2020 Coaching Staff

Listen. I need this to be Mehringer. There’s not a single more delicious scenario than hermans chosen son, Mehringer, shit talking him to players on behalf of Chris ash, the failed POS who he worked for previously, who Herman recommended to Ash, that Herman himself brought in to advise on the team.

is there a more obvious demonstration that Herman can’t see shit and is completely clueless? His program literally submarined by his best friends who suck at football and have no compunction shitting all over Herman. Fucking. Wonderful. 

• Like 5

This fucker literally hired his drinking buddies at a storied program.  Rather than using our resources to go get the best and brightest, he brought along his buddies that will get drunk with him at strip clubs.  CDC better give him a list of 5 coaches and tell him to hire one from this list.  If Ash gets hired, it is more of the same.  Another yes man.

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen. I need this to be Mehringer. There’s not a single more delicious scenario than hermans chosen son, Mehringer, shit talking him to players on behalf of Chris ash, the failed POS who he worked for previously, who Herman recommended to Ash, that Herman himself brought in to advise on the team.

is there a more obvious demonstration that Herman can’t see shit and is completely clueless? His program literally submarined by his best friends who suck at football and have no compunction shitting all over Herman. Fucking. Wonderful. 

For those of us who want to hold out on the sliver of hope that Herman can rehabilitate himself, this is an absolutely necessary scenario. There's not surgery for arrogance quite like hitting rock bottom, and minus an 0-12 season, there is nothing more "rock bottom" than having your designated protégé stab you in the back and undermine what little you are already doing right.

If he's going to turn around, he absolutely needs to come close to bleeding out, and then be grateful for the transfusion.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

From what I've been told about CDC from someone who spent time in his programs at TCU, the guy runs his programs with an iron fist. Hiring and firing power is completely stripped from his coaches outside of certain conditions, and he controls everything down to the assistant staff, but is "moderately receptive to opinions from his coaching staff" on who should stay, go, or come on.

It's been very successful for him, obviously, but if he really is letting Herman pick the coaches, I'm disappointed. Herman has shown he can't help himself from hiring his buddies rather than using this university's ability to go out and hire an all-star. One could make the case that Coach Hand would be an outlier to the former statement; I'm hopeful that "Herman picking the coaches" is just a PR front, because at this point I have more faith in CDC than I do in Herman. 

It's a popular opinion around here that he hires his buddies.  

I think he's just so inexperienced that he doesn't have much of a coaching circle to look at or lean on.   His first HC gig lasted 2 years with 1 staff, and he brought them along to Texas.   He's never fired an assistant, but look at his lack of experience.  2 years at first stop and in his 3rd year here.  

And who does he have to lean on, "mentors" and whatnot?   Urban would probably be the #1 guy to call, you know, the guy you worked for who is the best college coach in the past half century not named Saban.   He was actually asked the question about mentors, his reply?  "Well, there Mack, Greg, Larry Fedora, and the wife.   The circle is extremely small".  

I see the real problem is he has no idea who he should hire, he doesn't really know that many coaches, and he doesn't have anyone competent he can ask.   In other words, he is completely unprepared for the job.   Being a good playcaller and OC does not translate to being a good HC.  Job #1 for a HC is hiring and maintaining great assistants.  

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I think he's just so inexperienced that he doesn't have much of a coaching circle to look at or lean on.   His first HC gig lasted 2 years with 1 staff, and he brought them along to Texas.   He's never fired an assistant, but look at his lack of experience.  2 years at first stop and in his 3rd year here.  

And who does he have to lean on, "mentors" and whatnot?   Urban would probably be the #1 guy to call, you know, the guy you worked for who is the best college coach in the past half century not named Saban.   He was actually asked the question about mentors, his reply?  "Well, there Mack, Greg, Larry Fedora, and the wife.   The circle is extremely small".  

I see the real problem is he has no idea who he should hire, he doesn't really know that many coaches, and he doesn't have anyone competent he can ask.   In other words, he is completely unprepared for the job.   Being a good playcaller and OC does not translate to being a good HC.  Job #1 for a HC is hiring and maintaining great assistants.  

BINGO!  spot on!

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

This is exactly what I think also. 

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Is his relationship with Urban really that fractured? 

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Is his relationship with Urban really that fractured? 

Yes.

But y'all want to hear a take that is really, really goofy? He needs to pick up the phone and call Mack Brown.

Mack did a million things wrong, especially towards the end. But he knows everybody in the game, and not all of them hate him. He would certainly know who Herman needs to make other phone calls to. And I wouldn't in a million years want Mack Brown to have anything to do with our program going forward, but the things he was actually good at? Yeah, those are the things we're missing right now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yes.

But y'all want to hear a take that is really, really goofy? He needs to pick up the phone and call Mack Brown.

Mack did a million things wrong, especially towards the end. But he knows everybody in the game, and not all of them hate him. He would certainly know who Herman needs to make other phone calls to. And I wouldn't in a million years want Mack Brown to have anything to do with our program going forward, but the things he was actually good at? Yeah, those are the things we're missing right now.

If he’s calling Mack to ask who he should call to ask for recs on assistants, then I agree. But if he’s calling Mack to ask who he should hire, then that’s a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If he’s calling Mack to ask who he should call to ask for recs on assistants, then I agree. But if he’s calling Mack to ask who he should hire, then that’s a bad idea.

Well, yeah, Mack should absolutely not be the last word. But the fact that Mack went out and hired a couple of coordinators who I was pretty sure had a lot of better options available to them tells me he still has a full Rolodex. So it seems to me he'd be a pretty good guy to help build a list.

Granted, that's a conversation that probably needed to have taken place a month or so ago, so we'll just have to see. Lists should have been vetted already by now if you want a staff in place in January.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, yeah, Mack should absolutely not be the last word. But the fact that Mack went out and hired a couple of coordinators who I was pretty sure had a lot of better options available to them tells me he still has a full Rolodex. So it seems to me he'd be a pretty good guy to help build a list.

Granted, that's a conversation that probably needed to have taken place a month or so ago, so we'll just have to see. Lists should have been vetted already by now if you want a staff in place in January.

Mack had zero ability to spot talent, whether coaches or players. He had people he trusted that he would call and ask “who should I hire?” He was good at being able to convince that hire a job at Texas would be good for them.

i remember talking to Jerry Scarborough back in the early 2000’s and I made a comment about how good of a recruiter Mack was. He just kind of laughed and said something to the effect of “he doesn’t have a clue about identifying good prospects. People tell him who he should recruit and he goes out and sales the kid on UT.”

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think he already said he would be talking to Mack but yeah, that is all he's got.  Urban is actively trying to torpedo him on Fox, it helps Ohio State.  to be clear, Urban isn't mining new territory everyone knows but when it comes from him, about coaching, it carries much more weight with recruits and coaches, than a former player or talking head like Cowherd, etc. saying it.

39 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This fucker literally hired his drinking buddies at a storied program.  Rather than using our resources to go get the best and brightest, he brought along his buddies that will get drunk with him at strip clubs.  CDC better give him a list of 5 coaches and tell him to hire one from this list.  If Ash gets hired, it is more of the same.  Another yes man.

alignment means what happens in vegas stays in vegas, right guys?..huh? i said right guys?

It is amazing how many people getting paid millions of dollars are fucking terrible at their job. If Herman comes to CDC and says I want to hire Chris Ash, and CDC doesn’t know he’s junk, then CDC needs another job. 

How do I apply for this job?

The most successful, highest paid coach in history, and the standard by which everyone is compared, and only one May even approach, ran 12 men on the field to cover a punt on 4th and 3.

They are all a bunch of low IQ mouth breathing idiots who, but for being in the right place at the right time, are would-be minimum wage flunkies in the real world.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ColeTrickle said:

From Anwar

In addition, not enough members of Herman’s staff have excelled at managing the emotions of high-level players.

One position coach who is about to be removed back-stabbed Herman on multiple occasions, according to my sources. That assistant developed a reputation for telling players in private where they were on the depth chart, but never stating things publicly during meetings. That led to a lot of confusion within that position room.

In addition, when players complained about the program to that coach, instead of trying to bring clarity, he blamed Herman. That lack of loyalty eventually trickled back to Herman. However, that is not the worst story.

From what I was told, when Herman invited former Rutgers coach Chris Ash to give his input prior to facing Oklahoma this year, that coach bad-mouthed Herman to his guest. Obviously, Herman heard about those comments, and his assistant has been living on borrowed time since that moment.

Lastly, the OB staff recently learned that players in that position room no longer want to play for that assistant, and they will enter the transfer portal if he is retained. Nobody threatened Herman. That is just the buzz from inside the building.

I know we all want to believe its Coach Meh, but this could be Herb Hand or Stan Drayton as well. I don't think others would have the gall to badmouth the HC to the players. The way the OL has been playing and behaving the last few weeks makes me think there is a discord in that room. So my guess is it's Herb Hand, if the story is true.

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Mack had zero ability to spot talent, whether coaches or players. He had people he trusted that he would call and ask “who should I hire?”

This.

It's how we ended up with Diaz. Mack said something along the lines of, "It's the name everyone was telling me.". I remember thinking then,
okay Mack but does this guy actually mesh with the direction, players,  and coaches you already have? Can he develop the players? Oh wait, you wouldn't know the fucking difference anyways. The rest, as they say, is history....

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

The most successful, highest paid coach in history, and the standard by which everyone is compared, and only one May even approach, ran 12 men on the field to cover a punt on 4th and 3.

They are all a bunch of low IQ mouth breathing idiots who, but for being in the right place at the right time, are would-be minimum wage flunkies in the real world.

Saban’s teams make a few boneheaded mistakes over the course of 3000+ plays of his CFB HC tenure; therefore, he’s a low IQ mouth breathing idiot...

lolwut

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

I mean, it’s not like we had a former K-State Wide Receivers Coach serving as an offensive analyst that we could’ve just elevated to take Mehringer’s spot midseason. That would’ve made too much sense.

Huff is an analyst as well. 

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

I assume because tom’s an easy guy to hate. 

This, I imagine most people that have spent a couple years working with Turtle feel the same.  Plus Zac smith as already mentioned, and I always got the feeling Herman got a lot more credit for the 2014 NC than urban thought he deserved.

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

This, I imagine most people that have spent a couple years working with Turtle feel the same.  Plus Zac smith as already mentioned, and I always got the feeling Herman got a lot more credit for the 2014 NC than urban thought he deserved.

If Mensa rec'd just 5% of credit for 2014 NC then Urban would still be pissed...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

That’s not really what happened. Malzahan pulled a substitution chess move I’ve never seen in a football game before (brought punter on field but lined him up at wideout). Bama didn’t know what to do in the heat of the moment and got pantsed. It was a genius call, not one a mouth breathing idiot would make.

14 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I know we all want to believe its Coach Meh, but this could be Herb Hand or Stan Drayton as well. I don't think others would have the gall to badmouth the HC to the players. The way the OL has been playing and behaving the last few weeks makes me think there is a discord in that room. So my guess is it's Herb Hand, if the story is true.

Hand has to be smarter than that, he's been around too long.    It has to be Meh as he seems like the perfect smug prick that would be dumb enough to do that.  potentially Drayton.

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

If that story is true, how the hell do you not fire that coach immediately? Herman seems like he's in way over his head as he preaches accountability for the players, but does absolutely jackshit to coaches that are clearly subpar. 

Yep.  Only 2 explanations where a boss tolerates that behavior that I can come up with, neither good- 1) he's a pussy, 2) firing a hand picked Golden child immediately would be an admission of failure that the fragile ego could not handle.  

10 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

If that story is true, how the hell do you not fire that coach immediately? Herman seems like he's in way over his head as he preaches accountability for the players, but does absolutely jackshit to coaches that are clearly subpar. 

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago. Holding players accountable while letting your drinking buddy coaches keep collecting checks is a recipe for losing a locker room.

11 minutes ago, Richter said:

Les Miles fired his OC after like 3 games and Herman is tolerating one of his coaches blowing up his whole roster and bad mouthing him behind his back all season?

Giving The Mad Hatter way too much credit. 

Miles hiring Les Koenning as Kansas OC was...

giphy.gif

38 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

You got it right,  we don't even know if it's true.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Yep.  Only 2 explanations where a boss tolerates that behavior that I can come up with, neither good- 1) he's a pussy, 2) firing a hand picked Golden child immediately would be an admission of failure that the fragile ego could not handle.  

Bet you can come up with more than just 2 explanations...