Houston Oilers

tx 3 putt

37 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Haven't cared about the NFL since they left. 

They made me realize that you have to love a team as a kid to care about it as an adult. 

They always choked but you always forgave them.

Earl Campbell. 

Bud would have brought VY to Houston. As an Oiler. Goddamn you, Bud. Just goddamn you. 

This is a perfect post. The only thing I feel beyond this post is that I enjoy actively rooting against the Texans. I do it quietly these days, as many of my buddies and family cheer for them now, but boy are they easy to root against. They do not give a shit about a single thing other than making money. Anyone thinking differently is going to continue to be disappointed. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The first professional sports franchise I fell in love with as a 4 year old boy. I wish I was around for the Luv Ya Blue! era and got to see Bum Phillips coach.

Image result for Luv Ya Blue

The Oilers were my first love too. I have Ed Biles, the coach who followed Bum, sitting next to me at the Texans games the past 2 seasons. He has great stories about coaching the Oilers and coaching Joe Namath when he was with the Jets. Told me how much pussy Namath was slaying back in the day. He thinks BOB is a shitty coach too :)

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

I grew up in the 70s in Houston in a family of Cowboys fans. My favorite player was Roger Staubach but my favorite team was the Oilers. I lived and breathed Oilers from 75 until they left. I left Houston same year they did and just by coincidence I moved to Nashville the same year they did and watched a Super Bowl. Those were great days except I think a different coach may have gotten us a championship. I'm back in Houston area since '05 and have tried to follow the Texans but can't. I followed Titans religiously until the last Oiler connection was gone and still choose them over the Texans but neither will ever feel like 'my' team the way the Oilers did. Luv ya Blue!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Nick Saban was on Jerry Glanville’s staff. I always thought Glanville got the short end of the stick from the fans, media and Bud. His Red Gun offense was superior to the Run N Shoot since it wasn’t 4 wides all the time and had TEs and FBs. 

f7f312f20cb8e28e03fbd916d2524b88.jpg

I was living in Houston when Glanville got fired and smoked his tires and fishtailed in front of the media when he drove away from the Oilers' HQ after he got fired.  I liked Glanville, he was a funny guy.

• Like 1

My first pro football game was the Oilers vs Bengals Earl's rookie year.  I remember walking into the Dome in absolute amazement.  It was the biggest building I had ever seen and the ramps and concourses seemed to go on forever.  The game was great and when they played "Luv Ya Blue" the whole building clapped and sang along.  I bought the 45 so I could play it on my record player at home.  I wore that record out.  It was a great introduction to the NFL.  I grew up in SA, so I was always a fan of both Dallas and Houston sports teams (except the Rockets and Mavs), so I always loved the Oilers although they were probably 1b to the Cowboys mostly because the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls and were America's team.  It pissed me off in 78 and 79 losing to the Steelers (especially the Renfro toe drag game), 93 when the Oilers blew it in Buffalo and again in 94 when they let Joe Montana beat them.  I was hoping for a "no lose" Super Bowl because it would have been an all Texas SB.  What could be better than that?  I cheer for the Texans now along with the Cowboys, although my fandom for both doesn't come close to what it was when I was a kid through the mid 90's.  Jerry can pull up a seat next to Bud in hell any day now as far as I am concerned. 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 2

b2d6cc0cc8aedb17ef03ce99a1b42fa0.jpg

Why I'll always despise the Steelers.

(OK, that's just one of many reasons.)

I also remember the field goal in DC that was good and would have won the game but was called wide by moron officials.  The NFL issued a rare apology letter a few days later admitting that the field goal should have been called good, but of course they didn't change the outcome, still an unearned loss on the record books.  For some reason stuff like that happened too often to the Oilers.

0,,~15884495,00.jpeg

Edit:  My first trip to the dome was actually for the Rodeo.  Biggest takeaway that day was how much it smelled like beer piss and cigarettes.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 2

My first Oiler's game was against the Bears in 1986 the year after they won the Superbowl. We got soundly beaten, but I was only 6 years old, and I was fucking spellbound by everything, the wraparound light board with the shooting cowboy, the colors, the massive scope of being a kid in the 'Dome, just everything. I was obsessed and fanatical about the Oilers as a kid, and when that POS moved them away my interest in the NFL pretty much died instantly. I tried to care about the Texans, but honestly once they announced the stupid fucking name I think that was dead in the water, and after they didn't draft VY there was zero chance I'd ever adopt them even as a team I casually paid attention to at all. 

Fuck Bud Adams. Columbia blue and Red till I die. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I still don't think you would care. Things would be the same in Houston 22 years later if the Oilers had stayed. Tennessee has been 8 inches short of accomplishing anything since leaving Houston.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Oilers name and history should have remained in Houston. Just like the Colts and Baltimore 

This all day. I wish Adams family would let it go back but they would never let it and McNairs would never want another man's legacy. Fucking sucks. 

And now that Tenn has changed helmets to blue, and NFLs stupid one helmet rule, we won't even get a throwback to those uniforms. Oilers pretty much gone forever.

I was 5 and living in Houston for Earl's first season with the Oilers.  I became a Texas fan because of Earl.  Local high school was the Longhorns too, that probably helped.

I went to the annual Oilers-Cowboys preseason game in 78 or 79 and learned from a helpful nearby fan that Danny White was a fag (dude screamed it at the top of his lungs every time he got a snap).

Oilers losing to the Bills...man.  I was hung over watching the game at a friends house and crashed at half time thinking we were a mortal lock to advance.  Later, my buddy woke me up to tell me it was tied.  I told him to fuck off and let me sleep.  Woke up a few hours later to find him drunk and still drinking, staring at the TV contemplating oblivion.

Oilers leaving Houston destroyed my faith in pro sports and it will never be restored.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Too many to tell.  When I was a producer at KTRK-13 I would go to the Oiler practice facility a couple of times a week during the season.  Some memories include Jeff Alm pretending he was going to drive his Cadillac into the group of reporters/photogs interviewing Jack Pardee in the parking lot.  Did a big fish-tail and sped off.  He died right after that (I saw the autopsy report, so don't bother). I remember Ian Howfield crying after he got cut for missing a chip-shot in Washington.  Saw Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride's first altercation. Ray Childress got me kicked out of the facility one time for telling PR guy Chip Namias that I had told Ray to tell Chip to "get Jack's ass out here because was tired of waiting for him."  Actually collected on a bet with Cody Carlson I had made several years before when he was at Baylor.  We were at the same black-tie sorority event in Waco when he was quarterback there and I was a pup at Texas.  He was trash talking at dinner and I had finally had enough.  We bet on the Texas-BU game that year, and he actually remembered it when I brought it up later and paid up.

I produced Ray Childress' show, and we also had Ernest Givins in studio every Sunday night after home games.  They were both good dudes to work with, though Ray's wife (a UT Tri-Delt) was more pleasant to be around.  Also did some of the "Off the Field" material and would go along to the players' homes to shoot interviews and b-roll.  Bruce Matthews, Mike Munchak, Chris Dishman.  When we would go over to the APC and would see Bud Adams' he would always say the same thing to Bob Allen every, single, time.  "Hey, Allen. What marriage are you on now?"  Then he would cackle as if it was the first time he ever said it.  Adams had to have been the inspiration for the Judge in "The Natural."  His office was in the basement of the APC, with no natural sunlight and the lights were always dim.

I will also take partial credit in getting Jerry Glanville fired.  The day after they lost to the Steelers in the playoffs I was sitting in the office while Bob was doing the six-o'clock and a guy calls from Intercontinental Airport to tell me that Glanville is sitting out there waiting on a flight to Atlanta.  Within an hour I had a crew from our Atlanta affiliate on the way to the airport there, but only after Bob got on the phone and screamed at their anchor.  That guy would not believe that the Falcons would interview, much less hire Glanville. He refused, but eventually caved.  Glanville's face getting off the plane was priceless.  He was caught and he knew it.  We got the video via satellite about 10-minutes to 10 p.m., and Glanville had made the comment to the effect of he was happy to be there "because if you're not sleeping in Atlanta, you're just camping out."  Bob was livid.  He called Bud and played it for him over the phone and then went onset and just winged a 2-minute rant on what a piece of shit Glanville was and how he had dissed Houston, the Oilers, errybody.  They fired Glanville the next day (or, had a mutual parting of the ways).

Last story.  After the Chiefs/Montana playoff loss I got fired for a couple of days.  The station was being remodeled and the sports department was outside in a trailer.  I had told the security guard to make sure the west side door by the heli-pad was unlocked so I could tapes to playback in time.  About 5-minutes before Tim Melton (my favorite guy) went on at 10 p.m. I ran out of the trailer with ALL my tapes.  Highlights  Post-game.  Everything.  And, the door was locked.  No one was coming.  No one was answering the phone.  So, I sat down on my ass and kicked in the bottom glass panel in and crawled through.  Otherwise, our whole Sunday sportscast would have been Tim tap-dancing for five-minutes.  The next day they brought me into the station manager's office, showed me the security tape, and fired me.  On Wednesday Bob Allen (RIP) called me and told me to "get back here."  I don't know what or how, but he and Tim went to bat for me.  Two of the best human beings you could ever hope to meet.

Now just wait a fucking minute here, sir. "Too many to tell"? I think fucking not. If the other stories are anything like what you posted here, sit your fatass down and type some more out ... please. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I was 5 and living in Houston for Earl's first season with the Oilers.  I became a Texas fan because of Earl.  Local high school was the Longhorns too, that probably helped.

I went to the annual Oilers-Cowboys preseason game in 78 or 79 and learned from a helpful nearby fan that Danny White was a fag (dude screamed it at the top of his lungs every time he got a snap).

Oilers losing to the Bills...man.  I was hung over watching the game at a friends house and crashed at half time thinking we were a mortal lock to advance.  Later, my buddy woke me up to tell me it was tied.  I told him to fuck off and let me sleep.  Woke up a few hours later to find him drunk and still drinking, staring at the TV contemplating oblivion.

Oilers leaving Houston destroyed my faith in pro sports and it will never be restored.

Was White really gay? I was too young to know anything at the time and haven't heard his name in decades unless he's also the current AD at UCF. 

If I'm being totally honest, I guess I quit on the Oilers the day of the Bills game. That's how I've really always seen it. I only paid passing attention after that. I was a young teenager. We watched the whole game, of course, and I watched my father melt all the way down - moaning, pulling at his hair, jumping up and down and screaming violent shit at the tv, and then a buddy and I went to the indoor batting cages.

I came home about 3 hours later and the living room was dimly lit with the tv off. My mother, who doesn't tolerate much bullshit about sports bringing the atmosphere down, pulled me aside when I came in and told me to just leave my father alone and he'd be better tomorrow. "Um, okay, mom. Where is he?" My Mother: "He hasn't moved. He's still sitting right where we was when you left. You didn't see him when you came in?" I walked back around the corner and sure enough, he was still sitting with one leg across his lap, chin resting on a fist propped up by an elbow, with a 1000 yard stare in the direction of the tv. Woke up the next day and he was fine. It was years before we spoke of that game in the apartment.

Also, I totally forget cause I didn't care, but what was the mood in Houston when the Titans made the Superbowl?  The Texans were new, but was the wounds still fresh?  We're y'all cheering for the Titans, or is there some ou level hatred for them?  Was there resentment that the Titans were a couple seasons from a Superbowl when they left?

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Also, I totally forget cause I didn't care, but what was the mood in Houston when the Titans made the Superbowl?  The Texans were new, but was the wounds still fresh?  We're y'all cheering for the Titans, or is there some ou level hatred for them?  Was there resentment that the Titans were a couple seasons from a Superbowl when they left?

Texans hadn't started up yet. I don't even think we even were named as the winner of the expansion team by that point. We got the expansion team in 1999 and the Texans started playing in 2002.

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Now just wait a fucking minute here, sir. "Too many to tell"? I think fucking not. If the other stories are anything like what you posted here, sit your fatass down and type some more out ... please. 

I will, or I should. 

My memory of that Bills loss is much different than most of us here.  By then it was a job and a story.  A sad story, but it was work.  My one big recollection of that day was our weekend news anchor, Bob Boudreux, running up and down the hallway screaming about the "dogshit Oilers!"  Tim Melton locked our office door so Boudreaux couldn't get in because Bob (who is a pretty intense dude anyway) was just bouncing off the walls, screaming, kicking and pounding at everything.  He had already trashed his office and was banging on our door and Tim told him to "go away. We were busy."  Boudreaux tried to break our door down.  So, my memory of that day is Boudreaux screaming outside our office while I was editing and handing my tapes to the intern after he had crawled through the window to avoid Boudreaux.  Also, our news producer made me put together a video for the close of the 10 pm. cast that night using the Mariah Carey song "Don't Want to Cry."  That song would instantaneously dredge up memories of that day.  Good times.

Edited by Saint Tacky
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Loved the Oilers. Still have some of those Exxon glasses in the cabinet at home, along with a couple plastic Big Gulp cups from 7-11 (back before Stop and Go bought them out) with cartoon Oiler players on them.

In 93 I made a bet with a Cowboy fan about who would make it further in the playoffs. It started out well with Emmit Smith holding out, but ended with Keith Cash spiking the ball into a Buddy Ryan poster. I had to shave my head at a party at the Delt house.

Agreed, I don’t really care about the NFL since they left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This is a perfect post. The only thing I feel beyond this post is that I enjoy actively rooting against the Texans. I do it quietly these days, as many of my buddies and family cheer for them now, but boy are they easy to root against. They do not give a shit about a single thing other than making money. Anyone thinking differently is going to continue to be disappointed. 

They print money.  They distribute profits every year.  Last year it was $100 million.  A million dollars for every point of ownership. Not bad.  Cash flow plus ridiculous equity increases.  

Make no mistake, they want to win. This isn’t Drayton who only cared about the facade of winning. They really, really want to win. They just don’t know how.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

They made me realize that you have to love a team as a kid to care about it as an adult. 

They always choked but you always forgave them.

Earl Campbell. 

Bud would have brought VY to Houston. As an Oiler. Goddamn you, Bud. Just goddamn you. 

Same.  

Grew up a fan of both Oilers and Cowboys since I lived near neither city. I leaned a little more towards the oilers when Earl was playing, but of course rooted hard for the Cowboys when they were in the Superbowl. Now I couldn't give a shit about the cowboys or Texans even though I now live in Houston. Crazy thing is, if the Texans were called the Oilers and had the old colors I'd probably be a fan. Old and sentimental I guess.

32 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

After that Bills game I was like

giphy.gif

The Chiefs game was the one that broke my heart. We had a group of hard pipe hitters on defense.  And that team had a shot at beating the Cowboys, who struggled with run and shoot offenses.  Buddy Ryan’s defense was special that year.  

The 92 team that choked against a buffalo would have been blasted by the Cowboys anyway.  Had they even made past the AFC title game.  No way they beat Dallas.  

• Like 1

Some really fun regular seasons. Not so much the post season. I rooted for them after the move until McNair retired and then didn’t give a shit about the NFL until Brees got to NO. 

I was dumb enough to wear my Oilers sweatshirt to school the day after the Bills comeback. Took a lot of shit from Cowboys fans. I got to my 7th grade history class and my teacher felt so bad for me he gave me a snickers out of his desk and told me I could eat it in class. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

They print money.  They distribute profits every year.  Last year it was $100 million.  A million dollars for every point of ownership. Not bad.  Cash flow plus ridiculous equity increases.  

Make no mistake, they want to win. This isn’t Drayton who only cared about the facade of winning. They really, really want to win. They just don’t know how.  

We probably both get peaks under their tent, but I'd guess from different angles. My experience with them is that they really don't give a shit about money. They view their brand and reputation, and hiring/fielding "good guys" to be sacrosanct. I think they're viewing it that way out of ego and because it's good for business. They'd rather keep failures around for continuity's sake than dump out of bad decisions with the goal of winning and look cold and expedient. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Getting an oilers glass when my mom filled up at the Exxon.  

Ernest givens doing his little dance 

And choking on leads.

I have a 32oz Oilers beer mug from I'm guessing the early 70s. Damn thing feels like it weighs 5lbs empty. I caught my wife trying to take it to Goodwill about 10 years ago. Damn near caused a divorce.

• Like 3