Are food and beer available early at State Fair?

Wiler77

16 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yeah, the best thing about the 11am kick is all the vendors are open by 8am. When we had the afternoon kick a while back, lots of them didn't open til 10, and then there were lots of lines and rabble. 

Our plan every year: Park at the fair by 7am. Drink in the parking lot til 745 to create a solid base.

Corny dog at 8am. Fried butter with cinnamon and honey at 820am. Food court at 830am, assorted foods and beers.

Enter stadium at 1030am.

Leave stadium at 3pm, head to the far corners of the fair away from the shitshow on Nimitz.

Hang until 10pm, consuming a minimum of 5000 calories and a hunnerd dollars worth of coopins.

5000 calories for $100 in coupons is a solid deal.  Wife, kids and I went bye week Saturday and easily spent 100 coupons per hour over 5 hours.  4 Fletchers and 2 beers set you back almost 70 coupons right there.  

On 10/6/2019 at 8:00 PM, MotownHorn said:

When I was earning my PhD we canceled Friday classes when I was both a TA and an instructor.

No reason to teach to a half empty classroom.

My Junior year I had Man 320F and I got the asshole prof, the one no one else wanted.  Fucker claimed to be a massive Longhorns fan, went to all the games, etc.

He gave us the original syllabus showing our mid-term test being given 3rd week of Oct.   about 1 week after add/drop deadline the fucker updated his syllabus and suddenly the  test was being given the Mon after ou.  

I went and talked to him at the end of that class and basically double-checked that he knew what that Monday was.  The fucker LAUGHED and said yes, I am aware, but I am going on vacation next week, so ha!

surprise, surprise, failed the test,  Q-drop was a day or 2 later, managed to Q drop before getting totally fucked, but still pissed that asshole made me pay for the class only to change the fucking test date.

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

I am thinking Del Conte must be trolling people.   with the exception of 2017 when it was the 2:30 game, the last 10 years its been the 11am game, and Ive been in the valet parking lot at exactly 7am, on the fair grounds by 7:10, and fletchers/ wax cup in hand by no later than 7:30am

oh yeah, and the Texas Exes tailgate near gate 5 is serving beer by around 7:30a as well.

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Also, just FYI, they make plastic flasks...

just make sure its the plastic flasks without the hyper-cheap metal cap.  lost a traveler in 2001 because of that.   (well that and the fact that it was 3 weeks after 9/11 and we were scanned 3 times before getting into the fair.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

5000 calories for $100 in coupons is a solid deal.  Wife, kids and I went bye week Saturday and easily spent 100 coupons per hour over 5 hours.  4 Fletchers and 2 beers set you back almost 70 coupons right there.  

That's a per person minimum, not a cumulative!  I may try to keep a running tally this year, and really should be able to rack it up, since it's gonna be in the 60s instead of the 90s like the last couple years. We also usually share lots of items as a group to allow maximum variety, lots of items if you just did it yourself, you're getting KO'd too fast.  Obv everyone has to have their own Fletcher's (or 2). I had two and a Cheesy Pup last year.

Edited by TXSooner518

5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

just make sure its the plastic flasks without the hyper-cheap metal cap.  lost a traveler in 2001 because of that.   (well that and the fact that it was 3 weeks after 9/11 and we were scanned 3 times before getting into the fair.

That's the exact same day those jackwagons tried to confiscate my favorite pocket knife.  I told them no way and stashed it in some bushes outside the gate, retrieved it later on my way out.

BTW, this game's never been 'cheap', but wtf happened before last year's game that shot ticket prices up through the statosphere?

I've been to 30 or so TX-ou games since '83, but got damn, I can't justify $300+/person. FML.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

BTW, this game's never been 'cheap', but wtf happened before last year's game that shot ticket prices up through the statosphere?

I've been to 30 or so TX-ou games since '83, but got damn, I can't justify $300+/person. FML.

I have noticed that too, scored my tickets last year after we looked like dogshit against tulsa for 160 a piece... I think this year I am priced out, might just hit the fair. 

Being experienced on Stubhub though, the prices drop quickly as the game approaches. The issue here is that the tickets need to be physical tickets and the instant download doesn't work, which means we are screwed for getting the last second deals right before kickoff. (Got super cheap La Tech tickets with the wait till kickoff method)

• Like 1

StubHub will have last minute pickup booths in Dallas. Pretty sure they actually have one at the fair. Can't take it alllll the way to kick, but closer than you could if they didn't have those, and you still get to take advantage of the desperation.

StubHub is brutal on higher price tickets though, because the fees just make ya wanna puke. 

6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

StubHub will have last minute pickup booths in Dallas. Pretty sure they actually have one at the fair. Can't take it alllll the way to kick, but closer than you could if they didn't have those, and you still get to take advantage of the desperation.

StubHub is brutal on higher price tickets though, because the fees just make ya wanna puke. 

raw

The problem is face value keeps going up every year. Combine $150 face value, stubhub’s 15% fee to the seller, and the demand for the game, the secondary market gets unreasonable pretty quickly. It also amazes me that the cotton bowl/UT/OU have convinced the market that the seats in the top row have the same face value as the seats downstairs in the shade. 

Seat Geek sent my brother an email saying the inventory he bought was no longer available. Luckily they have to offer something else and just can't tell you tough shit. Guessing the cock sucker selling the tickets got a better offer and took them off. What an asshole. 

16 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

The shaded seats below the overhang suck. But there are uncovered seats in sections 6-12 that are still shaded from the upper deck/press box. The shade makes a huge difference with the temperatures we’ve had over the last decade. 

They haven’t been that bad. Wear a hat, put on some sunscreen, drink your bourbon and coke, and don’t be a pussy 😘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Roofle said:

In past years, fair gates were at 7 AM and the stadium opened at 9 AM. What's with the 8 AM fair gates this year? I'm trying to lay down a god damn base layer of corny dogs and wax cup Shiners here.

We go through this every year. Everything you need will be open at 7am.

11 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Like I said, we go through this every year.  You'll be fine.  The beer vendors that want to make money will be open when you roll stroll onto the grounds.

I'll probably still ask next year cause I'm dumb

I must have just missed the rush last year, because if that's where I think it is, I got three corny dogs there last year without waiting in line at all.  It also led to this awesome exchange as I was still feeling the effects of Friday night's festivities:

Me: "Yeah, give me three corny dogs"

Fletchers dude (smiling): "Ayyye man, only one per customer this year"

Me: "Get the fuck out of my face with that shit"

Fletchers dude: "I'm just kidding man"

and then the awkward exchange where I stood there in silence until he handed me my fucking corn dogs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I must have just missed the rush last year, because if that's where I think it is, I got three corny dogs there last year without waiting in line at all.  It also led to this awesome exchange as I was still feeling the effects of Friday night's festivities:

Me: "Yeah, give me three corny dogs"

Fletchers dude (smiling): "Ayyye man, only one per customer this year"

Me: "Get the fuck out of my face with that shit"

Fletchers dude: "I'm just kidding man"

and then the awkward exchange where I stood there in silence until he handed me my fucking corn dogs.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Shaddie said:

FYI. 30 tickets. I passed since I already had some artery closed cloggers. 

Damn. Well I'm going Thursday and plan to check the burnt end burrito (30), The fried taco cone (unknown), Cream corn casserole fritters (14), Flamango Tango (25) and of course my standard Jalapeno Fletchers.  

8 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Damn. Well I'm going Thursday and plan to check the burnt end burrito (30), The fried taco cone (unknown), Cream corn casserole fritters (14), Flamango Tango (25) and of course my standard Jalapeno Fletchers.  

Fried Taco Cone is 18 coops. Good list,  I will also be consuming all of these items, except I can never do the Jalapeno Fletcher's, because the original is too great. 

• Like 1

Just now, TXSooner518 said:

Fried Taco Cone is 18 coops. Good list,  I will also be consuming all of these items, except I can never do the Jalapeno Fletcher's, because the original is too great. 

Thanks..better than I expected. And to end the night the Dole Pineapple Whip.  In the past it wouldn't be out of the question to have both versions of the fletchers. But that's enough damn heart attack causing food. And then across the street to craft and growler. 

Why do I feel another glorious "Diary of a Texas Fan" will be born this year @ the Fair

6:00 Arise, play the Eyes of Texas and Texas Fight at full-freaking blast

6:20 Get in car, drive to New Braunfels

7:30 Tee off (me and a buddy were the FIRST tee-time of the morning)

8:50 Turn 9 (crack open first beer)

8:53 Crack open second beer

8:58 Crack open...(you get the idea)

10:30 Finish 18 (holes, as well as beers), sign scorecard for smoooooth 95

11:56 I tell my first Nebraska fan to go f!!k himself.

12:15 The UT band walks by on the way to the Alamodome. We're on the second floor of a two-story parking garage on the corner (a couple hundred of us). We're hooting and hollering like wildmen. The band doubles back to the street right below us and serenades us with Texas Fight and The Eyes of Texas. AWESOME MOMENT.

Something, something, something....

2:25 We order two orders of fried pickles, a Cobb salad, a bowl of soup, two orders of Blueberry blintzes, two Reuben sandwiches, a hamburger, two cheese stuffed potatoes, an order of fries, and an order of onion rings.

2:39 The food arrives. We are all asleep with our heads on the table. The waiter wakes us up. We eat every f**king bit of our food. Most of the restaurant patrons around us are disgusted. We don't give a ************. The tab is $112 with tip.

2:46 I'm sleepy.

9:12 I wake up next to a strange woman. She is a waitress at Denny's. She is not pretty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

2:25 We order two orders of fried pickles, a Cobb salad, a bowl of soup, two orders of Blueberry blintzes, two Reuben sandwiches, a hamburger, two cheese stuffed potatoes, an order of fries, and an order of onion rings.

2:39 The food arrives. We are all asleep with our heads on the table. The waiter wakes us up. We eat every f**king bit of our food. Most of the restaurant patrons around us are disgusted. We don't give a ************. The tab is $112 with tip.

Pretty sure this is from In Cold Blood right before they murder the Clutter family. 

19 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

That's only for the lames walking in late!  Go in the fair at 8, no coopin lines, and no $5 "order fee."  Ten bonus coops right there!  That's 1.67 beers!

We take the kids to the fair on Friday, it's way less crowded so no lines for rides and food, and we pick up all of our coupons for Saturday then, as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

We take the kids to the fair on Friday, it's way less crowded so no lines for rides and food, and we pick up all of our coupons for Saturday then, as well.

Perfect! I also buy more than I think I will need, since I know I will be back next year, and they take the previous year's coopins the next year. I'd much rather have some left than end up waiting in a 5PM coopin line. This is the first year in a long time I'm not bringing any at all back. 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Thank you for the idea! Guess i'll be stopping by when i get into town Friday. 

• Like 1