2020 Coaching Staff

9 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

If it were up to me to decide the new coaches (within reason):

OC/QB- Graham Harrell

RB- Stan Drayton (no way Herman gets rid of him)

WR-Emmett Jones

WR- Ra' Shaad Samples

TE/ST- Jeff Traylor

OL- Herb Hand

DL- Frank Okam

DC/LB- Kevin Steele

CB- Jason Washington

S- Michael Huff

I would like this please 

• Like 1

Here's what I think will happen...

OC - new hire

RB - Drayton stays

OL - Hand stays

TE/ST - I think this is the wild card position...if Beck wants to stay, he gets assigned here and continues to be an ace recruiter.  If Beck is out, then I think either Corby Meekins gets reassigned back to this position or he is let go and David Beaty gets the spot.

WR - new hire  (hopefully Samples)

DC - Orlando stays

DL - Giles stays

LB - this position is created by dropping an offensive coach

DB - one of the two stays, not sure which, but if I had to guess I think Washington stays with CB and we get a new safeties coach  (possibly Ash)

(Chip Brown) The Eyes of Texas: Changes are coming

CHANGES ARE COMING…

Tom Herman knows the coordination of his offense is broken and is ready to make substantial staff changes that would include bringing in a new offensive coordinator, sources tell Horns247. Herman has identified a leading offensive coordinator candidate, and Texas will move quickly, following Friday’s regular-season finale against Texas Tech, to try to hire that person, sources said. That hire is not a slam dunk, because the leading candidate already has a job at a school that could take bold measures to keep him, sources said.

There could be as many as four current offensive assistant coaches who are let go or reassigned, sources said. Those moves will come quickly following the Texas Tech game, sources said. As a result of these developments, director of recruiting Bryan Carringtonis being activated to hit the recruiting trail beginning Saturday.

We’ve heard conflicting information about the fate of Herman’s defensive staff. Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando has one year left on a three-year, guaranteed extension and raise (from $1.1 million to $1.7 million per year) he received after the 2017 season. That could result in Orlando returning next season. Defensive line coach Oscar Giles, safeties coach Craig Naivar and cornerbacks coach/recruiting coordinator Jason Washington are all on year-to-year contracts. I was told not to be surprised if current offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Tim Beck decides to spend more time with his family.

The first two calls from Herman to potential offensive coordinator candidates figure to go to LSU’s Joe Brady, who is currently the receivers coach/passing game coordinator for the Tigers, and USC’s Graham Harrell, who helped the Trojans to an 8-4 record despite quarterback injuries. Steve Emsminger is the offensive coordinator at LSU under Ed Orgeron, but there have already been reports LSU is ready to take Brady from a salary of $400,000 to $1.5 million with a co-offensive coordinator title. There are conflicting reports about if USC coach Clay Helton will hang onto his job now that USC has hired a new president (Carol Folt) and athletic director (Mike Bohn). USC currently has the No. 76 recruiting class nationally, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

If Helton is let go, Harrell would be a free agent. But if Helton keeps his job, USC will undoubtedly fight to keep Harrell, who was set to get a raise to $300,000 as offensive coordinator at North Texas before replacing Kliff Kingsbury as the OC at USC in January. Kingsbury was reportedly set to earn about $1 million at USC before leaving to become the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. Harrell, a record-setting quarterback at Texas Tech, helped take USC’s offense from 26.1 points per game in 2018, when Helton had a 5-7 season and was nearly fired, to 33.2 points per game this season with three different starting quarterbacks.

Sophomore J.T. Daniels suffered a season-ending injury in the opener against Fresno State and was replaced by freshman Kedon Slovis, who was injured early in USC’s 30-23 win over then-No. 10 Utah and was replaced by junior Matt Fink. Slovis returned to the starting lineup two games later and finished the season with 515 yards passing with four, 100-yard receivers in a 52-35 rout of UCLA. At 8-4, the Trojans’ regular-season is over. In Harrell’s four seasons as an offensive coordinator (three at North Texas and one at USC), his version of the Air Raid has operated with passing quarterbacks as opposed to a dual-threat.

At mid-season, it seemed like public sentiment was lining up against Orlando. In 2017, Orlando’s defense gave up 21.2 points per game and was one of the nation’s best at getting off the field on third down. But Texas gave up 25.9 points per game in 2018 and is giving up 29.4 points per game this season. A rash of injuries in the secondary and at linebacker contributed to Texas giving up a bunch of big plays and third-and-longs that hurt the Longhorns in losses to LSU, Oklahoma and TCU. Texas had eight freshmen and sophomores starting on defense in a 50-48 win over Kansas.

It was after the KU win Herman said, “If a player has been in our program for at least two years, he should be able to play man and quarters coverage.” That seemed to be a shot at Naivar and Washington. But the defense played well enough to win at Iowa State, when the offense produced eight three-and-outs. Texas also held Baylor to just seven points until midway through the third quarter, when UT’s offense had produced six punts in seven possessions. The last seven turnovers forced by the Texas defense have resulted in zero points by the offense - dating to the Oklahoma game, when the defense came up with two early turnovers in UT’s red zone that kept OU from going up by three scores.

In 2017, Herman's first year, Beck called the plays on offense, and admitted after a 13-10 loss at home to Oklahoma State in which Texas had nine three-and-outs in 14 possessions, "I'm pressing." In 2018, Herman took over the play-calling, and the offense and development of then-sophomore quarterback Sam Ehlinger took off. Ehlinger set a Big 12 record with 308 pass attempts without an interception while throwing for 25 touchdowns with five interceptions as well as 16 rushing TDs.

Herman received a two-year contract extension, through the 2023 season, following the Longhorns’ Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia to go 10-4 in 2018. His buyout is $20 million ($5 million for each of the four years remaining on his contract). But with a year of film to study Herman's tendencies, defenses started having more success against Texas, and Herman's attempt to have a "collaborative" coordination of his offense (that included former UNC coach Larry Fedora and former K-State OC Andre Coleman) didn't evolve. The offense has failed to score a point in the first quarter of UT's last three games and has seen its third-down conversions plummet from 55.7 percent (No. 2 in FBS after the KU game) to 33.7 percent the last three games.

According to sources, there were times when Herman "probably burned too hot on the locker room and on his coaches when he needed to be taking more of the heat personally." Sources close to the situation say Herman has been humbled by his team’s poor performance en route to a 6-5 record and has taken a different, more contrite tone with his players the last week.

Before Texas’ losses at Iowa State and Baylor, some players felt like Herman wasn’t taking his share of the blame for poor game plans and adjustments on offense, causing some to question him, sources said. Sources said sophomore receiver Brennan Eagles questioned his position coach Drew Mehringer about the appearance of preferential treatment by Mehringer toward at least one other receiver and then skipped practice the next day, drawing a suspension for the TCU game (when Texas certainly could’ve used Eagles), sources said. Sources said freshman offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd, who entered the transfer portal mid-season, told some recruits, including recent decommits - defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen and cornerback Josh Eaton - not to go to Texas.

After beating Kansas State on a walk-off field goal, Herman lamented “so much misinformation” being spread about his program. One source close to the situation said while most player complaints (mostly among freshmen and sophomores on the team) have revolved around “scheme, playing time and how they’re being used,” others have said Herman needs to do a better job of connecting with players about things other than football.

Sophomore linebacker Joseph Ossai said he and Herman play a game on their phones called Wordscapes and Herman is constantly making small talk with him about their scores. “He’ll see me in the locker room and tell me what position he’s in the game,” Ossai said. “It’s cool. He connects with me all the time.” When Ossai was asked if Herman still has the locker room, he said, “He does. We’re still fighting to the end (of games). No one’s given up on him as a leader.” On Monday, Herman said “my job is to protect the culture, not feelings.” He added that he’s not shaken by the events of this season but is “obviously in big-time evaluation mode.” Evaluation is about to turn into action. Stay tuned.

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Yeah, fuck that.

I didn't say I agree, just that I think it happens.  He's being given somewhat of a free pass due to injuries, plus the past few weeks being better overall.  I think an absolute disaster against either Tech or the bowl game, or both, might change that.  But as of right now I think he'll get a pass to next year.

9 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

He's being given somewhat of a free pass due to injuries.

I can see that. I really hope more people have read Nahlin’s write up about the defense.

The convenient thing about not being a coach is you don't hold any dogmatic philosophical beliefs when it comes to scheme. Pay attention to enough football and you realize any contemporary scheme will work provided the finer points are coached well and you have good enough baseline personnel to deploy. This is often lost on Texas fans who coveted a three-man front in the final days of Mack Brown and who want a four-man front now. Check the landscape, both work just fine for slowing modern offenses down. Coaching matters; putting personnel in position to succeed matters.

If given the choice, and if a coach isn't too dogmatic, they should match personnel to scheme as best they can. If you look at the individual talent Texas has on hand to work with and where and how the unit struggled this year, it becomes clear to me that this should be an even front defense, on standard downs at least. There's a lot of value in being multiple, especially if you're like Texas and have a keystone piece like Joseph Ossai to make it effective, but I posit it's in UT's best interest to base out of a four-man front. The reasons extend well beyond just the defensive line and to the defense as a whole. But let's start by taking a look at the big boys up front.

5-tech: Marqez Bimage/Jacoby Jones
1-tech: Keondre Coburn/T'Vondre Sweat
3-tech: Ta'Quon Graham/Moro Ojomo
B-backer: Joseph Ossai/Byron Vaughns

Because functional depth on the defensive line is so good you can mix and match your personnel a number of ways. I have Graham inside because Bimage and Jones are more explosive off the edge while Graham would instantly become more explosive with one more spin down to defensive tackle. Unless in a short yardage package, Bimage and Jones are not B-backers and they're also not ideally suited for 4i. 5-tech is their best position and you want guys in their best position across the board. You'd work Vernon Broughton in here as well.

Coburn's duty cycle is what you'd expect from somebody his size who plays as hard as he does. He and Sweat would make a formidable one-two force at 1-tech. Let's not pretend Sweat is a defensive end, k?

Graham and Ojomo give you an active and athletic pair of 3-techs. We've seen Coburn play well this year and we've seen Ojomo play well this year. Feel free to line them up next to each other and let the mutually beneficial relationships flourish.

Ossai is a certified BMF but it's hard to tell sometimes with him playing so obviously out of position. He's being punished for his versatility rather than rewarded for it. His ability to play in space should be 20% of his snaps, used to create uncertainty in a quarterback or to play off the ball in a dime look. Vaughns is very similar to Ossai in his fit. These guys provide strength at the point of attack because of the leverage they play with, and their quickness is a tough match-up in pass pro. Ossai should be playing his NFL position. Vaughns should rotate a fair amount. This is also Prince Dorbah's natural position.

One of the defense's greatest failings this season, and preceding seasons, is losing contain. In this look it's simple: if you have contain keep your outside shoulder free and don't bite inside. While simplifying contain duties, you make playing nickel significantly more doable for mortals. You no longer need your super nickel changing his jersey number from the 90s to 50s to teens. He can go back to being a defensive back. You don't need Ossai playing out of position in a semi-nickel role. The team could even get away with playing a smallish firecracker in nickel and not worry about him being engulfed by a pulling lineman. Texas has three NFL caliber corners -- get them on the field together.

Putting D'Shawn Jamison at nickel allows you to play all your best cover pieces on the field at once: Jamison at nickel, Jalen Green and Anthony Cook at corner, BJ Foster at boundary safety (his NFL position), and Caden Sterns in the field. You won't be able to disguise as much, but I'm taking your safety not needing to take an Uber on his way to the quarterback as a big positive. Right now you're probably wondering where DeMarvion Overshown fits. They should try him at Rover if he's willing. If not then he remains at Joker. It's the Big 12 and you're still going to need a good amount of dime. Maybe they can put him at Joker and move an inch toward Rover every day. Do it slow enough and he might not notice.

The linebackers need to be better developed but that needs to happen regardless of what front Texas uses. Encouragingly, there are athletic pieces to work with in Juwan Mitchell, David Gbenda, Marcus Tillman and hopefully Overshown. Ayodele Adeoye may prove salvageable at linebacker but the Baylor game was an absolutely brutal indictment of the coaching he's received in his two years in the program. That's not good for a player whose range is already a bit limited. In a four-man front it's no longer imperative that your linebackers are the playmakers.

Though it's on the back-burner, recruiting would be made much easier. The 2021 class is loaded with defensive linemen and a four-man front would make the pitch much easier. The state produces plenty of B-backer types -- not quite defensive ends, not quite off-the-ball linebackers, but a little of both. Not only does Texas have Dorbah on the way, but also Ja'Tavion Sanders in the 2021 class. While quality B-backers are abundant, super-nickels are not. Nickel being more of a cover position makes it a much easier position to fill.

Developmentally speaking, you would be better able to fast-track players to the trenches. Broughton would provide help at 5-tech earlier than at 4i. Guys who can rely on quickness to attack one gap don't have to be as developed as guys who require strength to man two gaps. You would get more out of your players earlier, rather than developing them right on time for the NFL.

Cliff's:

- Better use of personnel: Ossai at B-backer rushing the passer, Bimage and Jones at 5-tech, Graham at 3-tech, tackles are better than ends and four-man allows for playing two DTs and one true end
- Setting the edge and outside contain are built in features
- D-line can attack while linebackers and defensive backs defend; no need to blitz as much; respect the Big 12
- Still have flexibility to change fronts because of Ossai's versatility; this should be a change-up, not the identity
- Scheme no longer requires a super-nickel, can instead use an athletic cover player. Allows for getting best DB personnel on the field
- Simplifies scheme for linebackers and defensive backs; allows athletes to play fast rather than paralysis by analysis; helps "improve" team IQ; you're now using your talent advantage
- Makes recruiting high profile defensive linemen much easier; takes advantage of ultra-talented B-backer types the state produces regularly
- Shortens physical developmental curve for defensive linemen and nickel

I'm sure I left out some advantages. Assuming competent coaching, the big disadvantage is it doesn't allow you to disguise pressures as much, but you do get some of that back because of Ossai's versatility. You'd still have third and long dime packages anyway.

Edited by USNALonghorn

Just now, Not a Sock said:

Why does anyone want Washington back? The CBs have been trash in fundamentals all year and have regressed from being freshmen.

I’m going to disagree on this one.  It looks to me like both Green and Jamison have improved since the beginning of the year.  When our moronic scheme doesn’t line them up 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 5, they have played pretty well, especially considering some of the guys they’ve had to try to cover.  I’d leave this group alone.  

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’m going to disagree on this one.  It looks to me like both Green and Jamison have improved since the beginning of the year.  When our moronic scheme doesn’t line them up 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 5, they have played pretty well, especially considering some of the guys they’ve had to try to cover.  I’d leave this group alone.  

I just don't understand why they can't have a secondary coach not a s and cb coach 

1 of the two, not both, of the coordinators will be changed.  As will 2 other position coaches (of which one will be someone more on the administrative/training/ops side).   That’s it.  Few other leashes will be tightened up.  

we go 7-5 next regular season.  Herman is let go.  

all I fear is we waste more money and try to find another “up and comer” 

34 minutes ago, El Squared said:

You may mean Re-teach, reinforce tackling fundamentals. They don’t really change. They just atrophy without reinforcement.

sloppy, lazy and no attention to detail.lack of accountability.

Special Teams need to be improved with the new assistants too!!

15 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

USC is probably going to fire Helton. You don’t think we could snag an unemployed Texan?

53:45 mark... Bruce Feldman thinks Urban stays with FOX, and Helton stays at USC for next season...  Says if USC does change their Head Coach for 2020 season, it most likely won't be Urban.

Nov. 26th -- The Flagship Podcast

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flagship-what-can-texas-achieve-by-winning-final-game/id1279981104?i=1000457980642

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

53:45 mark... Bruce Feldman thinks Urban stays with FOX, and Helton stays at USC for next season...  Says if USC does change their Head Coach for 2020 season, it most likely won't be Urban.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flagship-what-can-texas-achieve-by-winning-final-game/id1279981104?i=1000457980642

Oh really... Feldman does seem tapped in to USC. Well I still think we could snag him. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Oh really... Feldman does seem tapped in to USC. Well I still think we could snag him. 

Feldman's segment is only 12-15 minutes... Worth a listen on CFB National scene.  Works at FOX based in LA with Urban, and still has questions about Urban being healthy enough to return to coaching for 2020.

• Like 1

Need to devote s single coach to teach tackling.  

I think you’re on to something. Let’s hire the following:
Coach 1- throwing the football
Coach 2- running the football
Coach 3- blocking people
Coach 4- catching the football
Coach 5- tackling
Coach 6- tackling +
Coach 7- tackling ++
Coach 8- directing the offense
Coach 9- directing the defense
Coach 10- special teams where all the above skills come into play. Pay this person the most, say 2mm per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Feldman's segment is only 12-15 minutes... Worth a listen on CFB National scene.  Works at FOX based in LA with Urban, and still has questions about Urban being healthy enough to return to coaching for 2020.

Fucking LOL like any of that was ever about that motherfuckers health

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Like 1

Trying to decide which of this collection of “two legged dogs” we have as coordinators and assistants may in fact have three legs is a worthless exercise. 

Get rid of the lot of them. It’s not working. 
They recruit the players, they do the film study with them, they design the plays for them and they call the games. 

Players aren’t blameless but to me you look at mgmt issues when you have this level of rot. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Just thought of something even more depressing: I’m going to buy into the hype and by next August will be mainlining the koolaid. Offense will be the best thing since the Greatest Show on Turf and the defense will rival the ‘85 Bears. 

Haha "August". By spring it will be "every player on offense has gained 25 lbs of good weight" etc. 

31 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Joe Brady should excite you as an OC.  Pretending you don't know why is such a waste of time.

This is from Wikipedia and legitimately all I know about the man.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

2013–2014William & Mary (LB)

2015–2016Penn State (GA)

2017–2018New Orleans Saints (OA)

2019–presentLSU (PGC/WR)

I’m seriously wondering where all the hype is coming from. Sterlin Gilbert seemed to have a much better resume. So please explain it to me.

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

2015–2016Penn State (GA)

2019–presentLSU (PGC/WR)

I’m seriously wondering where all the hype is coming from. Sterlin Gilbert seemed to have a much better resume. So please explain it to me.

He turned the LSU offense from an archaic joke to a modern powerhouse in less than a year

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

2015–2016Penn State (GA)

2019–presentLSU (PGC/WR)

I feel like you're fucking with us. 

Herman hiring Graham Harrell seems like a poor immediate fit.  I don’t think the air raid would be real successful here next year, and that’s a year that will need to show improvement for Herman to keep his job.  Sam’s strengths are mobility, toughness, and ability to adlib.  His accuracy is pretty mediocre to poor.  Our receivers that will be left all seem to drop a lot of passes. 

We’re gonna settle for Fedora and maybe Ash (but most likely sticking with Orlando). That’s what we do here, settle. We make safe,  unconfrontational, political hires. We’d never be bold enough to throw our weight around and go steal a Venables or Bedenbaugh. We should be going balls deep after Joe Brady who’s most likely  gonna win the Broyles award this year but we won’t.

Edited by A’Dam Psycho

Nov. 26th -- The Flagship Podcast
Carol Folt, the new USC President, is not hiring Urban. She was brought in to "clean up" UNC, and the optics would not allow her to hire Urban. That is also why Helton probably stays.

I would like all these analyst hires actually do their job and self scout our offense and defense tendencies. 

Larry: mensa, everytime you put duvernay in the backfield, the ball goes to him.  The other team knows it.

Mensa: shut up fedora,  the scheme works,  it's up to the player to execute and miss tackles. 

39 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I would like all these analyst hires actually do their job and self scout our offense and defense tendencies. 

Larry: mensa, everytime you put duvernay in the backfield, the ball goes to him.  The other team knows it.

Mensa: shut up fedora,  the scheme works,  it's up to the player to execute and miss tackles. 

Per several sources the GA’s and analysts have been telling the staff that we have a lot of tells and tendencies. The staff seems ambivalent about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richter said:

Herman hiring Graham Harrell seems like a poor immediate fit.  I don’t think the air raid would be real successful here next year, and that’s a year that will need to show improvement for Herman to keep his job.  Sam’s strengths are mobility, toughness, and ability to adlib.  His accuracy is pretty mediocre to poor.  Our receivers that will be left all seem to drop a lot of passes. 

Might be unpopular, but i don't think Sam should be guaranteed the starting gig next year. If Roschon has any sort of throwing ability, i would love to see what he can bring to that position.

• Like 5