2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Jeff Scott (Clemson) getting a few mentions on Horns247 by random posters as possible new candidate for OC at Texas... May just be wishful thinking??

https://clemsontigers.com/coaches/jeff-scott/

Found an article that includes some info on how Dabo runs his program differently and includes quotes from OC Jeff Scott...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27631731/how-dabo-swinney-influencing-next-generation-coaches

"IF BRENT VENABLES is being honest, this isn't the way he'd run a program. It's no criticism, mind you. Venables, Clemson's defensive coordinator, has seen too much success doing it the Dabo Way to argue. But Venables is a gung-ho guy, all energy, and all football coach.  "You ask if I want to give the players an extra day off or do an extra walk-through, I'm taking the walk-through every time," Venables said.

That's not how Swinney operates, though.

Coaches get 20 hours per week to work with their teams, according to NCAA rules. Clemson never hits that number. Swinney gives players two extra weeks of downtime beyond what's required during the offseason. Game weeks are perfectly scripted routines that are as likely to involve meditating using an app on their cellphones ("Mental Mondays") or a talk session on what's to come on game day ("Focus Fridays") as they are a grueling day of practice. Even during Clemson's recent playoff runs, Swinney took time out of the practice schedule to discuss life lessons.

"He's got a unique way of management and when to pull back and when to push," Venables said, "and it's very profound."

To be sure, Swinney makes his guys work, too. This is the great misnomer about the Clemson coach, that he's all about fun and, somehow, it just turns out his team is really good, too. That's not what's happening here. It's just that Swinney finds a way to make even that work seem ... fun.

Look back at the 2015 ACC championship game, when punter Andy Teasdall executed an ill-timed fake punt. Swinney was livid. He chewed out Teasdall on the sideline, blasted him during his halftime interview, thrashed him again when it was over and Clemson had won. Four weeks later, the Tigers took on Oklahoma in Swinney's first college football playoff game, and wouldn't you know, he ran the same play, with Teasdall tossing a pass to Christian Wilkins that worked to perfection.

Mess with winning football games and Swinney's not laughing. But give it a little time and he can't help but find the fun in it.

"It's not all giggles and the happiness camp," Morris said. "He has a pulse on every part of that program, and he knows what he wants it to look like. He has a way of getting that message across. Sometimes that message is very stern and direct, but there's a great respect among his coaches and players."

Current Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott says there are a lot of coaches who think everything is about the grind and going 100 percent all the time.

"Sometimes there can be negative consequences of that," Scott said. "I think when your players know how much you care about them and you spend time talking about things other than football, when you talk football, you have their attention and they're willing to run through a brick wall for you."

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 10:55 AM, The People’s Elbow said:

Can we start a thread that excludes the really shitty takes like hiring Major or Fedora? Seriously, some of you are a fucking beating. 

Major, I get, but what's the absurdity of promoting a guy with a history of excellence as an OC who is already on staff?

Found an article that includes some info on how Dabo runs his program differently and includes quotes from OC Jeff Scott...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27631731/how-dabo-swinney-influencing-next-generation-coaches

"IF BRENT VENABLES is being honest, this isn't the way he'd run a program. It's no criticism, mind you. Venables, Clemson's defensive coordinator, has seen too much success doing it the Dabo Way to argue. But Venables is a gung-ho guy, all energy, and all football coach.  "You ask if I want to give the players an extra day off or do an extra walk-through, I'm taking the walk-through every time," Venables said.

That's not how Swinney operates, though.

Coaches get 20 hours per week to work with their teams, according to NCAA rules. Clemson never hits that number. Swinney gives players two extra weeks of downtime beyond what's required during the offseason. Game weeks are perfectly scripted routines that are as likely to involve meditating using an app on their cellphones ("Mental Mondays") or a talk session on what's to come on game day ("Focus Fridays") as they are a grueling day of practice. Even during Clemson's recent playoff runs, Swinney took time out of the practice schedule to discuss life lessons.

"He's got a unique way of management and when to pull back and when to push," Venables said, "and it's very profound."

To be sure, Swinney makes his guys work, too. This is the great misnomer about the Clemson coach, that he's all about fun and, somehow, it just turns out his team is really good, too. That's not what's happening here. It's just that Swinney finds a way to make even that work seem ... fun.

Look back at the 2015 ACC championship game, when punter Andy Teasdall executed an ill-timed fake punt. Swinney was livid. He chewed out Teasdall on the sideline, blasted him during his halftime interview, thrashed him again when it was over and Clemson had won. Four weeks later, the Tigers took on Oklahoma in Swinney's first college football playoff game, and wouldn't you know, he ran the same play, with Teasdall tossing a pass to Christian Wilkins that worked to perfection.

Mess with winning football games and Swinney's not laughing. But give it a little time and he can't help but find the fun in it.

"It's not all giggles and the happiness camp," Morris said. "He has a pulse on every part of that program, and he knows what he wants it to look like. He has a way of getting that message across. Sometimes that message is very stern and direct, but there's a great respect among his coaches and players."

Current Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott says there are a lot of coaches who think everything is about the grind and going 100 percent all the time.

"Sometimes there can be negative consequences of that," Scott said. "I think when your players know how much you care about them and you spend time talking about things other than football, when you talk football, you have their attention and they're willing to run through a brick wall for you."

That technique works incredibly well when your linemen are all taking steroids and have dollar bills stuffed in their pockets.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That technique works incredibly well when your linemen are all taking steroids and have dollar bills stuffed in their pockets.

This is my pushback against comparing Herman to early Dabo years. Unless we start paying players big and juicing, we ain’t going to see that kind of bump Dabo had 

• Like 1

Just now, PNWhornsfan said:

Orlando making the case even more clear that he needs to go, and it's only the first drive...

sad to know that this is the norm.. get scored on the first drive and improve as the game wears on..then shit falls apart in the 4th qtr when it really matters again

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Win vs Tech is to some degree fool's gold.  Stud LB for Tech was out entire game today...

I still don’t quite get you. It’s like there are some screws loose on your motherboard. Either that or you’re a very odd person.

A win against Tech is always fool’s gold and the massive injuries on both sides were talked about throughout the game.

10 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I don't want to see meekins back. Assuming meh and meekins are gone,  who is the best realistic WR coach candidates?

And is Frank wilson getting fired? I would like him on staff. 

Have to see who the new OC is, and what position he coaches. Obviously Samples would be one of the leading candidates to return.

19 hours ago, Goodman said:

If you are right. CDC should catch hell for keeping Tom around for a mistake he made with that extension.

Can we please shut up about the extension?  Every poster on this site was slobberin all over Herman after the Sugar Bowl.  I never liked the prick from the very start.  That's why I was negged to hell.  

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 10:20 AM, Thiefery said:

Sam is still elite but dropped balls, play calling and him taking some hard shots in the pocket and outside of it will make anyone look ordinary. Sam is our best QB for next season. JQJ and Card will be the heir in 21

CJ being glass hurt us down the stretch with Sam.  losing the only decent TE(herman's fault) we had hurt also.   I don't think Sam trusted the other receivers except for DD obviously.  Sam also started looking at the rush because the OL started getting abused somewhat by the better defenses.

Herman has no go to other than Sam run when the OL starts getting abused.  our screen game is non existent and we stopped running slants and middle of the field(except to DD) to hold LB's because we didn't trust our receivers.

Personally I think Thompson needs to get a hard look. 

We do nothing to help Sam though.  we almost never use motion, we don't use bunch formations, we are just plain fucking vanilla outside of a trick play or 2.

23 hours ago, Goodman said:

Listening to Kevin Dunn and Scipio podcast from this evening gives me hope that TO is gone. Bad news is Herman is likely picking the new coaches. 

I could see Naivar, Giles and Meekins sticking around as part of the off the field staff.

Giles unit is one of the only consistent ones.  he needs to be a coach but having 4 defensive coaches and 7 offensive is stupid.

TO being gone would be a godsend.

Horny, warhime, meekins, washington should be gone. beck can get demoted and recruit if he wants.  if drayton can keep bijan he can stay.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:15 AM, Goodman said:

Listening to Kevin Dunn and Scipio podcast from this evening gives me hope that TO is gone. Bad news is Herman is likely picking the new coaches. 

I could see Naivar, Giles and Meekins sticking around as part of the off the field staff.

Which podcast is this?  (name)

From what I've been told about CDC from someone who spent time in his programs at TCU, the guy runs his programs with an iron fist. Hiring and firing power is completely stripped from his coaches outside of certain conditions, and he controls everything down to the assistant staff, but is "moderately receptive to opinions from his coaching staff" on who should stay, go, or come on.

It's been very successful for him, obviously, but if he really is letting Herman pick the coaches, I'm disappointed. Herman has shown he can't help himself from hiring his buddies rather than using this university's ability to go out and hire an all-star. One could make the case that Coach Hand would be an outlier to the former statement; I'm hopeful that "Herman picking the coaches" is just a PR front, because at this point I have more faith in CDC than I do in Herman. 

• Like 2

He was great in his time here but wasn't he one of the big reasons Manny sucked here?

My recollection is Manny wanted to play zone 95% of the time... While Akina was an expert at coaching man coverage CBs and all world safeties who could cover and support the run.... 

You know, the stuff we complain about not seeing every week.

3 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

Which podcast is this?  (name)

Probably this one...

Nov 27th... "Everyone Gets a Trophy Podcast"

"Coaching Baby Bib"

https://player.fm/series/everyone-gets-a-trophy/coaching-baby-bib

Scipio Tex...

Kevin & Paul with special guest Joe Cook break down post Baylor despair & wonder how a man who wears a coaching baby bib can so thoroughly outcoach Texas. Then we fire everyone on the Texas staff. In other news, our sponsor is temporarily insane with grief and offering a 65% discount on closing costs in honor of our 6-5 record. Jump on it, Horn fans.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:15 AM, Goodman said:

Scipio's questioned Orlando's player training and scheme's before the season -- no fundamentals and poor tackling habits.

Hope Herman has enough sense to cut his losses with Orlando as DC.  

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Scipio's questioned Orlando's player training and scheme's before the season -- no fundamentals and poor tackling habits.

Hope Herman has enough sense to cut his losses with Orlando as DC.  

I doubt it.  I think he's back.  And of course there will be water carriers/pumpers on this site and others  saying "defense isn't the problem - Orlando settled in after the KU game!!"

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

I doubt it.  I think he's back.  And of course there will be water carriers/pumpers on this site and others  saying "defense isn't the problem - Orlando settled in after the KU game!!"

That narrative and others settled in right after the clock hit zero on the TTU game. A beating of a crap TTU team occurs, and all the sudden the oceans are healed and Tom Herman is good to go with minimal staff turnover. 

Got that 7th win and now the bleating from give the coaches more time crowd has restarted in earnest. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

All Nahlin has said is that Herman has a top target at DC, who will be a "tough pull". Which doesn't bother me, if he's a tough pull it means A) he's probably considered to be pretty fucking good and B) we can outspend his other pursuers as leverage.