Houston Oilers

tx 3 putt

Bud Adams’s daughter seems like a huge bitch

On Texans being allowed to wear Oiler uniforms, (or even colors?) in a throwback game:

“Very interesting, except the Oilers don’t have anything to do with the Texans,” 

she said. “So that’s a hard no.”

Strunk’s statement is correct from a legal perspective. The Texans and Titans are distinct businesses, each controlling their own intellectual property and trademarks. But what she said is also absurd. Of course the Oilers have something to do with the Texans—they’re both NFL franchises that have called the same city home. The people of Houston celebrated triumphs and mourned failures with each, investing emotionally and buying heaps of team logo-emblazoned merchandise along the way.

She also made some stupid ass facetious comment in the same interview along the lines of as an olive branch to Oilers fans in Houston, she might consider having the Titans wear them as the road team. This stupid bitch has no desire to bury the hatchet. 

14 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Lucky sperm club.  Her brother was tabbed to be the successor a long, long time ago. But, he offed himself at the family farm back in the mid-80s so she gets the team by default. Consider the source didn't fall far from the tree.  

I remembered a good Bud Adams story yesterday.  In the midst of haggling with the City of Houston over the Astrodome Bud called a press conference to announce that he and Les Alexander (Rockets' owner) were joining forces to fund and build a multi-purpose covered stadium to be used by both franchises. He presented a scale model of a domed stadium and wheezed on and on about finances and the relationship with Alexander and the Rockets.  We called the Rockets and they had no idea what the hell Bud was talking about, but deferred to Alexander.  When we finally got Alexander on the phone he told us that this domed stadium  and partnership was all news to him and that he had not spoken to Bud, and further, the Rockets would not be interested in a multi-purpose facility to replace the Summit (basketball only).

Liar, Liar Pants on Fire

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Lucky sperm club.  Her brother was tabbed to be the successor a long, long time ago. But, he offed himself at the family farm back in the mid-80s so she gets the team by default. Consider the source didn't fall far from the tree.  

I remembered a good Bud Adams story yesterday.  In the midst of haggling with the City of Houston over the Astrodome Bud called a press conference to announce that he and Les Alexander (Rockets' owner) were joining forces to fund and build a multi-purpose covered stadium to be used by both franchises. He presented a scale model of a domed stadium and wheezed on and on about finances and the relationship with Alexander and the Rockets.  We called the Rockets and they had no idea what the hell Bud was talking about, but deferred to Alexander.  When we finally got Alexander on the phone he told us that this domed stadium  and partnership was all news to him and that he had not spoken to Bud, and further, the Rockets would not be interested in a multi-purpose facility to replace the Summit (basketball only).

Liar, Liar Pants on Fire

Plus, wasn't this proposed stadium supposed to be in Conroe? Which back then, might as well have been in Centerville. No one would have ever gone to it. 

2 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Plus, wasn't this proposed stadium supposed to be in Conroe? Which back then, might as well have been in Centerville. No one would have ever gone to it. 

Downtown.  Which was also news to Bob Lanier and the city.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Adams threatened to move the team to Jacksonville in 1987 because he wanted the Astrodome renovated.  So the city stepped up and renovated.  Then 5 years later he wants a new stadium.  Fuck that noise.  

Yes! Which is how the scoreboard in the Dome met its demise.  Every time I see the home run display at Minute Maid it reminds me of that scoreboard in the Astrodome.

Dome Scoreboard  

I think that when taxpayers fund stadiums for professional sports teams, they should get a significant enough ownership stake in the associated franchise to be able to veto relocation. 

And/or, the teams should simply be 51% publicly owned to prevent relocation shenanigans. I doubt anything the city of Dallas has invested in since 1989 has had a return like Jerry Jones' ownership stake in the Cowboys has. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Am a Cowboys fan, but I really enjoyed watching the Oilers growing up.

When they were on offense with Moon, it felt like they played just like we did on the playground. 

spacer.png

Moon threw for 527 yards in that game back in 1990, tied for second-best in NFL history.

my best friend in HS and i went down to the 49ers game the last year they were in houston.  young gets knocked out with a concussion in the first quarter, rice has one catch for 3 yards, a rookie TO catches the gw td and the oilers lose 10-9.  after the game we waited out in the players lot with very few other fans and mcnair and george both refused to sign autographs.  summed up my youth as an oilers fan.

8 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Adams threatened to move the team to Jacksonville in 1987 because he wanted the Astrodome renovated.  So the city stepped up and renovated.  Then 5 years later he wants a new stadium.  Fuck that noise.  

lol this reads like a comedy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Tennessee_Titans

Growing up both my dad and step dad were Cowboys fans, so I was as well. However, I was an even bigger Longhorn fan. I grew up in and around Austin. On the weekends I was at my dad's and UT had a home game, my friend and I would ride our bikes to Memorial stadium and get into the UT games for free at halftime.

I became an Oilers fan when Earl became an Oiler.

Then, like someone said above, the Oilers left Houston, and I never really followed the NFL again.

I skipped the middle pages of this thread, but not sorry if already posted:

• Like 1

I remember the Buffalo game so vividly. I was 8, about to turn 9.

For some reason, we had gone to my aunt and uncle's house for some sort of family get-together and of course the game was on. The family squeezed in to watch the first half domination. Actual quote from my cousin: "I have never seen a QB play as well as Moon has. I hope we [Cowboys] don't run into them in Pasadena."

After Bubba made the pick six, everyone scrambled to the backyard to lounge, smoke, drink, etc. I was the only one that stayed in front of the TV. I watched a nuclear meltdown take place. My father came into the room to fetch a cigar he'd left behind just after Moon hit Slaughter on that 4th down play on that final drive of regulation. Dad said "how bad is it now?" These were my exact words:

"Houston is losing, but they're about to score either to tie or win."

The look he gave me, I may as well have just said "your mother sucks cocks in Hell."

Slowly, the rest crept in wondering where he had gone. By the time the OT drive had started, everyone was squeezed in once again. The females were just beside themselves that Moon had thrown an INT and the males were irate that Darryl Talley wasn't called for PI. 

I said "that wasn't the only call they missed."

Asked what I meant, I said "earlier, Don Beebe caught a TD pass even though he clearly ran out of bounds and came back in to get it." Again I received the "your mother sucks cocks in Hell" face.

After Christie hit the FG, they again adjourned to the backyard. I didn't know what a Full Winston Churchill was at the time, but that was it. He was once known to say "I could not live without Champagne. In victory I deserve it. In defeat I need it." They all drank in both that afternoon. Horrible.

6 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I remember the Buffalo game so vividly. I was 8, about to turn 9.

For some reason, we had gone to my aunt and uncle's house for some sort of family get-together and of course the game was on. The family squeezed in to watch the first half domination. Actual quote from my cousin: "I have never seen a QB play as well as Moon has. I hope we [Cowboys] don't run into them in Pasadena."

After Bubba made the pick six, everyone scrambled to the backyard to lounge, smoke, drink, etc. I was the only one that stayed in front of the TV. I watched a nuclear meltdown take place. My father came into the room to fetch a cigar he'd left behind just after Moon hit Slaughter on that 4th down play on that final drive of regulation. Dad said "how bad is it now?" These were my exact words:

"Houston is losing, but they're about to score either to tie or win."

The look he gave me, I may as well have just said "your mother sucks cocks in Hell."

Slowly, the rest crept in wondering where he had gone. By the time the OT drive had started, everyone was squeezed in once again. The females were just beside themselves that Moon had thrown an INT and the males were irate that Darryl Talley wasn't called for PI. 

I said "that wasn't the only call they missed."

Asked what I meant, I said "earlier, Don Beebe caught a TD pass even though he clearly ran out of bounds and came back in to get it." Again I received the "your mother sucks cocks in Hell" face.

After Christie hit the FG, they again adjourned to the backyard. I didn't know what a Full Winston Churchill was at the time, but that was it. He was once known to say "I could not live without Champagne. In victory I deserve it. In defeat I need it." They all drank in both that afternoon. Horrible.

I've told my story before on TOS or TOOS, can't remember. I was in college at the time but was home in SA for the holidays. I'd gone out with some fraternity/HS buddies of mine and crashed at his house in The Dominion. We lived inside 1604. We were out and up pretty late so the next day wake-up call was not welcome. I think we drug our hung-over selves out of bed right about kickoff and I watched the first half there. Wow, what a result -- this is amazing! No Jim Kelly. It's 28-3! Now it's 35-3 after the McDowell Pick-6!! I decide to leave his house and head for home, probably a 15-20 minute drive. I walk in the door at my parents' house and my younger brother is sitting on the couch watching something that wasn't the Oilers game.

Me: "What's the deal? Why aren't you watching the game?"

Him: "Dude, they're kicking their ass. Why bother?"

Me: "Just flip it over. Let me see the score."

He changes the channel back to NBC. The Bills are lining up for a kickoff and the Rich Stadium crowd is going nuts. Uh oh, I thought. What is happening? (My dad used to always belly-ache about the "Run and Shoot" and how you could never simply put a game to bed with that offense. It couldn't bleed clock when that's all you needed to do.) Pretty sure the next thing that happened was the Bills recovered an onside kick and immediately Reich threw a TD pass on the very first play and I think it's suddenly 35-24 and there's like a quarter-and-a-half remaining in the game. The rest of the game was sheer agony. Everybody knows what happened. (As bad as that loss was, I think losing to the Chiefs the following year was worse. I was convinced the Oilers were going to meet the Cowboys in the Super Bowl and it would've been the most epic fraternity house SB party of all-time. Somebody might've died.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

(My dad used to always belly-ache about the "Run and Shoot" and how you could never simply put a game to bed with that offense. It couldn't bleed clock when that's all you needed to do.) Pretty sure the next thing that happened was the Bills recovered an onside kick and immediately Reich threw a TD pass on the very first play and I think it's suddenly 35-24 and there's like a quarter-and-a-half remaining in the game. The rest of the game was sheer agony. Everybody knows what happened. (As bad as that loss was, I think losing to the Chiefs the following year was worse. I was convinced the Oilers were going to meet the Cowboys in the Super Bowl and it would've been the most epic fraternity house SB party of all-time. Somebody might've died.)

I understand someone else said it, but that line of thinking has always irked me when discussing that game in particular. Greg Montgomery alone contributed more to Houston's self-destruction than anything the combined 11 offensive starters could have ever done.

Edited by hpslugga

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

He changes the channel back to NBC. The Bills are lining up for a kickoff and the Rich Stadium crowd is going nuts. Uh oh, I thought. What is happening? (My dad used to always belly-ache about the "Run and Shoot" and how you could never simply put a game to bed with that offense. It couldn't bleed clock when that's all you needed to do.) Pretty sure the next thing that happened was the Bills recovered an onside kick and immediately Reich threw a TD pass on the very first play and I think it's suddenly 35-24 and there's like a quarter-and-a-half remaining in the game. The rest of the game was sheer agony. Everybody knows what happened. (As bad as that loss was, I think losing to the Chiefs the following year was worse. I was convinced the Oilers were going to meet the Cowboys in the Super Bowl and it would've been the most epic fraternity house SB party of all-time. Somebody might've died.)

He was right you know.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:10 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

I think that when taxpayers fund stadiums for professional sports teams, they should get a significant enough ownership stake in the associated franchise to be able to veto relocation. 

And/or, the teams should simply be 51% publicly owned to prevent relocation shenanigans. I doubt anything the city of Dallas has invested in since 1989 has had a return like Jerry Jones' ownership stake in the Cowboys has. 

Regarding paying for stadiums, why would the City Of Dallas invest or look for a return from the Cowboys?  Since 1989, when Jones took over, the stadium in which the Cowboys played was first in Irving and then Arlington. The last place the Cowboys played in Dallas was at the Cotton Bowl. 

2 hours ago, hpslugga said:

I understand someone else said it, but that line of thinking has always irked me when discussing that game in particular. Greg Montgomery alone contributed more to Houston's self-destruction than anything the combined 11 offensive starters could have ever done.

Wish I could find the play-by-play of that game somewhere. His point being -- and I don't necessarily agree with it -- that when you're up 35-3 early in the second half, if you are able to run the ball (the Oilers weren't terrible at it per se but they definitely didn't run enough -- or even have a TE on the roster IIRC -- to consistently be able to run the ball when teams knew you wanted to run. I'm pretty sure there are some quick three-and-outs in the 3rd where it was three passes and a punt (probably into some wind) that took 45 seconds of game clock off.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:56 AM, Johnny Sack said:

Revisionist history.

The renovations to the Dome were a condition of signing a new 10-year lease in 1987.  Three years prior to the expiration of that lease the Oilers and Harris County Sports Authority opened negotiators on an extension, at which point the latter (backed by shitbag Bob Lanier and even bigger shitbag Drayton “There’s nothing wrong with the Dome” McLane) told the Oilers to fuck off.  The Oilers offered to pay 1/3 of the cost of a new stadium with a retractable roof and HC told them to fuck off.

• Like 3

CHRIS DISHMAN .... riding to work one morning listening to Stevens & Pruit they recalled being in the Oiler locker room after a game. They said DISHMAN was know as the HUMAN TRIPOD to whoever had seen him in the that room. spacer.png

Edited by US183

7 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Revisionist history.

The renovations to the Dome were a condition of signing a new 10-year lease in 1987.  Three years prior to the expiration of that lease the Oilers and Harris County Sports Authority opened negotiators on an extension, at which point the latter (backed by shitbag Bob Lanier and even bigger shitbag Drayton “There’s nothing wrong with the Dome” McLane) told the Oilers to fuck off.  The Oilers offered to pay 1/3 of the cost of a new stadium with a retractable roof and HC told them to fuck off.

This is the truth. I fucking hate Drayton as much as Bud if not worse. Lanier sucked too for not lifting a finger to keep the Oilers and diverting the money from Metro that Houston voted for to create a comprehensive monorail system that would have gone to the Galleria, downtown, Greenway. Far superior to the light rail we have that doesn’t go anywhere where people live or want to go except for the Red Line.

Fucking Drayton said the Dome was fine causing the Oilers to leave since Bud was stuck being a tenant of that bastard. After they bolted, Uncle Drayton and his Baylor Baptist fuckface self was about to sell the Astros to an ownership group that wanted to move them to Northern Virginia. He would have caused us to have lost both of our teams if he wasn’t prevented from doing so by MLB and told to work a deal with Harris County. We get the referendum passed to build Enron Field and then our first season there in 2000 the motherfucker LOWERS the payroll for the team during the Killer Bs prime.

Hunsicker BEGGED that son of a bitch to spend just a little on our bullpen back then so that we can win a WS. Drayton deserves to be hated and reviled by every Houston sports fan. Thank God he sold the team and is no longer a part of HOUSTON. It is fitting that his name is on Rapelor’s stadium.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Warren Moon threw the tightest spiral I’m the NFL...

Troy Aikman stated as much this during a game broadcast this season.

15 hours ago, US183 said:

CHRIS DISHMAN .... riding to work one morning listening to Stevens & Pruit they recalled being in the Oiler locker room after a game. They said DISHMAN was know as the HUMAN TRIPOD to whoever had seen him in the that room. spacer.png

I lost respect for Dishman as he was part of the coaching staff at Baylor under Briles. He was one of those deniers supporting Briles and fuck him for that. He was a great CB for the Oilers though.

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

Wish I could find the play-by-play of that game somewhere. His point being -- and I don't necessarily agree with it -- that when you're up 35-3 early in the second half, if you are able to run the ball (the Oilers weren't terrible at it per se but they definitely didn't run enough -- or even have a TE on the roster IIRC -- to consistently be able to run the ball when teams knew you wanted to run. I'm pretty sure there are some quick three-and-outs in the 3rd where it was three passes and a punt (probably into some wind) that took 45 seconds of game clock off.

if the Oilers had simply take a knee on every offensive snap once they were up 35-3 there would have been no way the Bills could have come back.

Edited by MAROON

There are so many justifiable reasons to hate Drayton McLane. We should start a list. In addition to what I have said already, changing the Astros unis for the open star look, especially the pinstripe monstrosities and defiling Minute Maid with Junction Jack mascot. Going back to our classic H-star hat and bringing back Orbit was the start of the Crane-Luhnow Astros renaissance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'll be happy to provide it as well as the context, Houston's offensive possessions in bold:

-Of course, Buffalo took the opening second half possession, ran 3 plays and out goes McDowell for the pick 6 just 1:41 into the quarter.
-Del Greco botches a squib kick and Buffalo gets the ball at midfield. The end up going on a long drive and score; 35-10.
-Christie recovers a suicide onside kickoff, Beebe ends up hauling in that horseshit TD pass; 35-17.
-The offense takes the field for the first time in the second half when Buffalo had basically cut the lead in half. The game literally went from Del Greco’s XP to make it 28-3 until Christie’s XP to make it 35-17 and Houston’s offense had taken zero snaps in between. They then go three and out. This would be the first possession Houston had that did not result in a TD. But it's important to note the momentum shift that had just occurred. Go look at the video someone else posted, forward it to 1:19:00 and just listen to the stadium. It's already erupting and the Oilers' offense hasn't had a goddamned thing to do with it. That possession lasted about 1:40, which is only 20 seconds shorter than if they'd taken @MAROON asinine strategy of taking knees in the 3rd quarter.
-Greg Montgomery shanks a punt for 25 yards and the Bills get their third straight possession starting near midfield.
-Andre Reed ends up catching his first of 3 TD’s; 35-24.
-Houston’s O commits its first and only turnover of regulation on the first play of the possession; Buffalo again gets a possession in plus territory.
-Reed catches a 4th down pass in the EZ; 35-31.

See what happened there? I mean I’ll give you that 4 plays for 3 yards, no first downs and a turnover is a terrible 2-possession stretch, but the hideousness of that is undetectable compared to what occurred on the defensive and special teams sides of things in that same span, and unlike the offense for the remainder of regulation, it neither began nor did not stop there.

-Moon ends up hitting Webster Slaughter for a 16-yard gain, but gets strip sacked on the ensuing series of downs and throws 2 straight incompletions.
-Montgomery, of course, would go on to shank another punt, this time a 24-yarder.
-Luckily for Houston, Buffalo didn't cash in. They held the Bills to a three and out, including a dropped interception by Steve Jackson

So what about the rest of the 4th quarter?

-Houston took over from its own 9 after a placement punt from Mohr. They went on a 14-play 77-yard drive that resulted in 0 points. Why 0? Greg Mother Fucking Montgomery. He was given a perfectly good snap on the FG and just flubbed the living fuck out of it. Buffalo recovers and sets up shop on their own 26. So by this point, Greg Montgomery has had as many catastrophic fuck ups as the Oilers' offense has had possessions, hence my previous comment.
-Then, of course, Reich leads the Bills on another TD drive with another pass to Reed in the EZ and it's now Buffalo's lead with 3:08 to play.
-Houston then goes on a 63-yard drive, which took only 1:58 off the clock, to tie the game with a FG.

So their last 2 possessions in regulation netted 140 yards and...3 points.

Or just look at it this way:

I, a soothsayer, tell you, an NFL OC, that your offense is going to end up scoring 4 TD's, will turn the ball over once, will have one three and out, and will put the FG team in position to make 2 FG's in an NFL Wild Card game. What would you say?

I, again a soothsayer, tell you, an NFL DC, that your defense is going to give up 5 TD's all in one half in said NFL Wild Card game. What would you say?

I, once again, a soothsayer, tell you, an NFL Special Teams Coordinator, that your units are going to botch a FG snap, botch a squib kick that the other team will recover on the 50, fail to recover an onside kick again at the 50, would surrender a 35-yard kick return on your team's very first kick cover, and shank two punts that net a total of 49 yards combined. What would you say?

My guess is that your answers, if you're honest, would be "great," "terrible," and "holy fucking shit, are you kidding?" Given that, it's beyond inappropriate to even begin discussing whatever offensive system said team is running as a cause of said choke. It'd take a gold medal display of mental gymnastics to answer the reverse in any context.

46 minutes ago, MAROON said:

if the Oilers had simply take a knee on every offensive snap once they were up 35-3 there would have been no way the Bills could have come back.

I've seen this claim before, and it's utter horseshit. To say something like that is to afford Houston's D and ST a level of apologetics that is seldom seen even in the sporting arena. You know better.

Houston's total TOP for the second half was 13:02. 

Taking 15 knees on 5 possessions? 10:00 even, and given how poorly Montgomery played in the second half, you'd be committing suicide by placing any sort of confidence in him by depending on his leg to pin Buffalo deep after 2 consecutive shanks. 

All your strategy would have accomplished would have been that Buffalo takes the lead with 6 minutes left in the game instead of 3. Whoopty doo.

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Let's not forget the cocksmoker John McMullen for sending Nolan Ryan to the Rangers over a $500,000 dispute.

and then signing Jim Clancy as his replacement

I'll never forget Milo Hamilton going nearly apoplectic in the booth when Clancy gave up like 7 runs in the first inning-- "Ed Ott needs to get out there and start talkin' to Clancy like a Dutch uncle!!!!!!"

At least I think Ed Ott was the pitching coach that year. 

7 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I'll be happy to provide it as well as the context, Houston's offensive possessions in bold:

-Of course, Buffalo took the opening second half possession, ran 3 plays and out goes McDowell for the pick 6 just 1:41 into the quarter.
-Del Greco botches a squib kick and Buffalo gets the ball at midfield. The end up going on a long drive and score; 35-10.
-Christie recovers a suicide onside kickoff, Beebe ends up hauling in that horseshit TD pass; 35-17.
-The offense takes the field for the first time in the second half when Buffalo had basically cut the lead in half. The game literally went from Del Greco’s XP to make it 28-3 until Christie’s XP to make it 35-17 and Houston’s offense had taken zero snaps in between. They then go three and out. This would be the first possession Houston had that did not result in a TD. But it's important to note the momentum shift that had just occurred. Go look at the video someone else posted, forward it to 1:19:00 and just listen to the stadium. It's already erupting and the Oilers' offense hasn't had a goddamned thing to do with it. That possession lasted about 1:40, which is only 20 seconds shorter than if they'd taken @MAROON asinine strategy of taking knees in the 3rd quarter.
-Greg Montgomery shanks a punt for 25 yards and the Bills get their third straight possession starting near midfield.
-Andre Reed ends up catching his first of 3 TD’s; 35-24.
-Houston’s O commits its first and only turnover of regulation on the first play of the possession; Buffalo again gets a possession in plus territory.
-Reed catches a 4th down pass in the EZ; 35-31.

See what happened there? I mean I’ll give you that 4 plays for 3 yards, no first downs and a turnover is a terrible 2-possession stretch, but the hideousness of that is undetectable compared to what occurred on the defensive and special teams sides of things in that same span, and unlike the offense for the remainder of regulation, it neither began nor did not stop there.

-Moon ends up hitting Webster Slaughter for a 16-yard gain, but gets strip sacked on the ensuing series of downs and throws 2 straight incompletions.
-Montgomery, of course, would go on to shank another punt, this time a 24-yarder.
-Luckily for Houston, Buffalo didn't cash in. They held the Bills to a three and out, including a dropped interception by Steve Jackson

So what about the rest of the 4th quarter?

-Houston took over from its own 9 after a placement punt from Mohr. They went on a 14-play 77-yard drive that resulted in 0 points. Why 0? Greg Mother Fucking Montgomery. He was given a perfectly good snap on the FG and just flubbed the living fuck out of it. Buffalo recovers and sets up shop on their own 26. So by this point, Greg Montgomery has had as many catastrophic fuck ups as the Oilers' offense has had possessions, hence my previous comment.
-Then, of course, Reich leads the Bills on another TD drive with another pass to Reed in the EZ and it's now Buffalo's lead with 3:08 to play.
-Houston then goes on a 63-yard drive, which took only 1:58 off the clock, to tie the game with a FG.

So their last 2 possessions in regulation netted 140 yards and...3 points.

Or just look at it this way:

I, a soothsayer, tell you, an NFL OC, that your offense is going to end up scoring 4 TD's, will turn the ball over once, will have one three and out, and will put the FG team in position to make 2 FG's in an NFL Wild Card game. What would you say?

I, again a soothsayer, tell you, an NFL DC, that your defense is going to give up 5 TD's all in one half in said NFL Wild Card game. What would you say?

I, once again, a soothsayer, tell you, an NFL Special Teams Coordinator, that your units are going to botch a FG snap, botch a squib kick that the other team will recover on the 50, fail to recover an onside kick again at the 50, would surrender a 35-yard kick return on your team's very first kick cover, and shank two punts that net a total of 49 yards combined. What would you say?

My guess is that your answers, if you're honest, would be "great," "terrible," and "holy fucking shit, are you kidding?" Given that, it's beyond inappropriate to even begin discussing whatever offensive system said team is running as a cause of said choke. It'd take a gold medal display of mental gymnastics to answer the reverse in any context.

I've seen this claim before, and it's utter horseshit. To say something like that is to afford Houston's D and ST a level of apologetics that is seldom seen even in the sporting arena. You know better.

Houston's total TOP for the second half was 13:02. 

Taking 15 knees on 5 possessions? 10:00 even, and given how poorly Montgomery played in the second half, you'd be committing suicide by placing any sort of confidence in him by depending on his leg to pin Buffalo deep after 2 consecutive shanks. 

All your strategy would have accomplished would have been that Buffalo takes the lead with 6 minutes left in the game instead of 3. Whoopty doo.

Funny you sen this. Just read the Wiki entry on the game. I forgot how bad of a day Montgomery had -- and also all the beneficial calls from the refs Buffalo got.

• Like 1

From the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comeback_(American_football)

The Bills got a huge assist to start their comeback on the ensuing kickoff. The wind shifted the ball just before it was kicked by Al Del Greco. As a result, it became an unintentional squib kick that the Bills recovered with great field position at midfield. Buffalo then drove 50 yards in 10 plays, including a pass to Pete Metzelaars that went right through the hands of linebacker Eddie Robinson, and scored with a 1-yard touchdown run by Davis, cutting the deficit to 35–10 when the extra point was added. On the drive, Reich completed a 24-yard pass to tight end Metzelaars and a 16-yard strike to Andre Reed, while Davis kept the drive going with a 5-yard run on fourth down and 2 before finishing it off with a touchdown run with 8:52 left in the 3rd quarter.

The Bills, still with a 25 point deficit, tried an onside kick. Steve Christie, Buffalo's kicker and punter recovered his own onside kick and the Bills scored on the fourth play of their ensuing drive with Reich's 38-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Don Beebe. One of Beebe's feet went partially out of bounds during the run before he made the catch, and it should have been ruled by the officials as an illegal touching of the football; this was pointed out on ESPN's "NFL Primetime" postgame recap as well as by Todd Christensen on the NBC broadcast, but no penalty was called on the play, and at the time the NFL did not have any replay challenge system to challenge the call. The extra point made the score 35–17 with 7:46 left in the third quarter.

Overtime[edit]

Houston won the coin toss and got the ball at its 20-yard line. Moon started out the drive with two completions for 7 yards, but his 50th pass attempt of the day turned out to be his last. On third down and three, Moon threw a pass intended for Ernest Givins five yards downfield. Givins was not able to get to the ball and it ended up further downfield into the arms of defensive back Nate Odomes for an interception. After a 2-yard return, Jeffires committed a 15-yard facemask penalty while making the tackle, giving Buffalo a first down on Houston's 20-yard line. Game commentators examined the replay and strongly asserted that Givins was held on the play by Darryl Talley. However, the referees assessed no holding penalty against Buffalo, so they retained possession. After two runs by Davis, Christie kicked a 32-yard field goal to give Buffalo the win, 41–38.

The Oilers fired DC Jim Eddy and DB coach Pat Thomas the day after the game. That led to the hiring of Buddy Ryan as DC and set the stage for perhaps an even bigger nut-kick in the loss to Joe Montana and the Chiefs the next year.

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Let's not forget the cocksmoker John McMullen for sending Nolan Ryan to the Rangers over a $500,000 dispute.

Yes, fuck this guy too.  Especially given that the attendance figures were so much higher when Nolan pitched, that he would have paid for himself.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

From the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comeback_(American_football)

The Oilers fired DC Jim Eddy and DB coach Pat Thomas the day after the game. That led to the hiring of Buddy Ryan as DC and set the stage for perhaps an even bigger nut-kick in the loss to Joe Montana and the Chiefs the next year.

I remember what my dad said when he first found out about the Ryan hire.

"Shit."

My mom goes "what?"

"Well they'll get better as a defense, but the team as a whole will be toxic."

Probably the best prediction he's ever made.

11 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I think Houston should do whatever it takes to try and get the Oilers name back.  I'll become a fan again upon the announcement.

^ this and make sure we put Earl Cambell, Warren Moon, Elven Bethea, Bruce Matthews, and Mike Munchak in the ring of honor. Oh and for a bonus can the McNair family sell the franchise to someone who is savvy about football and loves the Oilers?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Revisionist history.

I sure as hell don't recall that cheap ass fuck offering to pay for a third of anything.  I knew from the day that he started demanding a new stadium that the Oilers were gone.  Fuck him now and forever.