Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

Yeah it’s basically always been me taking the kiddos places on weekends, know every park in a 15 mile radius and was devastated when Catch Air / Playmazing went under...so I have tons of ready options.  Boss has always been a ‘family first’ guy and I’ve used the hell out of it over the years, and certainly work my share of nights to make up for it when kids are asleep.  

So far today has been easy, it’s rare for her to watch all she wants on Netflix without her brother interrupting...but it’s not sustainable.  Just gonna do one day at a time.  

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I kinda miss those times...

He is now the senior VP of a major regional agriculture bank system. 

D0CC0CDC-E2F9-4CE4-A868-BBF9637749F9.jpeg

AAA83912-61D4-415E-99EA-0836F10723F3.jpeg

0856BA89-818E-42A9-B204-1D59E1D1CB68.jpeg

Yeah I think my negativity stems from being the go-to default for when kids can’t go to school/daycare because my job allows me to work from home...even before covid.  Now that my oldest is 7 he’s very self-entertaining so it’s mostly the 4yo that needs to be ‘babysat’...the quality time is great when things are calm, it’s when they’re fighting or whining and I’ve been flying solo for hours/days that I get resentful.  

I recall someone on the covid thread lamenting their wife getting sick and becoming full time cook/dishwasher/laundrymat...was like ‘welcome to the club, those tend to be my regular life at home when the kids are here.’   I have a lot of respect for stay at home spouses.  My wife is more the planner with meals, events, birthdays, holidays, etc and I keep the lights on with the daily stuff. 

Well it finally happened...a year into this mess and my 4yo’s PreK had a confirmed covid case in her class.  Entire class shutdown until 10 May, so I’ll be trying to work from home with the wild child in tow.  I don’t know the circumstances surrounding how they got exposed, but if in another three months this keeps happening because parents chose not to get vaccinated I’m going to be pissed.  

Initially was a bit  frustrated, because I have to work from home and these things (asynchronous days for the 1st grader, school holidays, etc) have to fall on me...but decided I’m going to try to make the most of it.   Wish the weather wasn’t so funky so I had more options when work is quiet.  
Happened about a month ago in my daughter's PK4 class too. 1st confirmed case in the whole school. By the time they found out the kid who had been out sick had Covid, there were only 3 more days of "required quarantine per school policy" since the last contact, so she only had to stay home 3 days before returning.

Of course, they said nothing about my son who is in 1st Grade at the same school or my wife who teaches at that school. I asked if they needed to quarantine since we've all been around the 4yo who was exposed. Eventually the principal just told them all to come back in 3 days.

Man my experience with diapering baby would be more contentious if I was more broke. She loves to get the change, just hammer a new poot in, get changed again, need a bottle, and finish off the bottle with a nice round of diaper shitting. She’s awesome.

Diaper genie has worked well so far but we’ll see how that goes as she has upped her game. The Snoo is magic. I’ll try not to make this the “celery dumping pictures of his important baby” thread but we have a perfect baby so I need to brag

7786938C-0F6B-40D7-BD93-1CFABA7B0258.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Enjoy it man. She’s precious.

On the flip side of this, my four year was running fever last night so my wife took her to the walk in ER. She has a history of pneumonia so we take it extremely seriously when she gets ill. Flu and strep both came back positive (WTF!?!?), but luckily covid was negative. Was out until midnight last night getting scripts filled. She’s up and acting pretty normal this morning when I’m sure I would be curled up in the fetal position asleep somewhere. Now we just have to keep a close eye on her and make sure she doesn’t get pneumonia coming out of this.

On 4/25/2021 at 3:56 PM, hookemATL said:

What was your process?  I’ve taken the training wheels off my daughters bike but haven’t begun trying in earnest to get her riding solo. She just turned 6 so I’m not sure if she’s too young but figured it couldn’t hurt to get started 

All 3 of mine lost the training wheels at 4.  Usually about 15-20 trips running just behind them with ahold of the seat and they got it.   All of them took to it in one sitting.  In about a week they had it down pat.  But it’s definitely one of those things that helps out when they are ready, or think they are.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Welp, Mrs. NAAL was due to poop out little NAAL #3 on the nineteenth, but she was just informed by her doctor that the baby is breech and his umbilical cord is under his feet. Looks like they are going to have to cut it out of her thursday morning instead. That'll leave me caring for a 4.5 year old girl, 1.5 year old boy, baby, and wife for the foreseeable future. Was nice knowing y'all. 

• 2 weeks later...
Welp, Mrs. NAAL was due to poop out little NAAL #3 on the nineteenth, but she was just informed by her doctor that the baby is breech and his umbilical cord is under his feet. Looks like they are going to have to cut it out of her thursday morning instead. That'll leave me caring for a 4.5 year old girl, 1.5 year old boy, baby, and wife for the foreseeable future. Was nice knowing y'all. 

Better than the cord being wrapped around their neck like our daughter. Went from oh shit to welcome in minutes.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:21 AM, Armybrat said:

Our maid service canceled last week, as at least one of the 4 ladies has the Covid. 

Nice humble brag.  Surly elite has 4 maids...

So about 2 hours before his normal bedtime the 2yo wolfs down a quarter lb of brisket and a half a sausage link with a few bites of potato salad in about 4 minutes. Looks at me and says "nappy?" 

Wife: "that's your fucking kid.. you put him down" 

Narrator: he put himself down. Kid meat coma'd himself out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Younger kid and me went out for some father-daughter Saturday fun, just the two of us. Went to the mini golf place we've talked about going to multiple times before and never did. I told her if she got a hole in one, I'd give her $20. She got 3. Then we had some shaved ice and a lunch out at her favorite place. She's big into Animal Crossing which I find boring as hell but I fought through it and we played that for a while.

I need to next take the older daughter out and do stuff as just us two. The problem is as she gets more teenagery, the less stuff she likes to do that she used to enjoy. But I see how much they value me being present and I've really tried to make an effort to put aside all the things I normally do that make it where we can't hang out together. They really do just value the time I spend with them. I bought them a trampoline for the summer and they're already out on it a lot and ask me to just sit out there and watch them bounce. Or throw them a basketball that they can then slam into the foam goal that came with the set. It's a little dumb thing but it's pretty enjoyable. 

• Like 3

Guest Lobo

Like the art director of "Garbage Pail Kids" dripped the embalming fluid of Salvador Dali's brain on a sheet of acid and ate it out of a T-Rex's ass

Edited by Lobo

The oldest finished her first year of college with a 4.0 on the year. Somewhat disappointed she will not accept her spot at UT, through cap, but I understand she likes UTarl. She passed the nursing entrance exam in the 95%. She is all set to begin nursing after a few more basics. On the side, she plays semi-pro soccer against d1 and former d1/pro players. Yet, she doesn't bat an eye or vack down, though she gave up highly competitive/college soccer 2 years ago.

The boy knocked out 8th grade virtually. He made all A's with very little prodding from us parents. I had a million dreams for him as a baby, few have come true as he is his own young man. I am okay with that completely. He is a theater/computer and games/casual soccer kid and I will take it. He cost a million dollars in hospital charges by his 6th bday. I am just grateful to have him.

Best of all. They love each other greatly and get along with very few issues. They have a tight bond and it makes me proud.

I have done a million things wrong as a dad, yet they have pushed forward to try and be their best self without any excuses. Not exceptional at any one thing but good at many things and, most importantly great people/citizens.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I sometimes hate the dichotomy I display as a father...(sorry for the novel)

It’s somehow become my MO to be the one that takes the kiddos (4F / 7M) places...playgrounds, Urban Air, pools, splash pads, etc) ever since my first was born, probably as I’d haul him inthe BOB a couple miles to the playgrounds along Brushy Creek. It’s gotten to the point that they ask me every Saturday morning ‘daddy what are we doing today’, and I can tel you pro/cons of every playground within a ten mile radius or that Little Land isn’t the same without the dress up or how I’m still sad CatchAir shut down.  

The dichotomy comes in as, in the moment, I’m doing these things mostly so I can ‘earn’ some quiet time when I get home or planning what I’m going to do for lunch or getting burned out on taking my 4yo potty for the 12th time...but looking back I see them as fond memories of us bonding, or seeing them overcome fears or us exploring new places together.  

So many of our friends have low-involvement husbands and at least 70% of the solo parents at these places are the moms.  I read about moms posting on stuff like Reddit just dying for their husbands to take the kids for a few hours so they can get a break, and wondering if my wife just takes me for granted that I’ll be giving her alone time to run errands or take a nap.  

It’s like outside I’m the fun parent, but inside I catch myself counting down the time until I can send them upstairs after lunch for weekend ‘quiet time’ so I can chill a bit.  

Anyone else feel this way?  Kinda got that vibe from mdmost’s post, which sparked putting that thought down...so figured I’m not alone.  My 7yo is really starting to ask serious questions about how things work or why they happen, and that is right up my alley which I really enjoy as someone who wikis things everyday...so I hope this feeling of ‘faking it’ is just a function of my kids being young and down the like (pre angst teen) they’ll get into stuff I jive with a little better.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Anyone else feel this way?

Yep. And I've been the dad that takes them to the park/whatever and am surrounded by tons of moms and very few other dads.

I don't complain about that, mind you.

The whole thing does wear me down at times, and I find myself staying up way too late to get shit done, and then to have "my time" watching YouTube or catching up on stuff or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Anyone else feel this way?  Kinda got that vibe from mdmost’s post, which sparked putting that thought down...so figured I’m not alone.  My 7yo is really starting to ask serious questions about how things work or why they happen, and that is right up my alley which I really enjoy as someone who wikis things everyday...so I hope this feeling of ‘faking it’ is just a function of my kids being young and down the like (pre angst teen) they’ll get into stuff I jive with a little better.  

My kids are a bit older than yours (13 and 11 F) so the needs have changed a lot from when they were early elementary. When they were younger, I found myself a lot like you. Biding my time at places like playgrounds and sports practices. That's changed as they've gotten older. Really, my younger one just wants me to hang out with her in whatever shape that takes form in. I don't count the minutes down when I'm with her. We had a blast playing mini golf together last Saturday. If anything, it made me question why I waited this long to do more Dad/kid days out before. The Animal Crossing stuff is boring to me because I hit my wall on video games about 5 years ago and rarely pick them up. But trust me, how I am now towards video games is how I wish I was when it mattered like college. It's not something I'm particularly fond of sitting down and watching anymore but I fight through it because she is obsessed with it just like I was at her age. The older one and I watch TV shows together. That's our thing. She also loves for me to take her over to the neighbor's swing and push her in that while we talk about things. That's the quality time we spend together. I don't mind as I realize the time with her is fleeting. She's about to hit 8th grade so I have maybe 5 years of seeing her day to day left. I don't want to waste that. We are all 3 planning to go to the local video arcade (that thankfully serves beer) tomorrow as they've been asking to go for a while now. The wife is going to stay home and relax after a long week of work. We have talked about getting bikes again for all of us so we can be out of the house more. The sit around routine gets old and isn't great for their mental health. 

Now all of that prior paragraph is not to say I don't love when I get downtime or a rare trip out of town. But I pick my spots. I get up very early on the weekends to have that free time for myself before everyone gets up. Either I'll hang on the couch with the dog, watch some soccer, or listen to music. In the fall, I go over to my brother's and watch Texas football. I don't feel overly taxed by my time with them, maybe because I'm on the downslide of how much they require my time. I would say if you feel this way, you should definitely talk with your wife. I can speak from experience that my wife definitely enjoys that I'm more involved that a lot of the friends of hers husbands but a lot of that just comes down to opportunity. My job is infinitely easier to have extra time for them than most dads probably have. I've worked from home since 2013 so it's been easy to find the balance necessary. If I had to commute to an office every day, I doubt I'd be able to spend the time I've had with them. But that has come at a cost professionally. Thankfully, we do okay as a couple. I'd say we've gone in stages. When they were babies, she did all the hard work. As they got a little older, it's shifted to me being the primary. When she lost her job in 2020, it fell back to her. Now that she's back at work, it's back more to me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

My kids are a bit older than yours (13 and 11 F) so the needs have changed a lot from when they were early elementary. When they were younger, I found myself a lot like you. Biding my time at places like playgrounds and sports practices. That's changed as they've gotten older. Really, my younger one just wants me to hang out with her in whatever shape that takes form in. I don't count the minutes down when I'm with her. We had a blast playing mini golf together last Saturday. If anything, it made me question why I waited this long to do more Dad/kid days out before. The Animal Crossing stuff is boring to me because I hit my wall on video games about 5 years ago and rarely pick them up. But trust me, how I am now towards video games is how I wish I was when it mattered like college. It's not something I'm particularly fond of sitting down and watching anymore but I fight through it because she is obsessed with it just like I was at her age. The older one and I watch TV shows together. That's our thing. She also loves for me to take her over to the neighbor's swing and push her in that while we talk about things. That's the quality time we spend together. I don't mind as I realize the time with her is fleeting. She's about to hit 8th grade so I have maybe 5 years of seeing her day to day left. I don't want to waste that. We are all 3 planning to go to the local video arcade (that thankfully serves beer) tomorrow as they've been asking to go for a while now. The wife is going to stay home and relax after a long week of work. We have talked about getting bikes again for all of us so we can be out of the house more. The sit around routine gets old and isn't great for their mental health. 

Now all of that prior paragraph is not to say I don't love when I get downtime or a rare trip out of town. But I pick my spots. I get up very early on the weekends to have that free time for myself before everyone gets up. Either I'll hang on the couch with the dog, watch some soccer, or listen to music. In the fall, I go over to my brother's and watch Texas football. I don't feel overly taxed by my time with them, maybe because I'm on the downslide of how much they require my time. I would say if you feel this way, you should definitely talk with your wife. I can speak from experience that my wife definitely enjoys that I'm more involved that a lot of the friends of hers husbands but a lot of that just comes down to opportunity. My job is infinitely easier to have extra time for them than most dads probably have. I've worked from home since 2013 so it's been easy to find the balance necessary. If I had to commute to an office every day, I doubt I'd be able to spend the time I've had with them. But that has come at a cost professionally. Thankfully, we do okay as a couple. I'd say we've gone in stages. When they were babies, she did all the hard work. As they got a little older, it's shifted to me being the primary. When she lost her job in 2020, it fell back to her. Now that she's back at work, it's back more to me. 

Thanks for taking the time to post that.  Couple things:

Animal Crossing was something my boy and I hit it off with, big time, for about a year...I had an inkling he’d like it and I used to play it back in the GameCube days when the villagers would insult you.  Once the ice storm hit, and we both spent a few days away from it, that sorta ended it.  

I didn’t work full time at home until last spring, but have always had a flexible job wherein I’m available to do appointments, pick/drops, remote asynchronous days, etc.   I’m grateful for it, even if my career is probably suffering a bit, I place a lot of value in having a great work/life balance and leader who always says ‘family first’.  

My 7yo and I can easily spend a day hanging, and he can self-manage easily/safely for a few hours if I need to take a nap or just be ‘off duty’.  He’s more like me...smart, helpful, cautious, sensitive, inquisitive and can be bad at confrontation as he internalizes too much.  

My 4yo daughter is high maintenance, always has been.  She’s a pistol...funny, girly, adventurous, dramatic, says exactly what’s on her mind, needs things to go precisely as planned, not natively helpful, and doesn’t dwell very long as she lives more in the moment.  Definitely more like my wife.  I can’t leave her alone due to both age and nature.  

Don’t get me wrong, I volunteer my time to be with them...but probably need to mention to my wife that she could spend more solo time with them.  Her job has been a rollercoaster this year and won’t have the usual summer break, but I’ve been the primary fun one since my first was born.  

On a side note...any tips for places to take them this summer?  I want to pull them from the summer camp program at daycare 2-3 times, with the Thinkery already on tap and maybe Pinnballz?  I’ll have the advantage of doing it during a weekday and not have the usual baggage of navigating 200 other parents all trying to wear their kids out on a Saturday morning.  Wish there was more to do near the convention center as they love the train but the car show has been cancelled two years running now.  

I sometimes hate the dichotomy I display as a father...(sorry for the novel)
It’s somehow become my MO to be the one that takes the kiddos (4F / 7M) places...playgrounds, Urban Air, pools, splash pads, etc) ever since my first was born, probably as I’d haul him inthe BOB a couple miles to the playgrounds along Brushy Creek. It’s gotten to the point that they ask me every Saturday morning ‘daddy what are we doing today’, and I can tel you pro/cons of every playground within a ten mile radius or that Little Land isn’t the same without the dress up or how I’m still sad CatchAir shut down.  

The dichotomy comes in as, in the moment, I’m doing these things mostly so I can ‘earn’ some quiet time when I get home or planning what I’m going to do for lunch or getting burned out on taking my 4yo potty for the 12th time...but looking back I see them as fond memories of us bonding, or seeing them overcome fears or us exploring new places together.  

So many of our friends have low-involvement husbands and at least 70% of the solo parents at these places are the moms.  I read about moms posting on stuff like Reddit just dying for their husbands to take the kids for a few hours so they can get a break, and wondering if my wife just takes me for granted that I’ll be giving her alone time to run errands or take a nap.  

It’s like outside I’m the fun parent, but inside I catch myself counting down the time until I can send them upstairs after lunch for weekend ‘quiet time’ so I can chill a bit.  

I feel this way…some days I can’t wait until bed time rolls around 8:30-9 Watching sports and eating popcorn in peace is my happy time.

But especially after covid and when my mother in law is comfortable babysitting again….I can’t wait for my first night or 2 away from them….selfishly lol
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I still don't know how our parents did the playground/sports/activity stuff without smart phones. 

I choose to believe they all had small flasks hidden in a pocket or a purse.

The wife and I have discussed that growing up the 80s taught you the value of self-reliance since parents really didn't want to have much to do with their kids back then. I'm not sure when that changed, maybe the 90s, but most of the kids I knew were free range with only the restriction of coming home before dinner. It's why my oldest laughs when we watched Stranger Things. She asked how that was even possible that the kids in that show could do all that with no parental involvement. I replied "that was the 80s"!

Now, please don't get it wrong. We force them to go to bed around 9pm even though they're older now because we want to be able to watch TV shows in the evenings. This is of course after they get a show with each of us (Animaniacs, Modern Family). They alternate showers while the other watches and then it's lights out. 

And Homer, your kids are my kids but in reverse. I would definitely recommend you gird your loins for what probably awaits you for when that one turns into a teen. Yes, it is as hellish as they say it is, especially with a daughter who has a particular way everything must be done. Whereas her sister is the most flexible child in the world. Doesn't get a show because something happened, no big deal and she goes off to bed. Her older sister, same thing happens, it's still 30 minutes of arguing why something can't happen the exact way she thought it was going to. And that's just scratching the surface of what we've had to deal with lately with her. I'm glad she's a naturally cautious, almost afraid to take risks type of kid. If she wasn't, things could be a lot worse. And everytime we go through something, I remind the wife just who the kid takes after because it certainly is not me. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Haha 1

Eldest finished remote kindergarten this week. Super fucking proud of her for how she has handled it, she learned a ton and was one of the best behaved and involved kids in the class. It was quite a challenge balancing work from home while I served as teacher’s assistant (logging into zoom, getting materials ready for each lesson, making sure she did all her assignments) but I got to watch her improve her skill set every day with a great attitude.

I am SUPER fucking pumped for her to be back in school in the fall (also hopeful she can get the vaccine by then🤞). She is a social butterfly and I felt for her so much this year as she did school without any of the social benefits.

For her last day, we had whataburger for lunch and then we made waffles for dinner. Been less one on one time lately, since her sister was born in late February, so it was nice to be able to focus on her for such a big occasion. Love her so damn much, it makes my chest heave sometimes. Hoping we can have a fun summer and do some things that she enjoys.  That means lots of stuff that I enjoy:  fishing, swimming, art projects, gardening, etc 

My youngest is 3 months old now and has really settled in.  She sleeps well, eats well, and is an overall happy baby.  I can get her to squeeze and semi giggle when I squeeze her cheeks and it’s a great way to cleanse the mood palate and put a smile on my face.  Obviously babies are a lot of work (been pooped on 4x in the last 7 days) but I also realized how much I missed being able to just hold them while they sleep.  Work is fucked, and extremely stressful but having her to focus on has helped keep me sane (ish).

I fucking love my kids, and being a dad  .  Best thing ever.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

My oldest finished Kinder yesterday as well.    We did 3-kid learning pod at home first 9 weeks.  She was completely remote for 2nd and 3rd 9-week periods.  Went in-person for this last 9-weeks.  It was all a challenge, particularly the third 9-week period.  And she had her little sister in tow for much of it (17months-26 months), not unlike your situation.  

It's good for all us dads to take a breath and a bow.  The kids were nails during all this.  The moms were Saints.  But we can pat ourselves on the back for one moment and chug a beer in silence.  

I love my little girls.  The rest of life and the universe can go fuck itself, most of this shit sucks.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

The wife and I have discussed that growing up the 80s taught you the value of self-reliance since parents really didn't want to have much to do with their kids back then. I'm not sure when that changed, maybe the 90s, but most of the kids I knew were free range with only the restriction of coming home before dinner. It's why my oldest laughs when we watched Stranger Things. She asked how that was even possible that the kids in that show could do all that with no parental involvement. I replied "that was the 80s"!

I'm in my 40s as well, and yeah, Stranger Things is what I tell people it was like (minus the monsters and a middle-aged Winona Ryder).

I think the 24/7 news cycle/cable news, along with the stranger danger movement, and shitty cable movies that blew real-life events out of proportion is what doomed us (or rather children).  Shit that was happening halfway across the country was suddenly in our living rooms, and even though we were more likely to be kidnapped by our baseball coach or a weird uncle or noncustodial parent, they had our parents believing there was a van with a pedo around every corner.

It's a real shame, because I think that independence back then was pretty important to childhood development.

Of course, we have too many fucking idiots driving through our neighborhood, distracted by their cell phones and blowing through stop signs or stop lights, and so I'm pretty damned paranoid about them getting hit by a car vs being kidnapped.

Edit: While it was at the beginning of the 80s, the Adam Walsh thing did terrify a lot of parents for a long time.  Things like the Halloween candy rumors did not help a single bit (even though pretty much all of those evil fucks were easily tracked down by the cops).

Edited by atomheartbevo

I'm always feeling that way when I see a really young kid with a Nirvana or Radiohead shirt on. F you, kid. You don't know either band. Your hipster dad bought you that. 

Just got back from Freeplay. Had a great time. Talked to the older one about she and I going to do the mini golf, shaved ice, lunch out deal next weekend. She was open to the idea. We plan on checking out some bike shops tomorrow. I'd like to go outdoors more this summer, even if it's balls hot. We had enough of being indoors last year. Time to get out and appreciate nature. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

iPad reco: so my iPad has become the kids device by and large. Twins, boy and girl that turn 4 in Aug. Considering a second device as their tastes in content diverges. How many of you use the cell capability? do you think 128G or the little 32G unit? My device i an older Apple iPad Air 2 Space Gray 64GB with Cell.  I think they will mostly play games like Jr Chef and watch streaming content at the house or a hotel, or where-ever. I think WiFi will be enough but its not like you can add Cell later. 

11 minutes ago, next2naus said:

iPad reco: so my iPad has become the kids device by and large. Twins, boy and girl that turn 4 in Aug. Considering a second device as their tastes in content diverges. How many of you use the cell capability? do you think 128G or the little 32G unit? My device i an older Apple iPad Air 2 Space Gray 64GB with Cell.  I think they will mostly play games like Jr Chef and watch streaming content at the house or a hotel, or where-ever. I think WiFi will be enough but its not like you can add Cell later. 

None of my kids Ipads have cell.  They don't need it especially at that age.  Worst case scenario you can hotspot your phone and they can connect to that.

So my ex let me go get my daughter from school today to take her to get her retainers after having her braces removed this morning. Big day on the last week of school. 21 months of braces. My daughter made this little photo montage to commemorate it. Holy fuck they grow and change fast. 02519518d3caf76afd9801021a75bc7f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1