YESSS, FINALLY!!! - Masters of the Air - The 8th Air Force, Spielberg, Hanks, Goetzman (Crew behind Band of Brothers, Pacific)

atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

We saw him come back onto the base in Ep 6 or 7 I think. But he was shown to make it back safe

Yeah, they talked about how making it back out was a golden ticket home.  They couldn't afford to let them get shot down again and then be used by the Germans to uncover the network that got them out.  

This series reminded me of Christmas growing up; it took forever for Christmas to get here and, once here, it was gone too quickly.  You were happy with the toys that Santa brought but were always wanting more.  I do hope for more mega projects like this centered around WW2. Loved it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Yeah, they talked about how making it back out was a golden ticket home.  They couldn't afford to let them get shot down again and then be used by the Germans to uncover the network that got them out.  

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

This series reminded me of Christmas growing up; it took forever for Christmas to get here and, once here, it was gone too quickly.  You were happy with the toys that Santa brought but were always wanting more.  I do hope for more mega projects like this centered around WW2. Loved it.

I’d love a series about the resistance doing their thing 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Ahhh. That’s right.  Remember wishing they’d shown more of his journey back. 

The French resistance is an entirely separate series, which would be awesome. 

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I know this show is extremely accurate, and if everything just one thing in that last episode actually happened, HOLY FUCK

amazing series. Gave me even more appreciation for those men and people that lived during that time

FIFY.

They were young men (some just boys) and women doing extraodinary things.

22 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I know this show is extremely accurate, and if everything in that last episode actually happened, HOLY FUCK

amazing series. Gave me even more appreciation for those men and people that lived during that time

Watch the Bloody Hundredth companion documentary up on AppleTV.  They should have had some of those interviews book-ending the MoA shows.

And Harry Crosby in real life, albeit elderly, was exactly as I imagined him.

• Hook 'Em 2

Watched the finale last night and loved it. I see some of you commenting on an ep 7-8 slump which I didn’t notice. Pretty much enjoyed the entire series.

Rosie and Crosby were far more interesting to me than Buck and Bucky.

This makes me want to rewatch BoB which I normally do every ~2 years and it’s been about that long. Probably SPR as well.

America used to be so badass. wtf happened to us? If WW3 breaks out, will we be competent and united enough to take charge?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s 50/50 on us being the baddies this time

In fairness, the shit birds were flying in America then too. The nazis had a rally at MSG for chrissakes!  There were loads of folks that wanted "America first" and hated the idea of providing material support for allies defending their homeland.

It's pretty crazy how history sometimes rhymes, and sometimes repeats itself.

1. BOB

2. MOA

3. PAC

The Pacific is the least likable because the characters were mostly unlikeable (even if true). BOB & MOA had “heroes” in it, true believers, patriots, whatever you want to call them, while PAC focused on people that did not want to be there, people with doubt, hate, anxiety. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I know this show is extremely accurate, and if everything in that last episode actually happened, HOLY FUCK

Rosie actually got show down 2 different times and evaded capture to make it back to the 100th and keep flying.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Rosie actually got show down 2 different times and evaded capture to make it back to the 100th and keep flying.

The one they showed where he crashed in Russian held territory, or no man’s land as the Russians were taking it, didn’t involve an internal resistance to gain knowledge of. 

On 3/16/2024 at 8:16 PM, mininghorn88 said:

I have heard horror stories about donating to museums. Unless you have Eisenhower’s uniform or something like that it most likely will end up in the basement or some other storage area only to be sold at a later date by the museum.

American Pickers Handclap GIF by DefyTV

On 3/15/2024 at 6:49 PM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

They had to make those scenes heavy handed because a not-insignificant portion of Americans today think the nazis were the good guys.

Bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/17/2024 at 10:56 PM, wild_turkey said:

America used to be so badass. wtf happened to us? If WW3 breaks out, will we be competent and united enough to take charge?

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times

• Like 1

Quasi-related to MOTA, since the 918th is loosely based on the 100th, so I'll post here.  I rewatched "Twelve O'Clock High" after finishing MOTA, and it hit more than usual.  It's easily one of the greatest war films ever made and seems to get better with every viewing.

The full film is currently available on youtube.

• Hook 'Em 2