Latest Brisket Sandwich Abomination

AustinMT

The "Nashville Hot Brisket Sandwich" from Firehouse Subs, described as:

"This sub features slow-smoked USDA Choice beef brisket freshly sliced with a kick of spicy Nashville Hot seasoning, spicy pickle chips, mayo, sweet and tangy slaw and melted pepper jack cheese served on a toasted cornbread roll."

What could possibly be wrong with that?

Here's a link to the commercial:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/o8OC/firehouse-subs-nashville-hot-brisket-equipment-for-first-responders

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1

Toasted cornbread roll?

what in the actual fuck?

I mean, I'm down with crum'lin that sumbeech in a bowl, dropping the brisket, sauce, and some raw onion and japs  and going to town

Cornbread ain't s'posed to hold a sammich...

48 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Where and how are they cooking all these briskets? Certainly isn't at the store. And they all have to be presliced.

there's big commercial smokehouses out there.   they buy smoke brisket just like they buy smoked ham and smoked turkey.

Edited by elfenix

56 minutes ago, futureman said:

you’re telling me they don’t have an offset smoker out back behind every firehouse subs?

I'm working at different actual firehouses right now and they all have offset smokers out back. Made me want to be a fireman all over again. 

Toasted cornbread roll?
what in the actual fuck?
I mean, I'm down with crum'lin that sumbeech in a bowl, dropping the brisket, sauce, and some raw onion and japs  and going to town

I wouldn’t do a brisket sammich on it, but Cafe Pasquale’s in Santa Fe does a really good sandwich on toasted green chile cornbread. Grilled chicken, manchego cheese...it’s good.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Toasted cornbread roll?

what in the actual fuck?

From the ever-lovin' kitchen of SS.

DSCN1678.JPG

• Like 2

I mean, clearly all these schmoes are capitalizing on BBQ mania, and to the extent anyone's expecting decent smoked brisket, well yeah, that's an abomination.  But we all know better than to expect that.

Firehouse seems especially confused, with brisket, cornbread and hot chicken sauce, but, whatever.

There are edible and tasty forms of brisket that aren't centex-style smoked.  Personally, I think they should come with horseradish rather than other sauces/condiments.  Hell . . . . Jews have been doing brisket longer than Texans have.

Edited by TwiceHorn

17 hours ago, 6th Street said:

I recently saw a brisket sandwich at a local Chicago restaurant that was served on a brioche bun with aioli sauce and cole slaw. 

Wat?  No arugula/microgreens slaw topped with wasabi remoulade and artisan crema?  Do not want. 

On 10/8/2019 at 4:30 PM, Dr Fear said:

Where and how are they cooking all these briskets? Certainly isn't at the store. And they all have to be presliced.

I invested in the metal turkey pan and liquid smoke markets long ago and suddenly my portfolio swelled.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

this is a somewhat interesting article, if anyone has enough interest. 

How Passover Brisket Became Texas Barbecue

https://www.foodandwine.com/meat-poultry/beef/brief-history-brisket

Reminds me of the time a few years back when we were doing a big BBQ up at our church in NW Austin after a community day of service -- I need 6 briskets.  Hit the HEB Far West....they're out.  Randall's on Mesa.  Out.  HEB at Braker....out.   I finally ask the butcher why in the hell nobody has any briskets -- he just smiles and says "Rosh Hashanah."

Fuck.  So I need 6 briskets.  But I need to look for them someplace that my jewish friends don't shop.....

Got it.....

0?e=2159024400&v=beta&t=ALMqbayvLCXUQgKf

Success.

I do love a good jewish roasted brisket, though.  It's a totally different thing, but good stuff.

• Like 1

One of the oddities of UT.  Despite all the Illinois and New York and California plates surrounding the Sammy and ZBT houses, there were a number of Jews that were more Texan (been here longer by a pretty far shot than most) than any gentile you cared to name.

And some of em were pretty "country" too.

I remember one bunch of guys had a buck mounted above their fireplace, complete with prayer shawl.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of the oddities of UT.  Despite all the Illinois and New York and California plates surrounding the Sammy and ZBT houses, there were a number of Jews that were more Texan (been here longer by a pretty far shot than most) than any gentile you cared to name.

And some of em were pretty "country" too.

Yep -- growing up in SW Houston, knew plenty of super-Texan jewish families.  And it's not an affectation -- a lot of their families have been in Texas longer than some parts of mine.  A metric shit ton came through Galveston in the early 1900s.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep -- growing up in SW Houston, knew plenty of super-Texan jewish families.  And it's not an affectation -- a lot of their families have been in Texas longer than some parts of mine.  A metric shit ton came through Galveston in the early 1900s.

I have been told by a guy that went around lecturing on "everything you wanted to know about Jews but were afraid to ask" that many Jewish immigrants headed for New York, and later New Orleans, were diverted to Galveston by Jews already in NY and NO to increase their opportunities and to "de-concentrate" Jews in NY and NO so they suffered less of the fate of Irish and Italian immigrants.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have been told by a guy that went around lecturing on "everything you wanted to know about Jews but were afraid to ask" that many Jewish immigrants headed for New York, and later New Orleans, were diverted to Galveston by Jews already in NY and NO to increase their opportunities and to "de-concentrate" Jews in NY and NO so they suffered less of the fate of Irish and Italian immigrants.

That was exactly the plan.  It really is a fascinating bit of anthropology.

But, back on topic...I imagine that every one of their descendants would also think that this trend of shitty brisket sandwiches is meshuggeh.