2020 Coaching Staff

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Fedora - OC/TE/AHC/sole playcaller

Coleman - WR/ST

Beck - QB/CO-OC

Hand - OL/CO-OC

Drayton - RB/AHC

Scalley - DC/AHC/Let him fill out his defensive staff as he wants.

No way on Fedora.

he was a meh OC at Uf under Zook, a very meh coordinator under gundy during mullet early years, and he was a fucking MEH HC 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Except for Orlando and Hand, all of Texas assistant coaches contracts expire in early March 2020. 

After shit show vs Kansas & TCU, it will be really surprising to see all the Texas assistant coaches return for 2020 season...

There is more shitshow to come. Likely from  KSU, ISU, and Baylor...all of which are way better than Kansas, and a Tech team that has a real coach. Barring a miracle turnaround, these assistants should be history, if not , let us just get over it and become an FCS team.

Edited by El Squared

21 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

What’s Beaty’s history as a playcaller? Has he ever called plays?

I don't know but here's a quote and a window into why Herman meshes with Fedora. .

Fedora’s 17 years as either a head coach or an offensive coordinator have led him to focus primarily on turnovers and explosive plays (running plays of at least 12 yards and pass completions of at least 16 yards).

“Those two things for us, if we can win those two battles, the turnover battles and the explosive play battles, we’re usually going to be pretty successful,” Fedora said.

Explosive plays is something Herman has been locked in on, and Orlanos squad has been pretty good at creating turnovers in his time here   It seems obvious they both follow this same philosophy, where other might value TOP like jimbo, or bag of cash like Smart, or bags of dicks like Stoops.

I expect a pretty decent shakeup at end of season as Mensa starts to crack under pressure.  The distressing part is I also expect more hive mind with some combination of Fedora/Ash/Beaty to formally join the staff, and then we are proper fucked for another couple years  

This is of course assuming he can't pull a 4 win streak out to finish strong at 9-3.  In that case there's a decent chance we make the CCG and little to nothing changes as Tom is vindicated in his mind, for another year.  

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Scalley - DC/AHC/Let him fill out his defensive staff as he wants.

LotusHorn going all in on Scalley as best new DC candidate on his thread on Horns247. 

Also has a Horns247 thread called Patterson Quote where LotusHorn posted the following about Fatterson statement on Horns:

“They may be the worst coached team I have ever coached against. I hate he can recruit, but at least he can’t coach,” Paraphrased talking to a group of scouts. When asked “the defense?” He replied “everyone but the RB coach...”  CDC is still buddies with him and will hear about it I’m sure.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/patterson-quote-137581707/

Edited by LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I expect a pretty decent shakeup at end of season as Mensa starts to crack under pressure.  The distressing part is I also expect more hive mind with some combination of Fedora/Ash/Beaty to formally join the staff, and then we are proper fucked for another couple years.   This is of course assuming he can't pull a 4 win streak out to finish strong at 9-3.  In that case there's a decent chance we make the CCG and little to nothing changes as Tom is vindicated in his mind, for another year.  

Your points are valid.  I hope that CDC would ask Tom to diversify his staff better though -- not so many "Yes Men".  Ash might be a good DC hire, but adding both Beaty and Fedora to the on-field assistants staff would be a huge mistake imo....

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I was talking about Beaty, not Fedora. But I was wrong there as well, Beaty served as OC 1 year at Rice in 2010.

Ah, I got focused on Fedora plus, I apparently can't read.

beaty is supposed to be a plus recruiter, I never even though of him as a possible coordinator, kinda thought an 8th WR coach or something.  

Saban has drawn the blueprint about how you go get good coaches with issues and give them another shot, and Urban copied that blueprint.  Saban seems to prefer drinks and philanderers while Urban has fewer moral constraints.  But there is no question it's a highly successful approach.  

Face it, recruiting, PR, clad handing doners, interviews, all of that is secondary.   The PRIMARY job of the HC is to hire.  Hire good/great assistants.  Get guys who can recruit, get guys who can coach, and bonus for getting guys good at both.  Then stay on top of them, cut loose underperformers and keep finding replacements because you will always have turnover at the top.  The best go on to their own gigs and you fire the one not working.  

We have a HC who is working his business, pals with his employees.  He is supposed to be running his business and he is not.  

Scalley was an All American at Utah under Whitingham. He's been on the coaching staff there for 12 years, ever since he finished playing. He's got a family with what I'm sure is a very comfortable life in SLC that they're in no hurry to uproot.

He isn't coming here, anything involving him is pure fan fiction. Also, it's Whitingham's defense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Scalley was an All American at Utah under Whitingham. He's been on the coaching staff there for 12 years, ever since he finished playing. He's got a family with what I'm sure is a very comfortable life in SLC that they're in no hurry to uproot.

He isn't coming here, anything involving him is pure fan fiction. Also, it's Whitingham's defense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So he's Wittingham's Mehringer?

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

LotusHorn going all in on Scalley as best new DC candidate on his thread on Horns247. 

Also has a Horns247 thread called Patterson Quote where LotusHorn posted the following about Fatterson statement on Horns:

“They may be the worst coached team I have ever coached against. I hate he can recruit, but at least he can’t coach,” Paraphrased talking to a group of scouts. When asked “the defense?” He replied “everyone but the RB coach...”  CDC is still buddies with him and will hear about it I’m sure.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/patterson-quote-137581707/

Damning “quote”, if true. 

Damning “quote”, if true. 
There's a lot to feel pessimistic about right now without bringing in lotushorn fan fiction.

Patterson regularly beat Charlie Strong coached teams by 21...in the first half. But this team he beat by 10 is one of the worst coached he's ever faced? That actually doesn't look so good for him.

Not a chance he said that. We do still suck, though, so if he had it wouldn't have been that wrong. Doesn't change our reality either way.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I just don’t buy that quote. I mean, think about how badly coached most of the other Texas teams Patterson has seen were. 

When is the last time you felt like Texas was a fundamentally well-coached team?  1975?

There's a lot to feel pessimistic about right now without bringing in lotushorn fan fiction.

Patterson regularly beat Charlie Strong coached teams by 21...in the first half. But this team he beat by 10 is one of the worst coached he's ever faced? That actually doesn't look so good for him.

Not a chance he said that. We do still suck, though, so if he had it wouldn't have been that wrong. Doesn't change our reality either way.

Because the talent level is exactly the same as it was then... At both schools.

This Texas team has more talent than the TCU team they just lost to.

The old Texas team had less talent than the tcu teams they were losing to.

IF Patterson said what he said, he's right. Herman can recruit, but the defensive coachimg against spread teams has been atrocious and the offense has been too simple to defend... Fortunately, the offensive skill level makes it functional. The last coach never had that.

Because the talent level is exactly the same as it was then... At both schools. 
This Texas team has more talent than the TCU team they just lost to.

The old Texas team had less talent than the tcu teams they were losing to.

IF Patterson said what he said, he's right. Herman can recruit, but the defensive coachimg against spread teams has been atrocious and the offense has been too simple to defend... Fortunately, the offensive skill level makes it functional. The last coach never had that.

So...bring back Charlie!

So...bring back Charlie!

There is a strange undercurrent in the criticism of Herman and staff where Charlie supporters seem to think this staff failing is in any way related to how horrible Strong was. I can't follow the logic at all, but I have seen quite a few posts over the last two weeks criticising Herman while also feeling the need to reference how hard we all were on Strong for no apparent reason.

Charlie Strong was terrible here at nearly every part of his job and deserved to be fired.

Herman may also be awful (certainly appears to be right now) and may also deserve to be fired. He has shown more signs of life in his three years than Charlie ever did, which might buy him a year longer than Strong was given to prove his case, but few people around here are currently arguing he'll be the guy to get it done.

Why anyone on this board is referencing how hard we all were on Charlie, who deserved every bit of criticism he received, as we also fairly criticize Herman for his underperformance it's baffling.

If the new girl you were excited to date turns out to be bat shit crazy, it doesn't make the last girl you dated any less bat shit crazy than you already knew she was. It certainly doesn't mean you should feel any better about dating either of them. Probably it just means you should change your vetting process...

Edit to add: I know I referenced Strong in my original post here and that's why he came up in this thread. Talking less about Snacks specific reply here and more about something I've observed in quite a few threads since Kansas.

• Like 2

Herman could bring in Chris Ash as his next DC and together decide what if any assistants to keep on defense... maybe keep Giles and either Naivar or Washington.  Hire a great LB/recruiting assistant coach and one additional assistant defensive coach.  (Ash + 4 Defensive assts)

On offense, fire Mehringer and Warehime.  Move Meekins to off the field role (maybe w/Shipley) or let him go too. Keep Hand and Drayton.  Bring Samples back to handle TE's and hire a Great WR Coach/pass coordinator assistant like LSU's Brady.

I'm guessing Mensa will have Beck return for 2020 on a 1yr contract... so 5 Assts on Offense.

Edited by LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Herman could bring in Chris Ash as his next DC and together decide what if any assistants to keep on defense... maybe keep Giles and either Naivar or Washington.  Hire a great LB/recruiting assistant coach and one additional assistant defensive coach.  (Ash + 4 Defensive assts)

On offense, fire Mehringer and Warehime.  Move Meekins to off the field role (maybe w/Shipley) or let him go too. Keep Hand and Drayton.  Bring Samples back to handle TE's and hire a Great WR Coach/pass coordinator assistant like LSU's Brady.

I'm guessing Mensa will have Beck return for 2020 on a 1yr contract... so 5 Assts on Offense.

Don't mind Beck as a qb coach. He's been a solid recruiter.

47 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm aggressively in favor of any plan that gets Samples back on campus (assuming he'd accept an assistant coaching job if we offered it)

• Like 3

On 11/1/2019 at 8:10 PM, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I'm aggressively in favor of any plan that gets Samples back on campus (assuming he'd accept an assistant coaching job if we offered it)

Yep.... Yep... Yep...  Samples new TEs Assistant

Fire Warehime, reasign Meekins to work with Shipley, and ... FIRE THIS GUY!!

7958550.jpg

This subject becomes more intriguing now...on one hand, a respectable finish to the season improves Herman’s ability to attract top talent in the assistant coaching ranks, but on the other hand reduces the likelihood he sees the need for change.

If you are of the opinion that we need to see massive upgrades across most of the staff, a respectable finish certainly muddies the water there.

10 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

The finish of this season doesn’t change that Warehime and Mehringer are lame duck shitty coaches.

Yeah he needs to get rid of those two and Orlando regardless of how the season plays out.

Edited by Bevo14

That final two minutes, where we deliberately didn't score a touchdown to avoid giving the ball back is a really stinging indictment of the defense.  And you just got players back from injury.

I don't see how you can call that series of plays without acknowledging that there are serious fucking problems with the defense.

Also, there had to be some interesting colloquy about press vs. soft coverage, because the difference was night and day and we still kept going back to soft.

13 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Yeah he needs to get rid of those two and Orlando regardless of how the season plays out.

My bet is on firing those two, hiring Samples, Fedora, or Beaty, then hiring a Special Teams Coach/ assistant LB coach or something along those lines. Also possible to assign Special Teams to the offensive hire, and allow defensive hire to focus on LBs, or whatever defensive position.

Adding a defensive coach allows him to "address" defensive struggles and getting rid of the two offensive coaches allows him to address (no quotes) some of the offensive coaching and recruiting issues.

Edited by KYHorn

2 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

My bet is on firing those two, hiring Samples, Fedora, or Beaty, then hiring a Special Teams Coach/ assistant LB coach or something along those lines. Also possible to assign Special Teams to the offensive hire, and allow defensive hire to focus on LBs, or whatever defensive position.

Image result for titanic deck

• Like 1
  • Haha 1