Herman's Worst Performance?

TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Go fuck yourself bitch

Sam played like shit today. When the pocket broke down he failed to throw it out of bounds and took sacks, and his accuracy was off. He had a shit game, that's a fact. It happens. He's not all-world. I think his rib injury is much worse than we were led to believe. 

I’m all for ball security but having our RB break a 50-60 yard run while carrying the ball up by his shoulder pads/helmet is slowing the man down.  We are the only team I have ever watched that when a skill player gets out in the open he is slowed down by running with the ball tucked like ours do.  I understand around the line of scrimmage maybe but watching Rojo try to score on that long run was brutal.  Let them fucking run.

• Like 1

I’ve always said Herman doesn’t worry me in big games against top 10 teams and that he has a history of losing to lesser teams and games like okie lite, Texas tech, Baylor, Maryland are the games he doesn’t show up for but today we looked like we were not prepared and we didn’t play with fire or intensity and are lucky it wasn’t 56-20.

I want to see how we respond to this loss and the hope to play ou again, I want to see Herman have these guys burning with a hot fire to trounce the rest of this schedule just to get to play ou again. If I see that I’ll believe we can win a title under Herman.

14 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

Maybe OU and LSU are really good this year.

OU's defensive scheme was well calibrated vs. UT's offensive scheme. They figured it out, making their players look super fast.  Coverage was very tight on Texas WRs. The big RoJo run caught them by surprise, deception, the best example. The vanilla UT offense was stymied all game.

OLines have blocking schemes. OU figured that out too and destroyed it.

Scipio, as usual, with a good analysis.  Always writes things I'm still thinking.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2019/10/12/20911515/final-oklahoma-34-texas-27-football-sooners-longhorns-cotton-bowl

At some point, you cannot continue to attribute the same errors to individual player mistakes, youth, and injury.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hornhorn said:

OU defense knew what play was coming on before Texas WR at times. It was insane to watch them swarm to the ball.

Yep.

Reminded me of the heady days when they'd predict GDGD's call with about 98% accuracy.

Very similar.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suppose you can argue that some of our WTF games in prior years were worse, but a pleasing aspect of Herman has been good preparation and solid gameplanning for bigtime opponents. 

This one fails big time. I was worried that trap games would remain a problem with Herman for a while.  Now I'm just worried.

It appears that comfort coach hiring is coming home to roost now that recruiting seems mostly on track.

Thoughts?

Pretty much nailed my thoughts. But I'll qualify those: Orlando and Hand are good.

For Orlando, there's only so much you can do when you lose the talent we've lost to graduation and injury over the past twelve months, and he's pulled enough rabbits out of his hat enough times for it not to be attributable to luck. I'll never be a big fan of the "run lotsa risks to make things happen" style of defense he runs, but it has worked really well for us so far despite the lack of experience and depth we're currently, short-term, suffering from.

As for Hand, our OL performance and recruiting have been a bright spot all last year and this one; I'm not going to let one bad game alter that perception.

But as for the rest: We should not have been caught with our pants down on offense. We should be self-scouting well enough to have already identified what OU was going to try on defense, and have our scheme designed so that we can adapt to it easily (or shore up the hole). The whole point of a good offensive scheme is that you always have an answer to anything a defense tries. Urban Meyer saying this is "classic Tom Herman" at the half isn't sour grapes on Meyer's part, either; he's not coaching at tOSU any more.

I'm please with what the defense was able to do, but what happened on offense was inexcusable with the talent and experience we have on offense. It's the coaching, the comfort hires. The only coaches who succeed with comfort hires are Belichick and Saban; everyone else has to hire the best available, the way Mack Brown did here and Coach O is doing at LSU.

Good is the enemy of great.

I won't say Herman should be fired just yet, but I expect to see changes in the staff in the off-season or earlier. CDC can and will give him an open checkbook; if he pulls a Bobby Jack Wright in the off-season, then my prediction that he's Mackovic Part II will have been fulfilled and we should dispose of him as soon as possible.

We at last have a real AD in place who we can trust to make good personnel decisions -- or to hire the people who can. I am not afraid of getting worse; I am afraid of being just good enough that we can't make the leap to great.

The toothless wonders across the Red River hired well once, and it was all they needed to do; not only did Stoops bring them success, but he was smart enough to find a successor who could run the ship just as well. If we have to keep trying to get the same results, then that's what we need to do.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Tom can stay.

But his entire staff needs to be replaced.

Tom hired that staff. The staff that needs to be replaced are here because he wanted them here.

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

His biggest mistake today is leaving Duvernay at KR. He’s killed us on every kickoff.

It doesn't matter who we put back there. Herman hasn't made ST coaching a priority, and it shows.

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Every loss is the end of the world to you people. Fire up the fire Tom Herman thread, maybe the next hypothetical coach can go undefeated and deserve us.

Good is the enemy of great. We should be great. Herman is good.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas won 48-45 in Oct 2018 Bitch!!!

It's 2019, bitch.

3 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

No giving Riley enough credit. He might be a Sooner but the guys is pretty fucking ridiculously good. Also, cock gobbling Stoops made an actual effort to leave OU in a good long term coaching spot, rather than an ego inflated, dizzy spell of coffee smile arrogance. 

They are ahead because the were unified and wanted to be. we have ground to make up

☝️Same thing I was sayin', but beat me by 3 hours.

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Riley has a sound offensive system, which Tom also needs. Injuries really fucked us this game, but we made some plays. Dunno what the deal with Sam is, other than his ribs are truly fucked. 

If Tom can figure out how to mimic Riley's system, we can be unstoppable. We have far better talent (recruiting-wise). He's stubborn, not stupid. 

The word you're looking for is "arrogant." Tom is arrogant.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

The Maryland losses were much worse than this.

The issue isn't so much "which loss was worse." It's that we've got 5 or 6 candidates for "worst loss" and we're only in Herman's third year.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Tom hired that staff. The staff that needs to be replaced are here because he wanted them here.

It doesn't matter who we put back there. Herman hasn't made ST coaching a priority, and it shows.

It's 2019, bitch.

The issue isn't so much "which loss was worse." It's that we've got 5 or 6 candidates for "worst loss" and we're only in Herman's third year.

Yep. And he's getting four, five, and probably six, so buckle up and enjoy.

12 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

I haven’t even read this thread. All I know is....there were a lot of dropped passes. Game changers really. Balls that shoulda been caught. (South Austin’s mom yadda yadda yadda.) I think the coaches put the players in position. Just didn’t execute. Negged to Bolivian.....

Um , no, our play calling was horribad.  Someone on The Horn postgame commented, "When did Greg Davis come back?".

Yep.

Our playcalling was predicted by Grinch and Co at about a 75% clip.  They knew EXACTLY what we were going to do on just about every down.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Scipio, as usual, with a good analysis.  Always writes things I'm still thinking.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2019/10/12/20911515/final-oklahoma-34-texas-27-football-sooners-longhorns-cotton-bowl

+1

And to answer the question, I thought our performance against Maryland twice was worse.

Edited by closetohumping

10 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Not defending Herman, but I just don't get the "arrogant" thing.

It's just not there.

He hasn't been openly arrogant in a while.  But I think people are attributing his stubbornness with regard to keeping failed and failing coaches as arrogance.

I haven’t even read this thread. All I know is....there were a lot of dropped passes. Game changers really. Balls that shoulda been caught. (South Austin’s mom yadda yadda yadda.) I think the coaches put the players in position. Just didn’t execute. Negged to Bolivian.....

There was that series late in the 3rd or early in the fourth where we started out inside our 10 no doubt due to kick return dumbassery and proceeded to false start ourselves back to like the two yard line. Sam hit CJ on the right side for a first down which he dropped. Then hit Eagles I think on the left which he too dropped. I think the last play was Sam running for 2 yards to give the punter a few more yards. Two easy catches both missed and Texas brings on the punt team to the sound of the announcers crowing about how awesome OU played on the series. Disgusting.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It’s a good read but I think that’s not Scipio Tex anymore writing in that account. Paul left that site and someone else ghost writes for that account. 

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s a good read but I think that’s not Scipio Tex anymore writing in that account. Paul left that site and someone else ghost writes for that account. 

I doubt it.  He does a weekly podcast with Kevin Dunn and on the podcast he frequently references his writeups from BC.  I doubt he would be carrying water for some ghost writer.  

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The obsession with OU holding on this site is borderline Aggy.  It goes back years.

If OU is rampantly holding, then hire a coach that teaches holding like OU does and quit whining about it year after year.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The obsession with OU holding on this site is borderline Aggy.  It goes back years.

If OU is rampantly holding, then hire a coach that teaches holding like OU does and quit whining about it year after year.

Not sure why you're quoting me/Scipio on this.  He has a really solid take.

As I wrote in my preview, Sooner holding on both sides of the ball is a feature, not a bug. It’s coached there. And it’s probably smart football. Either you coach through it with your players highlighting the holds and demanding the flag, mirror it on the other end with your team doing it to OU, or consider why you lack the ability to articulate it to the officials pregame and in-game enough to draw the calls. Those holds prevented several big plays in the Longhorn passing game, but they also led to some big drops in key moments that would have resulted in huge chunk gains. They got in our heads.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Everyone holds. Obsessing over it is laughable.   

But not everyone offers up pathetic pass protection and ridiculously bad open field tackling.  Probably want to spend a bit more time focusing on those two things, as they're the reason we lost the game.  

Our offense let the defense down today and I am pissed.  Congrats to OU.  I hope we get a chance to show we are better than what we showed today.  Tom, fucking embarrassing!  Fucking fix it.  It’s time to be pissed off for greatness.  I didn’t see greatness today on offense.  I saw the sorry defense try as hard as they could only for a superior unit on offense to totally fail them.  That is unacceptable!  The defense left it all on the field and the offense played like shit.  FIX IT NOW!  😡😡😡😡😡

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Our offense let the defense down today and I am pissed.  Congrats to OU.  I hope we get a chance to show we are better than what we showed today.  Tom, fucking embarrassing!  Fucking fix it.  It’s time to be pissed off for greatness.  I didn’t see greatness today on offense.  I saw the sorry defense try as hard as they could only for a superior unit on offense to totally fail them.  That is unacceptable!  The defense left it all on the field and the offense played like shit.  FIX IT NOW!  😡😡😡😡😡

Aside from the embarrassing missed tackles (mostly against Lamb), I feel the same way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Aside from the embarrassing missed tackles (mostly against Lamb), I feel the same way.

Exactly.  I can forgive them though.  They tried, but the o looked like it was sleepwalking through the game.  This sooner d is the same d that grinch denigrated all day everyday up to this point.  Tom got fucking pantsed by an amateur.  SAD!  

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

It's 2019, bitch.

This loss is not close to worst 5 losses you fucks. Becoming very concerned about this staff though.

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

Exactly.  I can forgive them though.  They tried, but the o looked like it was sleepwalking through the game.  This sooner d is the same d that grinch denigrated all day everyday up to this point.  Tom got fucking pantsed by an amateur.  SAD!  

That’s where I thought that running the ball with a heavy dose of RoJo and Kirk could have taken a lot of pressure off of Sam and given our offensive line some confidence.

Hey guys, in the presser, coach said it wasnt a failure yet, unless they let this loss linger and dont learn from it.
So we are okay.
No,but really kinda get the mack vibe when he added on to the linemans answer in the presser.and short answers to reporters seems cunty.
He comes of arrogant and fuck that if you lose.
I know hermans won a few big games and I want to like him, but im getting the ferentz, dantonio feeling cant turn the corner feeling a little bit.
Just me I guess but im an asshole so,who knows.

He better get this team back to toughness and not just talk that bullshit.

I think Herman is a good coach for UT. But he is arrogant. IMO, his bad coaching decisions contributed heavily to the LSU loss but no one held him accountable. It was all about Ingram's dropped pass, or Burrows being on fire. He's a huge improvement over Strong, and he's change the entitled culture that Mack cultivated. But he ain't perfect, and he needs to quit acting like he is. 

Let's see how we react to this loss. Hopefully we get the Sooners again. I never thought for one minute that we were a playoff team this year. A lot of teams would lose to both LSU and OU this year. We are a good team. But we are not an elite team.

• Like 1

All I know is if he keeps Mehringer, Washington and Orlando after this season then we might as well get used to being a 2-3 loss team per year, never reaching that elite level. 

Herman's arrogance and stubbornness combined with this staff is a recipe for more of what we saw yesterday. 

14 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’ve always said Herman doesn’t worry me in big games against top 10 teams and that he has a history of losing to lesser teams and games like okie lite, Texas tech, Baylor, Maryland are the games he doesn’t show up for but today we looked like we were not prepared and we didn’t play with fire or intensity and are lucky it wasn’t 56-20.

I want to see how we respond to this loss and the hope to play ou again, I want to see Herman have these guys burning with a hot fire to trounce the rest of this schedule just to get to play ou again. If I see that I’ll believe we can win a title under Herman.

It’ll be the MB era all over again, get a big 12 title once every decade, do decent in bowls and hope to get a once in a generation player to take us to the ship. 

26 minutes ago, HeyMcFly said:

If my aunt had wheels she’d be a bicycle. 

What?  If you'd have watched 10 minutes of the first half and not known the score you would have thought we were getting blown out of the stadium.  He's right. 

Read this:

a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.
"his weird mixed metaphors and non sequiturs"
Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1