Houston Oilers

tx 3 putt

Being from the SA area, I was raised a huge Dallas fan. My Dad moved us to the Houston area in the early 80s and I became hooked on the Oilers as well. I was crushed when they left for Tennessee. I still look for anything Oilers that I can get my hands on. Y'all remember the old script hats that were popular in the 90s? Hat Club recently brought them back and they are awesome.

1f03378438fd8ae100c1f63c839863dd.jpg

• Like 1

Was dual fan here as well...same story: Cowboys were on TV every week, Oilers weren't.  My dad loved the Cowboys (Staubach and Landry) which is weird in itself seeing as he is from just outside Philadelphia.

Once I was a little older..middle school maybe, I started paying more attention to the Oilers and was fully on board.  Went to training camp in San Antonio one year in high school ( I think in 91)...that was pretty cool.  Standing that close and watching them run onto the practice field....the sheer size of Matthews, Dawson, etc.  The arms were the size of my waist.

The Bills loss killed me.  I remember exactly what I was doing, wearing etc... Fucking A.

I was 9 months old at my first Oilers game. Went to just about every home game until I was 16. My father, mom and grandparents all had season tickets (mom and dad divorced). I would see my family at the game. Grand mother would give me $20 to spend (when $20 would get you nachos, a coke and a hotdog).

I was the Moon / Givens / Jefferies days. Loved Jerry G wearing all black on the sidelines. Monday night Football with all the blue poms shaking was awesome. The Dome was a cool place for football.

I guess I’m a Texans fan. I’ll bandwagon. I like JJ Watt. I might have given a shit if they had been smart and drafted VY. As it is, I really just don’t care.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Should have called the Texans the Drillers and used the old Oilers colors and tell Bud to fuck off.

Yes. And nearly the same logo, like the XFL team is doing. Texans can still go to powder blue Jerseys and white helmets. Someone tell the McNairs how much $$$ they’d make in new merchandise sales!

I loved the Oilers, my favorite pro-sports team growing up, still have a box of Oilers stuff that my kid will get once he's a little taller.

I stopped giving a shit about the NFL when they moved.

I think it's absolutely fitting that Bum Phillips died while surrounded by loved ones.

I also think it's absolutely fitting Bud Adams died alone, and his body was only found after somebody called the police to do a welfare check on him. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

I'm another one who loved the oilers and hasn't cared about the nfl since they left.  Well, other than rooting against the texans from the casserley hiring on.  I wouldn't want that franchise associated in any way with the oiler name or colors.  They will never live up to the legacy and don't deserve to profit off of it.  It's bad enough that they profit off of trotting out the old oiler players.

f bud adams AND f bob lanier

• Like 1

Interesting how many of us stopped giving a shit about the NFL once the Oilers split (and then renamed themselves).

If the Oilers had not moved, and were still playing in the Astrodome, I would have made multiple trips to Oiler games with my son over the past year or two.

Of course, if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle, so.....

• Like 2

Growing up much like with baseball where I had  a favorite NL and AL team, same goes with the NFL with the AFC/NFC... And it was the Oilers and Cowboys.   Thankfully It was during a period of good times for both franchises.   

It’s a shitty shame the NFL didn’t require Bud Adams to relinquish the colors and team name once he moved to Nashville.   I don’t think it was big secret the NFL was not going to be absent from Houston for along period.  

On 10/10/2019 at 3:00 PM, Hank Chinaski said:

Haven't cared about the NFL since they left. 

They made me realize that you have to love a team as a kid to care about it as an adult. 

They always choked but you always forgave them.

Earl Campbell. 

Bud would have brought VY to Houston. As an Oiler. Goddamn you, Bud. Just goddamn you. 

This.  Perfect post.  I agree completely.

I absolutely loved the Oilers.  My first game ever was the Monday night Dolphins game where Earl ran wild....I am a Texans fan but nowhere near to degree I was for the Oilers...forexample if someone wants to play golf on a nice Sunday, I’m I gonna play some golf...that would have never happened when theOilers were  playing..

I don’t understand the Texans hate ...Are the McNairs great owners?   Obviously not ,  but they are better that fucking asshole Bud Adams...i also never understood the Titans love by some in Houston..(probably same people that still want to play Aggy)

Once the Oilers went to a Nashville, I had nothing but hate for them..That Super Bowl was a absolutely awesome...loved it.. The Titans rank right below OU on my hate meter..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

This ought to cleanse the palate after that suck-ass video of the playoff-game-that-must-not-be-named:

I forgot they had summer camp at San Angelo of all places.   Crazy in today's  era of bling in the NFL to think and NFL team would camp out in the middle of nowhere.  

6 hours ago, Teddyballgame said:

I don’t understand the Texans hate ...Are the McNairs great owners?   Obviously not ,  but they are better that fucking asshole Bud Adams.

90% they are not the Oilers, 5% apathy/dislike of the name/colors/etc. and 5% hate of the NFL for this happening. Don't give a shit about the owners, if I did, I never would have rooted for the Oilers.

When it was announced that they were moving, I just stopped caring.   I probably went through some grief of sorts, but I was already prepared, so I just stopped caring.  It's actually remarkable how quickly I said "fuck it" - I don't think I've watched a complete NFL game since the Oilers left.

Even if I had been living around or in Houston after the Texans came in, I don't think I would care.   

I could not tell you what it would take to get me to give a shit about an NFL team these days, even if I had time these days, because I can't think of anything.  There was just something about the Oilers, something about the Astrodome, something about the history of the players who suited up as Oilers.  I like what was said earlier, about growing up as a child with them making you a fan as an adult.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Like all yall, i still say the late 80s and 90s oilers uniform were the cleanest and best looking in nfl

Yep, loved it, and it was so damned distinctive compared to a lot of them.

Same with the Astros rainbow unis.  Came across this bit about the Astros rainbow uniforms - apparently the people designing it had never done uniforms before, but everybody agreed they wanted something unique.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20219881/the-history-houston-iconic-rainbow-uniforms-story-worth-telling

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They might have. And I guess back then San Marcos was kind of a remote outpost. Lol. No traffic jams on I-35 for sure.

Don't forget Kerrville....Fucking training camp in Kerrville, San Angelo and San Marcos!  Oilers!

SWCFROG

Edited by SWCFROG

5 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Who in the NFL allowed this to happen?

Modell announced he’d move the Browns in ‘94 and the sports world felt bad for Cleveland, and NFL announced team name, colors, and records would remain in Cleveland. A year later, Bud announces he’ll move to Tennessee and says some horseshit about how the Oilers name is “precious to his family” or something and NFL agrees to let him keep the trademark to the name, logo, colors, records, etc. I guess a difference is that the NFL immediately planned to put an expansion team in Cleveland, but did everything they could to get the expansion 32nd team to LA. Houston was the consolation prize for the NFL in 2002.

Also the McNairs did nothing (publicly) to inquire about getting the name and logo. Maybe they did and were told no, or maybe they knew it was a lost cause. Either way, they miscalculated and bet on being “not the Oilers” as a way to win the Houston diehards. He should have gone with the Oilers and bet on being “not Bud Adams.”

Yeah Fuck Bud Adams but IMO Lanier doesn't get enough of the blame. Nor do Houston voters. We backed Lanier as he ran Bud out of town and then bent over for McNair and gave him everything Bud wanted and more. And fuck me runnin' if the McNairs aren't even more inept at running a football franchise than Bud was. Bud at least had some scalps on the wall (in the AFL, lol) and ran an entertaining circus of a franchise. When he had a chance to draft/sign fan favorites, he did it, from Billy Cannon through Earl to Ray Childress. Signing Warren Moon out of the CFL was bold and viewed as woke for the times; contrast that to "The Warden" McNair. ( White Texans fans have disagreed with me on here, but the fact is that the Texans are viewed as a racist franchise in the 'hood.) 

Ladd Herzeg mooning a wedding party was juvenile drunken behavior unbecoming of an NFL GM but it was entertaining as hell. Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride duking it out on the sidelines was juvenile behavior unbecoming of NFL coordinators but it was entertaining as hell.

McNair would have told White Shoes Johnson to tone it down with the end zone dances and traded him for spares when he didn't. He would never have signed a reprobate like the Snake. (Giff Nielsen would have been the QB for years -- he is an ideal McNair "face of the franchise.") Bum Phillips?  Why, the man is so uncouth!

The Oilers were Houston as fuck, from mascot to helmet sticker to colors, which they shared with our cop cars and our curb tiles. Columbia blue was kinda becoming the color of Houston. Now the Oilers are gone, the cop cars are white with only blue trim (if that), and the curb tiles (which were long obsolete anyway) are vanishing fast from their last holdouts.

The Texans are the most perfectly generic example of bland NFL rectitude around. The die was cast before they ever played a down when McNair overruled Casserly on their first draft day. Say what you will about Casserly, but the man was capable of rubber-stamping a no-brainer football decision when presented with one, such as he was way back then. That was to make Julius Peppers the team's first draft pick and foundation cornerstone. McNair shot that down because he wanted a milk and cookie boy / face of the franchise / fine Christian gentleman and got it in David Carr. A fine lot of good Carr's Christian raisin' did behind the criminally negligent offensive lines the Texans trotted out for him. And it's been the same ever since. Moral character over football skills. Carts before horses. Not drafting VY. Absolutely no innovation on either side of the ball. Vanilla uniforms and team name. One coach after another spouting the same tedious platitudes in postgame press conferences after the latest devastating loss: "This is on me," "I have to get better as a coach," yadayada. Good-to-great quarterbacks and receivers laboring futilely behind and aside the worst linemen in the NFL; generational DL talents unable to overcome mediocre-to-bad DB play. 

The whole city rallied around and "luvved" its blue. The Texans have given us a shitty retread of a Rage Against the Machine song as their theme and "Battle Red Day." The Oilers were a bottom-up expression of organic petrochemical-tinged blue-collar Houston. The Texans are corporate suite, focus-grouped bullshit that could come from anywhere. 

On a positive note, I have long been in the actively rooting against the Texans camp, and it has been one of the most rewarding fan experiences I have ever had in 40-plus years of three-sport fandom. It's like pulling for the Ruth-Gehrig Yankees. The Texans are the perpetual 1927 Yankees of mediocrity and if you are aligned with that fact and pull for disappointments and sorrow, you are endlessly rewarded.

And you get a new favorite NFL team every week.

• Like 3

I’ve seen pretty much all of my teams win titles: Longhorn football, Longhorn baseball and the Astros.  Thanks to Bud the Oilers will never win one and I no longer watch the NFL except to follow former Horns.  The only good thing I have to say about Bud is that because of him at least we didn’t have to deal with the shitshow that is Jeff Fisher.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, Updawg said:
On 10/11/2019 at 3:15 PM, Drunk Stoner said:
Oiler child of the 70s too.  Earl was my favorite Oiler, and after reading his first book, I became Longhorn.  Thank you Oilers and Earl.
Fuck Bud Adams

Between your username and this post I think we may be long lost twin brothers

You were the lucky one.  Dad graduated La Tech with Bradshaw and was a Steelers fan.  You can imagine what those Sundays were like...

Fuck the Steelers, Terry and our dad!

Texans = aggy 

I loved them so much that I actually hung on for a couple of years when they were still called the Oilers and kept the uniforms in Tennessee.  I still loved the players.  It wasn’t their fault. I finally was able to break away when Adams changed the name and uniforms.  Of course, they immediately made it to the Super Bowl after that.  

Since I was living in San Diego at the time, I actually started a casual relationship with the Chargers after I lost the Oilers.  Now they are gone.  It was never the same with the Chargers, not even close.   I watched and cheered, but never felt.  Even so, their move out of SD absolutely killed any remaining interest I had in the NFL.  I don’t even watch the Super Bowl anymore.  

My reaction to the Texans:

espn simmons GIF

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 2:14 PM, Little Steven said:

I’ve seen pretty much all of my teams win titles: Longhorn football, Longhorn baseball and the Astros.  Thanks to Bud the Oilers will never win one and I no longer watch the NFL except to follow former Horns.  The only good thing I have to say about Bud is that because of him at least we didn’t have to deal with the shitshow that is Jeff Fisher.

Not old enough to remember the 1960 or 1961 AFL championship?

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 6:50 PM, DFW Horn said:

Why the hell was Cleveland allowed to retain the "Browns" team name and history while Houston got rear-ended? Fuck the NFL and Roger Goodell or whoever signed off on that.

That would have been Paul Tagliabue.    Yea it was a stupid decision, but he was still a better commish than Goodell.     Goodell can go suck it.

Yep, loved it, and it was so damned distinctive compared to a lot of them.
Same with the Astros rainbow unis.  Came across this bit about the Astros rainbow uniforms - apparently the people designing it had never done uniforms before, but everybody agreed they wanted something unique.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20219881/the-history-houston-iconic-rainbow-uniforms-story-worth-telling

fuck Spec Richardson. a stupider motherfucker never lived. that fucking cretin traded away an all star team full of players for bags of dogshit. I got to meet him once. my girlfriend's parents were friends with the Richardsons and I met him at a party at their house. and being an asshole even then I told him off when he was bragging about a golden glove. told him golden gloves were nice and all but some more hitting production would be better. my girlfriend was not happy, with him. she was a huge Astros fan and hated his guts. ah good times.