Arsenal FC

skipperj

It’s taken awhile to process this today.

I’ve been known to liken Wenger to Mack Brown, but Wenger has won way more than Mack ever did. Both of them should have bowed out years earlier, but Arsène won the FA Cup last year and 3 of the last 4. He recognized his time was up after finishing out of CL two years in a row. Whether he was gently pushed out or decided on his own, he did the right thing. Something Mack did not.

Wenger is the only manager I’ve known at Arsenal, like many of us. I became a fan of Arsenal in 2010 after the World Cup. I was looking for a team to follow, and knew about them from reading Fever Pitch years earlier. I asked for advice on Shaggy and watched some preseason games. Joined the Austin Gooners yahoo group to find out about watch parties.

It wasn’t until I went to Cuatros for the opening game of the 2010-11 season, Liverpool-Arsenal, that I knew my team for sure. I walked in expecting a few people to watch the game with, but it was packed. Arsenal and Liverpool people everywhere. A sea of red. It ended up 1-1, but I was hooked.

I met the leader of the Austin Gooners that day as he came around and said hello to new people. Neill.

Fast forward, I am now good friends with Neill. Have met him in California multiple times. A lot of my best friends I have met through Arsenal. I have been the Branch Manager of the Austin Gooners, and am on the board of Arsenal America. I have met great friends through my love of Arsenal. Local, national, and international. I woke up this morning to a barrage of texts and FB messenger notifications. Arsenal has become my family. I have a FB messenger chat with friends from Dallas, SA, Houston, El Paso and Austin that we talk daily about Arsenal stuff. I have a Slack group that I talk with people from LA, Boston, Madison, Chicago, and Milwaukee daily as well. When we do meetups in New Orleans or San Antonio or New York or wherever, it’s like meeting old friends.

I’m excited about the future. I’m scared of it as well.

There’s only one Arsène Wenger.

• Like 6

It’s taken awhile to process this today.

I’ve been known to liken Wenger to Mack Brown, but Wenger has won way more than Mack ever did. Both of them should have bowed out years earlier, but Arsène won the FA Cup last year and 3 of the last 4. He recognized his time was up after finishing out of CL two years in a row. Whether he was gently pushed out or decided on his own, he did the right thing. Something Mack did not.

Wenger is the only manager I’ve known at Arsenal, like many of us. I became a fan of Arsenal in 2010 after the World Cup. I was looking for a team to follow, and knew about them from reading Fever Pitch years earlier. I asked for advice on Shaggy and watched some preseason games. Joined the Austin Gooners yahoo group to find out about watch parties.

It wasn’t until I went to Cuatros for the opening game of the 2010-11 season, Liverpool-Arsenal, that I knew my team for sure. I walked in expecting a few people to watch the game with, but it was packed. Arsenal and Liverpool people everywhere. A sea of red. It ended up 1-1, but I was hooked.

I met the leader of the Austin Gooners that day as he came around and said hello to new people. Neill.

Fast forward, I am now good friends with Neill. Have met him in California multiple times. A lot of my best friends I have met through Arsenal. I have been the Branch Manager of the Austin Gooners, and am on the board of Arsenal America. I have met great friends through my love of Arsenal. Local, national, and international. I woke up this morning to a barrage of texts and FB messenger notifications. Arsenal has become my family. I have a FB messenger chat with friends from Dallas, SA, Houston, El Paso and Austin that we talk daily about Arsenal stuff. I have a Slack group that I talk with people from LA, Boston, Madison, Chicago, and Milwaukee daily as well. When we do meetups in New Orleans or San Antonio or New York or wherever, it’s like meeting old friends.

I’m excited about the future. I’m scared of it as well.

There’s only one Arsène Wenger.

Great post.

That Griezmann goal is a killer. By my estimation, that swung the tie from 77%-23% Arsenal, to about 57%-43% Atlético. If you win 1-0 and even score once in the road they have to score three times. That goal changed everything. Still, we played great and looked like we really cared. That was a good performance- nearly a great one.

1 hour ago, Jograves said:

Not sure if y'all saw this. Pretty scathing.

Read excerpts this morning and there's something I'd point out.  Ozil obviously doesnt have the defensive talent around him that he does when he plays in the national team.  Mustafi is on it in some sense but runs with the 3's.  Also, the other midfielders on the team make it damn near impossible to play the style Ozil likes to play.  I'm mean for fucks sake Xhaka has no business in the starting 11.  Ramsey is good, wilsher is okay, but neither of them possess the quality that Germany has.  

Ozil played numerous balls into the middle against atleti that damn near any striker with some sense of spatial awareness would have banged in, but Welbeck and Lacazette arent those guys.  It's glaringly obvious we need to gut the middle of the team.  Now that Kosc's is hurt and probably done, we need two CB's and a replacement for Xhaka, and if reports are correct, $50mm is going to get it done.  

This is why Wenger has to go. Not that Burnley is great or anything but they are still an EPL team. When nothing is on the line this team plays some beautiful soccer. Otherwise they play tight, the tactics are often not aligned to the match etc etc.

That said glad he is going out at The Emirates with a big win.

#merciArsene