Arsenal FC

skipperj

we looked pretty good in our 2-0 win over Lazio. Still have some questions at the back, but the way we press when we lose possession, and the way we counter attack is still looking really nice. and guendouzi and nelson continue to perform, which is great. if even one of them can keep that going in the season that'll be awesome.

Fun game today. I watched some of it on my phone at a tap room in east Austin with a Leicester fan , a couple of Spurs fans, and several Arsenal fans.

I really like the additions to the team. Emery is going to favor some newer players. I’m okay with that. I have liked how the teams have played. Unbeaten in pre-season, which means nothing, but the competition has been big.

Austin Soccer Foundation had a footgolf tournament today, and there was a great turnout of Austin Gooners.

4b2760d31686c118f2808cae257e8971.jpg

Got to talk with a lot of fans of other teams as well. Austin has a really strong soccer community.

League play begins with City and Chelsea. It’s time to see what this team has.

• Like 1

These were my takeaways:

1.  It's going to be a few matches before we fully see the difference between Emery's and Wenger's systems.  

2.  It was a better loss to a clearly superior city team vs. how we lost to them last year.

3.  For every great pass Gouendouzi makes, there's two lapses in concentration.  He's enthusiastic, which is nice, but it will cost us goals in the process.

4. Torreira needs to play of ahead of Gouendouzi.

5. Lichsteiner looks like he still has a some gas in the tank and could be a shrewd piece of business done by Mslintat and co.

6. Never seen Cech so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.  How soon do we see Leno?

7. Mesut Ozil gonna Mesut Ozil.  You have to wonder if all the off the field stuff is getting to him.  Where is the player that had 19 Assists just a couple of years ago?

8. We really need to finish the chances we get when we're playing a team like city.  There were enough quality chances to have won or in the least tied that match. 

9. Mustafi didn't have any huge mental mistakes.  Perhaps having Sokartis and Lichsteiner playing with him makes him more focused.

10.  I'd like to see Emile Smith-Rowe get some run of minutes when Ramsey inevitably gets injured. 

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

These were my takeaways:

1.  It's going to be a few matches before we fully see the difference between Emery's and Wenger's systems.  

2.  It was a better loss to a clearly superior city team vs. how we lost to them last year.

3.  For every great pass Gouendouzi makes, there's two lapses in concentration.  He's enthusiastic, which is nice, but it will cost us goals in the process.

4. Torreira needs to play of ahead of Gouendouzi.

5. Lichsteiner looks like he still has a some gas in the tank and could be a shrewd piece of business done by Mslintat and co.

6. Never seen Cech so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.  How soon do we see Leno?

7. Mesut Ozil gonna Mesut Ozil.  You have to wonder if all the off the field stuff is getting to him.  Where is the player that had 19 Assists just a couple of years ago?

8. We really need to finish the chances we get when we're playing a team like city.  There were enough quality chances to have won or in the least tied that match. 

9. Mustafi didn't have any huge mental mistakes.  Perhaps having Sokartis and Lichsteiner playing with him makes him more focused.

10.  I'd like to see Emile Smith-Rowe get some run of minutes when Ramsey inevitably gets injured. 

Agree on most points.   However, to point #4, I thought Gouendouzi looked better than Xhaka.  I would not mind seeing him as an alternate to Xhaka in games where we need more of an athletic presence.  I think Torriera as a 6 and him as an 8 could be intriguing.  If he can get away from some of the mistakes, he has the tools to be really good. 

On #10, I don't think ESR is ready and we are not exactly lacking for attacking mids.  He had some serious bright spots in preseason, but would also disappear for large portions of the games. I think we will see him in meaningless cup games, but I will surprised if we see much more than that this year.  

agree re: Guendouzi > Xhaka. Torreira also does need to get more PT. I wouldn't mind those two guys getting a lot of run as they project to be two big players for us going forward. 

our situation at the back is not great. LB is obviously a big problem right now, and i don't believe we have a single keeper or center back who will be solid-great game in and game out. our midfield and attack will have to carry us this season.

also, i don't mind performances like yesterday's so long as we are scoring goals and getting 3 points from the 15 or so teams that are below us. Liverpool and City are just plain better than us, and Tottenham, Chelsea, and United should be teams we can split against. Other than that we should be taking 3 points from everyone else.

I’m about done with the Xhaka experience. So far he has a booming leg that will occasionally net the spectacular goal. Otherwise seems to be a big liability in the run of play both in terms of getting beat and in picking up bookings.

Changes and shit so he gets a little time but not much.

Özil needs to get his head together quickly or we are going to regret making him an even bigger piece.

I’m about done with the Xhaka experience. So far he has a booming leg that will occasionally net the spectacular goal. Otherwise seems to be a big liability in the run of play both in terms of getting beat and in picking up bookings.

Right on cue.