Jimmy Carter

cactusflinthead

15 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I remember the gas lines.  Right or wrong, he got a shit ton of hate for that.  Some people have trouble letting things go.

Carter slit his own throat by caving to Wall Street and appointing Volcker, and many people suffered because of that decision.  As one of Reagan's advisers put it, he and the Reserve "spill[ed] blood, lots of blood, other people’s blood."  This is a really crucial piece of history in understanding how we got to where we are now.  

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 7/7/2020 at 1:21 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Donald Trump told more lies to the American people in his first week in office than Jimmy Carter did during his entire 4-year term. 

Hell he told more lies that week than Carter did in his entire life.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.theonion.com/you-people-made-me-give-up-my-peanut-farm-before-i-got-1819585048

For generations, U.S. presidents have gone to great lengths to avoid potential conflicts of interest. When I was elected, I followed suit by placing my small business in a blind trust to assure our citizens that I would always put the country’s interests ahead of my own. It’s a vital presidential tradition. That’s why I find it a bit curious that our new commander-in-chief has been allowed to ignore it.

For Christ’s sake, you people made me get rid of my peanut farm before you let me be President. 

• 5 months later...
40 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

That picture is from 4 years ago

I'll grant you that the Tweet is misleading, because the automatic assumption is that it's a more recent photo taken after to the pandemic. But does that really diminish the reputation of the man? Today, he is 96; then, he was 92.

Did he, or did he not, shake all those hands? Is he, or is he not, a genuinely good person? Does it somehow bother you that he would acknowledge his fellow humans who traveled together in a silver aluminum tube on that day - whether it be four days ago, four weeks ago, four months ago, or four years ago?

Maybe this delayed reaction isn't such a bad reminder that we're all humans who should strive to coexist in the best way we know how. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

the only truly evangelical president in our nation’s history…my youngest son is named after him.

Not an evangelical. A real Christian who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ in the Bible. There’s a huge difference. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Not an evangelical. A real Christian who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ in the Bible. There’s a huge difference. 

yes an evangelical, though that doesn’t mean evangelicals are exclusive to other real Christians.

true evangelicalism can and does come in many flavors and denominations, including Catholic and Orthodox (though neither of those are “denominations”).

the term evangelical has been hijacked of late. i’m not one to let hijackers and labelists win this one.
  • Hook 'Em 5

Great man. My first vote for president.

He gave an honest speech about malaise in America. I watched it with my Dad. We looked at each other and both thought it was really good.

Naturally, it gets used against him for decades because of his use of that word.

On the Tonight Show, Johnny Carson asked him about Ronald Reagan taking millions of dollars after leaving office to speak in Japan. I don't recall the exact words, but Carter said something to the effect, "It is problematic...but my schedule is pretty open." Funny guy.

• Hook 'Em 3

I generally find my wife's genealogical research something to be tolerated rather than encouraged, but it makes me genuinely happy that she discovered that I am 6th cousins to Jimmy Carter. We call him Cousin Jimmy, and sincerest hope is that we someday again see politicians with as much character get elected again, at any level of government. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Great man. My first vote for president.

He gave an honest speech about malaise in America. I watched it with my Dad. We looked at each other and both thought it was really good.

Naturally, it gets used against him for decades because of his use of that word.

On the Tonight Show, Johnny Carson asked him about Ronald Reagan taking millions of dollars after leaving office to speak in Japan. I don't recall the exact words, but Carter said something to the effect, "It is problematic...but my schedule is pretty open." Funny guy.

Jimmy, Obama, Joe.  Some really fucking good dudes as Dem presidents the last 60 years.  Sure, there were some horndogs in there with Bill and JFK and LBJ would whip his dick out to whip some votes, but that lineup is a hell of a lot better than Nixon (Watergate), Reagan (turning the Republican Party into an evangelical revival tent party + Iran/Contra + the start of the deregulation wars), Bush 2 (Iraq) and Trump (enough said).  Sad that there's only been one fucking decent Republican president since 1960 (Bush 1). 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That's why I asked.  Aside from the Afghanistan discussion above, I don't know of any his policies that were malicious enough to garner "hate".  

He was the early target of the nascent hate engine. They brought up "malaise" and ridiculed Carter for years until the Clintons offered them some fresh meat and an opportunity to fully invest in an alternate reality created purely through lies.

I'd say the hostage crisis in Iran was his central undoing. I voted Anderson in 1980 largely because I was a young man who thought we should be terrorizing Iran from the air and sea. 

Edited by RomaVicta

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

He was the early target of the nascent hate engine. They brought up "malaise" and ridiculed Carter for years until the Clintons offered them some fresh meat and an opportunity to fully invest in an alternate reality created purely through lies.

I'd say the hostage crisis in Iran was his central undoing. I voted Anderson in 1980 largely because I was a young man who thought we should be terrorizing Iran from the air and sea. 

He was done before that.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

He was done before that.

Maybe so. I didn't follow political races closely at the time. I do think that my vote for an independent rather than Carter says something, and that vote was purely over the hostage situation.  Your post did move me to google his approval rating graph:

spacer.png

The American Embassy was taken Nov. 4, 1979. It looks like he got a boost from that that tapered off back to what his rating was prior to the takeover.  This supports your position, I'd say.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Maybe so. I didn't follow political races closely at the time. I do think that my vote for an independent rather than Carter says something, and that vote was purely over the hostage situation.  Your post did move me to google his approval rating graph:

spacer.png

The American Embassy was taken Nov. 4, 1979. It looks like he got a boost from that that tapered off back to what his rating was prior to the takeover.  This supports your position, I'd say.

The poor economy, and 15% > interest rates were doing him in.  The Crash of the rescue mission helicopters in the desert were the nails in his coffin, but also the awakening (for better and worse) of the American military to the the low point it had reached . 

Mr. Carter and Mr. Ford were the last of the statesmen presidents (Mr. Bush was in that group as well).  

A few years back, I read a pretty enlightening series of articles discussing why Carter failed.  I'll have to see if I can find and repost them.  The gist of it was, his method of politicking or his ethical refusal to go along with the smoky backroom dealings that were the norm during that time alienated him from his own party, and that did him in.  If they (the Democrats at the time) would have backed and supported him, things might have turned out way different.  Because he was right about a lot of things, but nobody wanted to hear it and he had no support to help get his policies across positively.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The poor economy, and 15% > interest rates were doing him in.  The Crash of the rescue mission helicopters in the desert were the nails in his coffin, but also the awakening (for better and worse) of the American military to the the low point it had reached . 

Mr. Carter and Mr. Ford were the last of the statesmen presidents (Mr. Bush was in that group as well).  

Here's a good summary of what I was referencing (came from UVA, btw!)

https://millercenter.org/president/carter/domestic-affairs

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

yes an evangelical, though that doesn’t mean evangelicals are exclusive to other real Christians.

true evangelicalism can and does come in many flavors and denominations, including Catholic and Orthodox (though neither of those are “denominations”).

the term evangelical has been hijacked of late. i’m not one to let hijackers and labelists win this one.

Evangelicals evangelize. Jimmy Carter doesn’t and never did. 

God damn it stop bumping this thread. My heart can't take it. Extremely proud to have had him as my CIC. Probably the smartest man ever to hold the office. He was hand picked by Rickover.

1 minute ago, RPM said:

God damn it stop bumping this thread. My heart can't take it. Extremely proud to have had him as my CIC. Probably the smartest man ever to hold the office. He was hand picked by Rickover.

I remember reading an article about presidents, and IQ's. The smarter they were/higher IQ the less effective they were. Something about not being able to delegate authority very well, and getting too bogged down in the minutia. 

49 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I remember reading an article about presidents, and IQ's. The smarter they were/higher IQ the less effective they were. Something about not being able to delegate authority very well, and getting too bogged down in the minutia. 

Carter reminds me of the Adams presidents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I generally find my wife's genealogical research something to be tolerated rather than encouraged, but it makes me genuinely happy that she discovered that I am 6th cousins to Jimmy Carter. We call him Cousin Jimmy, and sincerest hope is that we someday again see politicians with as much character get elected again, at any level of government. 

We might be cousins of some sort since Carter was my Dad's 6th or 7th cousin also

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sounds like someone here thinks Trump was our greatest president. 

22 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

That's bad.....can you imagine being perceived as such a shitty president, that Jimmy's time in office would actually rank higher than yours??? 

Screenshot_20210616-080448_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a8b28c08458a56fc6a9d254e5fdcb7c5.jpg

Oh, hey there dotard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...