• Astros in 6
    • Astros in 5
    • Astros in 4
    • Yankees in 4
    • Yankees in 5
    • Yankees in 6
    • Yankees in 7

On 10/11/2019 at 12:12 AM, TexArcher said:

Yeah, the Achilles heel for the Yankee bullpen is all those walks.  We have some guys who will take them (Bregman, Brantley, Yordan) and some who will chase (Springer, Correa, sometimes Altuve).  

The point I was trying to make above is that a starter can get blown up for 3 runs in the first and the team can still win the game, especially if the other starter is suspect.  When a bullpen implodes, it's much harder to overcome.  And asking any bullpen to pitch 4 or 5 scoreless innings 4 times against this Astros lineup seems like a big ask.  And of course you've got to get the lead first.

This is gonna be a fun series.  There's a lot to talk about here.

I appreciate reading that kind of response. I don't disagree with any of that. I should have responded before game one started though. 

Boone, Larry Rothschild (The pitching coach) and Cashman are asking those four, and I should probably include Chad Green, to do something no bullpen has ever been asked to do. Ottavino and Britton especially will walk guys. 

Tonight they were the beneficiary of Tanaka pitching exactly like he has so far in his postseason career. I still believe this comes down to a first ballot hall of famer in Verlander and Cole, who is as electric on the mound as anyone in baseball, vs the Yankee bullpen. Houston will hit far better later on tonight in Game 2 and the Yanks will have to show they can man up against those two starters.

This stuff is what makes baseball so damn fun. I love October baseball and thoroughly enjoy a series like this one with so many stars playing in it. Getting on that 4 train and heading to the Bronx for a postseason game is so damn fun. The anticipation for the games reminds me of why I love this game so much. I realize that Astros fans probably feel the same about their home games as well. Just a great time of the year for those of us who love this sport. 

Edited by UpperWestside

3 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Hold up, Giancarlo is worse than Hou’s Corpus LF. Swear I read that somewhere. 

You know I am okay with Helo's pessimistic assessments. I hear this same stuff at the stadium whenever someone is in a slump. It's just frustrating watching your guy suck for long stretches at times. 

I also want to say that outside of Stanton that the one guy in this series who can beat the ever loving shit out of a baseball at a moment's notice is Yordan. I saw him do it in a game here this year. Among the young sluggers I have seen the last couple of years the two who most impressed me were Yordan and Soto from the Nats. Both are incredibly talented. 

On 10/10/2019 at 9:39 PM, Helobious said:

Picked the Yankees in 4. My dream ideal scenario is Yankees in 5, with lone loss being a perfect game by Cole. Really want it driven home to Cashman & the Steinbros how stupid it is to penny-pinch when you have more money than anyone. They need to get Cole in the offseason. 

This post aged well...

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 8:50 PM, henrygandorf said:

i appreciate the overview, i don't spend much time following the regular season or past seasons.

i would counter and say that's it's about whether the astros actually hit.  if we do, it's over in 5 or 6.

if the yankees depend on getting 4-5 innings out of their pen every game, it's not gonna end well for them.

prediction update - we still haven't hit at all.  1-19 with risp.

yet i just saw an entire segment on mlbn about the yankees and their "missed opportunities."

I only was able to see the first 4 innings. The Yanks wasted opportunities against a guy that will destroy you if you do. When they were down 2-0 against Cole I said it might as well be 10. That is just a bad man doing some me really filthy things with a baseball right now. Hope the Yanks offer him 40 million a year over 6 this off-season...lol. 

24 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I only was able to see the first 4 innings. The Yanks wasted opportunities against a guy that will destroy you if you do. When they were down 2-0 against Cole I said it might as well be 10. That is just a bad man doing some me really filthy things with a baseball right now. Hope the Yanks offer him 40 million a year over 6 this off-season...lol. 

He’d still say no.  Cole is headed west.  Plenty enough cash out there to match his personal preferences.   

13 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cole's heading to Anaheim to play with Mike Trout.  And I think it'll work out great for them, as long as Cole can start all 162 games.

I remember when they signed Pujols and CJ Wilson and we were certain that nobody could ever compete with them again.

Tomorrow should be wild. I will stick with my Yankees in six prediction because I won't flake and switch. I will say that this bomb cyclone delay absolutely benefits Houston. I told several Yankee fans today that Verlander getting an extra day is great for Houston and they all agreed. The Yanks are squarely behind the 8 ball right now. Cole and Verlander are just a damn two-headed monster. I have no idea how they beat the Astros right now. 

22 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cole's heading to Anaheim to play with Mike Trout.  And I think it'll work out great for them, as long as Cole can start all 162 games.

I work with several guys who are just huge baseball fans. None of them understand Trout staying with the Angels. I told them at a certain point in life it is just about what you feel comfortable in and what your family likes. Trout loves SoCal. His family loves it.

I mean if he has a choice between SoCal and Houston do you really expect him to choose his current team? It is a no-brainer to go to a much nicer locale with better weather and scenery. Which ves a damn about the world series when you have world class beaches and can still be in the emountains in two hours. Would any of us here actually turn down the SoCal lifestyle for Houston if given the chance? Cole is awesome and I hope he breaks the bank this off-season. 

Edited by UpperWestside

I work with several guys who are just huge baseball fans. None of them understand Trout staying with the Angels. I told them at a certain point in life it is just about what you feel comfortable in and what your family likes. Trout loves SoCal. His family loves it.
I mean if he has a choice between SoCal and Houston do you really expect him to choose his current team? It is a no-brainer to go to a much nicer locale with better weather and scenery. Which ves a damn about the world series when you have world class beaches and can still be in the emountains in two hours. Would any of us here actually turn down the SoCal lifestyle for Houston if given the chance? Cole is awesome and I hope he breaks the bank this off-season. 
Have you lived in SoCal?

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

If I could stay out of SoCal and make that much coin while legitimately competing for rings, I absolutely would. I wouldn't even need to work my way down the list to the part about having several months a year to do whatever I wanted with my off-season, wherever on earth I wanted to be while doing, instead of having to spend it in whichever city I played in. Dodging Cali's income tax (except for road games played there) would just be the cherry on the sundae. 

If I could stay out of SoCal and make that much coin while legitimately competing for rings, I absolutely would. I wouldn't even need to work my way down the list to the part about having several months a year to do whatever I wanted with my off-season, wherever on earth I wanted to be while doing, instead of having to spend it in whichever city I played in. Dodging Cali's income tax (except for road games played there) would just be the cherry on the sundae. 
This right here.

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Read more  

Have you lived in SoCal?

I have and still do.  Native Texan/Houstonian who lives in San Diego by choice.  But my decision would change if you forced me to live in or around LA.  

On 10/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, Helobious said:

I didn’t include defense because I haven’t watched the Astros enough to know, and defensive sabermetrics are pretty untrustworthy. If it was just a defensive contest of some sort, Didi would have an easy edge on Correa, and I’d take my money on Gleyber over Altuve. Don’t know much about Bregman’s defense but I know he’s a converted shortstop, I think Urshela could be a better defender than him. Point is it’s much easier to compare offense.

quoted for obvious reasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, Helobious said:

The bullpen is good, but nothing is promised with Chapman on the mound. He’s the furthest thing from a shutdown closer there is. But if he happens to be on, it’s lights out. Otto was also unimpressive in limited ALDS work, he needs to turn it around.

No hyperbole here, if I was Boone I’d strongly consider batting Stanton 9th or benching him entirely. He’s easily the worst hitter on the team (at the moment) & he has no hope of finding himself against Houston pitching. He’s just missed too much time this year. I’m fast approaching Jayson Nix-levels of hate for the dude. He draws walks from pitchers scared to challenge him due to his reputation, little do they know if they actually tried he’d be helpless. I don’t gamble, but $50 on Stanton not recording an extra base hit during the series would be free money. He fucking sucks /rant.

Oh one thing is promised. One thing, indeed.

Also, you talked a lot about how amazing Yankee Stadium is. Astros won 2 of 3 in Houston. They won 2 of three in New York. Is there somewhere else you'd like these two teams to play so the Astros can win 2 of 3 there, as well?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Picked the Yankees in 4. My dream ideal scenario is Yankees in 5, with lone loss being a perfect game by Cole. Really want it driven home to Cashman & the Steinbros how stupid it is to penny-pinch when you have more money than anyone. They need to get Cole in the offseason. 
Great call

I will take them in six games. I think the bullpen is the deciding factor in this series. The Yanks have one of the best ever assembled. The starters just need to go five and turn it over to Ottavino, Kahnle, Britton and Chapman. It is far easier said than done to pull that off, but I think that is the plan Boone has for this series. He does not have the horses in the starting rotation that Houston does. 

Great call

On 10/10/2019 at 6:39 PM, Helobious said:

green arrow laughing GIF

18 hours ago, Scraps said:

Great call

Awesome. I took a position and stuck to it. If anything you ought to be praising Helobious right now since he predicted what happened. The bullpen was completely overworked because of no starters giving them a regular string of quality starts. 

That pen was built to shutdown the final three innings. It never materialized. That's baseball. Again try and live a happier life than the one you currently have. Your needing to feed of off opposings fans grief is just silly, especially when the one you focus on saw the writing on the wall after game four.

I congratulated one of the Astros fans I met at the game today. He seemed like a good guy and I hope his guys get him title number two in team history. I really do not get your animosity, at all. I think if you actually sat down and watched a game with me or any other fan who makes it out to a bunch of games you might realize we are all basically the same folks.

Edited by UpperWestside

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

Helobious stated repeatedly that Chapman sucked.. Your post his humorous. Feel free to respond. 

my post was not based on anything you said or anything he said about chapman.  helobious has a history, and we're all very familiar with it.

judging from your posts, i would assume you know about as much about helobious as helobious knows about any mlb player not in the yankees starting lineup.

• Like 1