Non Netflix/Amazon Streaming Recommendations & Other Random Streaming Shit

CooterBrown

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Acorn - Jack Irish, a pretty dark detective show based in Melbourne starring Guy Pearce, is excellent. 3 or 4 seasons aired.

Sundance (also on AMC+) - I enjoyed The Pact. It stars Laura Fraser (Lydia on BB/BCS). Whodunnit type of murder mystery, with gorgeous filming location and scenery around Cardiff. Good show to watch with the wife.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Acorn - Jack Irish, a pretty dark detective show based in Melbourne starring Guy Pearce, is excellent. 3 or 4 seasons aired.

Sundance (also on AMC+) - I enjoyed The Pact. It stars Laura Fraser (Lydia on BB/BCS). Whodunnit type of murder mystery, with gorgeous filming location and scenery around Cardiff. Good show to watch with the wife.

I didn't realize guy pierce could actually act.

20 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I didn't realize guy pierce could actually act.

It's not exactly a challenging role but he's very likeable as an attorney turned private detective, somewhat of a ladies' man, who enjoys engaging in scams at the local horse track with his mates while sleuthing for bad guys.

19 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It's not exactly a challenging role but he's very likeable as an attorney turned private detective, somewhat of a ladies' man, who enjoys engaging in scams at the local horse track with his mates while sleuthing for bad guys.

I enjoy it. My only other remembrance for him is the Count of Monte Cristo.

Also Murder, They Hope is funny. It's sort of like Shakespeare and Hathaway. There were 3 standalone movies before the series.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I enjoy it. My only other remembrance for him is the Count of Monte Cristo.

I believe he plays the brother in Mare of Easttown. Decent show, forgettable role. However, I was just reading he's starring alongside Damien Lewis in A Spy Among Friends, a mini-series based on the book of the same name about the Kim Philby spy saga in Britain. Supposedly will be released later this year and I'm already looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

Someone at Hulu should be fired for calling “Life and Beth” a “comedy drama”

This was very dark and not many funny moments. Surprisingly, I think Amy Schumer really crushed it. Michael Cera was a weak spot. He has no range outside of awkward doofus 

A VC guy who used to head Amazon Studios (I think), models data in a way that parses out "good", "outstanding" and "exceptional" from average to below/sucks from all streaming. Thought it was a neat look at face value-- haven't done any digging into the methodology:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch A Place to Call Home? On Acorn - focuses on a wealthy Australian family post-WW2. Not as glitzy as either of those, and I don't watch a lot of drama, but I find it much better than shows like The Crown or Bridgerton. It illustrates the social change of the time and some of the characters are very memorable and extremely well-developed. I think there's 6 seasons. It's definitely binge worthy. We're somewhere in the middle.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Ipcress File on Sundancenow was very enjoyable. Early 1960s Cold War spy story, based on Len Deighton's first novel. Was previously a film in the 1960s starring Michael Caine. This one is 7 episodes, each about an hour. Terrific acting. Co-star Lucy Boynton is impossibly gorgeous.

NINTCHDBPICT000714049704.jpg?w=960

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 4:36 PM, Chopper said:

I believe he plays the brother in Mare of Easttown. Decent show, forgettable role. However, I was just reading he's starring alongside Damien Lewis in A Spy Among Friends, a mini-series based on the book of the same name about the Kim Philby spy saga in Britain. Supposedly will be released later this year and I'm already looking forward to it.

Not the brother, the author/professor love interest of Mare.

I'm a fan of most of his work, mostly because of Lt. Edmund Exley.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...

I heartily recommend a BBC documentary called Trauma Zone about Russia from the fall of communism up until Putin. Interestingly done in that there is no narration or re-enactments. The whole story is told through hundreds of clips from all aspects of Russian life. You can stream all 7 episodes on YouTube. Fascinating stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Happy Valley on acorn is an excellent british cop show. S1 is on there now, S2 will be there in a couple weeks, and S3 probably next year. The icon in the app makes it look old and corny but it's far from that. Small town Britain gets overtaken by dark forces, so in that sense it's like Mare of Easttown.

No Offence on acorn is a police show based in Manchester. Fantastic. 3 seasons. Created by the same dude who created Shameless and it shares a lot of the same style.

The Sandbaggers on Britbox. Holy hell is this one good. I had no idea it existed until a friend mentioned it. A spy show (MI6 and the CIA) from the late 1970s during the Cold War. It's so good you won't care about the lack of a wide screen format after the first 20 minutes or so. Roy Marsden stars. Although the intrigue is mostly from conversations rather than action, so it may not be to everyone's taste.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:53 AM, Chopper said:

Happy Valley on acorn is an excellent british cop show. S1 is on there now, S2 will be there in a couple weeks, and S3 probably next year. The icon in the app makes it look old and corny but it's far from that. Small town Britain gets overtaken by dark forces, so in that sense it's like Mare of Easttown.

No Offence on acorn is a police show based in Manchester. Fantastic. 3 seasons. Created by the same dude who created Shameless and it shares a lot of the same style.

The Sandbaggers on Britbox. Holy hell is this one good. I had no idea it existed until a friend mentioned it. A spy show (MI6 and the CIA) from the late 1970s during the Cold War. It's so good you won't care about the lack of a wide screen format after the first 20 minutes or so. Roy Marsden stars. Although the intrigue is mostly from conversations rather than action, so it may not be to everyone's taste.

We loved both Happy Valley and  No Offense, but haven't seen Sandbaggers.  Joanna Scanlan is a hilarious comedic actress, too, especially when paired with Vicki Pepperdine and Jo Brand (Getting On).

We just finished the third season of Staged. I thought David Tennant was great.  Third season started off slow for me, but got better.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

We loved both Happy Valley and  No Offense, but haven't seen Sandbaggers.  Joanna Scanlan is a hilarious comedic actress, too, especially when paired with Vicki Pepperdine and Jo Brand (Getting On).

We just finished the third season of Staged. I thought David Tennant was great.  Third season started off slow for me, but got better.

Received an email this morning that s3 of Happy Valley will be on acorn soon too, maybe later this month or next. If you appreciate dry wit and spy intrigue though, Sandbaggers is for you. Good video quality despite the lack of 16:9. It fills up the screen well.

We also loved that lead actress on No Offence though tbh I wasn't expecting to like her much at first just based on looks and obnoxiousness. She's hilarious though. In some ways she's as unlikable as William H Macy in Shameless but has the redeemable qualities he lacks. 

So many great shows on Acorn...Mystery Road and the prequel, Origin (Australian) are so great. Brokenwood Mysteries, a more light-hearted NZ detective show. Holding, based on the Graham Norton novel, based on mysteries in a small Irish village. Too many shows to name!

Staged - I've watched the trailer and I don't know if that format is for me but I'll put it in the watch list on your rec.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

This doesn't seem good:

I was one of them.  i did not dislike the show, but other shiny things caught my eye.

On another topic, Does Paramount+ come free with Amazon Prime?  I wanted to try out the new Kiefer S.  show Rabbit Hole and was lamenting the need to subscribe to yet another service.  but saw that Paramount+ was active on my Amazon streaming UX.  Watched the first episode and it was pretty good.  It's basically a mash up of 24 and Person of Interest.  I loved both of those shows. 

i dont remember even getting a free trial for P+

• 3 weeks later...

Posted this on the Amazon Prime thread but putting it here as well because it’s an EPIX/MGM+ show.

Really enjoying “From” - kind of a “Lost” feel set in a small town. People mysteriously drive in to this town and cannot leave and then have to deal with monster zombie/vampires that come out at night. Pulls no punches. You can watch the first season on Prime, new episodes are on EPIX.