Arsenal FC

skipperj

I haven’t heard of anyone who likes this hiring. He hangs his hat on winning the Europa League three times, but Barca and Madrid used to crush him, he was underwhelming and got sacked at PSG, and I read earlier that Sevilla didn’t win a single road game his last season there- I would rather have had Arteta. Emery’s track record just doesn’t inspire confidence.

I haven’t heard of anyone who likes this hiring. He hangs his hat on winning the Europa League three times, but Barca and Madrid used to crush him, he was underwhelming and got sacked at PSG, and I read earlier that Sevilla didn’t win a single road game his last season there- I would rather have had Arteta. Emery’s track record just doesn’t inspire confidence.

Arteta could be Dabo Swinney.

Emery could be Joey Freshwater.

Hope not though.

10 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I'm pretty meh too.  It's not like Arteta has a great coaching pedigree yet, but for some reason I was optimistic when it looked like he was the leading candidate. 

It’s not uncommon at all to see coaching changing like this where it goes south before it gets better (see: Texas football and hoops), and to me the idea of Arteta bucked the trends and shook that dynamic up a bit. After all Pep only had one year coaching Barcelona B before before taking over at The Nou Camp. And with the likes of Pep, Pochettino, and Wenger all backing Arteta there was reason for optimism. Emery is bland and uninspiring, and I have a hard time seeing him thriving here. Time will tell I guess.