Run Defense: Holding the edge

bschoolprof

More of the same this week with our edge scheme.  We have one edge defender (a 210 IB safety) on the strong side of the formation and 2 opposing blocking backs with outside leverage. Ideally, Foster needs to not give up the outside and force this back inside.  He gives up his outside shoulder and loses containment (a common theme this year that does not seem to be getting fixed, Todd). However, even if he plays this correctly, Williams likely just cuts this inside of him for a similar gain. Given this alignment, with only the QB as a backside threat, why wouldn't we just shift our backers to the strong side so this isn't a free 14 yards?

Edited by bschoolprof

its actually a hold on 49.  foster still doesn't make the play but it is a hold.

to answer your question if foster plays though the outside shoulder.  33 probably gets him for a 6 or 7 yard gain.  you have to make the running back slow down and cut.  Foster tries to make a play he can't make.

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

But even if our force player played this correctly, it seems like we are just ceding the offense 6-8 yards on similar runs from this alignment.  

agreed.  I hate the 3 tight i or whatever the fuck it is as a base defense, especially when you have one good LB and no DB's.  I'm just saying its not a 14 yard gain either way if Foster doesn't freelance