Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

Meant to post about this before it kicked off, but something to keep in mind for next year:  I’ve been taking my 4.5yo to the Austin Auto Show for three years now and it’s a fun, cheap thing to do in April  

We live in cedar park, so we catch the train at the Lakeline station and arrive at the convention center right when it opens on Friday at 10am...think the total cost was $6 for admission and $7 for the train.  

Take his shoes off, and let the man roam.  There’s hardly anyone there on Friday open, the workers are fresh and friendly, and my boy absolutely loves to run from car to car, climbing in the drivers seat, playing with the buttons and steering wheel, etc.  his favorite this year was a Ford panel van. They had R2D2 last year.   

• Like 1

I did have to laugh at my son today.  I started in the M&A world in December and closed on my first deal today. I picked him and our 2 yo dtr up from school.

Me to T'Boo Jr: Hey pal, today I closed the big deal I was working on over the last few months.

T'Boo Jr to Me: Dad we are talking about pirates right now.

Pirates it is my man.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I did have to laugh at my son today.  I started in the M&A world in December and closed on my first deal today. I picked him and our 2 yo dtr up from school.

Me to T'Boo Jr: Hey pal, today I closed the big deal I was working on over the last few months.

T'Boo Jr to Me: Dad we are talking about pirates right now.

Pirates it is my man.  

T'Boo II is a savage.

Also, welcome to the wild and wooly world of M&A.   Glad I'm finally not alone around here.

I can't believe the little guy is already a month old. He's a ton of fun to have around, and sleeping through the night. Some days are hard, but mostly easy. I am loving watching him grow up, and can't wait for the fun times, where he can walk and talk.

(Blame the wife for the 1 month tie).

eSVJEHUT_o.jpg

• Like 3

I was home at lunch and the twins (4 yr old boy/girl) were having their lunch outside.  Wife and I were talking inside.  Son comes in to tell us something.

”I just wanted to let you know I needed to go potty and instead of coming in I went out in the yard”

me: Ok, great. 

As far as I know this is the first time he’s done this.  I had him go outside at his grandparents’ the other day while he was swimming so I guess he took a cue.  

Wife wasn’t really happy.  I told her the dog does the same thing multiple times a day.  

Edited by kmac30
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have now had to ask both of my sons to stop pissing in the front yard, only the back.    

One time at one of my wife's extended family's house in Houston, I was loading the car to come back home.  As I am making trips to the car, I walk outside and see the oldest (5) pissing all over the front yard.    

• Like 1

I showed my 3 year old how to piss outside , now he gives 0 fucks. He will whip it out at he park with kids around and piss on the playground . At Lowe’s yesterday and he was 2 seconds away from pissing on the bushes in the garden dept, had to grab him and run to the bathroom. Oops

Edited by Quagmire
  • Like 2

Well we finally have answers.
MRI didn’t show anything but an EEG did.   Lil Man has epilepsy with a tendency for General seizures.  Not great news but it’s treatable.  Twice daily doses of Depakote should prevent seizures from happening.   50/50 shot of him outgrowing it by puberty.  
I’m handling it better than Mom is.  She had a terrible time after seeing him in a seizure.  Most helpless feeling in the world for a parent.  You just can’t do anything until they come out of it.
I’m just relieved we know something now and have a plan going forward.  
I forgot - how old is your son?

My son had another febrile seizure yesterday at daycare - first one when we weren't with him. Luckily his teacher has a brother who suffers from Grand Mal seizures and knew how to handle it and I got there less than 10 minutes after. He was running a fever, took him to the doc, and found out he has strep. A bunch of kids at my wife's school have it and the kids went up there last weekend with my wife for some school event so he probably picked it up from a toy that wasn't disinfected or a kid who was there.

He had an MRI and EEG when he was 2 with nothing found. Doc wants to refer him to neurologist again just to be sure since we had a big gap (almost 2 years) of no seizures then 2 since Christmas. Says most kids stop having febrile seizures at age 3 and the boy is now 4.5. My mom says my nephew had them until age six. My wife had one at age 2 but we don't know much else about that (her mom died a while back and her parents were divorced at the time so her dad doesn't remember much of the details).

Every seizure so far has involved fever so I'm hopeful he'll eventually grow out of it, but he might have to do the EEG thing again.

On 4/28/2018 at 7:13 AM, Homercles said:

.. boy absolutely loves to run from car to car, climbing in the drivers seat, playing with the buttons and steering wheel, etc.  his favorite this year was a Ford panel van. They had R2D2 last year.   

That reminds me of a CSB about my oldest son when he was around that age (~4).  He was really into rockets.  He had seen an IMAX movie about the space program and it had one scene of an Apollo rocket launching that shook the foundations and blew him away.  Since then, he was fascinated with astronauts, NASA, space and rockets.  He could see a picture of a rocket and tell you which one it was.  He was like a rain man of rockets.  It was kind of freaky. 

Anyway, some friends of ours worked for the industry and there was an international exhibition for the space industry coming to the George R. Brown convention center in Houston and they got us some tickets for it (IIRC, they were free to them).  We took the boy and his eyes nearly popped out of their sockets from wonder as we walked around.  And then my boy saw "the astronaut".  There was someone walking around the exhibition floor in an astronaut suit (with helmet on).  My boy nearly shit his pants.  He wanted to go talk to the astronaut but he was feeling that shyness that little boys get and he froze.  The astronaut started walking away - I don't think he/she even saw us looking at him/her.  I interrupted my boy's stare, got his attention/focus, and told him to go chase the astronaut down.  And off he went!  He started running and yelling "Mr. Astronaut!, Mr. Astronaut!".  It was so awesome.  I can't really remember how far down the floor, or how many exhibits and crowds of people he had to navigate, but he eventually caught up to the astronaut (who clearly couldn't hear anything with that helmet on).  When the astronaut turned around, he/she was clearly quite surprised (body language) to see this boy panting and out of breath from chasing him through the exhibit floor.  And then, when my son had the astronaut's attention... crickets.  He was completely deer in the headlights when the astronaut looked at him.  It was, again, so awesome.  I explained to the astronaut what was happening and we took some pictures.  I doubt any child taking pictures with Mickey or any amusement park mascot was ever as excited as my boy was that day with "the astronaut".

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 2:05 AM, Modessit said:

I forgot - how old is your son?

My son had another febrile seizure yesterday at daycare - first one when we weren't with him. Luckily his teacher has a brother who suffers from Grand Mal seizures and knew how to handle it and I got there less than 10 minutes after. He was running a fever, took him to the doc, and found out he has strep. A bunch of kids at my wife's school have it and the kids went up there last weekend with my wife for some school event so he probably picked it up from a toy that wasn't disinfected or a kid who was there.

He had an MRI and EEG when he was 2 with nothing found. Doc wants to refer him to neurologist again just to be sure since we had a big gap (almost 2 years) of no seizures then 2 since Christmas. Says most kids stop having febrile seizures at age 3 and the boy is now 4.5. My mom says my nephew had them until age six. My wife had one at age 2 but we don't know much else about that (her mom died a while back and her parents were divorced at the time so her dad doesn't remember much of the details).

Every seizure so far has involved fever so I'm hopeful he'll eventually grow out of it, but he might have to do the EEG thing again.

My son is 5.5.  His first 2 seizures when he was 2 and 3 came when he had a high fever and we were told both times they were febrile.  Now we aren't positive.  We had an almost 3 year gap between the convulsive seizures but looking back, he had the absence or petit mal seizures a lot.  We just didn't know what they were at the time.  

Hope your son doesn't have anymore.   

Damn today was a good day.

6 year old got a triple play in coach pitch. Man on first and second, boy playing first base. Low line drive, don't know how he snagged it.  Ran to first out of instinct, don't think he realized that he had sent two off at that point. Coaches yelling at him to throw/run to second, which he finally figured out, and barely beat the runner back to the bag at second.  I wore a shit eating grin for awhile on that one.

Didn't get to watch my 9yo daughter in her soccer tournament, but she scored 3, splits two games, still in contention for championship game on sunday.

Didn't even have to use my AK. 

My son is 5.5.  His first 2 seizures when he was 2 and 3 came when he had a high fever and we were told both times they were febrile.  Now we aren't positive.  We had an almost 3 year gap between the convulsive seizures but looking back, he had the absence or petit mal seizures a lot.  We just didn't know what they were at the time.  

Hope your son doesn't have anymore.   

Did they do any EEGs back then? Just wondering if the results this time could be different from the one he did then.

MRI didn’t show anything but an EEG did.   Lil Man has epilepsy with a tendency for General seizures.  Not great news but it’s treatable.  Twice daily doses of Depakote should prevent seizures from happening.   50/50 shot of him outgrowing it by puberty.  
I’m handling it better than Mom is.  She had a terrible time after seeing him in a seizure.  Most helpless feeling in the world for a parent.  You just can’t do anything until they come out of it.

Been on depakote since I was 17. Started off twice daily but it’s just evenings now. Hopefully that keeps it under control and he grows out of it.

Struggling with how to handle my two girls today after hearing what happened at their Girl Scouts campout this weekend and how you teach empathy effectively to your kids? Long story short, my youngest took part passively in the bullying of a much younger girl resulting in that girl not wanting to leave her cabin the rest of the entire weekend. Her older sister claims she didn't do anything and her younger sister just sat by and didn't get an adult or stand up for the younger kid. They didn't get to take part in the activities that were planned for the weekend because of their behavior. The odd part is my kids are always telling me of other kids that bully their friends or them. Yet when they had a chance to stop it, they didn't. I'm in need of finding a good way to get them to be the ones who will stand up for others. We're definitely going to add more volunteering to their lives. They've done stuff before but it just never seems to sink in. Then we have friends who their kids are just naturally empathetic children. It's really aggravating as my biggest fear in having daughters was having the "mean girls". Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

I'm gonna F this all up, but I'll persevere.  (Probably adding to a thread involving serious surly Jr issues, can't post a pic and/or other dramatic infractions of surly protocol.)

Thoughts and prayers for all you surly Dad's with young un's. Snap your fingers and they'll be asking for the car keys.  And I know this thread is usually devoted to the little guys.  

With that said, I went golfing with cycloneII (30 yrs old) and III (26) and a young man I consider cycloneIV (23).  I give them their money's worth and I don't even have to pay....usually.  Hancock hole #5  par 3 (I know, poor's course, but it's fun.).  

CycloneIII steps up and swings away.  What was supposed to be a majestic, high flying nine iron that lands inches from the hole turns into a hooded nine iron against the embankment leading up to the green.  Bounced up six feet straight in the air, landed on the fringe, bounced up again and hit the flag stiff at two feet in the air. Dropped in the hole.  

I can't even remember most of the stuff you guys are talking about in this thread.  Get a grip.    

cXj0SIR.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 1:20 PM, mdmost said:

... Yet when they had a chance to stop it, they didn't. ...

This is a tough one.  It cuts to the heart of the decision making matrix that everyone uses throughout their adult life that can affect their jobs/employment and/or social life.  It's easy in hindsight to condemn people for not acting to prevent atrocities (or injustices, if you prefer, it's a matter of scale I suppose).  What's the personal risk for doing something?  What's the probable consequence for not acting?

Are your children going live like the stereotype of New Yorkers - so self absorbed, they will ignore a mugging or rape occurring on the sidewalk in broad daylight.  Or will you encourage them to be more like VAPA.Mil and stand up for their convictions regardless of the personal consequences?

The calculus in this decision matrix separates leaders from followers.  Lives of comfort from lives well lived.  The sweet spot in that matrix is going to be different for everyone and depends upon a lot of factors including the strength of one's convictions and the confidence one has to navigate any troubled waters for defending them.

~~~

My oldest son, now a senior in high school was just in Austin for the State Water Polo tournament.  They won their first two games and lost the second two.  They placed 4th in Texas.  Nice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wrapping up our 8 day family vacation. Took the kids to San Francisco, Monterey, and Yosemite. It was a great vacation. 8 days, no electronics. Just books, exploring, walking around, seeing new things, seeing beautiful, awe inspiring nature. Made me happy to show these two all the fun things I’ve seen before. Yosemite was a first for all of us. Can’t wait to check off more National parks with them.

34888971_10213852347641293_7887124706531

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

BGSjr working his way though our neighborhood baseball tourney. Top 8 teams made the series. Same 2-loss format at Omaha. My second year coaching and love it.

We (Cardinals) lost to the Cubs in round two. It’s our rival team - boys all friends at school. Im drinking buddies with their coach. Each of these two teams has 4 boys on all-star squad that travels regionally. Our games are fun and usually cook out together afterwards.

Unfortunately we caught them in the second round and have had to work our ass off to get out of the losers bracket. Mission accomplished.

Today when we beat the Royals (18-2) we did not make one defensive error including multiple fly balls and line drives caught (these are 8 year olds). Jr plays first and was a vacuum tonight. The 18 runs on our part is no big deal for kids this age. Holding them to 2 runs was a hallmark moment of the season.

The cubs will beat the tigers tomorrow and we will be back at it with the cubs on Sunday as long as we take care of business with the tigers on Thursday.

Here’s the bracket the little man has been religious about studying and a couple action shots.

d0fc2f04c9d4d93beeb0df6d5c97629d.jpg

c5f46489ddfef6e9c8eaf1cdfd00de4f.jpg

cf43ed24af04803210ded765e6836665.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 1:20 PM, mdmost said:

Struggling with how to handle my two girls today after hearing what happened at their Girl Scouts campout this weekend and how you teach empathy effectively to your kids? Long story short, my youngest took part passively in the bullying of a much younger girl resulting in that girl not wanting to leave her cabin the rest of the entire weekend. Her older sister claims she didn't do anything and her younger sister just sat by and didn't get an adult or stand up for the younger kid. They didn't get to take part in the activities that were planned for the weekend because of their behavior. The odd part is my kids are always telling me of other kids that bully their friends or them. Yet when they had a chance to stop it, they didn't. I'm in need of finding a good way to get them to be the ones who will stand up for others. We're definitely going to add more volunteering to their lives. They've done stuff before but it just never seems to sink in. Then we have friends who their kids are just naturally empathetic children. It's really aggravating as my biggest fear in having daughters was having the "mean girls". Any help would be appreciated.

girls can just be brutal on those campouts.  I have seen a caste system develop at 4 yo with girls that know each other better spurning other girls (from the same school) that are just more of acquaintances.  not hard core bullying but more active exclusion from the group.  "you can't come sit in our bunk"  "tell so-and-so that I'm not talking with her"  etc... my little girl has been on the receiving end of some it (her core group of friends have pussies for fathers who won't take them camping do not make many campouts). 

As to what to do, not sure, I witnessed some of it and just talked to all the girls right after it happens and most agreed that it's no fun to be left out or told to go away from the fun.  Several said that they did not want to exclude anyone but so-and-so said to do it.  After that it's usually not an issue as they get back to playing around and having fun. 

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Back at it again! my new boy Ace Bennett was born last Wednesday. Wife did it naturally because the anesthesiologist was a 30 min wait, while the contractions got closer and closer that it was just time. Women are so much stronger than men its not even close.  We had him cut, and screwing around with poop around the sack while keeping a Vaseline soaked gauze on his region is a lot different than dealing with a girl. Plus ive been peed on 3 times already. but he's not colic(yet) which is all i wanted after my first one. super chill kid.

34907716_10160752524525529_2559630238732

Congrats. My wife went without anesthesia for about 16 hours of labor before finally getting an epidural. Had to get a decent amount of stitches. She’s pretty tough.

Our son Hunter Barrett Schulz was born yesterday afternoon. 6 lbs, 13 oz and 21” long. I’ll post some pictures after we get out of the hospital.

• Like 5

On 4/28/2018 at 7:13 AM, Homercles said:

Meant to post about this before it kicked off, but something to keep in mind for next year:  I’ve been taking my 4.5yo to the Austin Auto Show for three years now and it’s a fun, cheap thing to do in April  

We live in cedar park, so we catch the train at the Lakeline station and arrive at the convention center right when it opens on Friday at 10am...think the total cost was $6 for admission and $7 for the train.  

Take his shoes off, and let the man roam.  There’s hardly anyone there on Friday open, the workers are fresh and friendly, and my boy absolutely loves to run from car to car, climbing in the drivers seat, playing with the buttons and steering wheel, etc.  his favorite this year was a Ford panel van. They had R2D2 last year.   

Yep.  If your kid has any interest in cars at all its a no brainer.  They get the cars from local dealers but the workers either work for the manufacturer or just some promotion  company, so they don't care if a little kid goes around scuffing the leather. 

• Like 1

Back at it again! my new boy Ace Bennett was born last Wednesday. Wife did it naturally because the anesthesiologist was a 30 min wait, while the contractions got closer and closer that it was just time. Women are so much stronger than men its not even close.  We had him cut, and screwing around with poop around the sack while keeping a Vaseline soaked gauze on his region is a lot different than dealing with a girl. Plus ive been peed on 3 times already. but he's not colic(yet) which is all i wanted after my first one. super chill kid.
34907716_10160752524525529_2559630238732517376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=536367169c140e180db25174cfbd53a5&oe=5B78E430

Congrats! I thought we were in the clear with colic with Matthew, but that has hit hard in the past month. Can't wait to be done with it.

Wife and I went to Colorado last week and my parents watched my son for us while we were gone. He just turned 2. When we got back, my son runs up to me and goes “Hook ‘em!” and has his two index fingers sticking out of his outstretched arm because he can’t make the hand sign yet. He will also say FIGHT when someone says TEXAS. Thanks mom and dad. Truly amazing.

My wife (who went to aggy) gave me and my parents a look of sheer terror. I told her if her parents were any kind of good grandparents, they could watch him next time. That’s not likely.

• Like 2

Oldest gave me a framed picture of my dad, I , and her from shortly before he passed. After that,  I couldn't watch the CWS game today as I had watched every single Roger Clemens' pitch, at home, seated next to Pop.  ESPN showcasing Roger as a dad was too much for me.  Damn allergies.

Pop, I'm pretty sure Disch-Falk is still the coldest place in Austin in February and March.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 8:06 AM, BigDHornfan said:

My younger cousin grew out of right around 17. Has had no issues since...

Touring colleges with my oldest. I love being with her but I hate the thought of not seeing her every day. At least she doesn't want to go far for undergrad. She wants to be a GP in a hospital and I know nothing about getting into medical school.

Proud of her though, spent all of 20 minutes on the UofH campus and said "Not a chance". :) She loves UT and Rice(furk), so far.

Edited by pacman

Fuck all y’all having glorious beach time. My wife and I flew back from Portland on Sunday on a full, 4hr SW flight. My 4yo was great but the 2yo absolutely wasn’t having it and I spent probably half the flight chasing her up/down the aisle, standing in the rear galley or desperately working with my wife to try to entertain her.

We were ‘that family’ and I hated it. I ended up both writing an email and posting on their FB page to specifically thank two of the cabin for being so understanding, compassionate and flexible. It was one of those flights where the seatbelt sign was on 90% of the time (no turbulence really so not sure wtf there), I told the two ladies I was desperate and they responded ‘legally I’m required to tell you to take your seat...but I understand *wink*’ so got to know them real well as I continually got in their way in the crowded galley to keep my girl from throwing tantrums.

My daughter took such a liking to them she would walk back there over and over to wave, smile and say hi over and over. All the new toys, books and snacks my wife packed were to no avail. Most of the passengers gave me knowing smiles and would wave at her, but I felt terrible as we walked the aisle probably 30 times.

I used to hate SW cattle call boarding but their cabin crew are so amazing this was the third time I wrote them a thank you naming crew members who made flying with children a little less painful.

I once saw a mom flying solo with a tantrum throwing 3yo girl and quiet 6yo boy. She was miserable. At one point a stewardess took the baby to show her around the galley while another announced on the PA that while the SW staff couldn’t accept tips, the drink service cart would be operated by that 6yo boy who certainly could accept tips. That 10m break they gave the Mom completely changed her demeanor the rest of the flight and the boy yelled when he got back to his seat ‘Mom I made $11 serving drinks!’ I was sold on SW after that moment.

• Like 2