Travis County Nov 19 Elections - Proposition "A".

ROFL BOX

Seems easy enough - no new taxes, simply a reallocation of the existing already collected Hotel & Motel taxes.  The Travis County Exposition center is in sore need of renovation & even an entirely new indoor facility.  The parking lot is a constant hassle & the actual venue is way WAY out of date.

I'm asking that if you do vote, please support Prop A.

1f55a66a0b6c4f40a6361b5d78cc5bd5.png

AR-301209838.jpg

fc6e3abf35b906bffbaae92779c8272f.jpg

expo_center2.jpg

• Like 1

I'd vote for this but for the other commissioners squeezing out Gerald into retirement.  How fucking stupid do you think the Travis County citizenry is, at least the ones whom can read?  Our lawsuit against y'all is already filed.  Bring it on fucksticks.

Common wisdom is that voting for this would kill the TPID deal between the city and downtown hotels, which would create a Mexican American cultural district and additional funds for homelessness solutions. 

Wish they had a better plan b/c I’m not sure what we are voting for. Expo Center definitely needs improvements, but I’ve also heard talk about using the money to build a large music venue on the property, which wouldn’t make any sense.

Common wisdom is that voting for this would kill the TPID deal between the city and downtown hotels, which would create a Mexican American cultural district and additional funds for homelessness solutions. 

Wish they had a better plan b/c I’m not sure what we are voting for. Expo Center definitely needs improvements, but I’ve also heard talk about using the money to build a large music venue on the property, which wouldn’t make any sense.
Multi-purpose is what I have heard.

Sized to fill the gap between an Irwin center size & the smaller venues.

& Also, I think the commitment for the shift is only 4 years.

Why can't we have both?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We can’t have both because the current HOT rate is 17%, which is the maximum allowable by law. The agreement on the TPID is predicated on the tax rate going down by 2% after the current convention center expansion is paid off, bringing it down to 15%. Hotels have agreed to add a 2% tax for the TPID after that, bringing the rate back up to 17%. The 2% can be used for a wide variety of tourism purposes. If the county comes in and takes that 2% first though passage of prop A, the hotels are not going to subject themselves to an additional 2%, which would make the total rate of 19% the highest in the state.

• Like 1

& Also, I think the commitment for the shift is only 4 years.

Why can't we have both?

Isn't that what the new UT stadium will be?

Also, COTA (while it exists) fills the gap with a ~5K music venue. The last thing anyone wants is another shitty venue out in BFE that’s convenient to absolutely nothing.

There’s also the new soccer stadium. No idea on what the configuration will be for concerts but it should be around 12K after you block off the seats behind the stage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Isn’t that what the HEB center in Cedar Park has been doing?  They been pulling a lot of business that’s too small for the Drum and too big for smaller venues over the last few years and they’ve been pretty successful.

Is the issue that it’s in Wilco and Travis county simply wants that revenue or is there enough demand for two similar sized venues?

Edited by TKthunder2

On 10/7/2019 at 7:06 AM, CooterBrown said:

Also, COTA (while it exists) fills the gap with a ~5K music venue. The last thing anyone wants is another shitty venue out in BFE that’s convenient to absolutely nothing.

There’s also the new soccer stadium. No idea on what the configuration will be for concerts but it should be around 12K after you block off the seats behind the stage.

Is CoTA convenient to anything & also located in BFE / SSA?  The TCEC is a decent distance closer to the center of Austin, has a higher population around it & within a reasonable distance AND CoTA is an outdoor facility whereas TCEC is indoor.

Other than the rodeo and ROT rally, what goes on out there?
Equestrian events, the Lonestar Roundup, Austin Pow-Wow, Texas Heat car show (I think that one is an audiophile/ kickass boom-boom stereo thing), various events rent the Exhibition Hall.

It could also do much more if the facility was upgraded.

I don't live too far from the Expo Center and it's definitely not in the middle of nowhere. It's a populated area and growing rapidly with the home building in Agave and the new massive Colony Park subdivision (mini-muller) should start construction in 2022.

My issue is that they don't know what they are not putting forward a plan and they already paid for a study in 2016 that has specific recommendations but they didn't spend any time figuring out what that should be. They just want a blank check to build.... something. It bothers me more that the rodeo is actively campaigning against the convention center and for Prop B when over 90 percent of the hotel revenue comes from within the city.

However, out of my own self interest of the area I will vote for it. I also think it's good for the city to have a good convention space outside of the convention center and even Palmer. Houston has the George Brown convention center and a basketball arena in downtown as well as the NRG convention center and NRG arena at the south loop. That should be the message instead of "Don't you like the rodeo!"

Here is some data projections from the 2016 study:

Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-10-50-18-AM.jp
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-10-50-25-AM.jp
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-10-50-42-AM.jp
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-10-50-52-AM.jp
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-10-51-03-AM.jp
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-10-50-11-AM.jp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

D-League is also not leaving Cedar Park Center.

My vote's going to depend on whether they get vocal on City of Austin prop B. It's a terrible proposition. As of now, the Chamber is neutral on Travis County A partially because of that threat.

The Friends of the Expo Center PAC gave 1k to the Pro Austin Pro B Pac, Unconventional Austin but that's not much compared to other donors. Troxclair's old chief of staff loaned Unconventional Austin 10k for some reason. 

Rodeo Austin › annual_reportsPDF
2018 annual report - Rodeo Austin

https://rodeoaustin.com/static/media/uploads/annual_reports/ra_2018_annual_report_web.pdf

"While delivering superior entertainment and boasting an economic impact that exceeds $77 million annually, Rodeo Austin is an established community tradition founded in 1938. Staying true to the official sport of Texas, Austin is home to one of America's top 10 ProRodeos."

Just behind ACL & SXSW, IIRC.

17 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Rodeo Austin › annual_reportsPDF
2018 annual report - Rodeo Austin

https://rodeoaustin.com/static/media/uploads/annual_reports/ra_2018_annual_report_web.pdf

Just behind ACL & SXSW, IIRC.

We have, and will continue to be, long term financial supporters of the Rodeo. Doesn’t make this ballot prop a good idea.

Isn't that what the new UT stadium will be?
"The arena will have different configurations, seating around 10,000 for basketball and as many as 17,000 spectators for concerts. UT said it is planning for it to open for the 2021-22 men's and women's basketball seasons."

https://www.kut.org/post/ut-regents-approve-arena-proposal-replace-frank-erwin-center

A properly built TCEC would easily fill that slot & for sure is sized appropriately for similar events to the CPC.

Not everyone wants to drive from San Marcos to Blockhouse Creek.

The Expo facility was used recently for one of those "obstacle course / mud run" events. I guess I could look up a list of everything they have in the docket.

So in the same year, we have to sign over hotel taxes away from improving downtown to expanding the Convention Center, we'll see our City of Austin property taxes go up to pay for improvements to Palmer Events Center, the City of Austin will be responsible for upkeep related to non-soccer events at the new MLS Stadium, our tax deal with COTA continues to look worse and worse every year with fewer and fewer events being held out there, all while UT and a P3 break ground on a facility that will actually host most of the shit we're talking about above.  But yeah, let's make sure Travis County has a fancy new toy to play with.  

It's impossible we're this stupid.  

Edited by Lobo

I’m out there every year for ROT, since about ‘07, and it’s absolutely  perfect for it...the ring road makes a perfect drag for all the drunken lunatics to show off their trailered choppers, there’s lots of open space for RVs, enough buildings for checkin/vendors/showers, a stage area for ‘shows’ (that I haven’t gone to in a decade), and it’s completely out of the way for the idiots who get wasted to sleep it off.  

That said that main pavilion is a total wreck, with the ceiling coming apart, but I only ever go there to go cool off for a bit.  

I shutter to think about them holding the rally anywhere else.  I certainly imbibe out there but it’s perfect for Mr Weekend Warrior on his overheated $40,000 Road King to lowside while doing a burnout and dumping Mrs Weekend Warrior in front of a cheering crowd of NASCAR fans.  A big renovation would likely occur over those summer months and they’d have to relocate.  

Rodeo Austin on Wednesday threw its support behind a November ballot initiative that would give Travis County access to money to renovate its East Austin exposition center — a project the county says is badly needed and long overdue.

Travis County's Proposition A, if approved by voters, would put the county next in line to collect a 2% portion of hotel occupancy tax revenue. The county has said it's critical it has access to that revenue if it ever hopes to renovate the expo center, which sits on a 176-acre parcel of city-owned land on Decker Lake Road. The facility hosts the annual rodeo, Republic of Texas motorcycle rally and other events. It's the largest event space of its kind outside the downtown area.
But to get at the hotel occupancy tax revenue, the county has to wait out the city of Austin, which currently is using the money to pay down debt on its previous convention center expansion.

State law allows a maximum of 17% hotel occupancy tax. The state takes 6%, and the city is currently collecting 11%, which is charged for rooms in Travis County and can be used to pay for stadiums, arenas, parks and other venues that support tourism. The city could free up 2% of that money, roughly $20 million a year, by 2029 or earlier, opening it up for Travis County to use. Or not.

Austin Mayor Steve Adler said when the funds will be freed up has to do with several factors, including whether the city can refinance its debt on the convention center and move forward with a second $1.2 billion convention center expansion plan.

"The only promise I can make is that discussion will be very public," Adler said last week.

Expo center visitors for years have complained about issues that have made the building and its grounds unappealing, county officials said, including problems with air conditioning, ripped up gravel in the parking lot and sparse landscaping.

The facility was built by Rodeo Austin in 1983. Travis County, which leases the property from the city, took over operations in 1989. Rodeo Austin has remained the expo center's main tenant, providing $77 million in economic benefits for the city of Austin over two weeks in March 2018. The organization also was responsible for handing out $2.3 million in scholarships. Rodeo Austin said renovating the expo center will allow it to grow the event and give even more money to young people to go to college, as well as drive job growth on the city's east side.

The ballot measure, if approved, would not create any new taxes for Travis County residents, Rodeo Austin CEO Rob Golding said.

"We can create a bigger, better expo center, a bigger and better set of facilities to operate in, and all of that will be done at the expense and on the backs of tourists and visitors to Travis County," Golding said. "A 'yes' in November on Travis County Prop A is a long overdue economic shot in the arm for East Austin and eastern Travis County."

The Energize the Expo political action committee formed to campaign for the county's Prop A and so far has collected $57,000, according to the most recent campaign finance reports filed Monday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/on-travis-county-prop-a-rodeo-austin-says-giddyup/ar-AAIxDth

• Like 1

I have heard the figure of $ 250 million used to describe how much the Austin Convention Center has on hand in available ca$h (but doesn't want to touch).

I do not know what a reasonable amount is for keeping in reserves as a rainy day fund, however I also don't know what additional work the ACC wants to do (or what conventioneering needs they are not currently serving).

9 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have heard the figure of $ 250 million used to describe how much the Austin Convention Center has on hand in available ca$h (but doesn't want to touch).

I do not know what a reasonable amount is for keeping in reserves as a rainy day fund, however I also don't know what additional work the ACC wants to do (or what conventioneering needs they are not currently serving).

There is a massive study done by UT explaining and justifying the cost of expanding the convention center. It's something Travis County could learn from instead of saying we need to give a blank check to the Rodeo because rodeo good.

https://issuu.com/utsoa/docs/frameworks_for_placemaking_utsoacsd?e=2095123/68762342

Edited by Pasken

On 10/7/2019 at 7:06 AM, CooterBrown said:

COTA fucking sucks as a music venue. i'll never be back there again for a show. 

• Like 2

What if we utilized that big track by the airport and find use for it more than once a year.  Maybe even a Rodeo there.
1. Rodeo Austin would not be in charge of their own destiny & not able to prevent large swings in scheduling or changes in the charged rate.
2. The footprint for Rodeo Austin exceeds what CoTA has.
3. CoTA does not have any indoor capabilities for the product that Rodeo Austin provides (this has been discussed prior).
4. CoTA is def. an attractive location for the average Del Valle resident & this economic social subset is the most predominant clientele that is attracted to the carnivaL.

However.

CoTA is a location that would probably cut out those from the other areas in Southern WilCo, DerkaVille, etc. as CoTA is considered to be too far into BFE / SSA.

5. Rodeo Austin has permanent offices onsite @ TCEC as well as a probably 100'× 250' permanent barn / storage / office facility on the TCEC grounds. CoTA operations would make this wildly impossible to facilitate.

6. For BBQ Austin, we have a lot of stuff in storage next to the barn ([2] 52 foot trailers, packed tight) & those beat up rigs wont travel.

Obv. I am not expecting anyone to make a wholesale shift in their thinking, however there are possibly some of y'all who weren't aware that this is a ballot initiative for Travis County electors.

Expo center visitors for years have complained about issues that have made the building and its grounds unappealing, county officials said, including problems with air conditioning, ripped up gravel in the parking lot and sparse landscaping.

What would it cost to legitimately fix these issues? 20 million? Nah, let's spend billions on a new facility because the current one needs new gravel and some plants.

It's like buying a brand new loaded Tahoe because your otherwise perfectly adequate 6 year old Accord ran out of washer fluid.

What would it cost to legitimately fix these issues? 20 million? Nah, let's spend billions[/u] on a new facility because the current one needs new gravel and some plants.

It's like buying a brand new loaded Tahoe because your otherwise perfectly adequate 6 year old Accord ran out of washer fluid.

Hyperbole much?

The facility is over 30 years old & nobody has even remotely suggested $1BN.

Whether any of y'all have ever been out there or not (& seen the condition of the TCEC), it is my opinion that this facility does serve a specific niche that cannot be solved with any other available facility.