Hi-rise hotel under construction in New Orleans collapses

clapclapclap

52 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

engineering firm was Heaslip engineering.  They knew about the issue for a few months and were trying to fix it.  Steel was deflecting and gussets were being added.  Too late

How, with the systems in place today does a, what looks to be a fairly straight forward building fail like that ??  Assuming it was floor structure they're talking about.

17 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

How, with the systems in place today does a, what looks to be a fairly straight forward building fail like that ??  Assuming it was floor structure they're talking about.

firm was too small for this job and they only had a couple of PEs.  It's not going to be a surprise to anyone when it comes out that the developer had a personal relationship or something shady related to picking this engineering firm (I do not know this but am assuming because Nola).  The city is a fucking disaster for business because everyone is out to get theirs rather than focus on competency.    

12 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

firm was too small for this job and they only had a couple of PEs.  It's not going to be a surprise to anyone when it comes out that the developer had a personal relationship or something shady related to picking this engineering firm (I do not know this but am assuming because Nola).  The city is a fucking disaster for business because everyone is out to get theirs rather than focus on competency.    

God damn floor load tables aren't rocket science.  P.E. putting their ass on the line to save a developer dollars ?  That takes a special kind of stoopid.

A failure on many levels.  First with the design and the PE should know how basic this is in their industry.   Second the contractors themselves.  Submittals are submitted to detail the design that the PE put in place.  The steel manufacturer and erector and general contractor all should have gone over them and the error should have been found and fixed.  Those submittals should have also been rechecked by the PE and architect.  Clearly nobody took the time to check these properly.

This is a failure and there is a lot of blame to go around.

4 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

A failure on many levels.  First with the design and the PE should know how basic this is in their industry.   Second the contractors themselves.  Submittals are submitted to detail the design that the PE put in place.  The steel manufacturer and erector and general contractor all should have gone over them and the error should have been found and fixed.  Those submittals should have also been rechecked by the PE and architect.  Clearly nobody took the time to check these properly.

This is a failure and there is a lot of blame to go around.

PE of record will bear the brunt, but the architect will be sued as well. Somebody said the issue was already known, so it's gong to be a shit show with the finger pointing. 

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

NOLA ?  You're a licensed professional. Your stamp is on the drawings. It's your liability.  What's NOLA got to do with that ?  

Ummmm.....I'm kinda serious.  You may think NOLA is part of the United States.  You'd be wrong.

Just an example -- I have a cousin who's a Coast Guard officer.  His first posting was in NOLA.  At a meeting of the levee board (which the CG is invited to as a matter of courtesy), one of his eager-beaver peers had examined the design and construction documents for the levees.  He spotted....some issues.  So, at the meeting, he pipes up, and starts talking about how on several segments, the construction docs don't match the specs, and interestingly, it looks like all of those segments were built by the same contractor, who had the same last name as a levee board member back then......and he gets cut off by the levee board chair, who turns to the senior CG officer in the room and says "will you take your boy outside and tell him how things are done around here?"

My cousin served and was stationed all over, but he says that NOLA was his only third-world country posting.

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummmm.....I'm kinda serious.  You may think NOLA is part of the United States.  You'd be wrong.

Just an example -- I have a cousin who's a Coast Guard officer.  His first posting was in NOLA.  At a meeting of the levee board (which the CG is invited to as a matter of courtesy), one of his eager-beaver peers had examined the design and construction documents for the levees.  He spotted....some issues.  So, at the meeting, he pipes up, and starts talking about how on several segments, the construction docs don't match the specs, and interestingly, it looks like all of those segments were built by the same contractor, who had the same last name as a levee board member back then......and he gets cut off by the levee board chair, who turns to the senior CG officer in the room and says "will you take your boy outside and tell him how things are done around here?"

My cousin served and was stationed all over, but he says that NOLA was his only third-world country posting.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK........

22 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Anyone know who the General Contractor is?

http://www.citadelbuilders.com/

Thank you for visiting www.citadelbuilders.com. We appreciate the outpouring of support and concern over the tragic accident at our future Hard Rock Hotel site in New Orleans. We are shocked and saddened that there was loss of life, but we are equally grateful that the majority those injured are now resting comfortably at home with their families. We will continue to monitor the condition of those who remain under medical care.

At Citadel Builders, safety has always been and shall remain a priority for our employees and subcontractors. In the 16 years since we opened our doors, we have completed over $700 million in projects across Louisiana without any OSHA violations or Loss Time Accidents. We have also been a multi-year recipient of the Step Safety Award from the Louisiana Association of Builders and Contractors. We are proud of this impeccable record, and have worked hard to achieve it. While we don't yet know what caused the accident at the Hard Rock site, we would like our clients, friends, and the general public to rest assured that we are working with some of the finest engineering minds in the world and will get to the bottom of it. 

From our leadership and our employees, we thank you for your well wishes and ask that you keep the deceased and injured in your prayers. 

(Continue to full site)

I wonder if the engineer gets to keep the award?

looking at their site one of the PEs got his degree in 2010 so even if he was a go getter he probably only has had his stamp for 5 years maybe 6 and this project was well beyond the scope of the other projects on their site

I realize when you get the stamp you are suppose to be able to do the job, but I would not take a guy with a fresh PE and put him on the Burj Dubai

71498410-2102231713419855-31688600453161

I read the day after where the Hard rock came out with a very touching statement that let everyone know they had nothing at all to do with the design, construction, or engineering of the project and that all of that was handled by Kailas Companies (project delayed for a decade because Kailas went to jail for over billing a federal program in 2013)

looking at that shit they are probably going to hope they can get the last body out then do an emergency demolition blowing up the lower levels and just letting the top floor fall where it will.....I have no idea how they would do it any other way.....shit right now they are not even sure how to get the cranes down the engineers (that worked the World Trade Center) told them no go on using other cranes to take them down

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, hopkinsnhorns said:

My in-laws consider NOLA to be the equivalent of your average Caribbean city in terms of corruption.

Still cracks me up that so many people dust this off as hyperbole.

It is absolutely accurate.

Full on banana republic.

Still cracks me up that so many people dust this off as hyperbole.
It is absolutely accurate.
Full on banana republic.

Spot-on.
Have a cousin who was a Coast Guard officer, first duty station was NOLA. His stories would be shocking...if I didn’t already know how NOLA rolled. Meetings with public officials ended with things like “commander, will you take your boy outside and explain to him how things are done ‘round here?”
Drove by that hotel last month. Just fucking sad.
  • Like 1

When I lived in Mandeville, but had to cross into NOLA to make the Merrill/Prudential/Stiefel etc rounds in the CBD I'd always stop in Metairie at the Drive Through Daquiri joint before getting on the causeway to head home.  I dug their frozen Bellinis (yes, I know, chick stuff, but goddamnit they were good and strong).  

I went through there so regularly that I knew the gal at the register and she knew me.  I'd just hit the little speaker and say, "Hey Nicole, it's *#&%@!" and she'd have that dude waiting for me at the window.  

A lot of times I'd hit that place there was an NOPD in his cruiser waiting in line ahead of me.  I wondered for a long time if I was crazy to be buying an alcoholic beverage in my vehicle while at the same time filling up his rearview mirror.  Then I finally just asked Nicole, "Do y'all sell coffee or something here?"  She says, "No, why?" and I said, "Because that cop is always here getting something".  She smiles that, "Oh, bless your heart" smile that women do and replies, "Oh baby, he gets a margarita for his ride home every day.  You're in New Orleans heart."  

Being the alcoholic that I was my only thought at that point was, "I am never leaving this place."

But I was wrong, because a LOT of other things go along with all of that.

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Spot-on.
Have a cousin who was a Coast Guard officer, first duty station was NOLA. His stories would be shocking...if I didn’t already know how NOLA rolled. Meetings with public officials ended with things like “commander, will you take your boy outside and explain to him how things are done ‘round here?”
Drove by that hotel last month. Just fucking sad.

Let me guess - the levee contractor was related to a levee board member? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cajun said:

Those Mississippi barge pilot boat skippers rake it in and it's all hand-me-down.

Lot of folk want that gig, but unless you family, best runoft and check you crawdad traps.

The man who owns my company is also a riverboat pilot.  Second African American to ever be a riverboat pilot on the Mississippi River.

To say it's an exclusive club is an understatement.

17 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

The man who owns my company is also a riverboat pilot.  Second African American to ever be a riverboat pilot on the Mississippi River.

To say it's an exclusive club is an understatement.

My uncle used to do insurance defense for the riverboat pilots back in the 80's in NO.  Oh, the stories.

11 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

If that was my dad or son or brother's legs hanging over that ledge, I would be burning down City Hall.

If that was your dad or son etc....they'd have deported you already to keep you from making trouble.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/30/whistleblower-in-new-orleans-hotel-collapse-is-deported-to-honduras

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 12:03 AM, Cajun said:

Those Mississippi barge pilot boat skippers rake it in and it's all hand-me-down.

Lot of folk want that gig, but unless you family, best runoft and check you crawdad traps.

I worked out of Intercoastal City for a spell when I first got my AB license. You could get work there but advancement meant marrying someone.