Getting to/from the Cotton Bowl - What is best way?

Tailgate

6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

The answer to 99.99% of questions that start “is it safe to walk from the fair to...” is hellllll no

Onn a random night in that area, you are right. But that day with that many people out there and walking all over the area in groups, nothing is going to happen.

Onn a random night in that area, you are right. But that day with that many people out there and walking all over the area in groups, nothing is going to happen.

I’m disagreeing. In the immediate area around the Fair that’s right. Parking in the vicinity and walking, sure. Walking through downtown and Deep Ellum and Fair Park in areas no one is parking and walking naaaahhhhhh.

On 10/8/2019 at 3:38 PM, msudawg said:

* Green Line trains operating south from Carrollton to Buckner will bypass Victory Station and continue to EBJ Union Station, then proceed non-stop to MLK, Jr. Station

* Green Line stations missed by this detour - West End, Akard, St. Paul, Pearl/Arts District, Deep Ellum, Baylor and Fair Park - will be served by special "Fair Park" trains operating east from EBJ Union Station.

I'm trying to make sense of the statement above, which was quoted from the DART website and I just read again, with the map below.

There is no mention of the special red lines on the website, yet they clearly show up on the map below. 

I'm going to be hoping on the red line at Walnut Hill/75, and from the text is seems like I needed to take it to EBJ Union Station and transfer to Green line direct to MLK.  But the map looks like I can take red the whole way, and at some point get on the special dotted red line that goes direct to MLK.  But it's not entirely obvious to me where the dotted red line originates.

Going back look straightforward--Red Line at MLK north to Walnut Hill.

On 10/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, JBJ said:

spacer.png

They do mention the special red ones. Don’t get on a southbound red marked Westmorelqnd. The special ones bypass a lot of stops and go right to MLK station. They have a specific Oct 12 schedule. Pull up the Oct 12 red line southbound schedule. The first special one leaves Parker Rd at 701. See how that one is the first one to skip stops and the first one to stop at MLK? All the ones on that schedule are the special ones.

If Uber after the game sucks just walk to Deep Ellum. Anyone who isn't a pussy or a fat ass or an elderly can easily do that walk. Then you can pop in somewhere for a couple of beers and get an Uber after that in 2 minutes. 

Did this two years ago after the 230 kick ended right about the time some ding dong country act was playing the fair. Traffic was unprecedented because you had inbound and outbound jammed up. 

If anyone tells you that walk is dangerous they don't understand geography or are a gigantic vag. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Either my route or others mentioned after your post. I’m not certain that the church is still operating the fenced parking option, but there are sure to be options.

I’d stick to something real close to Al Lipscomb Way. One time about 30 years ago, we parked on the railroad ROW, and some guy said he would “look after” our car for $10 or $20 bucks. We got the hint and paid him. That was before we found the church lot.

One other time, a guy said he had a lot and jumped on my hood and pointed straight ahead as soon as I asked him to show me. I said no thanks, but my hood was still scratched. 

One of my favorite OU - Texas weekend stories: way back in the day, my dad was parking in the neighborhood for the game. Gets waved into this network of lawns, etc., pays the guy up front and they keep waving him into the next yard, the next yard, past other cars, until finally the last guy just waves him back out into the street, thanks for your cash.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

One of my favorite OU - Texas weekend stories: way back in the day, my dad was parking in the neighborhood for the game. Gets waved into this network of lawns, etc., pays the guy up front and they keep waving him into the next yard, the next yard, past other cars, until finally the last guy just waves him back out into the street, thanks for your cash.

That church-operated lot has cars packed in bumper-to-bumper so tightly that I always expected to be trapped getting out. But, we always stayed for an hour or three after the game, and by the time we left, it was no problem. 

36 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

That church-operated lot has cars packed in bumper-to-bumper so tightly that I always expected to be trapped getting out. But, we always stayed for an hour or three after the game, and by the time we left, it was no problem. 

Unless it rains. Then you're fucked.

15 hours ago, BERT said:

Hell is it safe to walk from the fair to the Cambria hotel? Only says a 30min walk. 

I’m sure I’ll just DART in and DART out. Kind of like my sex life 

If walking to and from the game you will be fine. Most of the people that say hell no have never done it themselves. 

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Man the church parking lot is always some good tailgating though. 

If Uber after the game sucks just walk to Deep Ellum. Anyone who isn't a pussy or a fat ass or an elderly can easily do that walk. Then you can pop in somewhere for a couple of beers and get an Uber after that in 2 minutes. 
Did this two years ago after the 230 kick ended right about the time some ding dong country act was playing the fair. Traffic was unprecedented because you had inbound and outbound jammed up. 
If anyone tells you that walk is dangerous they don't understand geography or are a gigantic vag. 
But I might see a black person and that is scary!

43 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

I see that now. TRE closure kills it all. I’m getting closer and closer to just parking my own vehicle on site and dealing with it. I got all day, F it. 

TRE shouldn't hurt you coming from Rowlett. You can take the Blue line from Rowlett, and then get off that and on the Green circulator at EBJ, West End, Akard, St. Paul, or Pearl/Arts. Then off the Green circulator at Fair Park Station.

Blue train from Rowlett 10/12 schedule: https://www.dart.org/statefair/s601so12oct11am.htm

Green circulator 10/12 schedule: https://www.dart.org/statefair/s602loop12oct11am.htm

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

TRE shouldn't hurt you coming from Rowlett. You can take the Blue line from Rowlett, and then get off that and on the Green circulator at EBJ, West End, Akard, St. Paul, or Pearl/Arts. Then off the Green circulator at Fair Park Station.

Blue train from Rowlett 10/12 schedule: https://www.dart.org/statefair/s601so12oct11am.htm

Green circulator 10/12 schedule: https://www.dart.org/statefair/s602loop12oct11am.htm

Yes.  Your original plan is correct:

10 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

Never mind. I see the appropriate cross over at Arts/Pearl for Blue to Green. 

It's just not the usual Green Line, it's the Game Day Green Circulator.

• Like 1

Quick Summary:

Blue south and regular Red south transfer to the Game Day Circulator at Pearl/Arts.

Specially marked Red South cars will skip downtown to MLK/Gate 6 (I'd do this if riding Red.)

Green North and South will skip downtown to MLK/Gate 6.

Red and Blue North transfer to the Game Day Circulator at Akard.

TRE gets bused in from Victory.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 3:02 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Yeah, our group parks outside of 10 a lot. Very easy in, coopin booth right there, corny dogs right there. Getting out is less good, traffic-wise, but very easy walk from the stadium to car if you are leaving right after. I have had good luck getting in and out in the long narrow lot just off Haskell when you come from Parry (3C). Coming in from 75, it's very easy to get to especially that early. 

Obv wax cup consumption will weigh in. I personally would only DART or Uber if I was leaving late to let the lines die down. GL and enjoy the day with your pops.

Remind me, if you buy coupons with a CC, do you have to pay an extra fee?

2 hours ago, wood said:

So if I get season tickets next year, what are my chances of getting to buy OU tickets?

Or maybe just try the $$ handshake with the ticket-taker. How much is that going for these days?

100 dollars has got me in every game for the past 5 years

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

100 dollars has got me in every game for the past 5 years

That's allsome. Ever get any "GTFO" looks?

34 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you want 4 together you will have to have 4 season tickets.  You can order twice as many as you have season tickets, but they will fill it in two batches. 

21 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

I have two season tickets and got 4 RRS together. 

4 together would be nice, but not mandatory. 

I guess y'all see where I'm headed with this, as a disenfranchised long-time Tx-ou game attendee (read: surly poor who's been to something like 30 of the last 35, but can't stomach the huge recent price spike in the after market).

31 minutes ago, wood said:

That's allsome. Ever get any "GTFO" looks?

4 together would be nice, but not mandatory. 

I guess y'all see where I'm headed with this, as a disenfranchised long-time Tx-ou game attendee (read: surly poor who's been to something like 30 of the last 35, but can't stomach the huge recent price spike in the after market).

Oh for sure but just move on. Like with women, shoot your shot 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 7:17 PM, clapclapclap said:

Meh, I'd walk it in daytime.

This is the correct answer it is an early game so even with some post game Fletcher's and wax cup beers and even some victory cocktails at the Old Mill Inn you still have daylight out and are good. I have literally walked it a good solid 10 times and the only time I almost got into a fight or had any issue at all was some guy thought I was mocking him when I was shaking my head in disgust over the 65-13 ass raping we took in 2003. As soon as I told him the score he laughed and went about his merry way.

Now I would say stay out of the Starlight after the game especially if we lose. Back in 2000 Wulaw Horn got jabbed in the neck with a pool cue by a regular and then we got tossed out for creating a disturbance and not the regular. Now I will say this the morning Starlight crew who start drinking at 7am every day are funny and harmless.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you want 4 together you will have to have 4 season tickets.  You can order twice as many as you have season tickets, but they will fill it in two batches. 

I have 2 in section 13 at DKR and have gotten 4 together for ou every time without fail. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by brojangles2

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well I guess I don't know how they do it then.  Iv'e got 4 season tickets and when I order 8 OU tickets I get them in two batches of 4.

Obviously I'm not sure, but maybe they do 2 batches if you're getting more than 4.

I found this.  I get 4 priority tickets and then I have always received 4 non priority tickets also

AT&T Red River Showdown
Tickets for the annual Texas-OU football game in Dallas are offered to Longhorn Foundation members who are football season ticket holders before the general public. Priority ticket limits are based on total Annual Fund gift; seat location is determined by your Loyalty Points rank.

Priority for the Red River Showdown Tickets
Total Annual Gift Priority Tickets
$75,000+ 12 tickets
$50,000 - $74,999 10 tickets
$25,000 - $49,999 8 tickets
$10,000 - $24,999 6 tickets
$50 - $9,999 4 tickets
Non-Members 2 tickets - if available

All parties may place ticket orders higher than the limits listed; however, fulfillment of these orders is not guaranteed. Any tickets orders granted above priority limits, based on supply, will not be allocated adjacent to seats fulfilled in priority.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

well thats fucking useless. what are you going to be doing while we at at THE TEXAS/OU GAME?!?!

Rectally Rooting Smegma?

Rimming Rutabaga Shit?

Roundly Rubbing Snakes?

I woulda gone with 'Rancid Rootbeer Smoothies' personally, but whatever. It's not the Texas/OU game, whatever the fuck it is.

• 4 months later...

Bumping 'cause I'm thinking about putting down season ticket deposits...

On 10/11/2019 at 4:02 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I found this.  I get 4 priority tickets and then I have always received 4 non priority tickets also

AT&T Red River Showdown
Tickets for the annual Texas-OU football game in Dallas are offered to Longhorn Foundation members who are football season ticket holders before the general public. Priority ticket limits are based on total Annual Fund gift; seat location is determined by your Loyalty Points rank.

Priority for the Red River Showdown Tickets
Total Annual Gift Priority Tickets
$75,000+ 12 tickets
$50,000 - $74,999 10 tickets
$25,000 - $49,999 8 tickets
$10,000 - $24,999 6 tickets
$50 - $9,999 4 tickets
Non-Members 2 tickets - if available

All parties may place ticket orders higher than the limits listed; however, fulfillment of these orders is not guaranteed. Any tickets orders granted above priority limits, based on supply, will not be allocated adjacent to seats fulfilled in priority.

So, to get Texas - ou tickets,  do I need to re-join LHF & donate in addition to buying season tickets ... or do I just need to buy season tickets?

Sorry for all the noobish questions. I just haven't done this shit in about 30 years.