The Texas Offense

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

I'm not prone to being overly emotional. But this game is over.

If they score here it is. This offense even on good days isn't likely to come back from 17 in the 4th. On this day they could have 4 more quarters and wouldn't get it. 

The offensive line is getting pushed around and confused by the okie pressure blitzes. The receivers aren't catching the ball and the short horizontal routes are being eaten up. I don't like the game plan much but honestly this is on the players. Fucking up way too much and not making plays. Well other than Roschon. 

What makes this so much worse is Hurts sucks just as bad as I thought he did. Everything he's done this season before this game was because they have one of the easiest schedules in the country and have played nothing but trash. This should be a 35-20 type score right now if the offense wasn't performing so horrifically. 

The usual tough guys will come out and claim a morale victory about how close it was even when we played badly. 

Herman was absolutely dominated from the word go. The offense game plan was shit. The defensive game plan was hope for a turnover. I’m so tired of Herman’s inability to fucking adapt. Fire some of your dogshit coaches. Teach your players how to tackle. Don’t let Duvernay return the KO three times in a row. 

^yes, we should have run the ball with our backs more.  Herman has a tendency to abandon the running game, just like Greg Davis did. 

Take our our shitty playcalling and add in some bad OL play, and you have today's offensive performance.  I think it's fixable though. 

The defense, on the other hand, is schematically unsound and our players have terrible fundamentals.  

Where’s the speed on this team? Why are we such size queens? What’s the point of recruiting all these 6’4”+ WR’s if we can’t take advantage?

what the hell happened to Ingram? Speaking of size, I was told gaining 20 pounds was going to make him more badass and stuff.

recruit some fucking speed for fuck sake.

Where’s the speed on this team? Why are we such size queens? What’s the point of recruiting all these 6’4”+ WR’s if we can’t take advantage?
what the hell happened to Ingram? Speaking of size, I was told gaining 20 pounds was going to make him more badass and stuff.
recruit some fucking speed for fuck sake.

Very few highly thrown balls. Where’s the Kerry and Keith Cash plays when you need them.

Mehringer whiffs on elite receiver recruiting but makes up for it by doing a mediocre job coaching who he has.  And anyone who is in any way involved with coaching special teams should go back to Baylor and steadfastly defend Art Briles on Twitter. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Rojo averaged over 5 YPC on runs even after removing the long 57 yarder.   Our passing game was neutered and Sam was getting blitzed by the pass rush, AND the score was never actually out of hand until they went up 14 at the very end.

How the fuck did we not run the ball more? Rojo had 8 carries and Ingram had 2.  Our offense is supposed to be a power spread option with play action passing.  WTF?

This is what I can't comprehend. We were getting them on their heels with up tempo running and inexplicably decided to go away from it. Didn't let Kirk Johnson take any carries and limited RoJo for no fucking reason. Tom was too busy out thinking himself and playing into OU's defensive game plan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The fact that Herm brought in Gerg fucking Davis to be an offensive consultant for the OU game should have told us all we needed to know about how this gameplan was gonna look.  I want to to believe in Tom, but sometimes he's just too mensa.  

Wow, that’s... something else. 

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The fact that Herm brought in Gerg fucking Davis to be an offensive consultant for the OU game should have told us all we needed to know about how this gameplan was gonna look.  I want to to believe in Tom, but sometimes he's just too mensa.  

Fuck Greg Davis and then Rutgers coach that came down to Austin before this game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

This is what I can't comprehend. We were getting them on their heels with up tempo running and inexplicably decided to go away from it. Didn't let Kirk Johnson take any carries and limited RoJo for no fucking reason. Tom was too busy out thinking himself and playing into OU's defensive game plan.

Shug sparked the team and the stadium with his play in the 3rd quarter, just like he did against LSU. Herman is a stubborn motherfucker. Shug is balling and then was put back on the shelf. We wonder where the speed on the field is and Kirk doesn't even get a look when he looked fast and explosive last week. Just mind boggling, and if Ingram starts next week against Kansas I'm gonna lose my shit. 

53 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Rojo averaged over 5 YPC on runs even after removing the long 57 yarder.   Our passing game was neutered and Sam was getting blitzed by the pass rush, AND the score was never actually out of hand until they went up 14 at the very end.

How the fuck did we not run the ball more? Rojo had 8 carries and Ingram had 2.  Our offense is supposed to be a power spread option with play action passing.  WTF?

Because we had so many negative plays which forces you to try and pick up chunk yardage just to get a new series.  Sacks, penalties, and ineffective run extension plays (screens, Qb draws, etc) meant we were lookin uphill most of the day.  Add terrible special teams play which led to horrible field position and it was a very challenging situation to get any running rhythm going.

Horrible offense.  It literally seemed like they knew what plays we were going to run. And I don't want to make any excuses for the general shittiness of the offense but goddam, there was pass interference on literally every play. Eagles trying to one hand a long pass because the defender is holding one arm, and no flag. All day long.  We sure as hell weren't doing it, cause we were never  close enough to the receiver.

Edited by Onetinsoldier

14 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

He’s calling plays maybe 1/3 of the time

Yea, he didn't have his playsheet out talking on the headset for most of the game. This felt like a classic Beck/Davis called game. 

Obviously that needs to change. We don't pay a "genius OC"  6 mil to manage timeouts.  

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TXs said:

Fucking trash playcalling, let's throw to the flats on 2 and long.

How about 3rd and ten on our own three late in the game - after our receiver dropped a potential 97 yard TD pass - we ran Sam off tackle to give the punter an extra two yards - knowing that OU would get the ball inside our fifty. We needed a ten yard completion on third - not that goddamn hard to do.

• Like 1