Texas Special Teams

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That was the wildest stat they showed. -5 fucking return yards on punts.

teams rarely punt against us because they are generally driving down the field scoring touchdowns or they are driving far enough for the pooch kick or go for it on 4th down.  I'm just happy when we don't fumble.  we double catch punts and passes A LOT.  we hardly ever have a team backed up in their end trying to drive a punt deep where can return it.

Despite the OU debacle, still trying to run back punts / kick offs that should be let go, resulting in at least one possession starting on the 10.

has the shitty KU punter not kicked it out of bounds 2-3 times I am sure we would have tried it some more.

Edited by El Squared

The return teams are the worst I've ever seen at any level of football.  We fucking retired the kick return unit.  We don't even try to return it because someone decided its better to just take it at the 25 than fucking up a return.  And I agree that taking the ball at the 25 is better than getting stopped short of the 25 every return but it begs the question...why when you are more talented than almost every opponent can you not do something every other team can?  Like return a fucking kick?

The punt return unit though...holy shit.  Next level shitting the bed.  We're lucky to just field a goddamn punt without incident.  Negative net punt return yards through 8 games...how does this happen?  I mean has it ever happened?  I feel like I would have noticed this as a fan watching Texas for 40 years or so.

High school teams across the state have mastered these simple fundamental parts of football...but not Texas.  This reflects very poorly on Herman.  Whoever runs these units needs to be replaced this week.

• Like 1

The return teams are the worst I've ever seen at any level of football.  We fucking retired the kick return unit.  We don't even try to return it because someone decided its better to just take it at the 25 than fucking up a return.  And I agree that taking the ball at the 25 is better than getting stopped short of the 25 every return but it begs the question...why when you are more talented than almost every opponent can you not do something every other team can?  Like return a fucking kick?
The punt return unit though...holy shit.  Next level shitting the bed.  We're lucky to just field a goddamn punt without incident.  Negative net punt return yards through 8 games...how does this happen?  I mean has it ever happened?  I feel like I would have noticed this as a fan watching Texas for 40 years or so.
High school teams across the state have mastered these simple fundamental parts of football...but not Texas.  This reflects very poorly on Herman.  Whoever runs these units needs to be replaced this week.

The entire point of getting the ball at the 25 is to remove the kickoff return. That’s why they set it up that way. I’m fine with just letting every ball go for a touchback.

The punt return shit is beyond belief.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

The entire point of getting the ball at the 25 is to remove the kickoff return. That’s why they set it up that way. I’m fine with just letting every ball go for a touchback.

The punt return shit is beyond belief.

We could have improved the punt return numbers by literally doing nothing and just fair catching everything.  Yet it got worse. 

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

We could have improved the punt return numbers by literally doing nothing and just fair catching everything.  Yet it got worse. 

we've lost yardage trying to fair catch,  if we put no one back there  we would be at zero return yards instead of -12, that's how bad it is.

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Sure but teams still *do* return kick offs.  Just not us.  We were trying, and failing, to return kicks against as recently as the Kansas game. We were especially terrible at kick off returns vs OU.  AFAIK, TCU was the first time this year we decided to fair catch everything.

Sure but teams still *do* return kick offs.  Just not us.  We were trying, and failing, to return kicks against as recently as the Kansas game. We were especially terrible at kick off returns vs OU.  AFAIK, TCU was the first time this year we decided to fair catch everything.

Jamison got tackled at the 18 or 19 returning a kick off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Scipio Tex -- Tech Postmortem:  Special Teams   (Thanks @satyanash  )

As for special teams, well, don’t go grab a drink during a routine kick.

Special Teams

Well, they were exciting. Texas recovered an onside kick and had a punt block touchdown, but gave up their own punt block and onside recovery. Along with a lot more excitement that led to short Tech fields. So what happened? Cade Brewer didn’t perform his role as the personal protector at the point of contact on the Longhorn punt block. He has to make himself big and attack the incoming contact. Inside out.

D’shawn Jamison attempted to field a punt while turned SIDEWAYS, flubbed it, and Tech was gifted an easy 6. Obviously, Jamison is the most explosive returner Texas has, but that’s awful decision making and fundamentals. Jamison had a good kickoff return to the Texas 45 early in the game.

The onside kick was very well executed by Tech and they caught the Texas up men assuming instead of honoring their task of verifying the type of kick before retreating to set up blocks. Obviously, Tech saw something on film and exploited it. This is correctable. Tyler Owens made a terrific play on the punt block using his sprinter’s speed to block it right at the punter’s foot.

Jahdae Barron sealed the deal with the TD. Great play and Texas did a nice job creating Tyler’s free run. Great play all around. Dicker was perfect on the day, including a 43 yarder. Buj had a punt blocked and then shanked another under pressure. Punted better when protection cleaned up. Texas made some plays on special teams, but the effort was far too sloppy and they lost the overall battle in Lubbock. Pretty disappointing, but most of the errors are correctable by teaching or getting a new guy in there. I thought this unit would be a strength. They need to shape up quickly to have that prove out.