Non Netflix/Amazon Streaming Recommendations & Other Random Streaming Shit

CooterBrown

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Have had Apple TV free for a few months and loved the Morning Show and Ted Lasso. Now that we’ve finished binging those, I haven’t been able to find anything at all that looks interesting for shows. We aren’t animation fans. 

For All Mankind?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2021 at 9:20 PM, Brothahorn said:

Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries. Carryover from the original series.

Fun show to watch with a female.

Main character is nice to look at.

Also recommend Agatha Raisin.

Both on Acorn TV.

Enjoyed Agatha Raisin.  No Offence is another good one. Joanna Scanlan is a very good comedic actress.

Now watching "New Zealand's Midsommer Murders" The Brokenwood Mysteries.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Have had Apple TV free for a few months and loved the Morning Show and Ted Lasso. Now that we’ve finished binging those, I haven’t been able to find anything at all that looks interesting for shows. We aren’t animation fans. 

Check out Mythic Quest dramedy set in a video game studio. Season 2 just started and it's even better so far. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, blacklab said:

Boss Level on hulu is a decent action flick, kept me entertained.

Kind of a groundhog day meets deadpool

Watched this last night on your rec and enjoyed.  But then I'm a sucker for any time loop movie, even if it seems a new one comes out every 6 months or so.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 10:45 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

“Some Kind of Heaven” on Hulu is solid.  Documentary about how fucked up The Villages in Florida is.

Just watched it and it's an excellent film. If you enjoy strange people living in a strange place, check it out. The filmmaker chose great people to film.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mythic Quest and For All Mankind - alternate history of the space race, where we head on to Mars.

Central Park, Physical, Schmigadoon, Morning Show plus the 2 above 

On 7/19/2021 at 11:32 PM, William Wallace said:

What are the best shows on ATV?  I've only watched Ted Lasso.  Morning Show has high ratings, I was thinking of checking that out.

when apple+ first came out, i was underwhelmed.  thought morning show was ok, but with that starpower it should've been better.  servant was meh.  truth be told i couldn't get into.  for all mankind was/is solid.  that shit with aquaman i did not watch.

but feels like since then, everything has been really strong.  lasso obviously.  mythic quest is great.  central park is in the middle of s2 and i like it a lot.  1971 is a musical doc that was great.  the wife and i love "trying" (s2 just concluded and i believe it's coming back).  home before dark is ok, more of a kids show, but my nephew and niece love it apparently.

here is 1971 if anyone hasn't heard of it:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 10:47 PM, YChang said:

Schmigadoon has been brilliant so far. It’s funny and some genuinely good songs. 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:48 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

Binged Ted Lasso and saw the trailers and have been watching this and also enjoy it-- surprisingly! 

On 7/19/2021 at 10:51 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

I’m not gonna lie…. Schmigadoon is fucking funny.  

On 7/19/2021 at 11:39 PM, Js1 said:

It was. Apple TV is just so much quality over quantity

Holy shit it's been fucking funny.  The whole Sound of Music song about the vagina had me cracking up, and that's not even the funniest stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 12:33 PM, abuelo gringo said:

We enjoyed Benidorm, Death in Paradise, and Silent Witness.  First was a crazy comedy, second was light mystery/cop show, third was more serious mystery show.

Thanks. I've put these on the watch list. I can rec back to you McDonald & Dodds, Mallorca Files and Vera. They're all light mystery/cop shows. Mallorca Files is a bit satiric on the genre. I didn't think I'd like Vera but it's well done and the lead actors are so good. McD and Dodds is new and there's only 5 eps so far. 

There's a ton of good shows on britbox and I'm nowhere near an anglophile. The software is clunky though.

7 hours ago, Chopper said:

Thanks. I've put these on the watch list. I can rec back to you McDonald & Dodds, Mallorca Files and Vera. They're all light mystery/cop shows. Mallorca Files is a bit satiric on the genre. I didn't think I'd like Vera but it's well done and the lead actors are so good. McD and Dodds is new and there's only 5 eps so far. 

There's a ton of good shows on britbox and I'm nowhere near an anglophile. The software is clunky though.

I like all you mention.  My wife didn't like McD & D.  She didn't like how the DI treated the DS.  I like just about anything with Jason Watkins.  He killed as Roger in Hold the Sunset.

Also love Brenda Blythen.  Interesting to see her early on, as a young attractive mother in Labors of Erica.  Not all that good a comedy and a horrid laugh track, but great to see the change as she aged.

Edited by abuelo gringo

On 9/7/2021 at 5:51 PM, abuelo gringo said:

Also love Brenda Blythen.  Interesting to see her early on, as a young attractive mother in Labors of Erica.  Not all that good a comedy and a horrid laugh track, but great to see the change as she aged.

She owns the role as Vera Stanhope, DCI. It's really amazing to see in a way that I'm not sure I fully understood what it means to own a role before seeing that.

• 2 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 3:11 PM, Chopper said:

Britbox has turned into our most frequently watched streaming option. I don't care much for Britain at all (lived there for 2 years) but now really enjoy their detective shows/murder mysteries.

Acorn also has a lot of good British/Aussie/NZ detective shows/murder mysteries.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...