2020 Coaching Staff

49 minutes ago, Snacks said:

fuck this. every guy out there is on scholarship and practices.

All we needed to do to win was fucking tackle better. The shit you see us not doing is shit that that should be corrected to every swinging dock that walks through the tunnel.

i didnt agree with the defensive calls in game, but they were actually good enough to win. the execution was piss poor. the tackling was worse than what we had under Diaz. the defensive execution is regressing and is now worse than what we had under strong and bedford, imo.

an entire unit failing to tackle worrh a shit is coaching. we seems to emphasize physicality, which is great when coupled with technique. right now, our tackling technique is 7th grade football at best.

jesus christ we have 8 new starters on defense and half of them are hurt and you say defensive execution is regressing, well no fucking shit.

no excuse for shit tackling ever

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Snacks said:

we had a real Jimmies and Joes issue at the time. Especially on offense (no OL, no QB).

Strong and Bedford got the defensive guys to tackle, but they didn't get them in position very well to defend the spread. Now we dont tackle for shit and cant contain a QB for jack. terrible on 3rd downs...

I'm pissed.

’member when we were worried Bedford was going to get poached for an HC JOB?

I ‘member

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Tim Beck calls the plays.

He wasn't.  Tom has had play sheets and notes on him all the time, and is constantly referring to them like the play caller, and not the CEO.  Having said that, I don't recall seeing him in that mode on Saturday, and handing the keys back to Beck would both be a mistake and explain our very recent infatuation with the deep pass and reversion to a very basic rushing attack with little to no misdirection.

Texas has lost to a damn good LSU team and a damn good OU team.  Each team has a damn good Hesiman candidate. I think they're doing just fine.

I don’t think anyone should be unhappy about losing to those two teams. Everyone should know we aren’t quite to elite yet. The problem is how we look, not only against them but also against OSU and WVU. If there’s improvement from here on out, then they can actually achieve what they reasonably should this year, 10-2.

He wasn't.  Tom has had play sheets and notes on him all the time, and is constantly referring to them like the play caller, and not the CEO.  Having said that, I don't recall seeing him in that mode on Saturday, and handing the keys back to Beck would both be a mistake and explain our very recent infatuation with the deep pass and reversion to a very basic rushing attack with little to no misdirection.

Did he have playsheets in the West Virginia game?

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Sam wears a band with plays on it also it doesn't mean he calls them.  Its a chart for Tom to know what Beck is calling or for Tom to make a call but Tom isn't the primary.   

The question needs to be asked.

Who in the football defensive coaching world is in the market for a change or could be persuaded? Money shouldn’t be a object at all. And I’m talking about someone with a solid record. Not a
Manny Diaz type who had one or two good seasons and suddenly is in demand, but turns out to be a turd in a punch bowl

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Sam wears a band with plays on it also it doesn't mean he calls them.  Its a chart for Tom to know what Beck is calling or for Tom to make a call but Tom isn't the primary.   

No. I’ve seen Tom multiple times with play sheets, extensive notes and talking nonstop on the headset after each play making calls. And not like yesterday standing with arms crossed and occasionally referencing a play sheet. It’s easy to tell the difference. In addition he has continually, until yesterday, referenced himself as the playcaller. 

He may have surrendered that role to Beck for some reason, but that is a recent event. Tim Beck made it very evident to Tom that Herman needed to be making calls by the Texas Bowl in 2017. 

Tom as a CEO coach and cursory input into the offense is a sure way to end up at a cougar high level school in a few years. His first and best attribute is that of a play caller. 

There will not be any staff changes. Book it.

A couple defensive analysts is the best we can hope for.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Are the analysts even that much of an attribute? We added Fedora and Coleman as analysts and our offense has regressed throughout the season

• 2 weeks later...

We’ll see wholesale changes on this staff and it won’t matter. 

Tom Herman is fucked. I think he’s lost this program and doesn’t have any personal equity with the players to win their commitment back.

Shit is about to get ugly and the upcoming coaching searches are going to be a shitshow.

• Like 3

Herman probably won't make any changes to his staff before the season is over, but here's some ideas he might consider...

Bye Week Changes for Herman 

• Promote Andre Coleman to interim WR coach
  • Fire 2 Assistants -- Mehringer & either Meekins or Warehime (one that stays coaches TE's)
  • Ask Huff to be an interim DB coach
  • Have Naivar provide more help for Orlando and other defensive coaches

Edited by LTtxfan

Will changing the staff even matter?  The offense is Herman's baby and it's not very good.  I have little faith that getting a new DC and changing out some position coaches is really going to do anything.  Now (season 3) is not the time for our boss to try to start figuring out what it maybe takes to win.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I sense a lot of Mackovic parallels.  He is a good play caller, wins some big games, and likes to be the smart guy in the room.  That’s nice and all, but fielding a crap defense, losing a few you shouldn’t every year, and generally being an arrogant guy the players and boosters don’t really like is a recipe to get run out of town on a rail. 

I am no longer convinced of this.  He used to be. 

But our playcalling this year has been terrible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We’ll see wholesale changes on this staff and it won’t matter. 

Tom Herman is fucked. I think he’s lost this program and doesn’t have any personal equity with the players to win their commitment back.

Shit is about to get ugly and the upcoming coaching searches are going to be a shitshow.

Money whip Chris Klieman.  7 total NCs in 8 seasons, 4 as head coach in 5 years   

Matt Rhule is proving to be a pretty damn good coach too, but he will be in the NFL in a few years.  

Looks like Herman might just be the worst coach in the B12. 

11 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Money whip Chris Klieman.  7 total NCs in 8 seasons, 4 as head coach in 5 years .   Matt Rhule is proving to be a pretty damn good coach too, but he will be in the NFL in a few years.    Looks like Herman might just be the worst coach in the B12. 

Herman's ass is on the line... he better bring this Team together and figure shit out.

Belichick and Dabo had struggles too...

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Herman's ass is on the line... he better bring this Team together and figure shit out.

Belichick and Dabo had struggles too...

He's tried to bring up Dabo a lot in order to reset expectations, it will not work here. He's not getting 7 years to figure it out and were not buying the best DL in the country to prove his genius. The KSU game will be very interesting for Coach, people were very close to losing their shit vs. Kansas. If KSU comes in and beats us in, he's going to hear it from the fans. It'll be ugly IMO.

11 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Money whip Chris Klieman.  7 total NCs in 8 seasons, 4 as head coach in 5 years   

Matt Rhule is proving to be a pretty damn good coach too, but he will be in the NFL in a few years.  

Looks like Herman might just be the worst coach in the B12. 

We aren’t getting a new head coach in the offseason. We’re getting a slew of assistant mercenaries in a Hail Mary attempt to save our head coach’s job. But that head coach only hires yes men and he’s trying to hire with everyone knowing he’s on the hot seat.

we’re fucked, again. 

25 minutes ago, Goodman said:

He's tried to bring up Dabo a lot in order to reset expectations, it will not work here. He's not getting 7 years to figure it out and were not buying the best DL in the country to prove his genius. The KSU game will be very interesting for Coach, people were very close to losing their shit vs. Kansas. If KSU comes in and beats us in, he's going to hear it from the fans. It'll be ugly IMO.

Agree Herman doesn't have 7yrs, but Mensa does have one do-over at Texas as far as assistants go.

Dabo after a rocky start at Clemson,  hired Chad Morris (OC) and Brent Venables (DC) and it turned the Clemson football program into a winner again.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

agree, we are not Clemson.   so Kansas and TCU wasn't enough? fuck that shit.  he's a fraud as is his flunky G5 DC.   he's getting out coached everywhere.  he's just not getting blown out...yet.

59 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi...  2019 Season Asst. Contracts

Orlando.  $1.7mill.  (2yrs left??)

Beck.        $790k    (1yr left??)

Hand         $650k.   (2yrs left??)

Hahahaha we pay Warehime almost $400,000.00 to clog toilets on recruiting trips. I think I knew that, but I blocked it out to keep sane.

For $390,000.00, I will happily quit my job and live on a diet of unripe bananas, cheese, and processed grains.

Edit: And opiates. Can't forget the opiates. That's the best one.

Edited by campcrunk

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi...  2019 Season Asst. Contracts

Orlando.  $1.7mill.  (2yrs left??)

Beck.        $790k    (1yr left??)

Hand         $650k.   (2yrs left??)

So if Hand is retained, the only assistant buyout appears to be Orlando's...

Random observations:

1) going back to last year, our offense at times looks extremely efficient and well prepared, and at others completely out of sorts with no creativity at all (the run it for no gain or throw a deep prayer offense we've seen show up in a few games now). We know Tom and Tim have both been credited as play callers at different points in time, and we know they have very different track records as play callers. I wonder if this is related? I could certainty see Tom spending less time with the offensive game plan while the defense and special teams have been imploding. Then again, if he's investing time trying to help fix those things, you sure can't tell from the results.

2) Herman's extension that just went through isn't popular here for obvious reasons, but should help if he's hiring assistants this off-season. Pretty hard to convince anyone worth a damn to come join a coach with a downward trend in year three of a four year contract.

I refuse to believe anything will change. Once again we have a staff that no one wants to hire from so there is zero chance of voluntary attrition happening. 

Herman doesn’t strike me as willing to bow to external pressure as he believes he’s right. So I don’t see him making change as to do so proves he’s made an error. 

Unless season ticket renewals drop (this year’s sales were at all time hIgh) or the SEZ expansion gets limited club seat interest I unfortunately see no changes being made. 

would love to be proven wrong 

55 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I refuse to believe anything will change. Once again we have a staff that no one wants to hire from so there is zero chance of voluntary attrition happening.   Herman doesn’t strike me as willing to bow to external pressure as he believes he’s right. So I don’t see him making change as to do so proves he’s made an error.  Unless season ticket renewals drop (this year’s sales were at all time hIgh) or the SEZ expansion gets limited club seat interest I unfortunately see no changes being made. would love to be proven wrong 

Except for Orlando and Hand, all of Texas assistant coaches contracts expire in early March 2020. 

After shit show vs Kansas & TCU, it will be really surprising to see all the Texas assistant coaches return for 2020 season...

• Like 1

If Bijan bolts which scares me cut him.  Sonnie cumbie is on the hot seat, he was a decent OC right?  im willing to overpay for a known name DC with a track record.  HC is easy, hire your staff to do the work for you, at this point we are wasting what talent we do have left, but then again seeing this "talent" unable to do basic pop warner level fundamentals like turn your head around, raise your hands, catch the ball with your hands (epps)  im starting to think even recruiting services don't know what the fuck they are talking about 

I think the team gave up on the season and thus the staff in the last three minutes of the game yesterday.   I wouldn’t be shocked if we lose out.   I really hope the national sports media just trashes us to hell and back this week because I don’t know if this  is what it will take to wake up the whole bunch down there.  The upside is Tom won’t be given the benefit of the doubt by the same sports media that gave Charlie as pass even up to and in some cases after the KU loss.  At least we who want to see this dumpster fire stopped before it becomes an inferno should hope.