Getting to/from the Cotton Bowl - What is best way?

Tailgate

Was going to post this in help...but figured I’d get a better response here. Taking my dad and want the easiest way in and especially out. Last year we walked for almost a mile to just grab an Uber away from the stadium.

I can grab parking passes for lot at entrance 10 but don’t really want to fight the traffic out. But might be worth it compared to waiting for uber?

I’ve also seen a lot of you discuss the pros of DART. I’ve never taken it and not sure where all the pickups are. We are at the melrose hotel.

We could also just stay at the fair until 6 when exiting crowds die down and head to dinner straight from there.

Thanks for any thoughts from your commuting experiences to the Shootout.

22 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

What time are you wanting to arrive?

8am at the latest.

Seriously eye balling those passes at lot by entrance 10...just not really sure I want to drive not knowing how many wax cups go down.

Edited by Tailgate

Yeah, our group parks outside of 10 a lot. Very easy in, coopin booth right there, corny dogs right there. Getting out is less good, traffic-wise, but very easy walk from the stadium to car if you are leaving right after. I have had good luck getting in and out in the long narrow lot just off Haskell when you come from Parry (3C). Coming in from 75, it's very easy to get to especially that early. 

Obv wax cup consumption will weigh in. I personally would only DART or Uber if I was leaving late to let the lines die down. GL and enjoy the day with your pops.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There is a DART station within walking distance of where you are staying.  I have no idea if DART shits the bed on game day though.  It's a breeze on normal fair day activity.

Last time I went, DART was great getting there, but a clusterfuck trying to get out.  We waited in line for at least 30 minutes, and this was 2 hours after the game ended.

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There is a DART station within walking distance of where you are staying.  I have no idea if DART shits the bed on game day though.  It's a breeze on normal fair day activity.

The Fair setup not as good as the Victory setup, but it's also not hell.

Green Line from Market Station or Victory (both are ~1 mile away).  Victory has more afternoon stops, but that's also where TRE transfers so it's more crowded.

I've done the DART routine several times and never had a problem - even in years where others had terrible times.  Leave a bit early and there's zero crowd.

Also, there's a station at Fair Park now.  It used to be they ran buses from other stations and that was a complete cluster.  I don't remember how long ago that was, but that burned a lot of people on DART.

26 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There is a DART BUS station across the street from him. According to the bus route. catch the 409 at 7:09 ON OAK Lawn where it meets Cedar Springs. that gets you there at 7:40am. 

But it's gonna dump you on the by the MLK station on the SW side of Fair Park... 

If you want to walk a mile over to Market Center station. you can catch the Green line at 7:32 and get off at fair park station at 8:01.   UNKNOWN AS if you catch a green line south.. it's NOT going to FAIR Park station on saturday. 

https://www.dart.org/rideralerts/fullra.asp?id=4627

* Green Line trains operating south from Carrollton to Buckner will bypass Victory Station and continue to EBJ Union Station, then proceed non-stop to MLK, Jr. Station

* Green Line stations missed by this detour - West End, Akard, St. Paul, Pearl/Arts District, Deep Ellum, Baylor and Fair Park - will be served by special "Fair Park" trains operating east from EBJ Union Station.

*TRE passengers will transfer at Victory Station to shuttle buses to complete their trip to the fairgrounds.

I strongly suggest you download and install the GoPass app as it will typically show the realtime delay of trains ..but i've never tried it on this area on this weekend. 

*EDIT* updated 

Edited by msudawg

Just now, thestud said:

Where are you coming from? We are out west and drive in to the TRE station in FW. Buy the day pass for $8 or whatever it is. The TRE dumps out at AA center where they have DART buses waiting, takes about 10 minutes to get from AA to Cotton Bowl and they drop you off at the front gate. Back on the buses to the AA center after the game and then back to FW on TRE. No parking costs, no fighting traffic, and no worrying about my vehicle being burglarized like 4 years ago.

We are at the merose which is in the Turtle Creek area. Im now leaning toward Uber I juat hope its not a level-five cluster after the game.

22 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Last time I went, DART was great getting there, but a clusterfuck trying to get out.  

EVERYTHING is a clusterfuck getting out.   

You can park yourself in the Fair for 2-4 hours after the game and it's still a bitch to get out.  DART gets a little better by that time.  But an Uber or cab?  Not. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

We are at the merose which is in the Turtle Creek area. Im now leaning toward Uber I juat hope its not a level-five cluster after the game.

It most likely will be a goat fuck after the game. But the nice thing is if you know what you're doing you can hop on the DART back to Melrose after the game. Uber down, DART out.

Also, does the Melrose have a hotel shuttle that might be willing to take you down there? We've always met our out-of-town group at the Ritz for pre-game drinks on game day and hop in their Suburbans to get a lift down to the game. They're no help getting out though.

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Also, does the Melrose have a hotel shuttle that might be willing to take you down there? We've always met our out-of-town group at the Ritz for pre-game drinks on game day and hop in their Suburbans to get a lift down to the game. They're no help getting out though.

They like to stay in a radius around the hotel...they are awesome for dinners etc...but for this game likely not. And, the only have one vehicle running at a time...but good thought...and getting out is my biggest objective right now.

1 minute ago, Tailgate said:

They like to stay in a radius around the hotel...they are awesome for dinners etc...but for this game likely not. And, the only have one vehicle running at a time...but good thought...and getting out is my biggest objective right now.

Makes sense. In that case, best best is Uber down there from hotel. Get dropped off on north side of the Fairgrounds. Wait a bit after the game and jump on DART train out of there once things calm down a little bit. Don't wait too long or you'll get caught up in everybody leaving to get cleaned up for dinner. Game should end around 2:30-3. I'd say 4:15 ish would be a good time to start making your way to the trains on the North side. Might even see if you can get lucky in Uber but just connecting with a driver can be a nightmare.

36 minutes ago, msudawg said:

There is a DART BUS station across the street from him. According to the bus route. catch the 409 at 7:09 ON OAK Lawn where it meets Cedar Springs. that gets you there at 7:40am. 

But it's gonna dump you on the by the MLK station on the SW side of Fair Park... 

If you want to walk a mile over to Market Center station. you can catch the Green line at 7:32 and get off at fair park station at 8:01.   UNKNOWN AS if you catch a green line south.. it's NOT going to FAIR Park station on saturday. 

https://www.dart.org/rideralerts/fullra.asp?id=4627

* Green Line trains operating south from Carrollton to Buckner will bypass Victory Station and continue to EBJ Union Station, then proceed non-stop to MLK, Jr. Station

* Green Line stations missed by this detour - West End, Akard, St. Paul, Pearl/Arts District, Deep Ellum, Baylor and Fair Park - will be served by special "Fair Park" trains operating east from EBJ Union Station.

*TRE passengers will transfer at Victory Station to shuttle buses to complete their trip to the fairgrounds.

I strongly suggest you download and install the GoPass app as it will typically show the realtime delay of trains ..but i've never tried it on this area on this weekend. 

*EDIT* updated 

New light...

Victory will be closed for DART rail it seems.  Sucks, but i guess they are avoiding the TRE chokepoint.

I'd get on at Market and go direct to MLK station.  And return the same way for post game.  (Gate 6 is the Ferris Wheel side of the stadium it's not out of the way).

On the map Market Center is the next stop north of Victory. According to this DART advisory it will run non-stop to MLK.

spacer.png

Edited by JBJ

5 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Turtle Creek....looks like way in is fine...and reviewing DART for the exit strategy.

Just enjoy the fair. Trains will be running until midnight. If the world ends and you need to drown your tears, check out Craft and Growler if you tire of wax cups. 

• Like 1

^^ This. It really isn't hard at all. Dart is fine, go early. Parking is alright as long as are physically able to walk. Either park and tailgate or park and go inside and eat and drink before the game. After the game hang around a bit and have a few more beers. 

I'm not sure if you're completely against driving, but I've always had good luck getting in and out down MLK or some of the nearby streets.  Most people are coming from downtown or other parts north, so coming up/going out from the south is usually smooth sailing.  I usually end up parking in someone's lawn over by Madison HS but that might be too much of a trek for your old man.

If you're driving....

It's been a few years, but when we lived in both the Turtle Creek and Munger Place areas, this is the route we always took to beat the traffic jams in and out of Fair Park.

Lock your car doors.  From downtown Dallas, take S Lamar St or S Malcom X Blvd to Al Lipscomb Way.  Turn left to head northwest toward Fair Park on Al Lipscomb Way.  By the time you hit the railroad tracks at Trunk Ave, you will have received multiple offers to pay-to-park.  There was usually a church that operated a lot inside a chain-link fence on the left side of Al Lipscomb Way near the tracks.  If it's there, always trust the church people, as we learned.  If you get to the gas stations just outside the fairgrounds, you've gone too far.  Turn back or you'll get stuck in traffic.

When we left, we always took Malcom X Blvd back towards Deep Ellum.

If you are coming from Austin, take the E Clarendon Dr exit and go past the Dallas Zoo.  Turn north on N Corinth St and take it to S Lamar St.  Turn right on S Lamar St to get to Al Lipscomb Way.  You can also take the Cadiz St exit closer to downtown and follow it to S Lamar St.

One time we were coming from Ft Worth, and somehow got on the I-30 frontage road and followed it to S Riverfront Blvd which took us to Cadiz St or Corinth St, I can't remember which.

Like I said, it's been a few years (more like 8 lulz) since I've been to a Texas-OU game, but this worked very well for almost 25 years.  I doubt it has changed much in that area.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If you're driving....

It's been a few years, but when we lived in both the Turtle Creek and Munger Place areas, this is the route we always took to beat the traffic jams in and out of Fair Park.

Lock your car doors.  From downtown Dallas, take S Lamar St or S Malcom X Blvd to Al Lipscomb Way.  Turn left to head northwest toward Fair Park on Al Lipscomb Way.  By the time you hit the railroad tracks at Trunk Ave, you will have received multiple offers to pay-to-park.  There was usually a church that operated a lot inside a chain-link fence on the left side of Al Lipscomb Way near the tracks.  If it's there, always trust the church people, as we learned.  If you get to the gas stations just outside the fairgrounds, you've gone too far.  Turn back or you'll get stuck in traffic.

When we left, we always took Malcom X Blvd back towards Deep Ellum.

If you are coming from Austin, take the E Clarendon Dr exit and go past the Dallas Zoo.  Turn north on N Corinth St and take it to S Lamar St.  Turn right on S Lamar St to get to Al Lipscomb Way.  You can also take the Cadiz St exit closer to downtown and follow it to S Lamar St.

One time we were coming from Ft Worth, and somehow got on the I-30 frontage road and followed it to S Riverfront Blvd which took us to Cadiz St or Corinth St, I can't remember which.

Like I said, it's been a few years (more like 8 lulz) since I've been to a Texas-OU game, but this worked very well for almost 25 years.  I doubt it has changed much in that area.

Thanks, I haven't been to many TX-OU games and this helps a lot. My hotel is in the uptown area so I assume should follow the Al Lipscomb Way directions you've provided?

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Thanks, I haven't been to many TX-OU games and this helps a lot. My hotel is in the uptown area so I assume should follow the Al Lipscomb Way directions you've provided?

If you’re in uptown, I’d head south on McKinney until you get to St Paul. Turn left on St Paul and follow it through downtown. It becomes S Ervay. Turn left at al limpscomb about 1 mile past 30. 

• Like 1

This route has worked well for me the past 20 years:

Friday, start drinking as early as possible, remind your girlfriend/wife/mistress that she is along for the ride and Saturday is going to be epic. 
Friday 4pm, start nailing pitchers at the largest rate for the lowest price with many Texas fans. 
Friday 7pm, ask your boys where they are and call them pussies.

Friday 10pm. Remind your girl that she’s just along for the ride, Saturday is going to be epic and you have no idea how you both ended up in the West End ready to blackout or get into a fist fight with a land thief or do both. 
Friday 10:05 pm. “That’s fine, I’ll catch up with you at the hotel and be ready to go to the game.” To your girl

Friday 11pm. You’ve done it. You’ve met up with dirty Mike and the boys for an absolute throw down that you won’t remember. 
Saturday 6am. You just had an epic night with Dirty Mike and the boys. You have a hangover that is worse than the New Years 2000 but it is immediately eliminated by adrenaline and your girl bitching about how she’s already hearing stories about last night and you pissing on some guy’s shoes that had a mullet, crimson shirt, but absolutely no degree in higher education.

Satruday 6:15am. Find food because you’re a dumbass and you didn’t eat Dinner last night.

6:45, go to state Fair, jump out of cab/uber 1/4-1/2 mile early  because traffic sucks.
7:10am watch your cab that just go out of drive past you. 

8am. Remind your girl that today is going to be epic.

8:30am knock down 2 Corn Dog Ales at the beer garden next to the stadium.

9am mike and the dirty boys are back. Grab fried food so your girl doesn't hear all of last nights stories.

11am Kick the ever loving shit out of OU.

The end.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Riverfront deadends into Corinth, which you can turn left on and then follow it to Lamar, then right, etc.

EDIT: Basically deadends, it continues on as a scraggly two lane for a bit. Turn left at Longhorn Ballroom.

Edited by TXSooner518

26 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

Where is the valet lot, and do I need to purchase in advance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I would love for to valet too. Is there no cash parking at the fairgrounds itself? Is it just prepaid like it is for a game on campus?

3 hours ago, bigcigar said:

If you’re in uptown, I’d head south on McKinney until you get to St Paul. Turn left on St Paul and follow it through downtown. It becomes S Ervay. Turn left at al limpscomb about 1 mile past 30. 

Yeah, any route that takes you to Al Lipscomb Way will work. I’ve just stuck to the ones that have worked for me. 

2 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

This route has worked well for me the past 20 years:

Friday, start drinking as early as possible, remind your girlfriend/wife/mistress that she is along for the ride and Saturday is going to be epic. 
Friday 4pm, start nailing pitchers at the largest rate for the lowest price with many Texas fans. 
Friday 7pm, ask your boys where they are and call them pussies.

Friday 10pm. Remind your girl that she’s just along for the ride, Saturday is going to be epic and you have no idea how you both ended up in the West End ready to blackout or get into a fist fight with a land thief or do both. 
Friday 10:05 pm. “That’s fine, I’ll catch up with you at the hotel and be ready to go to the game.” To your girl

Friday 11pm. You’ve done it. You’ve met up with dirty Mike and the boys for an absolute throw down that you won’t remember. 
Saturday 6am. You just had an epic night with Dirty Mike and the boys. You have a hangover that is worse than the New Years 2000 but it is immediately eliminated by adrenaline and your girl bitching about how she’s already hearing stories about last night and you pissing on some guy’s shoes that had a mullet, crimson shirt, but absolutely no degree in higher education.

Satruday 6:15am. Find food because you’re a dumbass and you didn’t eat Dinner last night.

6:45, go to state Fair, jump out of cab/uber 1/4-1/2 mile early  because traffic sucks.
7:10am watch your cab that just go out of drive past you. 

8am. Remind your girl that today is going to be epic.

8:30am knock down 2 Corn Dog Ales at the beer garden next to the stadium.

9am mike and the dirty boys are back. Grab fried food so your girl doesn't hear all of last nights stories.

11am Kick the ever loving shit out of OU.

The end.

This used to be my go to. Just hop out and walk with a case in your arms and you will have a good time before the game. 

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yes, I would love for to valet too. Is there no cash parking at the fairgrounds itself? Is it just prepaid like it is for a game on campus?

There is cash parking on site. We use it every year, and no problems at all if you arrive early. Dunno why people park in yards for the same cost other than arriving after lots are full?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Either my route or others mentioned after your post. I’m not certain that the church is still operating the fenced parking option, but there are sure to be options.

I’d stick to something real close to Al Lipscomb Way. One time about 30 years ago, we parked on the railroad ROW, and some guy said he would “look after” our car for $10 or $20 bucks. We got the hint and paid him. That was before we found the church lot.

One other time, a guy said he had a lot and jumped on my hood and pointed straight ahead as soon as I asked him to show me. I said no thanks, but my hood was still scratched. 

57 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

Where is the valet lot, and do I need to purchase in advance?

Can’t find anything on the site now. Maybe they got rid of it...so ignore me. Googling state fair Texas valet indicates it used to exist, but no recent references.

Can’t find anything on the site now. Maybe they got rid of it...so ignore me. Googling state fair Texas valet indicates it used to exist, but no recent references.

Glad it wasn’t just my inferior googling skills. As others have said, Lot 10 by 7:30 or so is a good bet.

Staying at the Cambria downtown.  Have a flight back to Austin out of Love at 8:20.  I see no reason not to leave our bags with the bell desk, grab DART from St. Paul Station to the game, hang around for a few hours afterwards and grab DART (or walk a little and get an Uber if DART is still a cluster) back to hotel by 5 or so to grab bags and head to Love.  Any dissenting thoughts?