Music for web sites

jimmyjazz

Anyone have experience acquiring or licensing background music to play underneath a web site?  This would be for a company that is about to roll out a retail product.  Probably a 1-2 minute loop.  While I theoretically have the means to write and record such a track myself, I'm not interested for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the distraction.  

I don't have a feel for rates or contract structures.  I would think a one-time perpetual license would be cleanest, but I don't know if a "per play" license is an alternative, what the costs might be, how such a thing might be audited, etc.  

The style would be inoffensive, (almost surely) non-vocal music.  Maybe ambient, maybe jazz, maybe classical.  There is virtually zero chance that a popular song would be considered, for cost reasons as much as anything.

JJ... Trust me on this. It's career wheelhouse and I have some experience behind it. No auto play music. Think about how folks navigate the web these days. Phones, tablets, office browsing... These will be your most common interactions regardless of the content. That's 2019. No one wants to be blasted with an audio track as soon as your page loads. Roughly 70% of the time the first thing people are going to do is immediately go for the volume keys or look for an X to close the audio. 

Good luck man! Just my .02 with a little bit of insight behind it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

JJ... Trust me on this. It's career wheelhouse and I have some experience behind it. No auto play music. Think about how folks navigate the web these days. Phones, tablets, office browsing... These will be your most common interactions regardless of the content. That's 2019. No one wants to be blasted with an audio track as soon as your page loads. Roughly 70% of the time the first thing people are going to do is immediately go for the volume keys or look for an X to close the audio. 

I appreciate it.   So, let's say the site loads with an option for audio that defaults to "off".  Maybe a large right-arrow for sound.  Would it be possible to have that sound sync up with some of the animation that plays on the screen?  There are a few visual happenings which would ideally have synchronized audio bleeps or whatever (nothing that primitive).  Maybe the audio on/off logic could trigger the sound effects as well as a general audio bed that loops continuously?

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I appreciate it.   So, let's say the site loads with an option for audio that defaults to "off".  Maybe a large right-arrow for sound.  Would it be possible to have that sound sync up with some of the animation that plays on the screen?  There are a few visual happenings which would ideally have synchronized audio bleeps or whatever (nothing that primitive).  Maybe the audio on/off logic could trigger the sound effects as well as a general audio bed that loops continuously?

I would think that's possible but it's more of a developer question. 

On 10/12/2019 at 10:46 AM, KaiserSoze said:

Have the audio synched with your animation regardless, the control can just be whether or not the user hears it.

This is the correct answer, I think. Have your animation contain a speaker symbol with the slash thru it and a "press here to have audio accompaniment (recommended)" or something similar? As Baboontyme says, I believe then it's a developer issue to provide that element.

Y'all have convinced me, and the point was reinforced by my experience on an austin360 site when I went to read an article about ACL Festival shows.  There was faint background music playing and I couldn't figure out what it was.  The page was littered with smaller animation windows, some of which were playing, but none had sound.  Finally at the very top of the page I saw a button labeled "Turn Radio Off".  Damn that was annoying.