Non Netflix/Amazon Streaming Recommendations & Other Random Streaming Shit

CooterBrown

Just finished Pennyworth on Epix. It's about Alfred's life before he becomes the Wayne family butler. Stylistically it looks very cool and I enjoyed several of the performances in the show, but plot-wise it just meandered too much for me. There was a good five or six episode mini-series spread out into a ten episode arc. It went for shock value over substance at times. Not a terrible watch, but skip-able imo.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:15 PM, Deej said:

Beastie Boys Story on AppleTV+.

I had zero appreciation for the Beastie Boys growing up and never paid much attention to them. Classic rock was more my style. However, that was worth a watch. Led me down the road of Rolling Stones articles and other articles out there.

Interrogation on CBS All-Access is pretty good so far.  It is based on a real case, and the viewer is encouraged to watch episodes 2-9 in any order on the premise that a cold case investigator would chose his own path to investigate a crime.  

This been telling people about this one for a while.

We liked it and we liked the design of pick the order you wanna watch it.

Pati's Mexican Table on PBS. Wife and I caught an episode on the antenna a few nights ago, and it had a bunch of good stuff from Guanajuato on it. Her father is from Guanajuato, so we really enjoyed it. If you like cooking/traveling shows check it out. She also has a couple of cookbooks out, one of which we've ordered.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

“The Great” on Hulu is fantastic.

Done by one of the people from “The Favorite”. An insane and absurd and hilarious telling of the story of Catherine the Great.

Came here to post that The Great is really good. Highly recommended. Russia was/is a serious shit hole 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I watched Dublin Murders on Starz.  I don't know if it was a Starz original of if it came from BBC.  Either way, I didn't like it much.  Confusing as fuck for one thing.  If anyone watched it and understood it, please let me know.  The doppelganger thing makes no sense to me.  

On 4/13/2020 at 8:35 AM, 'stache said:

Futureman on Hulu is a fun watch. The third and final season went active last week. I binged and enjoyed it this weekend.

I just started this a few days ago. 

Entertaining and funny as shit. Halfway through the first season. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 3:40 PM, Go Pokes said:

I watched Dublin Murders on Starz.  I don't know if it was a Starz original of if it came from BBC.  Either way, I didn't like it much.  Confusing as fuck for one thing.  If anyone watched it and understood it, please let me know.  The doppelganger thing makes no sense to me.  

Nope. I really wanted to like it because I dig the 2 main actors, but it was all over the place and not terribly interesting.

Nope. I really wanted to like it because I dig the 2 main actors, but it was all over the place and not terribly interesting.

Did the doppelgänger thing make any sense to you? How is that possible without falling into some sci-fi/fantasy dimension?

On 5/19/2020 at 6:54 AM, SubliminalHorn said:

Came here to post that The Great is really good. Highly recommended. Russia was/is a serious shit hole 

We just wrapped it up.  It's, um... great.  Hoult is fantastic in it and like Zoe Kravitz in High Fidelity, I didn't know Elle Fanning had this in her.  She is very good as well.  

You have to ignore some completely inane historical inaccuracies that I don't think were completely necessary (Peter's parentage, for one).  But that's not the important part.  The anachronisms are great, including a Chernobyl reference that made me chuckle.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Pilot for Doom Patrol on HBO Max was decent. Will continue. 

Yeah need to check that out. 

Also anyone that had HBO Now has HBO Max after app update. Also make sure you select show ALL shows not just HBO shows to get full library 

Central Park starts tomorrow on Apple TV +

Everything about it screams a more musical version of Bob's Burgers. (No surprise, Bouchard is the creator and EP)

Kristen Bell
Tituss Burgess
Daveed Diggs
Josh Gad
Kathryn Hahn
Leslie Odom Jr.
Stanley Tucci

That's quite a cast for animation. 

RT at 100% / 7.8
Metacritic 79/100

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, YChang said:

If any of y’all are Bob’s Burger fan or fans of musicals.... Central Park is excellent. 

Hate the non-Netflix/Prime trend of dropping 2-3 and then going weekly. 

But I loved it 

It appears this has veered off into series on Hulu. I just discovered a free to the end user service called Kanopy. It’s not available to everyone, but it is to many public library users and students and faculty (or anyone with the right *.edu email address) at most larger universities.

Clark Howard’s site has a better description than I could provide:

https://clark.com/streaming-tv/kanopy-review-library-card-free-streaming/#Content

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 10:30 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Pati's Mexican Table on PBS. Wife and I caught an episode on the antenna a few nights ago, and it had a bunch of good stuff from Guanajuato on it. Her father is from Guanajuato, so we really enjoyed it. If you like cooking/traveling shows check it out. She also has a couple of cookbooks out, one of which we've ordered.

Can't explain it, but I have a thing for Pati. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in to say that Battlestar Galactica is on the Peacock app for free with adds. Never watched it before, but I've almost finished the miniseries and the first two seasons in the past couple of weeks. I seriously think that this is not just the best scifi series ever made, but the possibly the best series ever made, period.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On the Rocks (Rashida Jones, Bill Murray dir by Sophia Coppola) was entertaining and an easy 90 minute watch. Definitely some Lost in Translation vibes including at least one obvious callback. But mostly just a chance to see Murray in a tailor-made role for himself, and Rashida for the most part is an excellent counterpart.

Apple TV+

On 10/26/2020 at 11:06 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

David Byrne’s Utopia on HBO Max is great if you like him/The Talking Heads.  

Watched American Utopia last evening and give it two thumbs up.  From the first viewing of Stop Making Sense, I have hoped to see him and his friends again on stage and American Utopia did not disappoint.  Enjoyed some of the early Talking Heads numbers but especially appreciated the versatility and diversity of the band.

On the Rocks (Rashida Jones, Bill Murray dir by Sophia Coppola) was entertaining and an easy 90 minute watch. Definitely some Lost in Translation vibes including at least one obvious callback. But mostly just a chance to see Murray in a tailor-made role for himself, and Rashida for the most part is an excellent counterpart.
Apple TV+

Oof, this movie sucked to me... my wife liked it but it was a bore broken up by moments of Bill Murray getting to do his subtle humor style.

I told my wife this was Coppola slapping something together around Bill and Rashida. It lacked so much of lost in translation and was wayyy to on the nose with the storm brewing and raging fire on the beach scene...

My wife liked the movie a lot though.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone watching A Teacher on Hulu? It is a coming of age story about a young man who makes his dreams come true, by nailing his high school English teacher. A surface of the sun hot Kate Mara. 

Very inspirational and uplifting. I'm not ashamed to admit it got a little dusty in here for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Just checking in to say that Battlestar Galactica is on the Peacock app for free with adds. Never watched it before, but I've almost finished the miniseries and the first two seasons in the past couple of weeks. I seriously think that this is not just the best scifi series ever made, but the possibly the best series ever made, period.

d50884d6afd6c805ad2a4c1820dda6c5.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Britbox comments seeping into Amazon Prime thread.  If you are even a casual fan of Shakespeare and like British comedy, Upstart Crow is excellent.  Many references to the Bard's better known works, plus mocking our current societal conditions, some subtle, often not.

Edited by abuelo gringo

• 4 weeks later...

Any of y'all subscribe to CuriosityStream? The founder of the company is the guy who put Discovery Channel on the map. 

If you are a fan of science/nature/space/history documentaries AND you want access to good family-friendly documentaries that kids will also like, check it out. it's available on Amazon Prime and Roku for a free trial and I think it's like $5 a month for HD streaming.

• 1 month later...

Have had Apple TV free for a few months and loved the Morning Show and Ted Lasso. Now that we’ve finished binging those, I haven’t been able to find anything at all that looks interesting for shows. We aren’t animation fans.