Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

18 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Get. Fucking. Sleep.

Then, get ready to start really enjoying your life. I never thought that I could care about anyone/anything more than myself, until the day my son was born. You’ll be impressed with yourself.

This.  It's amazing what millennia of evolution will do.  It's almost like we're programmed to have kids and take care of them.

This.  It's amazing what millennia of evolution will do.  It's almost like we're programmed to have kids and take care of them.

That’s exactly right. Once I had kids I have zero doubt the meaning of life is to perpetuate the species and slowly move the evolutionary ball down the field a yard at a time...it’s not very romantic as a notion but it sure wires you to give everything you got for your kids.

And yes sleep and free time are gone for a long time when you have young kids. For the love of God, please enjoy sitting still in a quiet house for me right now...those of you without kids...with my 2yo/5yo it’s absolutely impossible except after about 8. Oh and spontaneous, frequent sex...one of our key motivators for getting away from the kids regularly.

My wife and I were joking about how day-dates changed (she’s off for summer)...Friday we cleaned out the garage, went to Costco, ate drive thru PDQ on the couch watching Goliath, and took a nap followed by a quickie before getting the kids from daycare. Five years ago we’d have gone to town lake for a walk, eaten some trailer food, grabbed a bottle of wine and come back to ‘Netflix and chill’ all evening.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think my almost two year old is learning bad habits from Daniel Tiger. Used to be if she had to poop she would tell us she had to poop. Now she says her tummy hurts.

According to my 2 and 4 year olds, they have stomach aches pretty much all the time every day. Whether it's because they're hungry, they don't want to eat the food we're giving them, they ate too many sweets, they didn't eat enough sweets, they need to poop, they pooped too much, etc.

I cannot WAIT until my kids are out of daycare. We get one into pre-K at the end of August, and then my son will be out in two more years. Daycare is almost exactly as much as my mortgage, and that was at a CHEAP place. The daycare was purchased about a year and a half ago, and she's raised tuition on new enrollees by about 40%. If both of my kids enrolled now, we would be paying more than $2,200 a month for daycare. Fuck. That. Shit. 

• Like 2

Just now, irishtexan said:

I cannot WAIT until my kids are out of daycare. We get one into pre-K at the end of August, and then my son will be out in two more years. Daycare is almost exactly as much as my mortgage, and that was at a CHEAP place. The daycare was purchased about a year and a half ago, and she's raised tuition on new enrollees by about 40%. If both of my kids enrolled now, we would be paying more than $2,200 a month for daycare. Fuck. That. Shit. 

I feel you.  We've got 2 weeks left at Primrose.  Added it up the other day and we've given them $70k over the last 5 years.  Hello $14,000 raise! 

6 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I feel you.  We've got 2 weeks left at Primrose.  Added it up the other day and we've given them $70k over the last 5 years.  Hello $14,000 raise! 

What superfluous, selfish thing are you gonna buy after you don't have to cut that check anymore? I told my wife I was gonna buy a boat.

On 7/25/2018 at 11:34 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lol.  Another reason I'm happy my wife allergic to dogs.(assuming you have a dog they're copying)

We don't have a dog, yet.  Wife (no pics) had him that morning, and she swears she has no idea when and how he could have possibly done it.  One of the great mysteries of being parents.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:24 AM, solamente73 said:

Walked into the bathroom this morning and was greeted by this skid mark on one of the bath mats.

41825837470_cce589cbb8_c.jpg

Should have put something in the picture for scale.  It was epic.

You need to man up and take the culprit down a peg or two.  Only way to reestablish your dominance over the household.

One more year with the youngest.

5 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeh daycare sucks, but we went nuclear route.... SAHM.  $14k a year is brutal, but losing an entire (pretty decent) income is a game changer. Granted it makes my job of going to work 100x times easier

This. 

• Like 1

Last day of preschool was this past Wednesday. It was a great daycare for Chad Jr. as they learned a shit ton and all in Spanish so I feel like we got something beyond just letting him play all day. But I’m so looking forward to getting the income boost.

We discussed the wife taking a break for a few years to stay at home with the kids. Ultimately we decided that even with her teacher's salary, we're still bringing in more money. And then there's the probability that, after she has been taking care of the kids all day, when I get home she will want to unload them on me for the evening. And there's no way I'm going to be ready to take care of both the kids after having worked my office job all day. It didn't seem equitable in any way. 

One thing I did notice about the teachers in our area, was they have child care provided at a few of the elementary schools, extremely discounted or free of cost.  Definitely one of the few perks they can really brag about.  We threw our name into the wait-list (they allow area residents to enroll if there are vacancies), but likely we're going the Primrose route.  

Daycare wasn't discounted enough at my wife's school to make it worth the shitty daycare conditions they offer - a ton of kids in a small room with few teachers and no educational curriculum. They were there to make sure your kids don't die, and that's about it. 

On 7/31/2018 at 9:36 AM, irishtexan said:

We discussed the wife taking a break for a few years to stay at home with the kids. Ultimately we decided that even with her teacher's salary, we're still bringing in more money. And then there's the probability that, after she has been taking care of the kids all day, when I get home she will want to unload them on me for the evening. And there's no way I'm going to be ready to take care of both the kids after having worked my office job all day. It didn't seem equitable in any way. 

We tried it with the first one.  Was a total shit show. Nobody was happy. 

Yeah I exclusively do the morning part given my wife’s time requirements for shower, hair, makeup, etc. We got up at 515 before kids and we do the same after kids, and given I can be ready in 15m the onus falls on me. It sucks but it is what it is. We split the evening duties.

The part that wears me down is I do the same routine during summer 3 days a week and she mostly sleeps in but then still gets anxious/moody when she’s running behind during the school year...want to ask how she thinks I feel, since the boy gets up in the middle of the night to come sleep on the couch, I get zero kid-free time every morning as he’s right there needing food/clothes/etc the instant I wake up while she has coffee alone doing makeup.

Anyways, just venting. Morning routines are hard work.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:01 AM, PvilleStang said:

One thing I did notice about the teachers in our area, was they have child care provided at a few of the elementary schools, extremely discounted or free of cost.  Definitely one of the few perks they can really brag about.  We threw our name into the wait-list (they allow area residents to enroll if there are vacancies), but likely we're going the Primrose route.  

Are you in the neighborhood by the hospital?  I'd be curious to know if there's any difference between the pricing at different primrose.  Our oldest went there when we lived up north.

So I know this was talked about on the old site but don’t want to sort through that shit show.

My son turns 5 jul 25th, i have heard some saying hold him back a year and other say go for it?

He’s in private pre k now so he’s used to school already, I would think he’s ready next year.

Ask him and his teachers.  The teachers will know if he has the maturity to go on and hopefully the kid will be excited.  If he is immature (for a five yo) and doesn't do well with class structure, maybe hold him back.  If not, send him.   

Whatever you decide, don't be ones that hold back their kids for some stupid fucking sports related reason.  

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns

We have a deal. Wife handles just about all kid stuff during week (during working hours) and I get weekends. I have been taking oldest to gymnastics one night a week and I take son to tball. Other than that, it’s pretty much all her.

When school starts, I want to take our oldest to school every morning (1st grade). Since I remember my kids are either asleep or just waking up when I’m leaving for work, so this will be new for me.

So I know this was talked about on the old site but don’t want to sort through that shit show.

My son turns 5 jul 25th, i have heard some saying hold him back a year and other say go for it?

He’s in private pre k now so he’s used to school already, I would think he’s ready next year.
Depends on the kid. My kid is ready but won't be 5 until Nov so another year of daycare for us.

40 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Our son is turning 6 on Saturday and just finished Kindergarten at Primrose this past school year.  We decided a few months back to have him repeat Kindergarten this year at public school.  We are doing it mainly because we feel he's not quite there emotionally.   His kinder teacher at Primrose agreed with us although she did say he was more than ready educationally for 1st grade.  

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I exclusively do the morning part given my wife’s time requirements for shower, hair, makeup, etc. We got up at 515 before kids and we do the same after kids, and given I can be ready in 15m the onus falls on me. It sucks but it is what it is. We split the evening duties.

The part that wears me down is I do the same routine during summer 3 days a week and she mostly sleeps in but then still gets anxious/moody when she’s running behind during the school year...want to ask how she thinks I feel, since the boy gets up in the middle of the night to come sleep on the couch, I get zero kid-free time every morning as he’s right there needing food/clothes/etc the instant I wake up while she has coffee alone doing makeup.

Anyways, just venting. Morning routines are hard work.

Morning are easy for me, harder for the wife.  I am guessing the lower frequency of my voice allows it to penetrate the skulls/filter of the kids that the wife's voice cannot reach.  The fact that I established a nice routine (hey you can watch a show in the morning while you eat AFTER you get dressed) has motivated the big ones to get ready within 5 minutes on their own.  Wife wants to cancel morning show and return to the unfocused chaos.   So I switched them to music.    The boy helps make breakfast and I make about 1/2 of their lunches the night before after they go to bed.    We only have 3 kids though (~2-7yrs).