Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

It saved us with colic baby #1...until she outgrew it. Lulz.

We all just need to remember..the time will come when they start sleeping for 11-12 hrs. My almost 3 yr old does now. Months 0-12 she was a time bomb. I'm sure I've vented plenty about her in this thread before. The light is at the end of the tunnel. Although dim...its there.

Took a trip to Japan with the boys (8 and 5) earlier this summer.  Got them a Gundam pachinko machine as a joint birthday present and am building a cabinet for it.  Will post pictures when it's finished.
You can probably get a free cabinet off of craigslist when someone dumps another nonworking pachinko. I've gotten rid of 2 or 3 over the past few years.

34 minutes ago, Modessit said:
55 minutes ago, dark54555 said:
Took a trip to Japan with the boys (8 and 5) earlier this summer.  Got them a Gundam pachinko machine as a joint birthday present and am building a cabinet for it.  Will post pictures when it's finished.

You can probably get a free cabinet off of craigslist when someone dumps another nonworking pachinko. I've gotten rid of 2 or 3 over the past few years.

Lot more vintage cabs than modern ones.  I'm about 80% done withe the build; just need to finish up some filler, sanding, and painting.  

Mrs.'s FromTheMailRoom and I are strongly considering "No Mas" after kiddo number 2.  We're officially sleeping in separate rooms and in shifts because numero 2 isn't sleeping, at all.  We've tried shushers, swadddles, pretty much everything.  I'm too old for this shit.  @T’Boo Ted Marshall Apologies I haven't gotten back to your email.  Shits pretty cray around the MailRoom house right now.

• Like 1

Mrs.'s FromTheMailRoom and I are strongly considering "No Mas" after kiddo number 2.  We're officially sleeping in separate rooms and in shifts because numero 2 isn't sleeping, at all.  We've tried shushers, swadddles, pretty much everything.  I'm too old for this shit.  [mention=479]T’Boo Ted Marshall[/mention] Apologies I haven't gotten back to your email.  Shits pretty cray around the MailRoom house right now.

Is the baby still bottle feeding? My oldest had issues with a couple of types of formula and it took us a while to get it straightened out.

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Is the baby still bottle feeding? My oldest had issues with a couple of types of formula and it took us a while to get it straightened out.

She’s breastfeeding.  It’s not gerd or colic.  We think she’s just a hyper aggressive eater and gives her self a lot of gas.  We’re going to try mylicon/gripe water before and after feedings.  

The gas is pretty bad - she has adult sounding burps and struggles to squeeze out poops.

We officially caved today and hired a night nanny service.  Monday through Friday from 10pm to 6am.   $25 an hour.  The nanny will handle everything while we sleep and will sleep train the baby.  We're going to have her around for 3 weeks to see how it works out.  $3000 to keep our sanity in tact.  

7 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

We officially caved today and hired a night nanny service.  Monday through Friday from 10pm to 6am.   $25 an hour.  The nanny will handle everything while we sleep and will sleep train the baby.  We're going to have her around for 3 weeks to see how it works out.  $3000 to keep our sanity in tact.  

I did it and it worked great for me, until the 4 month sleep regression hit. 

Pics of the night nanny?

I have a friend who was gifted a week of night nurse time as part of their baby shower gifts, and they ended up getting about another 4 weeks of it in total. Said it was the best gift they ever got.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:
13 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I have a friend who was gifted a week of night nurse time as part of their baby shower gifts, and they ended up getting about another 4 weeks of it in total. Said it was the best gift they ever got.

I didn't get as many nights as Glen, and I have twins so was more expensive, but had one for 3 days a week for 3 weeks, and it was a lifesaver for us. So your friend was probably correct, at that point, the cost of a good nights sleep is hard to measure. 

We're taking our 1-year-old on his first flight next week - it'll be about two hours in the air. I'm pushing to just knock him out with Benadryl and my wife is mostly on board. Any other advice? He's a mostly pretty chill, but sometimes he enjoys a good scream.

On 7/16/2018 at 11:04 AM, Lobwedgephil said:

I did it and it worked great for me, until the 4 month sleep regression hit. 

We started the 4 month sleep regression about three weeks ago.... thought it was ending last week, but past two nights have been living hell. Just absolutely losing his mind trying to put him down and then not sleeping for very long stretches, waking up, wanting to play, losing his mind, repeat. 

We have read and read about it..... any advice? Not sleeping is one thing, having the kid scream at us for hours at night is another. 

On 7/16/2018 at 1:07 PM, Goofyboy said:

I remember that one. There’s also one around 8 months.

How is it compared to 4month? Not sure how many of these I can take

8 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

We started the 4 month sleep regression about three weeks ago.... thought it was ending last week, but past two nights have been living hell. Just absolutely losing his mind trying to put him down and then not sleeping for very long stretches, waking up, wanting to play, losing his mind, repeat. 

We have read and read about it..... any advice? Not sleeping is one thing, having the kid scream at us for hours at night is another. 

Well, every baby is different, but for me the 4 month sleep regression lasted almost 6 weeks, lots of teething probably kept it going. Haven't really had one since then, at 15 months now,. (Knocks on wood) 

9 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

We had our first night, last night with the night nanny.   Best fucking money I've ever spent in my life.  Even if you do it for a few days here and there, it's totally worth the money.

1 minute ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Well, every baby is different, but for me the 4 month sleep regression lasted almost 6 weeks, lots of teething probably kept it going. Haven't really had one since then, at 15 months now,. (Knocks on wood) 

God almighty. Did yall do anything specific to get out of it? Or did it just end? 

1 minute ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

We had our first night, last night with the night nanny.   Best fucking money I've ever spent in my life.  Even if you do it for a few days here and there, it's totally worth the money.

We had considered it during pregnancy, but we ultimately decided to go single income with the wife at home so that she can deal with sleep issues (and everything else) without having to worry about waking up for a job. 

1 minute ago, HoustonFrog said:

God almighty. Did yall do anything specific to get out of it? Or did it just end? 

We had considered it during pregnancy, but we ultimately decided to go single income with the wife at home so that she can deal with sleep issues (and everything else) without having to worry about waking up for a job. 

I'd say give it a shot at least just to give her a break.  It helps with everyone's sanity when your wife isn't tired or going bat shit because she's sleep deprived.  It runs about $25-30 an hour.  Get here a few days to use here and there through an agency and tell her it's her xmas present.  

7 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Just ended, out of nowhere slept through the night, and it just continued on like that after that. 

4 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I'd say give it a shot at least just to give her a break.  It helps with everyone's sanity when your wife isn't tired or going bat shit because she's sleep deprived.  It runs about $25-30 an hour.  Get here a few days to use here and there through an agency and tell her it's her xmas present.  

Definitely a good idea depending how long this continues. Prior to this everything was great. I do worry, and she will especially, that having a night nanny won't help for when it's up to us putting him to sleep. Kind of like a bandaid if we can't afford to do it long term. 

5 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Definitely a good idea depending how long this continues. Prior to this everything was great. I do worry, and she will especially, that having a night nanny won't help for when it's up to us putting him to sleep. Kind of like a bandaid if we can't afford to do it long term. 

It's meant to be a bandaid for rough patches which this sounds like.  They basically do everything you do and just give you a break from doing it.  The routine will be the same and if you get one with the right certifications, they can even help you sleep train the baby.  I'll pm you the agency we're using.

• Like 1

Our six week old has 2 straight nights of midnight-5ers which is lifesaving. Only problem is he is up from about 8 or 9pm-,midnight and his 3 yr old sister is suddenly waking up to cry at 11 after going to bed at 10.

Sooo ready for this stage to be over with and having 2 kids go to bed at x o'clock and sleeping until 9 or 10 am.

3 yr old sister is suddenly waking up to cry at 11 after going to bed at 10.

This is what my 4.5 year old son is doing. About one hour adter falling asleep wakes up crying then is back to sleep for the rest of the night. My wife thinks it's "night terrors" which apparently I suffered through when I was little.

We have 6 yr old and twins that are almost 5. We almost took the plunge a year ago but the risk of twins was too high so we didn’t. All this baby sleep talk is such a whip. I can’t imagine going back to that phase. Good luck to you guys. I don’t remember any of this.

7 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

4 and a 1 year old here.  1 year old goes down about 7:30 and sleeps 12 hours.  The 4 year old goes down about 8:30 and sleeps until 7:30.  We did a night nanny as well and it was the best $ I've ever spent.  

username checks out

10 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Just ended, out of nowhere slept through the night, and it just continued on like that after that. 

Can verify. Our kid is 2 now and he rarely wakes during the night. Sleep regressions were tough. Combining with pushing teeth and it’s living hell. Hell, he slept until 10 on Thursday morning and 10:30 Wednesday morning. Growth spurt time!

Edited by pearlandhorn

Ex-mshomesick signed little homesick up for acting camp (it’s her week with him). So yesterday was his camp’s closing, and the kiddos put on a play for the parents. Needless to say, this group of 7yr olds wasn’t highly motivated, and in my opinion, their performance left much to be desired. Due to boredom, I sent this gif to the ex, who was sitting two rows in front of me with her flavor of the month. I chuckled when I saw her look down, and immediately get up and leave because she started laughing. If I can still push her buttons, I will.

a35cd24ceb7f1a889b3e899931dbf4bd.gif

Yall motherfuckers are scaring me. I’ve enjoyed 33 years of selfish me first living and now I have my first due in September. 

Halp. 

Get. Fucking. Sleep.

Then, get ready to start really enjoying your life. I never thought that I could care about anyone/anything more than myself, until the day my son was born. You’ll be impressed with yourself.

• Like 2

I truly miss when my daughter was a baby and I could hold her for hours while she slept. She is 3.5 now and almost done with naps, but every once in awhile she’ll crawl in my lap and doze off. Best thing ever. 

I really enjoyed that with both of mine. They’ll still do it some. My little girl just turned 8 and little boy just turned 4. I just hold them and smile.
  • Like 1

Yall motherfuckers are scaring me. I’ve enjoyed 33 years of selfish me first living and now I have my first due in September. 

Halp. 

Congrats! Looking forward to your 3:15 am contributions. Thank god for Netflix at that time. Start queuing some easy shows to watch like parks and rec/ the office to get you through those dark hours. Shows you can watch half asleep and doesnt matter if you skip through half of it
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I truly miss when my daughter was a baby and I could hold her for hours while she slept. She is 3.5 now and almost done with naps, but every once in awhile she’ll crawl in my lap and doze off. Best thing ever. 

Same, except mine is 16 now!