2020 Coaching Staff

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Wish he would go get Chad Morris as an OC. I don't know how well he can recruit, but recruits will come when there's cohesion and scoring. 

Recruiting chops don’t matter. If you win at Texas, you’re automatically a great recruiter.

Winning is Hard!!   (With the Assistants on this Coaching Staff)

Mensa is right.  He better beef up his staff, let them coach, and learn to be more of a CEO or Tom will be gone in a year or two.

Also believe it's critical that Herman hire someone with a lot more special teams coaching experience.

On 11/16/2019 at 10:34 PM, BrazilHorn said:

The fact that Herman went for it on 4th with same play he ran on 3rd (slow developing Sam run for no gain) makes me still believe he will extend everyone. 

He will blame injuries on D, have Sam say he’s been hurt all year etc etc

anything but admit he hired poorly. 

Local chapters of fraternities would rather get shut down than expel their buddies.

Thx for this @satyanash

Eric Nahlin: How some coordinators came to be

When you hire a head coach you're also purchasing access to his network and to a lesser degree, his agent's. This is very important because this is how a great number of hires are made, typically the safe ones that prove to be anything but.  This is where the value of a coaching tree, often referred to as a coaching fraternity, comes in to play, but many young coaches don't have an expansive one, because they're young. Or maybe they're insular, keep a tight circle, and aren't all that interested in expanding it. IDK IDK

Youth isn't an excuse of course. Forty-year old Ryan Day hired three good co-coordinators in the months after receiving the head job at Ohio State. On the other side of the experience spectrum, Ed Orgeron is proving stubborn old dogs can learn new tricks, too. He looks to be about a size 16 National Championship ring because he broke tendency.  Here's a brief look at how some coordinators came to be at schools Texas would love to switch rankings with.

LSU
DC/LB Dave Aranda: DC at Wisconsin, big name hire for LSU in 2016. Making 2.5 million a year.

OC Steve Ensminger: Nearly an LSU lifer. Has coached TE as well. OC in name for the most part.

Passing game coordinator/co-WR Joe Brady: The 30-year old has already interned with Sean Payton and Joe Moorhead.

The real architect of the LSU offense. A big name, big money hire; a sage; and an outside the box innovative hire that unlocked the talent LSU has no trouble acquiring. LSU's offense and Joe Burrow are the single biggest story of the college football season to me, and it's because of a 30-year old, not the head coach. Orgeron of course deserves tons of credit for going with the flow and addressing glaring weaknesses and sub-optimization.

Ohio State
Co-DC Greg Mattison: 70 years old. Big 10 country lifer. Was DC at Michigan from 2011-2014, then DL coach until becoming co-DC at Ohio State in 2019.

Co-DC/Secondary Jeff Hafley: 40 years old. Latched on to Greg Schiano at Rutgers and followed him to Tampa Bay. Was secondary coach with the Bucs, Browns, and the storied San Francisco 49ers (while Ryan Day was there). This is his first season with Ohio State.

OC/TE Kevin Wilson: Broyles award winner at OU, Indiana HC, became Ohio State's OC in 2017.

Passing game coordinator/QB Mike Yurcich: Ryan Day poached the native Ohioan from Oklahoma State after a successful run as OC for Mike Gundy. Now that's a hire; a true co- who could easily be the lead coordinator.

A sage; an up and comer; a highly proven coordinator with HC experience; a highly proven coordinator and former outside the box innovative hire. It always cracks me up when fans say "I don't want co-OC/co-DCs! Too many cooks in the kitchen!!!!" That's not remotely the case on a staff with clearly identified roles and strong leadership at the top. It's not like competing coordinators are calling plays and begging the player to pick theirs. They aren't holding up competing flash cards.

On both sides of the ball you have nice combinations of experience and youth. Look at the resources applied to offensive coaching even while offense is HC Ryan Day's baby. Texas should take a good look at Yurcich, imo.

Clemson
DC/LB Brent Venables: Nepotism cost him his job in Norman. He's helped offensive minded Dabo Swinney win two National Championships with stout defense.

Co-OC/WR Jeff Scott: Played WR at Clemson and has coached the position since 2008 when he took over for......Swinney. Elevated to co-OC in 2015.

Co-OC/RB Tony Elliott: Clemson RB coach from 2011-2015. Elevated to co-OC in 2015.

A proven coordinator given a raw deal; two young, upwardly mobile coaches developed within the system. Typically there's a correlation between coordinators coaching their position at a high level and recruiting the same position at a high level. Positive feedback loop, imo. Oh look, more co-coordinators. That's because it's commonplace.

Georgia
DC/OLB Dan Lanning: First year as DC. Was at Sam Houston as recently as 2014, from there he was a defensive GA at Bama, then ILB coach at Memphis. Was OLB coach last year in Athens.

Co-DC/ILB Glenn Schumann: He's been ILB coach since Smart got the job in 2015. Prior to that he was a staffer at Bama. First year as co-DC.

OC/QB James Coley: Started as a HS coach, now in his fourth OC gig (FIU, FSU, Miami, UGA). Has coached TE and WR in addition to QB. First year as sole OC at Georgia, worked his way up from WR coach on Smart's staff.

Two up and coming DC's; a journeyman OC known within the program with strong ties to the region. If you want to emphasize and recruit linebackers at a high level this is one way to go about it. Smart of course has the ultimate say on defense so younger coordinators are more reward than risk, especially given his familiarity with them.

As a head coach you're not just tasked with developing your players, but also your coaches. Georgia's DCs are good examples of that. Finding upwardly mobile coaches then developing them is a skill we've seen far too infrequently. Eventually Smart will wise up and follow the LSU template on offense to unlock his weapons.

Alabama
DC/ILB Pete Golding: He was ILB coach last year, this is his first as DC. Before Bama he was DC/CB at UTSA. Before that, DB coach at Southern Miss.

OC/QB Steve Sarkisian: After leaving USC in disgrace, Sark found refuge as an analyst in Saban's house for wayward coaches. Upon Lane Kiffins departure, Sarkisian was elevated to OC. He then went to the Atlanta Falcons for a couple of years as OC before returning to Bama this season in the same capacity.

An up and comer; a known commodity with genuine coaching ability. When you're Nick Saban and can veto any bad coaching decision on defense you can find a green coordinator and mold him. This season has proven the same doesn't apply to Tom Herman on offense. Saban had a year with Golding to help confirm his suspicions he had what it takes. True, Bama's defense hasn't been great this year but it's probably an outlier. Injuries didn't help, either.

In Sarkisian, Saban is being rewarded for taking him in when he needed a dry dock. I would say this might be analogous to Fedora except that relationship doesn't seem to be bearing any fruit for Texas. That isn't to blame Fedora's contributions.

Oregon
DC Andy Avalos: Accomplished LB at Boise State where he also made his name as a coach, eventually rising to DC. Cristobal offered to more than double his salary and put him on a faster track to becoming a HC.

OC/QB Marcus Arroyo: Tampa Bay Bucs QB in 2014, Ok St. RB in 2015-2016, Oregon co-OC/QB in 2017, OC since 2018.

Two up and comers under 40 years of age. Avalos was a great hire, especially for the region. Mario Cristobal had a year of familiarity with Arroyo before making him the sole OC. That helps.

Penn State:
DC/LB Brent Pry: Was with James Franklin at Vandebilt and arrived at PSU as co-DC/LB. Elevated to DC in 2016.

OC/QB Ricky Rahne: QB coach at Vandy, QB at PSU, then TE at PSU. Elevated to OC in 2018.

Two upwardly mobile position coaches. Take a look at Franklin's first staff at Penn State. You could almost do the same by looking at his last staff at Vanderbilt. Sound familiar? Current Mississippi State HC Joe Moorhead helped save James Franklin's tenure at Penn State. Sometimes it takes a really, really good hire to make winning less hard to put your tenure on the right track. Moorhead was the Fordham HC from 2012-2015. What a great, outside the box hire. It's interesting that Penn State is sitting at 9-1 with two former Vanderbilt position coaches as coordinators. We'll see how sustainable that is.

######

Lastly, if you're wondering how Herman and Del Conte would be able to coax any good coordinators to come to Texas, should they decide that's the best course (they will), the reasons are manifold:

- It's Texas and that means a lot to many. I've heard it first hand from accomplished coordinators
- Talent and experience will be in place on both sides of the ball and if the new coordinator does his job that will never change
- With these parts in place, as well as a solid culture, getting the program back on track shouldn't prove difficult. Accomplish this and now you're on the fast track to landing a good HC position
- Money and guaranteed years serves as a safety net. It remediates risk or any apprehension they might have about uprooting

There are others. Quit being a defeatist and acting like everything about the program is broken. This isn't 2015 or 2016.

• Like 4

On 11/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, LTtxfan said:

Winning is Hard!!   (With the Assistants on this Coaching Staff)

Mensa is right.  He better beef up his staff, let them coach, and learn to be more of a CEO or Tom will be gone in a year or two.

Also believe it's critical that Herman hire someone with a lot more special teams coaching experience.

I remember coach brown always fielding great special teams

Herman has to get more experience on his staff including Special Teams!!  Not an Urban Meyer fan personally, but here's an example of great coaching preparation in below article...

"Urban Meyer always had a staffer locked in on the behavior of an opponent’s head coach. Here’s why"

By Doug Samuels -  November 15, 2019

We’ve touched on the genius of Urban Meyer’s addition as an analyst a number of times here before, and enough good things can’t be said about what he brings to the table in that role.

His segments breaking down X’s and O’s and providing insight into coaching decisions has made his appearances some of the most anticipated for coaches everywhere since Jon Gruden was sitting down with some of the top quarterbacks coming out for the NFL Draft in those QB Camp segments.

The latest invaluable insight that Urban shared was actually just an afterthought he shared while digging into a BTN segment centered on how to motivate your team when playing as a monumental favorite. Urban starts the clip by talking about Ohio State’s surprise onside kick vs. Maryland.

“I’m going to give you one other coaching point,” Meyer starts by telling DiNardo.

“I would always know if the head coach was involved in special teams. For example, if the head coach was always in kickoff, then I would always know. I would have a get back coach always tell me where he’s at,” Urban explained, while pointing out on screen that Day is located right by where the onside kick is about to take place.

“I would be over here staring right at him, or have someone always watching and tell me where the head coach is at. If he’s normally not involved in kickoff, and I see him there [where Day is standing on the clip], I’m calling a timeout. Or I’m giving some type of signal to say, ‘Wait a minute. Why is he there?’ I’ve done that many times on punt.”

Meyer later shared that it was often a graduate assistant under one of his assistant coaches that he tasked with locking onto the head coach at those moments.

“So a head coach…and I won’t give you their names, but some of them never watch special teams. So if I see them…and it happened about three or four times, I see him watching close, I always had a hand signal to say we’re going punt safe because they’re going to run a fake.”

How did Urban know if a head coach outside the league that he was unfamiliar was hands on and involved in special teams, and what units he leaned toward? He picked up the phone and called coaches he knew and trusted in the profession.

See the full clip with Meyer for more.

Sliminess noted, but Urban Meyer is a cunning mother fucker. If he were a general, I would not want to be in the opposing army. Not since Darrell Royal have we enjoyed having a head coach who was the at the very top of the profession, imo. Freddy was good, but not the best.

Edited by 1leggedduck

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Beck should no longer be the Texas OC....

Quit throwing the players under the Bus... total failure by Texas Coaches in Iowa State game...

Careful or Revolution512 will come here to call you soft and a snowflake for claiming the coaches are throwing players under the bus.

After the TCU game, Orlando made statements about the players not executing the plays, etc.  Now Beck says it's the players fault that the called offense didn't work.  Man I love this coaching staff. 

Edited by texashorn13

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Beck should no longer be the Texas OC....

Quit throwing the players under the Bus... total failure by Texas Coaches in Iowa State game...

I keep trying to have sex with Adriana Lima. So far no success, but I know if I just keep trying it's gonna eventually happen.

All I have left at this point is blind hope that Mensa Tom and/or CDC is smart enough to realize what is donkey fucking obvious at this point - this ball control/impose our will/bully ball shit doesn't work in the Big 12. 

Sorry Tom, this isn't Ohio State. You don't get to trot onto the field with a massive talent advantage and push around a bunch of basketball schools every week. If you fuck around and try to control clock with anything less than a four touchdown lead, you're gonna find yourself in a lot of one score games with coin flip outcomes. Which is exactly what has been happening. Last year we won more coin flips. This year shows what happens when you don't.

Horrible Coaching... please forward to CDC!!

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Tom-Herman-Dan-Neil-run-game-embarrassing-Sam-Ehlinger-Denzel-Okafor-Reese-Leitao-Marcel-Spears-Mike-Rose-139018240/

Dan Neil: Texas run game against Iowa State was embarrassing

ByDAN NEIL 63 minutes ago

I finally got ahold of the game film and started watching the Texas offense to see what happened against Iowa State. It really is sickening to watch Texas try to run the ball in this game. 

What is obvious is ISU played harder on defense then Texas did on offense.  Iowa State linebacker Marcel Spears (No. 42) and Mike Rose (No. 23) whipped everyone’s ass last Saturday.  At one point Rose stands up Denzel Okafor in the hole. When a lineman gets stood up in the hole, taking away the running backs lane, you are going to lose every time.  Texas also turned free safety Lawrence White (No. 11) into a tackling machine. He was one-on-one with the back and made the tackle every time. The back needs to make this guy miss or flat out run his ass over! He is a safety and a back needs to beat a safety.

Herman said the injury to right guard Junior Angilau was more of a problem then they thought. The problem was Okafor in the run. He simply can’t cut off the backside end. This takes away your entire run game to the left. He missed the backside cutoff the entire game!  I’m watching guys like left guard Parker Braun, who has played well, not get their head across in zone blocks. The tight end getting beat. I see no defender getting driven backward - ever.   

What jumps out at me more then anything else is Texas made Spears into an All-American. He whipped everyone’s backside on Saturday. It was not that Texas did not get a body on him. Rather, he kicked the guy’s ass who was trying to block him. You will not see it in the stat sheets, because Spears didn’t always make the tackle. What he did was take on the lead blocker, drive him in the hole so the back had nowhere to run and allowed someone else to make the tackle.  There are plays where the tight end and Okafor do not know who to block. I will defend offensive line coach Herb Hand here. These are the two new starters for this game.

It was not all bad. 

There were times where the line got the back to the safety and the back did not make the safety miss, but it was for a gain. I will take that. At least it is not for a loss. You can’t have a loss of yards. Negative plays kill an offense. 

Let me give you the sequence for the failed fourth-and-2 play in the second quarter after D’Shawn Jamison’s interception in Iowa State territory.  On third-and-3, Texas ran QB power right. They moved Samuel Cosmi to the right side in an overload line. The middle linebacker came in unblocked. On this play that’s not unusual.  It is hard to get to the middle linebacker because of all the bodies in a small area. Running back Keaontay Ingram completely missed his guy. Watch the film and you would laugh at the attempt (if it wasn’t so heartbreaking to watch this over and over again all day).

So, what does Texas do? Get in an overloaded line and run the exact same play! Same result. Ingram got beat - again - and the middle linebacker was unblocked - again. Not sure why Texas thought somehow the result was going to be different.

I have a philosophy about running the same play back-to-back. You do that in middle school. When I was at Texas with John Mackovic calling plays and at Denver with Gary Kubiak and Mike Shanahan calling plays, I can’t remember ever calling a play back-to-back after the first one failed.

I don’t even know what to say.

Now, let’s take a look at the final two run plays everyone is complaining about when Texas had the ball with four minutes left, holding a 21-20 lead from the Texas 15.  The first one failed because tight end Reese Leitao didn’t know who to block. Mental error. The second play was a zone read out of an unbalanced formation.  Instead of Sam Ehlinger keeping it, he hands it off to Roschon Johnson going to the left side. Braun and Leitao got beat, and those two defenders made the tackle.

I hear everyone complain about the time it took Tom Herman to get out of 21 personnel and into 11 personnel. Let me just say they should have never been in 21 personnel.  It has nothing to do with the plays or the situations. It has to do with the fact their tight ends (Leitao and Jared Wiley) can’t block, and the ball was never thrown to either of them. Coaches need to see this and take the tight ends off the field earlier.

I try not to be too critical of the coaches or players. I know one thing: everyone is trying to win the game.  I usually stay out of the week-to-week overreactions about if a coach is the greatest or should be fired.

Watch the film and you will see all you need to see. I watched this film and I am here to say on offense that both the coaches and the players were bad.

This loss falls across the entire offense - top to bottom. The fourth-and-2 call was bad. Taking too long to get out of the run game and into a pass-first, run-second mode was bad. Effort and execution by the players were bad. Getting beat physically is awful.

Now comes the moment when we see if the coaches can call a better game and if the players decide they want to be more physical than their opponent.  Baylor’s front three are damn good and physical along with linebacker Terrel Bernard (No. 26) being a tackling machine. Texas better show up for this one!

Edited by LTtxfan

On 11/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, texashorn13 said:

Careful or Revolution512 will come here to call you soft and a snowflake for claiming the coaches are throwing players under the bus.

After the TCU game, Orlando made statements about the players not executing the plays, etc.  Now Beck says it's the players fault that the called offense didn't work.  Man I love this coaching staff. 

Haha yeah these are the same thing. And I’m guessing I was right since that stung

• Like 1

So, how big of a piece of shit is Mehringer?  Bazier on his podcast with Terrell Davis suggested Eagles is probably gone if Mehringer is still on staff.  First, RHM... then LJH, now possibly Eagles.  Is Herman that out of touch with his locker room when he’s oblivious that his team outright hates members of his staff?

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So, how big of a piece of shit is Mehringer?  Bazier on his podcast with Terrell Davis suggested Eagles is probably gone if Mehringer is still on staff.  First, RHM... then LJH, now possibly Eagles.  Is Herman that out of touch with his locker room when he’s oblivious that his team outright hates members of his staff?

RHM, LJH, Eagles, and every past, present, and future lost recruit need to have the maturity and humility to look inside themselves and recognize their deficiencies. /mensa 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He's not what I would call a POS. He is someone that is awful at communicating, his personality is unique and comes across as having no authenticity. He's not good at teaching and developing trust in relationships. Drayton is also unique with similar faults, which is why his players play like they have a corrupt motherboard. Warehime is an awful teacher. Just a bad staff that Herman put together.

Mehringer's players mostly can't or won't block worth shit, can't or won't run accurate routes... It appears that most dislike him more than just a little bit. Whether he's a POS or not, if he can't coach the players to complete their assignments, he doesn't belong on the staff.

EDIT: How many more fired coaches from the University of New Jersey should MensaTom hire?

53 minutes ago, Goodman said:

He's not what I would call a POS. He is someone that is awful at communicating, his personality is unique and comes across as having no authenticity. He's not good at teaching and developing trust in relationships. Drayton is also unique with similar faults, which is why his players play like they have a corrupt motherboard. Warehime is an awful teacher. Just a bad staff that Herman put together.

Mehringer and Warehime better get fired!!

giphy.gif

The more I think about this thread the more depressed I get. We have a coach that thinks he’s infallible that is going to be trying to save his job by bringing in elite assistants that in turn know it’s his way or the highway. 

he’s going to get a chance to salvage his tenure here but it would be smarter to fire him now IMO.

• Like 1

The only way Herman makes it here long term is if he cleans house across the board, on both sides of the ball.  He obviously needs a new DC and staff defensively.  He also needs to hire an elite spread guy as OC, let him hire an elite staff, and turn the keys over to him.  All of this assumes, of course, that 1) Herman realizes this is what he has to do, 2) does it, and 3) does it successfully.  I'd say the probability of all three happening is less than 5%.  

Image result for no half measures walter

15 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The only way Herman makes it here long term is if he cleans house across the board, on both sides of the ball.  He obviously needs a new DC and staff defensively.  He also needs to hire an elite spread guy as OC, let him hire an elite staff, and turn the keys over to him.  All of this assumes, of course, that 1) Herman realizes this is what he has to do, 2) does it, and 3) does it successfully.  I'd say the probability of all three happening is less than 5%.  

Image result for no half measures walter

I agree here. He just doesn’t have the humility to do this. So instead he’s going to be given the chance to take half-measures. It’s not going to work. And Urban is going to win a national championship wherever he ends up.

The more I think about this thread the more depressed I get. We have a coach that thinks he’s infallible that is going to be trying to save his job by bringing in elite assistants that in turn know it’s his way or the highway. 

he’s going to get a chance to salvage his tenure here but it would be smarter to fire him now IMO.

Here’s something more depressing to think about. The ability of a coach to hire great assistants is based upon a) the school, b) how good the coach can coach himself, and c)how much coaches enjoy working with and for that coach.

If your head coach isn’t a great coach himself, and is a narcissistic douchebag too, what quality of coach will you be able to attract? You better hope Herman can actually coach himself because c) is known.

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Here’s something more depressing to think about. The ability of a coach to hire great assistants is based upon a) the school, b) how good the coach can coach himself, and c)how much coaches enjoy working with and for that coach.

If your head coach isn’t a great coach himself, and is a narcissistic douchebag too, what quality of coach will you be able to attract? You better hope Herman can actually coach himself because c) is known.

I’ve thought about this too.  The coaches he has now may be as much a product of who wants to be on his staff rather than who he wants to be on it.  

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Meh, i would have to disagree and argue that coach Oger at LSU is a box of rocks and who knows if he gets along with others.  All he knew is if he didn't want to shit the bed like he did at ole miss he needed people smarter and better than him. 

LSU where lesser coaches win national championships.    

• Like 1

More bad coaching in personel decisions... 100% agree with the following from Ian Boyd:

Quick thought no. 1: Texas played 9 on 11 on offense

It's baffling why Texas' solution to losing a guard on offense is to insert Denzel Okafor to RT and slide Derek Kerstetter inside. Kerstetter is a pretty good offensive tackle that can be trusted to hold up now and again against a good edge rusher, Okafor routinely struggles to hold up when teams come after him off the edge. Texas' slavish devotion to playing what they seem to think is the "best five" left them pretty vulnerable against the best defensive player (player period?) in the Big 12. Baylor lined up James Lynch over Okafor and were rewarded with several sacks and a great deal of disruption in Texas' ability to get much from their spread passing sets.

Beyond that, Texas also maintained their emphasis on 11 personnel and subbed in true freshman Jared Wiley for Reese Leitao as the starter. That's right, the underweight freshman who played QB last year for Temple HS was asked to help Texas win the point of attack against the best DL and overall defense in the Big 12. That didn't go particularly well, although it went better than perhaps a reasonable person would have suspected.

Texas also mixed in a 10 personnel package that played both Devin Duvernay and Jake Smith in the slot positions rather than using a big body with questionable ability to get open underneath. They ran that on a few third downs early in the game, most of which were thwarted because Okafor couldn't block Lynch, before finally turning to that package just before the fourth quarter while asking Sam Ehlinger to dig them out of the hole. Things looked promising until Ehlinger short-armed a deep shot to Eagles in the end zone and was picked. Another somewhat promising drive, albeit in a desperate period of the game, included the same set as well as consistent double teams on Lynch was thwarted by some penalties on the offensive line.

It speaks to the emptiness of the program. It’s all a mask to the outside. But the reality is an empty, shitty program. I’m tired of this shit and I’m tired of losing. Fuck this Tom Herman led program. 

get a real coach. Someone that teaches the players and develops them. Someone the players will respect and fight for. 

• Like 2

If CDC doesn't do the right thing and fire Tom, and Tom doesn't hire a Morris or another big named OC Tom would do well to hire Applewhite.  I know some would not like that hire but it worked well at tOSU and Houston.  Not to mention Major has been at Bama picking up a few more pointers on how to run a program.  Unlike a big name who would be worried about only being a one year gig I think Major is in a position to accept and would be worlds better than Beck.