NLCS: Nationals vs Cardinals

Pimphand

The Cardinals are a decent team but they don't really belong here.  They've been absolutely atrocious at the plate this series and have a .185 xwoba  so far, which is worse than what hitters have done against Gerrit Cole (.238) this season.  

I’ve said that for a while now. Entering the postseason they had no starters batting over .300.

That isn’t going to get your far.

48 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

The Cardinals are a decent team but they don't really belong here.  They've been absolutely atrocious at the plate this series and have a .185 xwoba  so far, which is worse than what hitters have done against Gerrit Cole (.238) this season.  

You're absolutely correct.  The Braves should have been awarded the NLDS win and advanced because they had the higher xwoba.  Perhaps MLB will adopt that as a rule when they do the new collective bargaining agreement.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

When was the last time a team swept the LCS and won the World Series?

Edit: Since MLB made the LCS a 7 game series in 1985 the only team to sweep the LCS and win the World Series is the 1995 Atlanta Braves

heard on the radio that the team that made it to the World Series first the last 10 times has lost 9 of them.  I haven't checked to see if it's true.  Sounds horrific if so.  

32 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Yankees-Nats would be The Acela Series

Astros-Nats would be A Swamp vs The Swamp

Yankees would drive the prices through the roof--so many NY, NJ peeps all think they're going.  Just hoping both post season games I've attended will merit a bid at getting tickets.  Last nights game standing room only tix were $150 with fees.  

5 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

heard on the radio that the team that made it to the World Series first the last 10 times has lost 9 of them.  I haven't checked to see if it's true.  Sounds horrific if so.  

No idea about that stat but I do know that in 2018 the Dodgers qualified for the World Series last and lost so if would have to be the 9 preceding teams that went the other way which seems tough to believe the streak ran that long.

Edited by Pimphand

3 hours ago, Pimphand said:

No idea about that stat but I do know that in 2018 the Dodgers qualified for the World Series last and lost so if would have to be the 9 preceding teams that went the other way which seems tough to believe the streak ran that long.

It was 9 of 10 that swept going in to the world series have lost. So the question was whether the layoff actually benefitted. Clearly teams need to win because there's nothing that says the Astros don't win the next two or that the more games played the more likelihood of injuries. Whatever, people were calling in saying the nats should drop a game or two to keep sharp. Thought that was insane but I also understand that players get into a rhythm too and a layoff may disrupt it. 

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

You're absolutely correct.  The Braves should have been awarded the NLDS win and advanced because they had the higher xwoba.  Perhaps MLB will adopt that as a rule when they do the new collective bargaining agreement.  

You sound a little upset, Beau.  

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

It was 9 of 10 that swept going in to the world series have lost. So the question was whether the layoff actually benefitted. Clearly teams need to win because there's nothing that says the Astros don't win the next two or that the more games played the more likelihood of injuries. Whatever, people were calling in saying the nats should drop a game or two to keep sharp. Thought that was insane but I also understand that players get into a rhythm too and a layoff may disrupt it. 

That feels like a Pandora's Box no sane manager would want to open.  You coach your team to give consistent effort all season long and then "hey guys, let's take it easy tonight, we don't want too long a layoff"???  So it's 3-1, no big deal, "oh wait those guys have players too, now it's 3-2, shit, maybe we shouldn't have done that" . . . etc.

Of course, playoff-bound NFL teams have been known to tank Game 16, but it still feels counterproductive.

3 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Oh yeah I definitely buy the 9 of 10 who swept the LCS losing the World Series just based on the stats I looked at last night where since 1985 the only team to sweep the LCS and win the world series was the 1995 Atlanta Braves.