2020 Coaching Staff

Obviously there’s a lot of football left to be played, but I’m curious what others think our staff will look like next year. Not who you think should be fired, but what do you think Herman will do in the off-season.

He loves continuity (and himself)...will he make changes or trust the decisions he’s made and ride with his existing staff? Obviously the Oline took a huge step backwards today, but it would be impossible to say going out and getting Hand wasn’t a big coaching upgrade with that unit.

and despite injuries and just general fuckery, we were a TD away from 2 top 5 teams...we’re maybe kinda almost there...I don’t know.

What does he do?

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It really all depends on the final record. Many of us hope changes will occur but I can envision a couple different ways that doesn't happen. 

We’ve had a lot better teams that couldn’t win the conference. So for the sake of argument, let’s assume we don’t win the conference. 

what does he do?

You would like to think he would clean up the glaring weak spots (everyone knows them, no need beating that horse) but I could see him doubling down on "continuity" if that record doesn't look bad (i.e. last season) If we don't make the championship, he will feel the heat to make changes.

I would look to upgrade Warehime, Meh, Washington.  I think Beck is an outstanding recruiter and my immediate thought is to keep him.  Giles has proven himself/lucked into an outstanding DL class.  I believe he's a good coach.  This year bought him some time from me.

I would be fine finding an upgrade for Orlando.

If I could find away to get Samples and Beatty on staff I would be fucking ecstatic.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Obviously there’s a lot of football left to be played, but I’m curious what others think our staff will look like next year. Not who you think should be fired, but what do you think Herman will do in the off-season.

He loves continuity (and himself)...will he make changes or trust the decisions he’s made and ride with his existing staff? Obviously the Oline took a huge step backwards today, but it would be impossible to say going out and getting Hand wasn’t a big coaching upgrade with that unit.

and despite injuries and just general fuckery, we were a TD away from 2 top 5 teams...we’re maybe kinda almost there...I don’t know.

What does he do?

What makes you think he would fire any staff? Does he do that?

his job is not in jeopardy at this time as well, so there is no external pressure. Lincoln Riley apparently thinks and acts differently. 

Nothing else needs to be said. Action>>>words, etc.

• Like 1

Here's my prediction of the 2020 staff by position:

Spoiler

2019 Football Coaching Staff

Staff Directory Members By Category/Department
NAME TITLE EMAIL ADDRESS PHONE
Tom Herman Head Coach    
Tim Beck Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks    
Stan Drayton Associate Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator/Running Backs    
Oscar Giles Defensive Line    
Herb Hand Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line    
Corby Meekins Wide Receivers    
Drew Mehringer Pass Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers    
Craig Naivar Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties    
Todd Orlando Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers    
Derek Warehime Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends    
Jason Washington Recruiting Coordinator/Cornerbacks    
Yancy McKnight Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for Football

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It all depends on the finish. If they go 10-2 and beat OU in the Big 12 championship Mehringer and Warehime will be the only ones gone.

If they go 8-4 Orlando is probably gone.

I believe they should take a very serious look at bringing in an air raid OC. NC, LSU, OU, USC, Wash St, and other proof points show that the air raid offense produces more points and is harder to defend than the Urban Meyer spread. That would lead to dumping Beck.

These are big changes. I expect nothing to happen. And I’m not even sure big changes are a good idea. I’d rather see Orlando get smarter and limit the changes to an air raid OC and a new WR coach and new TE coach and that’s it.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It all depends on the finish. If they go 10-2 and beat OU in the Big 12 championship Mehringer and Warehime will be the only ones gone.

If they go 8-4 Orlando is probably gone.

I believe they should take a very serious look at bringing in an air raid OC. NC, LSU, OU, USC, Wash St, and other proof points show that the air raid offense produces more points and is harder to defend than the Urban Meyer spread. That would lead to dumping Beck.

These are big changes. I expect nothing to happen. And I’m not even sure big changes are a good idea. I’d rather see Orlando get smarter and limit the changes to an air raid OC and a new WR coach and new TE coach and that’s it.

Why is Tom so anti-air raid?  Is it because he thinks it's not complimentary?

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Why is Tom so anti-air raid?  Is it because he thinks it's not complimentary?

when Nick Saban asked you to come to his place and explain how your offense kicked the shit out of his defense with a 3rd string QB  for a National Championship you're probably convinced your offense works.

Herman’s offense isn’t the problem. The problem is he’s too arrogant to call the plays. 

Riley doesn’t seem to have this problem. 

(He even intimated as much in interviews. Then he had to to save his job. Now for some reason he stopped. No idea why)

Edited by Neonmoon

It works fine, but Herman has to let go of some preconceived notions and dogmas formed in conferences that don’t play super offense all the damn time. He’s lucky that some of the really devious bastards that used to run offenses up and down the field in the Bog XII have exited stage left for one reason or another. 

Out physicaling the other team is nice, but sometimes the other tean is happy to light up your defense while you try to show how manly your OL is running tight IZ into loaded fronts for little or no gain.

And this BS notion of keep away by slowing the pace of play is worthless when these Uber offenses don’t give a shit about time of possession.  It’s no coincidence that we started moving the ball a bit when we went up tempo and ditched tortoise mode. 

And we’ll know he’s learned his lesson when he only takes his foot off the neck of the opponent to switch feet. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I believe they should take a very serious look at bringing in an air raid OC. NC, LSU, OU, USC, Wash St, and other proof points show that the air raid offense produces more points and is harder to defend than the Urban Meyer spread. That would lead to dumping Beck

When's the last time any of those teams won a championship? 

• Like 3

-  Changes I'd like to see on offense:

Beck- Solely QB coach, dude can recruit

Fedora or Beaty - OC/WR coach .  Meh gets fired Meekins gets moved to a desk job

New RB coach.  Drayton isn't a rainmaker and our RBs every year the last 3 years look like shit.  Only ones that don't are the freshman.  Then when they spend a year with Drayton, they get worse.  Hire a rainmaker recruiter that can actually coach.  

New TE coach, Warehime is worthless.

Hand- OL coach

-  Changes I'd like to see on defense:

Switch to a 4 man front.  Easier to recruit good DL in Texas than good LBs.  

Fire Washington.  Bring in a CB coach that can teach these young DBs how to fucking tackle.

Keep Giles and Naviar

Bring additional defensive coach since rather than having 2 fucking WR coaches.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Herman’s offense isn’t the problem. The problem is he’s too arrogant to call the plays. 

(He even intimated as much in interviews. Then he had to to save his job. Now for some reason he stopped. No idea why)

It's because that would be admitting that hiring Beck was a mistake that we all called him out on.... he's too arrogant admit that. 

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Wait, so it's confirmed now that Beck is calling plays?  I thought it's been Tom since early last year.

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

No, he means that Tom’s hubris and hard headedness leads him to do stupid shit as a playcaller. 

No he’s actually said it on a few threads. He thinks Tom isn’t calling plays. I think he’s wrong. But once again we don’t even know who calls plays, which is awesome.

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Wait, so it's confirmed now that Beck is calling plays?  I thought it's been Tom since early last year.

Herman may be "calling" plays but it doesn't look like he is game planning at all, this offense feels like it's a pile of plays put together by each position coach who also sets up the personal packages and then Herman chooses the plays from that pile.

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No he’s actually said it on a few threads. He thinks Tom isn’t calling plays. I think he’s wrong. But once again we don’t even know who calls plays, which is awesome.

I didn’t see Tom with a call sheet for much of the game. Maybe I’m wrong, but it didn’t look like he was calling the plays. If he is, then that’s even more worrisome 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I thought Greg Davis was calling the plays judging by the sheer number of WR swing passes to nowhere

Read on IT that the staff thought ousux corners were not physical enough to handle the quick outs. That's sounds good if they felt that way but after the 3rd failed attempt you would think whoever the play caller was would adjust. Pathetic fucken play calling today.

I didn’t see Tom with a call sheet for much of the game. Maybe I’m wrong, but it didn’t look like he was calling the plays. If he is, then that’s even more worrisome 

Maybe I’m overthinking it but a lot of the offensive series felt like 2017 playcalling all over again. About the only thing we were missing was the play where Sam rolls out to his left and all the routes go to the opposite side of the field.