2020 Coaching Staff

12 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I just don't buy four assistants turning over. Herman hand picked this offensive staff and really believes what they're doing should work. He can rationalize keeping defensive staff members with the "improvement" over the last few weeks. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling we'll all be underwhelmed.

Wish list:  I actually don't think the offense is too far from working. Most of the problem is the predictability. Whoever is calling plays, relieve them of their duties. If it's Herman, offer Beck the chance to stay on but go get a play calling OC. If it's Beck, fire him outright. There are decent OC options out there that can mesh well enough with Herman's system. Fire Mehringer because he sucks and his players hate him. Hire Samples or have one of Beck/new play caller coach WRs. Fire Warehime because he's useless. Use his slot on a defensive assistant. Hand stays because he's shown to be a pretty good coach and Drayton stays because, while he's been a mixed bag, canning him is canning Bijan Robinson. That's a no for me dawg. Honestly, Herman is a fucking idiot if he fires Drayton right now.  

On defense, everyone needs to go except Giles. And if the new DC has a DL coach he wants to work with, Giles is expendable. Eveeything on defense aside from DL is legitimately as poorly or even worse coached than the Vance Bedford/Charlie Strong units. Sadly, Orlando feels likely to stay at this point.

Guess any changes to staff are hard for yah @gmr548 since you posted several times in the last few months that no staff changes were gonna happen...  😀

Do enjoy your posts.... Thanks! 

Edited by LTtxfan

12 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Herman will be just like Mackovic and when asked to go get the best he took a guy that is already here to give us the finger. Larry Fedora will be the new OC next year. That is what artogant people will do. Already set it up today by calling him a mentor.

Good news -- maybe not Fedora as OC per 247.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Guess any changes to staff are hard for yah [mention=3335]gmr548[/mention] since you posted several times in the last few months that no staff changes were gonna happen... 
Do enjoy your posts.... Thanks! 

Bad bot. You keep bringing this up. This week is the first time Herman's done anything in the ballpark of placing any responsibility on the coaching staff. New information changes the outlook going forward. That's how adult brains function. I still don't see wholesale turnover coming like many seem to think. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd take the under on four assistants. I'd bet on zero before I bet on > 4.

Hard for me? No. There's a lot of dead weight on staff. Hard to believe? Yes, because the dead weight is at the top.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Bad bot. You keep bringing this up. This week is the first time Herman's done anything in the ballpark of placing any responsibility on the coaching staff. New information changes the outlook going forward. That's how adult brains function. I still don't see wholesale turnover coming like many seem to think. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd take the under on four assistants. I'd bet on zero before I bet on > 4.  Hard for me? No. There's a lot of dead weight on staff. Hard to believe? Yes, because the dead weight is at the top.

Been teasing you about your numerous "no changes to staff" comments for more than a month so I'm not buying your "new information changes the outlook going forward" shtick... 

I agree with you that it's unlikely that Herman changes more than 4 assistants.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

I remember last year everyone said all we were missing were the ex head coach analysts like Saban gets!! So we got two and our offense is fucking worse this year than last. 

Anytime you need mass assistant coach changes and coordinators you have a deeper issue and the obvious problem is the Head coach but apparently CDC isn’t going to do what he said and that’s hire championship coaches that actually help us compete for titles. 

Who is even available as an OC that runs the power spread that Herman wants? Do people on here realize that Herman is a OC and we are running his offense he created and ultimately no matter who the “OC” is he will decide what’s run or called in crunch time? He’s the issue not beck or anyone else.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If you enjoy LotusHorn stuff, funny thread about Herman being replaced ( now at 16pgs and currently not paywalled).  Some discussions of replacements like PJ Fleck, Urban and even Kyle Shanahan.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/herman-139184778/

I love how they are throwing Shanahan out there, I mean really? Rod B has even said on his podcast that Kyle has no interest in dealing with college players. I'm so glad i got off of that site a few years ago. The posters there are so fucking stupid, and not in a funny way like ours are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Challenge with Broyles list (or any list with a one year snapshot)  is recency bias. Didn't Greg Davis win the Broyles?

Someone should do a list over say 5-10 years of Broyles nominees or player based award winner nominees.

eg did a RB coach somewhere have 4 RBs nominated for Doak Walker over a 7 year period

Has an OC been in Top 10 etc etc

• Like 2

https://footballscoop.com/news/report-texas-expected-to-lose-a-few-big-name-staffers-this-off-season/

Report: Texas expected to lose a few big name staffers this off season

By Doug Samuels -

November 26, 2019

According to a report from 247 today, former UNC head coach turned Texas analyst Larry Fedora is not expected to return with the Longhorns “in any capacity” after this season.

As part of his buyout with North Carolina, Fedora is due $3 million annually for the next three seasons as part of his $12 million buyout with the school, and he has his sights set on being a head coach again despite the apparent support among the Longhorn fan base for him to move to offensive coordinator amid the team’s struggles on that side of the ball.  It’s worth noting that offensive coordinator Tim Beck is in the final year of his deal.

Fedora, the former head coach at Southern Miss before leaving for UNC, was making about $25,000 annually as an analyst with the Longhorns, and the report adds part of the lure for him in Austin was the draw to work with his son, Dillon, who also came on board as an analyst for Tom Herman’s staff.  If Fedora is unable to find the right fit for him to return to a head coaching role, 247 notes that it’s likely he decides to take some time off with family until the right situation presents itself, with the UNC buyout money still scheduled to come in for another few years.

The report also shares that former Kansas State offensive coordinator Andre Coleman is “likely to look for another on-the-field” coaching job come spring when his contract is up.

Yesterday, we shared how Tom Herman was laying the groundwork for staff changes in Austin, where Zach mentioned both Fedora and Coleman as vital members of the Longhorn staff, going as far as to share that he leans on Fedora quite often for advice.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If you enjoy LotusHorn stuff, funny thread about Herman being replaced ( now at 16pgs and currently not paywalled).  Some discussions of replacements like PJ Fleck, Urban and even Kyle Shanahan.

There is no way Kyle Shanahan is leaving SF. Why would he? That’s so dumb. 

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

It's like he's trying to gaslight the entire board. What a strange guy.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Been teasing you about your numerous "no changes to staff" comments for more than a month so I'm not buying your "new information changes the outlook going forward" shtick... 

You digging up my old posts or disagreeing with what I've said isn't relevant. It isn't complicated:

1.) Surly starts wanting the heads of coaches in the throws of post-OU meltdown.

2.) I don't see anything out of Herman that indicates he's willing to do that, and say as much.

3.) Rinse and repeat basically every game. As recently as ISU, Herman shows no willingness to take any responsibility for the situation on behalf of himself or the staff, saying shit like "I'd never say we got out-coached." To me that's not someone who's showing they're willing to look in the mirror, admit responsibility, and make tough choices. One of the most important qualities in a successful leader is humility and he has not shown any, and I mean any, to this point.

4.) We get to yesterday, where we see a very significant shift in Herman's tone. Clearly the Baylor game was a humbling experience. For the first time he admits the coaching staff is not performing well and that the ultimate responsibility is his. This is a huge departure from anything he's said or done in the past. Essentially, me saying I don't think staff changes are coming has been rooted in the belief that he would not do this.

He certainly opened the door to make changes yesterday. That was very clearly not something he was entertaining until this week. My point of view/expectations for the future adjusted accordingly. It's that simple. Again, that's how adult brains function.

26 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You digging up my old posts or disagreeing with what I've said isn't relevant...     4) We get to yesterday, where we see a very significant shift in Herman's tone. Clearly the Baylor game was a humbling experience. Essentially, me saying I don't think staff changes are coming has been rooted in the belief that he would not do this.  He certainly opened the door to make changes yesterday. That was very clearly not something he was entertaining until this week. My point of view/expectations for the future adjusted accordingly. It's that simple. Again, that's how adult brains function.

Thx for the update... good stuff!!   I keep teasing you about this because you are still making comments as recent as 4 hours ago mentioning no changes being made at all (see below).  This is last time I'll Tease Yah...   Take it Easy!! 😁

@gmr548 Quote:  "A hypothetical involving Giles and Okam coaching together would probably yield some really strong results but that won't happen. I very much expect Giles back, for better or worse. Mehringer is fucking useless and his players hate him, but he's Herman's boy. Probably back. I think we're going to see a lot fewer changes than people expect and it still wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any at all, even though the writing seems to be on the wall."

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Lashlee and Scalley would be the tits but they'd never jump on this sinking ship.

I could see Lashlee. Working under an air raid coach now but came up under Malzahn in a more run-heavy spread, closer to Herman's philosophy. Would probably like to get back to a P5 job after a couple of G5 years post-Auburn; it'd be an opportunity for him to really make a name for himself, because offensive success here next year would be attributed to him given this year's struggles. He is different enough for Herman to say "Look baby, I can change!" but not so different and not such a big time name that he forces big changes to the offense. He wouldn't prevent business as usual.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about him. He has had some successful offenses under Malzahn and Dykes, but those are offensive guys. I'm not really sure what he brings to the table on his own. If there's an OC change I expect someone of his profile/stature though. B list, not A list.

Scalley's not going anywhere as a coordinator. Utah lifer. Maybe to get his toes wet as a HC before going back home after Whittingham, but that's it. If Orlando goes, and that's a big if, that's the spot I'd expect Texas to swing for the fences.

I'm skeptical of a coordinator level change at this point but if you made me bet on one vs the other I'd go offense, even though defense is most needed. Herman and Orlando have a five year working relationship. He can rationalize keeping Orlando with the "improvement" his unit has shown over the past couple weeks with guys coming back, even though its painfully obvious it's still a very poorly coached unit. Beck doesn't have that much history with Herman and doesn't add a lot to the offense. I could see him being viewed as expendable because he's not a bro. 

Of course, I'm not at all plugged in and am just throwing darts at the well. Which makes me on par with Lotus Horn in terms of credibility :).

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I could see Lashlee. Working under an air raid coach now but came up under Malzahn in a more run-heavy spread, closer to Herman's philosophy. Would probably like to get back to a P5 job after a couple of G5 years post-Auburn; it'd be an opportunity for him to really make a name for himself, because offensive success here next year would be attributed to him given this year's struggles. He is different enough for Herman to say "Look baby, I can change!" but not so different and not such a big time name that he forces big changes to the offense. He wouldn't prevent business as usual.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about him. He has had some successful offenses under Malzahn and Dykes, but those are offensive guys. I'm not really sure what he brings to the table on his own. If there's an OC change I expect someone of his profile/stature though. B list, not A list.

Scalley's not going anywhere as a coordinator. Utah lifer. Maybe to get his toes wet as a HC before going back home after Whittingham, but that's it. If Orlando goes, and that's a big if, that's the spot I'd expect Texas to swing for the fences.

I'm skeptical of a coordinator level change at this point but if you made me bet on one vs the other I'd go offense, even though defense is most needed. Herman and Orlando have a five year working relationship. He can rationalize keeping Orlando with the "improvement" his unit has shown over the past couple weeks with guys coming back, even though its painfully obvious it's still a very poorly coached unit. Beck doesn't have that much history with Herman and doesn't add a lot to the offense. I could see him being viewed as expendable because he's not a bro. 

Of course, I'm not at all plugged in and am just throwing darts at the well. Which makes me on par with Lotus Horn in terms of credibility :).

So if Orlando stays, what do you guess might happen with rest of defensive staff??

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Just like Mack burned it down when he thought Saban would succeed him, Herman would try to do the same if he heard it was Urban(narrator:not hapening).  neither of these guys egos would allow it.

No one is burning down shit. Mack's only threat that worked was ol'Joe who threatened to make a public spectacle when presenting Powers with a lawsuit. The legal threat was not ideal but the 9 figures Joe had earmarked for the university in his trust, that was a risk no one wanted to take.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Lashlee? lololol. If that is the hire then just keep TO because Tom is done. Based on his meathead methodology, he's likely going to bleed out. I'll be shocked and excited if you turns it around and grows the fuck up in a month.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thx for the update... good stuff!!   I keep teasing you about this because you are still making comments as recent as 4 hours ago mentioning no changes being made at all (see below).  This is last time I'll Tease Yah...   Take it Easy!! 😁

@gmr548 Quote:  "A hypothetical involving Giles and Okam coaching together would probably yield some really strong results but that won't happen. I very much expect Giles back, for better or worse. Mehringer is fucking useless and his players hate him, but he's Herman's boy. Probably back. I think we're going to see a lot fewer changes than people expect and it still wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any at all, even though the writing seems to be on the wall."

That's not inconsistent with what I just said, so I don't really have a response? Killing this tangent is indeed a good idea.

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Based on his meathead methodology, he's likely going to bleed out. I'll be shocked and excited if you turns it around and grows the fuck up in a month.

I think this is really what just about everyone feels at the end of the day. Sigh.

54 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

sounds like this is gonna move pretty quickly... reading the replies someone asks if they have any insight and they said sit tight a few days

well duh..it will start happening Sunday after the Tech game because they will need guys on board to save the recruiting class. as Herman himself has said early signing day is the signing day.  its a whole different deal now and the early signing period makes threading the needle even harder when you have to make massive changes to the staff.

going to be very interesting how he handles this.

what a clusterfuck.  all the guy had to do was come in 2nd in this shitty league and he couldn't even do that.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NoName said:

very inexperienced?

dude has been working in AD depts since the mid 90s and has been an AD since 06. he is many things but he is not "inexperienced" or "very inexperienced" - come on. 

i would argue he's inexperienced under the bright lights.  the extension was a rookie mistake

14 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

i would argue he's inexperienced under the bright lights.  the extension was a rookie mistake

the good news is if the BMD's pushed the extension on him and he pushed back at all, he should have the open checkbook to get the assistants we need.

15 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I want to believe but I just don't. I think it is deck chairs on the Titanic at this point.

well of course but Herman isn't getting fired this year so might as well hope we luck out with some assistants.  and make no mistake we are going to have to pay them handsomely. 

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Update...  (For a good laugh... Troll Alert)

LotusHorn 247 thread on Herman has now been locked by Horns247 Staff.  It's still available for view (not paywalled) but no more posts are allowed.   247 Staff said too much wrong info on thread for it to continue... 😆   LotusHorn posted the following rebuttal an hour ago in a thread called "Thread Locked".....

LotusHorn said... 

What exactly was made up or inaccurate?

I can give up my sources. Real journalists have already asked and confirmed.

I didn’t say Texas was interviewing anyone. I didn’t say Texas was firing anyone.

I said a BMD and now multiple are upset.

100000000%. True

They can buy out Herman. Also true.

They won’t without CDC on board and I said he was not on board. Also true.

They won’t without a proven coach and Urban while one BMD’s favorite is a no go with others and supposedly CDC. Also true.

Yesterday people got in an argument before the PC. Also true.

If Tech wins things won’t be as pretty as Taylor says.

Maybe my 70% chance is wishful thinking of the source. However, that source is verifiable by a real journalist.

I’ll be on Orangebloods where at least their staff have the balls to ask and verify before pulling BS like this.

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Here's a link to the 247 thread titled "Thread Locked" for anyone interested...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/thread-locked-139278693/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

I just got off the phone with a BMD and I can promise you, they are PISSED. Something is definitely going to happen, and it will happen fairly soon, within the next 10-30 days, according to my source. This BMD has talked to most of his BMD friends, and he tossed out the word "alignment" more than once. Make no mistake, these guys can easily afford the buyout, and are ready to sign some fat fucking checks. For REAL. So, I expect there to be MAJOR changes coming, and I don't mean Applewhite. As far as CDC, he is saying the right things for the media, and in an attempt to keep the wheels on this cart from flying off. While talking to the BMD, I also got a page from a Top High School coach and he told me that the schemes run by Orlando and Herman were basically what his team ran in Junior School, and that the Texas High School Coaches have put Herman on NOTICE. He said that IF the right hires were made, that maybe they'd give Herman one more chance, but there is a lot of negativity within this all-important fraternity. I also heard from more than one Austin area realtor source that there were indeed 3 separate lock boxes accessed this week for one Mrs. Urban Meyer. Urban of course, is the clear favorite of one HEAVY HITTER but I won't name names at this point. Take that one with a grain of salt though, as Flight Tracker has failed to corroborate this rumor. And before you ask, all my sources are 100% verified by a REAL journalist who writes lots of stuff.

*I had a good plan for this post but failed to execute. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1