Win Out and Win the Big XII

Girdwood

We lost by one score each to the two most prolific offenses in college football. As shitty as we played, we held ou to their fewest points and yards this season, and held LSU to their second-lowest. Both of those teams are really fucking good this year -- front and center in the playoff and Heisman conversations. We are down several guys due to injury. Plus this game is played by 20-year olds who's motivation and effort often changes by the words of their "fat little girlfriends" and the press clippings they read. 

Anyone talking playoffs is dumber than a sack of hammers, but I think we have a really good shot at running the table and beating ou in the championship game. It will be interesting to see how Herman responds and keeps his players hungry. That will be his hardest coaching challenge to date. 

37 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

You realize that the media doesn’t impact who gets in the playoff, right?

Queue the “Oh you have no idea how things really work, do you?” nonsense...

37 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

You realize that the media doesn’t impact who gets in the playoff, right?

Queue the “Oh you have no idea how things really work, do you?” nonsense.....

29 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You’re joking right? The “committee” is biased. That’s just the way humans are. They’re affected by what they read and watch.

@Ignatius, you honestly believe the committee members nor the pollsters are not influenced by the talking heads on ESPN? C’mon, pull your head out.

And, no, this team should not be concerned about playoffs.

Edited by Longhorn Fever
Fixed quotes
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

We lost by one score each to the two most prolific offenses in college football. As shitty as we played, we held ou to their fewest points and yards this season, and held LSU to their second-lowest. Both of those teams are really fucking good this year -- front and center in the playoff and Heisman conversations.

To be fair, we are the only team with a pulse OU has played, and we’re one of two live teams LSU has played. I’d hope our defense, with our talent, could fare better than the other garbage OU and LSU have played. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Not defending the coaching staff, but when was the last time we had this many starters injured this early in a season?

Yeah there was weird shit on all three phases of the game, but people complaining about our talent level need to remember our roster still lacks both experience and depth in most positions and has been wracked by injuries.

I mean we still probably should be able to tackle somebody or find a way to not start on the five after a kickoff but, you know, there are still problems in our program beyond just gameday things that need to be addressed.

We lost by one score each to the two most prolific offenses in college football. As shitty as we played, we held ou to their fewest points and yards this season, and held LSU to their second-lowest. Both of those teams are really fucking good this year -- front and center in the playoff and Heisman conversations. We are down several guys due to injury. Plus this game is played by 20-year olds who's motivation and effort often changes by the words of their "fat little girlfriends" and the press clippings they read. 
Anyone talking playoffs is dumber than a sack of hammers, but I think we have a really good shot at running the table and beating ou in the championship game. It will be interesting to see how Herman responds and keeps his players hungry. That will be his hardest coaching challenge to date. 
I agree with what you're saying as fact, but I also feel like equating the ou game to the lsu game because both were one score losses is fools gold.

Lsu felt like a coin flip game they were lucky to win. Ou felt lucky we kept it within a score. We were dominated all game long, and when we finally cut their lead close towards the end, they exerted their will and scored in just a few running plays.

It definitely feels like we've regressed since lsu. Defense has injuries, I get that, but our offense that felt damn potent to start the year looks like gdgd is in the booth again. No urgency or creativity at all on Saturday.

Both of our losses are playoff caliber teams and "excusable" losses on paper if they're the only ones we end the season with. That's the big question to me. If we rally and roll through the rest of the big twelve with urgency and get to a rematch with ou, I'll still have confidence in what Herman is doing despite some blemishes. If we drop 1-2 more games in what is a pretty middling big twelve this year, it will feel like we're moving backwards in year three, which is pretty damn concerning as trends go.
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah there was weird shit on all three phases of the game, but people complaining about our talent level need to remember our roster still lacks both experience and depth in most positions and has been wracked by injuries.

I mean we still probably should be able to tackle somebody or find a way to not start on the five after a kickoff but, you know, there are still problems in our program beyond just gameday things that need to be addressed.

It’s the biggest problem with Todd’s scheme. It’s not a bad scheme, but it works with 200+ pound veteran DBs who can handle and deliver punishment. Our 18-19 year olds can get there but can’t consistently finish the play and are hurt trying to make 100 tackles a year. (You know, like LBs used to). 

the scheme has decimated our young secondary. Broken bones and separated shoulders out front should have told ya

11 hours ago, Longhorn Fever said:

@Ignatius, you honestly believe the committee members nor the pollsters are not influenced by the talking heads on ESPN? C’mon, pull your head out.

And, no, this team should not be concerned about playoffs.

Not to the extent that a 2-loss SEC team that doesn’t win the CCG game gets in above a 1-loss B12/B10 conference champ.

10 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Not defending the coaching staff, but when was the last time we had this many starters injured this early in a season?

It's a factor without a doubt.... BUT what gives on the lack of basic fundamentals that every four or five star athlete should have instilled in them such as tackling?   Really at this level it shouldn't have to be re taught.    But after watching the game Saturday, it's time to get out the Football 101 book and the tackling dummies and teach these guys who to tackle like they were middle school players again.  

52 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

[W]hat gives on the lack of basic fundamentals that every four or five star athlete should have instilled in them such as tackling?   Really at this level it shouldn't have to be re taught.

Are you suggesting that perhaps poor tackling is some kind of epidemic or something?

Cool. Party on.

FaroffNeedyFerret-size_restricted.gif

It's a factor without a doubt.... BUT what gives on the lack of basic fundamentals that every four or five star athlete should have instilled in them such as tackling?   Really at this level it shouldn't have to be re taught.    But after watching the game Saturday, it's time to get out the Football 101 book and the tackling dummies and teach these guys who to tackle like they were middle school players again.  

Maybe they were just to good in high school and didn’t need them.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:46 AM, 52-80 said:

This Team will not and should be in the playoffs.  They would get embarrassed.

They can, however, improve and win the conference.  And they can beat the likes of Georgia, Florida, Notre Dame, and smack the hell out of a Michigan.

That's what they are: a good team, that can hang with (but not beat) the elites

Oh fuck, we're a sometimes Wisconsin now?

We need to improve quite a bit between now and the big 12 champ game. We relied on timely fumbles by OU in the red zone just to stay in arms reach. Doubt that happens next time we play, we need to stop them much earlier in the drives without relying on the timely fumbles. Offense of course needs to get better as well, particularly our line. 

Feels like Herman was over confident in the offense.. figured that the personnel was so good that even the predictable plays would not get stopped a la the cowboys and it's 4 running plays in the mid 90's. Even though this is the best OL we have had since 2008, it's still a work in progress. Shack better have his ass on fire this week.. he needs to set the example as a Captain

On 10/12/2019 at 2:56 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

Mack never lost post ou losses and that’s why he won 10 games every year. I would have loved to see Mack have the shot to play ou a second time.

lets see if Herman gets this team focused and pissed off to get a rematch.

You're kind of leaving out the end of Mack's time in Austin, huh? Take 2010 where he lost to OU then every team after it not named Florida Atlantic or Nebraska. That would be ISU, BU, KSU, OSU, and aggy. Or take 2011 when he lost to OU then OSU, Mizzou, KSU, and BU.

Just rewatched 2nd half of blOU game... what a shitty performance.  But seeing that this Texas team never quit, and understanding that the Horns can play a hell of a lot better than that gave me more hope...

Beat Kansas & TCU.... then win the Damn off-week in practice and get some injured players to return. 

I'm in... let's win the next 6 games and play those gooners again for B12 Championship!!

Hook 'Em 🤘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Just rewatched 2nd half of blOU game... what a shitty performance.  But seeing that this Texas team never quit, and understanding that the Horns can play a hell of a lot better than that gave me more hope...

Beat Kansas & TCU.... then win the Damn off-week in practice and get some injured players to return. 

I'm in... let's win the next 6 games and play those gooners again for B12 Championship!!

Hook 'Em 🤘

That's the spirit!

giphy.gif

Either that, or...

tumblr_mhtk9vB83Q1r3d8abo1_r2_500.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2019 at 10:17 PM, gmr548 said:

I cannot believe there are people on here talking about a two-loss Texas making the playoff. That is aggy as fuck on so many levels.

The last thing UT needs with our 112th ranked defense is to be in the playoffs. There are only 18 teams in the FBS with shittier defenses. Obviously we are recruiting well to be able to have close losses to LSU and OU but our coaching is fairly poor right now and appears to be regressing.

• Like 1

The last thing UT needs with our 112th ranked defense is to be in the playoffs. There are only 18 teams in the FBS with shittier defenses. Obviously we are recruiting well to be able to have close losses to LSU and OU but our coaching is fairly poor right now and appears to be regressing.

That wasn’t a close loss to OU. That was an absolute embarrassing ass whipping that happened to wind up 7pts different.
  • Like 2

We may only lose one more and still make it to the CCG but I’m more concerned about Baylor, Tech, West Va, and KSU all hiring good head coaches and how they’d improve in coming years. Not to mention Lincoln, Mullet, Patterson, and Campbell. Les Miles probably won’t fix Kansas but my point is that we will have to keep recruiting top classes to prop up our overall weak coaching staff that will compete against possibly solid coaching staffs week in and week out.

Of course it’s early and the sample size in the Big 12 is small so far, but most of those newer coaches have had some past success. We’ll see how they do with recruiting. Maybe the NFL will poach Lincoln and Rhule. Our coaching staff better step up(or out, cough Meh, Warehime, etc)or we will pay in recruiting in a few years.

Yeah, this playoff talk is ridiculous. We aren't there yet. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State would be a tall order specifically with our defensive. I want to win out, win a NY6 bowl and set the table for 2020. We lose some Oline, Saftey and WRs, three areas we have depth in. We just need to get momentum going and set the bar to a B12 championship.

20 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

We may only lose one more and still make it to the CCG but I’m more concerned about Baylor, Tech, West Va, and KSU all hiring good head coaches and how they’d improve in coming years. Not to mention Lincoln, Mullet, Patterson, and Campbell. Les Miles probably won’t fix Kansas but my point is that we will have to keep recruiting top classes to prop up our overall weak coaching staff that will compete against possibly solid coaching staffs week in and week out.

Of course it’s early and the sample size in the Big 12 is small so far, but most of those newer coaches have had some past success. We’ll see how they do with recruiting. Maybe the NFL will poach Lincoln and Rhule. Our coaching staff better step up(or out, cough Meh, Warehime, etc)or we will pay in recruiting in a few years.

I"m gonna guess Rhule gets some offers good enough to make him leave Baylor at the end of the season.

16 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Rhule just signed a contract extension through 2027.

I understand that, and it means very little when someone else comes by with a better offer.  I'm sure there's a buy out.

Forgot which game I was watching and they were talking about Rhule and his contract extension is a just a little enticement to keep him there, but that the expectation is for him to be gone soon.  

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I understand that, and it means very little when someone else comes by with a better offer.  I'm sure there's a buy out.

Forgot which game I was watching and they were talking about Rhule and his contract extension is a just a little enticement to keep him there, but that the expectation is for him to be gone soon.  

Well, he did move his parents and in-laws to Waco. Maybe he actually likes the place, he says he does. Magnolia is opening a hotel and a coffee shop downtown so maybe he's a Chip fan. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

It depends on the contract.  There are plenty out there with buyouts that have some teeth.