Herman's Worst Performance?

TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

I’m still here mired in sooner shit talking. And you’re 100% spot on. Why does Texas always hire coaches who are so fucking slow to make big moves?

As I mentioned earlier, I think CDC is going to be proactive about nudging things to happen.

We had loyal, stubborn coaches and completely lackadaisical ADs previously.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

I’m still here mired in sooner shit talking. And you’re 100% spot on. Why does Texas always hire coaches who are so fucking slow to make big moves?

Becuase OU like Bama and OSU want to fucking win and fucking dominate in football. Texas is like UM and ND And as long as we are above average we are ok.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

No giving Riley enough credit. He might be a Sooner but the guys is pretty fucking ridiculously good. Also, cock gobbling Stoops made an actual effort to leave OU in a good long term coaching spot, rather than an ego inflated, dizzy spell of coffee smile arrogance. 

They are ahead because the were unified and wanted to be. we have ground to make up

• Like 4

There was definitely a stench of arrogance in the way we were prepared and we got punched in the mouth.  It was all phases.  We looked like we thought past results guaranteed future success and they don’t.  Lesson learned, maybe?   I can forgive occasionally not being ready to play. It happens even in rivalry games.  But there are repeating, yearly fundamental issues that need to be addressed.  The return game has been mostly shit.  The line does not handle stunts.  The receivers have a tough time getting separation.  We are vulnerable to losing the edge  on running plays.  The cornerbacks do not play physical on get off from the line and give up too much cushion.  These are things that are ongoing.  

• Like 3

Theory: Herman was a hard ass towards the team his first two years to get the stench of Charlie Strong out of the locker room and instill his culture into the team, but felt comfortable enough with the player leadership to let up a bit this past offseason. Only way I can explain how soft this team looks right now compared to the last two seasons. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

At this point I would say things are frustrating. Like ‘99, ‘00. We are stuck with a few “smallish” problems distracting from potential greatness. I remember (96-01) loving our teams but always dropping 4 games and 2 they shouldn’t. The magazine lines were all about how we were “stuck” at 9 wins. 

all I can say is that they had a shot at LSU and OU but the better team won. Fuck it. That’s were were at, let’s not be aggy about it. I felt shitty after Maryland last year and couldn’t believe how the guys closed out. 

The game I saw exposed our well known systemic problems against a superior team with talented individuals putting in exceptional performances. I don’t feel the team quit, it was out coached, however, the difference here is that the problems are not stagnant- there isnt the stench of sewage lingering, we are still in my fans mind a frustrating transition. No excuses. We lost, OU best us fair and square. But I don’t feel the hopeless incompetence that permeated the last 10 years.

now, I’m going to go get stoned. 

Agree with this summation. Structural issues in coaching and scheme need to get fixed. 

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

Theory: Herman was a hard ass towards the team his first two years to get the stench of Charlie Strong out of the locker room and instill his culture into the team, but felt comfortable enough with the player leadership to let up a bit this past offseason. Only way I can explain how soft this team looks right now compared to the last two seasons. 

This is Bullshit

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

OU defense knew what play was coming on before Texas WR at times. It was insane to watch them swarm to the ball.

That happened when they gave Mike Stoops the boot and hired a real DC.

One year turnaround. It can happen, coaching matters. There needs to be some serious evaluation of theses position coaches but doubt that will happen as usual. But fucking gooner doesn’t put up with that shit, think about that.

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
31 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:
There is no way that Tom Herman will ever out strategize Lincoln Riley. Never. Gonna. Happen. 
Tom Herman will be Lincoln Riley’s bitch as long as Lincoln Riley wants Tom Herman as his bitch. 

So let's money whip him before Jerry does.

Yeah? How so?

I will only make this one post as I know it will only get flamed.  I am not trolling. Just facts:

Sam Ehlinger is about as endearing a person and leader as you can be. Truly Colt-esque. I've done a total 180 on him since his Freshman year when I had no hope for him whatsoever and I will gladly eat my crow as far as any bashing I ever did of him - it wasn't fair then. I was the guy calling for Heard all that time. That's where I wasn't wrong, though.

As a thesis for my argument, here it goes: Sam Ehlinger is the reason we are even a 9-10 win team these past two years, this year included, and the next year too (as his starting position is completely unthreatened due to the fact he is pretty damn good and moreso the fact he is a clean cut good white dude), but more importantly, he's also the reason we aren't more than a 9-10 win team.

Jalen Hurts demonstrated why me calling for Heard was correct. You need a dynamic running QB to be in the National Championship hunt, period. If you don't have that, you need a guy like Lawrence or Burrow, who are Aaron Rodgers-esque with their accuracy, pocket awareness/decent mobility. Sam isn't quite that. :(

The reason it is so important was obvious today. Hurts was the difference. As Klatt and Gus Johnson pointed out, his threat as a runner on the play action reads is everything and disguises who the hell has the ball. It is a coach on the field. It is what VY posed. It is what Manziel posed. It is what Watson posed. This is what elite QB looks like and what we should have at UT QB, where it all started with the best of them all, VY.

Lamb was a beast, but he was mostly a beast because of Hurts threat in this manner. They weren't the only two beasts. Their RBs ate all day too. Again, all Hurts.

I love Sam Ehlinger and am not trying to bash him. These are just facts. QB is the most important position in all of sports, period. In football, after QB, a damn good defense comes next. Our defense is young and we played well today actually despite getting statistically shredded. Case in point. Now we know how USC felt when they tried to cover someone like VY.

That said, consider this the beginning of my call for R. Johnson to QB immediately. Won't happen of course. But we need to go ahead and set that standard if we want to fast track to the top of CFB.

#1 quality of a QB we look for should be, how are you when your house is on fire? Flat footed? Not very fast? Not very aware? Sorry, next.

Sam played tough as hell and played well overall of course. Admirably well. He's a warrior and you can't take that from him. But he also took a ton of sacks and waddled out on roll outs for 2 yard losses and gains and intentional groundings more than I can stand or our team can stand in the face of a truly good opponent.

Let the R. Johnson and whoever else is down the recruiting pipeline similar to him era begin ASAP. Flame away.

Edited by MichaelUngar#1fan
  • Fuck You 8

Riding DART back to downtown. This is almost as bad as our playcalling and shitty kickoff returns.  Riley just dragged his nuts across Hermans face. Out coached. We held them under 40. Enough to win. Ou was the aggressor.  I thought GD Greg Davis was calling the plays. Need to watch the tape, but CATCH THE FUCKING Ball. Tackling was shit. 

Sam did not have a great game, but he is not the reason we lost.

Poor protection with 9 sacks.

He had 4 dropped passes that would have been large gains.

He made a couple of poor decisions, held the ball too long, and underthrew some deep shots.

But his play is not in the top 5 for reasons we lost.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MichaelUngar#1fan said:

I will only make this one post as I know it will only get flamed.  I am not trolling. Just facts:

Sam Ehlinger is about as endearing a person and leader as you can be. Truly Colt-esque. I've done a total 180 on him since his Freshman year when I had no hope for him whatsoever and I will gladly eat my crow as far as any bashing I ever did of him - it wasn't fair then. I was the guy calling for Heard all that time. That's where I wasn't wrong, though.

As a thesis for my argument, here it goes: Sam Ehlinger is the reason we are even a 9-10 win team these past two years, this year included, and the next year too (as his starting position is completely unthreatened due to the fact he is pretty damn good and moreso the fact he is a clean cut good white dude), but more importantly, he's also the reason we aren't more than a 9-10 win team.

Jalen Hurts demonstrated why me calling for Heard was correct. You need a dynamic running QB to be in the National Championship hunt, period. If you don't have that, you need a guy like Lawrence or Burrow, who are Aaron Rodgers-esque with their accuracy, pocket awareness/decent mobility. Sam isn't quite that. :(

The reason it is so important was obvious today. Hurts was the difference. As Klatt and Gus Johnson pointed out, his threat as a runner on the play action reads is everything and disguises who the hell has the ball. It is a coach on the field. It is what VY posed. It is what Manziel posed. It is what Watson posed. This is what elite QB looks like and what we should have at UT QB, where it all started with the best of them all, VY.

Lamb was a beast, but he was mostly a beast because of Hurts threat in this manner. They weren't the only two beasts. Their RBs ate all day too. Again, all Hurts.

I love Sam Ehlinger and am not trying to bash him. These are just facts. QB is the most important position in all of sports, period. In football, after QB, a damn good defense comes next. Our defense is young and we played well today actually despite getting statistically shredded. Case in point. Now we know how USC felt when they tried to cover someone like VY.

That said, consider this the beginning of my call for R. Johnson to QB immediately. Won't happen of course. But we need to go ahead and set that standard if we want to fast track to the top of CFB.

#1 quality of a QB we look for should be, how are you when your house is on fire? Flat footed? Not very fast? Not very aware? Sorry, next.

Sam played tough as hell and played well overall of course. Admirably well. He's a warrior and you can't take that from him. But he also took a ton of sacks and waddled out on roll outs for 2 yard losses and gains and intentional groundings more than I can stand or our team can stand in the face of a truly good opponent.

Let the R. Johnson and whoever else is down the recruiting pipeline similar to him era begin ASAP. Flame away.

source.gif

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MichaelUngar#1fan said:

Tim Tebow disagrees with your post 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suppose you can argue that some of our WTF games in prior years were worse, but a pleasing aspect of Herman has been good preparation and solid gameplanning for bigtime opponents. 

This one fails big time. I was worried that trap games would remain a problem with Herman for a while.  Now I'm just worried.

It appears that comfort coach hiring is coming home to roost now that recruiting seems mostly on track.

Thoughts?

Yes. This was the worst. By far. For sure. 

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I thought he figured something out in the second half. Rojo was cooking. Then he disappeared. 

And this is really the issue.  We find something  that works and then we go back to to stuff that doesn’t.   I understand eventually an even mediocre defense will figure it out.   But why go back to the shit that doesn’t  work like those stupid quick passes that were classic Greg Davis era crap.  

Riley has a sound offensive system, which Tom also needs. Injuries really fucked us this game, but we made some plays. Dunno what the deal with Sam is, other than his ribs are truly fucked. 

If Tom can figure out how to mimic Riley's system, we can be unstoppable. We have far better talent (recruiting-wise). He's stubborn, not stupid. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As I mentioned earlier, I think CDC is going to be proactive about nudging things to happen.

We had loyal, stubborn coaches and completely lackadaisical ADs previously.

I think some of the youngsters on here have already forgotten about the later days of the Mack  and Deloss era.....   Btw how many times did we get brutally pounded by OU during the Mack era.   I recall some game where the loss margin was huge.  

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Riley has a sound offensive system, which Tom also needs. Injuries really fucked us this game, but we made some plays. Dunno what the deal with Sam is, other than his ribs are truly fucked. 

If Tom can figure out how to mimic Riley's system, we can be unstoppable. We have far better talent (recruiting-wise). He's stubborn, not stupid. 

Riley is going to have some major holes to fill next year.  And he’s going to have to win with an in house grown QB.   Unless I’m missing something,  you are not hearing of the potential fifth year or transfer QBs like you did this time last year.  Pretty much it was given Hurts was gone from Bama last fall about this time.  

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Riley is going to have some major holes to fill next year.  And he’s going to have to win with an in house grown QB.   Unless I’m missing something,  you are not hearing of the potential fifth year or transfer QBs like you did this time last year.  Pretty much it was given Hurts was gone from Bama last fall about this time.  

Dude, Riley has won the lottery 3 times, so I have ZERO doubts he'll find someone else. It's kinda his thing. We don't know the real Riley with his own recruiting, so IF he relies on his frosh, we should be fine. It's after Sam leaves that I worry about what we'll do. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MichaelUngar#1fan said:

Sam Ehlinger is the starter this year and next year. Get used to it.

I was having PTSD flashbacks to the GD Greg Davis "offense."

Are we ever going to attack a defense again? In spite of the pussy ass play calling, what happened to the o-line? Nine sacks? Against that defense? Where the fuck are your balls?

Roschon Johnson barely gets involved.Then averages 9 yards a touch. Punishes them.  And vanishes.

We shouldn't lose more than 1 more conference game this year and should face OU in the conference championship game. 

Beck and Orlando need to get the fuck out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

he replaced 4 olineman and didn't miss a beat, replacing players is not a problem they have and it fucking sucks

Yes. Without reading any single post in this thread.....I was at both Maryland games. This was absolutely the worst.

Unimaginable shittines from start to finish. Maybe two plays, back to back, that would have worked didn’t because of drops.

It didn’t help that “Special Needs Sam” showed up....but still. We sucked shit through a straw in every phase.

3 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I was having PTSD flashbacks to the GD Greg Davis "offense."

Are we ever going to attack a defense again? In spite of the pussy ass play calling, what happened to the o-line? Nine sacks? Against that defense? Where the fuck are your balls?

Roschon Johnson barely gets involved.Then averages 9 yards a touch. Punishes them.  And vanishes.

We shouldn't lose more than 1 more conference game this year and should face OU in the conference championship game. 

Beck and Orlando need to get the fuck out.

That's probably what's going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Yes. Without reading any single post in this thread.....I was at both Maryland games. This was absolutely the worst.

Unimaginable shittines from start to finish. Maybe two plays, back to back, that would have worked didn’t because of drops.

It didn’t help that “Special Needs Sam” showed up....but still. We sucked shit through a straw in every phase.

The Maryland games were worse. We were supposed to win those games. 

Dude, Riley has won the lottery 3 times, so I have ZERO doubts he'll find someone else. It's kinda his thing. We don't know the real Riley with his own recruiting, so IF he relies on his frosh, we should be fine. It's after Sam leaves that I worry about what we'll do. 

Is King from UH gonna transfer after redshirting this year? He’d be a prime candidate

3 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Is King from UH gonna transfer after redshirting this year? He’d be a prime candidate

I don't think so. He doesn't seem to have the throwing talent that Riley covets. I think that's more of the media hyping it up. Good player, but I doubt he ends up there. I could see WVU or something.

10 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

he replaced 4 olineman and didn't miss a beat, replacing players is not a problem they have and it fucking sucks

I agree.   I guess the missing the best thing is one thing I hate and dadgum envy about them.  Compared to Us were we seem to be deficient in one area or another going into each season.  They got the seem-less transition shit down to a science.