Non Netflix/Amazon Streaming Recommendations & Other Random Streaming Shit

CooterBrown

Catch all thread for all the 2nd and 3rd tier streaming options plus any other streaming nonsense.

IMDB.com now has free streaming movies and TV shows with some decent titles...Apocalypse Now, Zodiac, Snatch, etc.

A phone app I recently discovered is JustWatch. You can look up any TV show or movie and it'll show you where it's streaming, cost, and resolution. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Biggest Little Farm is now up on Hulu.  It is a documentary about a couple that moves from the city to the country to start an organic farm.  They have some help from a guy who knows how to transform soil, but they have to troubleshoot along the way to figure out how to use the forces of nature to benefit the farm.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Not me, I spend too much time watching documentaries on Hulu...

Gimmie some good ones. I've been thinking about canceling Hulu, but I don't need much of an excuse to keep it. Still haven't finished every season of It's Always Sunny, so I'm not canceling until that anyway. 

3 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Gimmie some good ones. I've been thinking about canceling Hulu, but I don't need much of an excuse to keep it. Still haven't finished every season of It's Always Sunny, so I'm not canceling until that anyway. 

Uh, try here:  https://www.ranker.com/list/best-documentaries-on-hulu/ranker-streaming?l=2180325&collectionId=1198

"Free Solo" - dude clubs El Capitain without a rope
"Too Funny to Fail" - Dana Carvey creates a comedy show but not an audience for said show
"Fyre Fraud" - dude convinces wealthy young people to come to his festival but it sucks

Hulu has tons and tons of SNL and every dang ole dang ole episode of King of the Hill ... which is kind of like a documentary for Texans.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:07 AM, Texas Jeff said:

The Biggest Little Farm is now up on Hulu.  It is a documentary about a couple that moves from the city to the country to start an organic farm.  They have some help from a guy who knows how to transform soil, but they have to troubleshoot along the way to figure out how to use the forces of nature to benefit the farm.

That’s a great little documentary.  I was cynical about latte-swigging hipsters going Green Acres but found myself rooting for them nonetheless.

• 4 weeks later...

“The Morning Show” on Apple TV is really hitting it’s stride. Very nuanced take on #MeToo that’s not just “All men suck and believe every woman no matter what “.

And Jennifer Anniston and Steve Carrell are fantastic.

Another new Apple TV show dropped it’s first three episodes this week - “Truth Be Told”.

Premise is a reporter (Octavia Spencer) who launched her career on the back of a murder case 20 years ago. She’s now a celebrity journalist doing podcasts and due to some new information has doubts that the person convicted is guilty. Aaron Paul plays the convicted murderer - he was 16 at the time of the murder and the journalist’s articles played a part in him being tried as an adult.

Story starts with her re-investigating the crime and doing a podcast about it. Has a really great supporting cast too.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:35 AM, TexMex Horn said:

Never mined, this went from a sci-fi/thriller to a promotion for underaged sex. I know some of you will watch, now, but I'm out

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Apollo 11 documentary on Hulu.  This was in IMAX theaters in 2019.  The director, Todd Miller, took footage you've seen and stuff you haven't and created a movie that follows the Apollo 11 mission.  There is no narrator, there are no interviews and there is not much explanation of what is going on, just 90 minutes of fantastic footage from the mission with audio from astronauts and mission control.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The Nice Guys is on HBO. Sleeper, really funny. Ryan Gosling, fat Russell Crowe, some pretty ladies and one of the best kid acting roles ever.

“Don’t say and stuff.”

Haha. I saw the name pop up on HBO and was thinking it was The Other Guys and said fuck that. Thanks for the heads up. 

• Like 1

The Saved by the Bell reboot trailer looks like it might actually be okay. Says the head writer is from 30 Rock and definitely had a more modern snarky comedy feel. I won't sign up for the service but might be interested if it is ever available elsewhere. Looks very different than the Full House reboot which was the same cheesy show just with them older.

Desperately looking for something to binge with my 12 year old. Thinking about jumping in to Lost. Any other suggestions? Looking for a drama series - we are already watching most of the comedy stuff like Schitt’s Creek, Brooklyn 99, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Desperately looking for something to binge with my 12 year old. Thinking about jumping in to Lost. Any other suggestions? Looking for a drama series - we are already watching most of the comedy stuff like Schitt’s Creek, Brooklyn 99, etc.

I think Lost would be a great one to get sucked into right now. Don't know how much a 12 year old would dig it, however.

Not that they wouldn't like it, I just don't know anything about kids.

Edited by BBQ2Bayou

15 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Battlestar Galactica, the 2004 series.   Great series to watch with the apocalypse and all    

If they like sci-fi, Star Trek: Deep Space 9 had a few pre-teens who grew into young adults over the course of the series.   

21 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Friday Night Lights

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 4:53 PM, wutang75 said:

Survivorman on hulu. He's done directors commentary in the last few weeks of his vintage episodes.

• Like 1

Full stage production of Phantom streaming free on YouTube to raise money for theatre workers affected by COVID-19:

I’ve never hated anything as much as I hated Phantom. Nope, I take that back. Pancreatitis was worse. That’s the only thing worse.

i mentioned it on the Netflix thread, but y'all may want to give a few PBS shows some time.  They're free to stream.  First is World on Fire, which is set at the beginning of WWII.  It's a BBC show picked up by Masterpiece Theater.  The big names are Helen Hunt and Sean Bean.  It's got a Downton Abbey vibe with some love story drama, but that's only a small part.  It's pretty violent, actually.  Lots of cold blooded killings.  Pretty gripping.  It's set in England, Poland, Germany, Northern France, and the high seas.  Three episodes are on PBS for streaming.

Then there is Baptiste, which is a Masterpiece Mystery show.  It's also an import.  It's a spinoff of The Missing, which is on Amazon Prime.  I've never seen that, but I want to go back and watch.  Baptiste is about a French detective working a case in Amsterdam.  Only 2 episodes in and it's bad ass.

A rec for Mrs. America on Hulu

Totally CR-topic so not gonna go into that. But the set design, music and costumes are very good. Acting is pretty good - Blanchette, Byrne, Martindale, Ullman, Paulson, Banks. 

First 3 are streaming. Then weekly on Wed