn’t so funky so I had more options when work is quiet.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Well it finally happened...a year into this mess and my 4yo’s PreK had a confirmed covid case in her class.  Entire class shutdown until 10 May, so I’ll be trying to work from home with the wild child in tow.  I don’t know the circumstances surrounding how they got exposed, but if in another three months this keeps happening because parents chose not to get vaccinated I’m going to be pissed.  

Initially was a bit  frustrated, because I have to work from home and these things (asynchronous days for the 1st grader, school holidays, etc) have to fall on me...but decided I’m going to try to make the most of it.   Wish the weather wasn’t so funky so I had more options when work is quiet.  

Sorry to hear.  Hope you little one stays clear of any issues.

Ive been wfh with my 6yo since March of last year.  Add to that the birth of her baby sister in late-February, and its been a interesting time to try and keep up at work.  I am lucky to have a good manager, but am starting to get some pushback wrt my workload.  I basically told him to fuck off with that shit until my oldest goes back to in person school (she did the entirety of Kindergarten virtually and will be starting 1st grade in the Fall).  

My advice is to just try and take time to do fun shit with them if possible.  I know work schedules dont always allow it, but try and tell them to piss off a bit so you can have some sanity and enjoy the extra time with your kiddo.  One silver lining of all of this has been being able to hug my daughters anytime i want throughout the day and sneak off for outdoor adventures during the work week.  Best of luck!

• Hook 'Em 1