Decent eats along 281 or 67 into Dallas?

Wiler77

So I've talked myself into taking 71 to 281 to 67 into Dallas tomorrow (starting in Driftwood), and I'm looking for any recommendation on places to stop for food along the way.

I'm planning to leave at 9am, and since it's just me and my dog in the car, I'll be leaving at 9am.

What says Surly for good small town eats on that route?

Wenzel's Lone Star Meats in Hamilton looks like the new leader.  Google says 2 hr 18 minutes, which will be perfect as I'm planing to run in the morning and can eat a light breakfast to ensure maximum hunger.

And an added bonus of picking up some homemade jerky and pork rinds for the weekend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

going through stephenville is a bit of a dogleg.  that shit better be good. 

It's literally on the corner of 281 & 67, his designated route. 

Edited by RPM
Cactus beat me to it but, yeah.

6 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

67 and 281 run right through it. They literally intersect at Hard Eight. 

5 minutes ago, RPM said:

It's literally on the corner of 281 & 67, his designated route. 

yeah assclowns but I’m assuming he’s headed to dallas for the game?  in hico you take 220 to 67.  going through stephenville is way out of the way and nobody would ever do it if they were heading to dallas.  

so, like I said, that shit better be good. 

5 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Yea, I missed the part where I take 220 for 10 miles.  Futureman is living up to his name.

I'm not detouring to Stephenville.

pro tip, when you’re on 220 67 will come up fast and there’s no merge lane.   it’s dangerous if you’re not paying attention.  keep your head on a swivel. 

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah assclowns but I’m assuming he’s headed to dallas for the game?  in hico you take 220 to 67.  going through stephenville is way out of the way and nobody would ever do it if they were heading to dallas.  

so, like I said, that shit better be good. 

Nah, it's ok, but not worth it. Cutting over on 220 was not on my itinerary. I'd rather avoid Keene and Cleburne and head north to 20, but I'm not going to Dallas until I have to. 

The place in Hamilton is pretty good. I typically do the special or the Reuben. Neat looking courthouse but it’s incredibly ugly on the inside.

Along this route, Stephenville would be about a 45 minute detour in total.

Some people like Koffee Kup in Hico. I’m not one of those people.

Cleburne has good eats. Grumps for burgers is really good and La Cima is the best small town Mexican food I’ve ever had.

Drive safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Watch your speed going through Keene.

Big Cup is a pretty good cafe in Glen Rose.

Hammond's BBQ is ok too.

Hard Eight is in Stephenville.

So I’ve spent a lot of time in that area — parents have lived in Glen Rose for years, and grandparents did before that.

Big Cup is great for breakfast.  Diner/cafe fare, but in a good way, with Hugh portions.

I don’t know about other Har Eight locations, but the one in Stephenville is good.  Not worth a special road trip, but good if you are in the area.

Hammond’s owners have been very good to the community over the years.  Barbecue is average.

And as mentioned above, it real;lay doesn’t make sense not to take 220 out of Hico unless you really just want to waste time.

• Like 1