2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

I know we all want to believe its Coach Meh, but this could be Herb Hand or Stan Drayton as well. I don't think others would have the gall to badmouth the HC to the players. The way the OL has been playing and behaving the last few weeks makes me think there is a discord in that room. So my guess is it's Herb Hand, if the story is true.

I think you're over thinking things. 

Who has a room full of players with strange roster usage decisions and a ton of discontent and reports that players hate playing for him?

Who has already had one big name player hit the portal, and now has a rumor of several more big name young recruits considering transferring?

Who knows Ash best from Rutgers?

If answering those questions leads you to Drayton or Hand as your likely guy, you haven't been paying attention.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 2:03 PM, satyanash said:

Chip Brown, Columnist

Tom Herman needs to abandon his offensive coordinating by committee, go hire the best OC he can get his hands on and turn the keys over to that person. Herman needs more veteran assistants who relate really well to players and who can recruit like crazy. And Herman needs to do a MUCH better job of relating to his players by spending more time with them away from football and talking to them about anything but football. My two cents.

"Texas needs the best OC. Herman needs experienced assistants who are good at recruiting. And I get paid to write this."

Pure genius. Totally worth $9.95. 

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Has to be. If I were Herman I would have fired him immediately when I heard that shit

If I were Herman, I would have fired him two years ago when this same type of shit was going on. RHM actually transferred and LJH was going to transfer if they didn’t make Meekins his coach. 

Herman demoted Mehring after that first year and yet he’s somehow still on the coaching staff two years later. It’s beyond stupidity.

Firing Mehringer will slightly improve the program, but we’re going to have the same systemic issues until Herman is gone.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

For those of us who want to hold out on the sliver of hope that Herman can rehabilitate himself, this is an absolutely necessary scenario. There's not surgery for arrogance quite like hitting rock bottom, and minus an 0-12 season, there is nothing more "rock bottom" than having your designated protégé stab you in the back and undermine what little you are already doing right.

If he's going to turn around, he absolutely needs to come close to bleeding out, and then be grateful for the transfusion.

This fits what I'm thinking. If Herman is the narcissistic arrogance engine some of you claim he is, he will see his failure here as a completely devastating reflection upon him. He, if he is as described, will cut any throat to avoid that fate.

I don't think he is the foul character that those rightfully critical of his and the team's performance want to believe. I believe he does have enough of those egoistic qualities to make changes. Just about all successful head coaches and executives have those traits. I think many here give too much weight to these decisions and actions not happening at light speed.

Again, I agree with the criticism of coaching and scheme for the most part. Sticking to all of that does point to arrogant and unsupported confidence in one's ability. I think we'd be best off if Herman does a profound self-assessment and makes changes in accordance with the culture he believes in.

I don't relish another coaching search and selection. If Herman holds this recruiting class, I'm fine with giving him a year with his coaching choices to see if he can start getting the performance rightfully expected of his players. If he's gone after that, he leaves a cupboard in good shape.

Lastly, I am happy about the way the team decided to play after the first quarter of the Tech game. Something happened to wake them up and play with self-pride and genuine joy. I suspect it was the example of Duvernay and Sam and Roschon on offense. The defense followed suit and played with energy and power. We could have watched the whole season end with a pathetic ass-kicking. I feel encouraged at least about the spirit of the team.

Hook 'Em!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

This fits what I'm thinking. If Herman is the narcissistic arrogance engine some of you claim he is, he will see his failure here as a completely devastating reflection upon him. He, if he is as described, will cut any throat to avoid that fate.

I don't think he is the foul character that those rightfully critical of his and the team's performance want to believe. I believe he does have enough of those egoistic qualities to make changes. Just about all successful head coaches and executives have those traits. I think many here give too much weight to these decisions and actions not happening at light speed.

Again, I agree with the criticism of coaching and scheme for the most part. Sticking to all of that does point to arrogant and unsupported confidence in one's ability. I think we'd be best off if Herman does a profound self-assessment and makes changes in accordance with the culture he believes in.

I don't relish another coaching search and selection. If Herman holds this recruiting class, I'm fine with giving him a year with his coaching choices to see if he can start getting the performance rightfully expected of his players. If he's gone after that, he leaves a cupboard in good shape.

Lastly, I am happy about the way the team decided to play after the first quarter of the Tech game. Something happened to wake them up and play with self-pride and genuine joy. I suspect it was the example of Duvernay and Sam and Roschon on offense. The defense followed suit and played with energy and power. We could have watched the whole season end with a pathetic ass-kicking. I feel encouraged at least about the spirit of the team.

Hook 'Em!

The whole “assume positive intent” approach is what leads to disaster and death in this life. Herman is a stranger to us. You don’t know him, nor do I. All we have to go on are 1) hope, 2) our own biases and experiences, and 3) facts as we understand them. 1 and 2 are useless when looking at the behaviors of a stranger. We have no idea what drives or motivates this guy in times of personal crisis. If he’s a full blown narcissist with the actual personality disorder, then there are some things we can predict, but that’s about it. Beyond that, we have 3, and as the discussion pertains to facts, there’s not a single fucking reason to assume positive intent with this guy at this point. He’s had 3 years. He’s shown us what he’s capable of and where his priorities are. 

Also, if USC actually hires Urban Meyer, light a cigarette because our recruiting class is already fucked. He is going to feast on UT’s class like a great white chowing on a bloated grey whale carcass. 

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

The same kind of bitch that tolerates repeated Zero Blitz on 3rd and 17.

I'm a football idiot. The game has grown far more complicated since I knew anything about it. Even being a dumbass, I hate watching that blitz. It must be dawn up that the blitzers loop and immediately engage a blocker instead of eluding him.

It. Never. Gets. Home.

I know from reading the football smart guys around here and other sites over the years that a massive blitz on the third an long is not such a great strategy when you could lay back, play zone and keep the receivers short of the sticks. Yet, we hold on to our blitz tradition like the Aggies do to their idiotic Howdy and pouch grabbing traditions.

The fall of Orlando is sad and will be difficult for Herman, but Orlando can't deny the facts himself.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The whole “assume positive intent” approach is what leads to disaster and death in this life. Herman is a stranger to us. You don’t know him, nor do I. All we have to go on are 1) hope, 2) our own biases and experiences, and 3) facts as we understand them. 1 and 2 are useless when looking at the behaviors of a stranger. We have no idea what drives or motivates this guy in times of personal crisis. If he’s a full blown narcissist with the actual personality disorder, then there are some things we can predict, but that’s about it. Beyond that, we have 3, and as the discussion pertains to facts, there’s not a single fucking reason to assume positive intent with this guy at this point. He’s had 3 years. He’s shown us what he’s capable of and where his priorities are. 

Also, if USC actually hires Urban Meyer, light a cigarette because our recruiting class is already fucked. He is going to feast on UT’s class like a great white chowing on a bloated grey whale carcass. 

I'm not sure I described actions based on positive intent. Herman's actions, as I meant to describe them, were in terms of egoism and damaged ego-driven arrogance. I do quibble about the degree of those qualities ascribed to him by those who can't just believe someone is wrong or flawed without being absolutely evil.

"He's had three years. He shown us what he's capable of..."

I don't think it's that simple with Herman's three years. He had a shitty year. He had a pretty good year that started shitty and ended strong. His third year had great promise through the OSU win and then crashed revealing many profound problems.

We haven't seen what he will do when accountable for those results. We spend just hours awaiting his final actions or inactions eating our guts out in doubt. We assume the worst and then comment as though the worst has happened.

We won't have the complete picture of Herman until he shows his hand on how he plans to handle the current situation. I have some hope he'll make good moves, but I wouldn't bet a dime on it. As you say, we just don't know.

Good post.

I know we all want to believe its Coach Meh, but this could be Herb Hand or Stan Drayton as well. I don't think others would have the gall to badmouth the HC to the players. The way the OL has been playing and behaving the last few weeks makes me think there is a discord in that room. So my guess is it's Herb Hand, if the story is true.

The depth chart thing doesn't vibe with Hand or Drayton.OL depth chart has been pretty clearly established and has barely budged all year. RB rarely had enough guys to constitute a depth chart. Players seem to like both those guys.

If it's true, and that is a big if, Mehringer is certainly a possibility. Players hate him, on field rotation is nonsensical, knows Ash, etc. But he's Herman's wonderbro so that's also a big leap. Could be a DB coach, though both are experienced and should know better. Still, that's Ash's background so I'd imagine he worked closest with them. That unit was a mess too.

I hope it was Orlando lol. Probably an element of fan fiction to the story but if it gets bad coaches fired then I'm all for it. Of course, the moral of the story is that Herman doesn't care much about underperformance, but lack of loyalty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

USC hiring urban is actually not the worst thing.  In the urban sweepstakes of possible events I'd list my preferrable scenarios as:

1.  To Texas

2.  To USC

3.  I cut my dick off and throw it to a pack of feral hogs.

376.  Urban to OU.

Since we don't have the balls to make #1 happen, urban 3 states away in a different conference is not the end of the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The depth chart thing doesn't vibe with Hand or Drayton.OL depth chart has been pretty clearly established and has barely budged all year. RB rarely had enough guys to constitute a depth chart. Players seem to like both those guys.

If it's true, and that is a big if, Mehringer is certainly a possibility. Players hate him, on field rotation is nonsensical, knows Ash, etc. But he's Herman's wonderbro so that's also a big leap. Could be a DB coach, though both are experienced and should know better. Still, that's Ash's background so I'd imagine he worked closest with them. That unit was a mess too.

I hope it was Orlando lol. Probably an element of fan fiction to the story but if it gets bad coaches fired then I'm all for it. Of course, the moral of the story is that Herman doesn't care much about underperformance, but lack of loyalty.

My rationale was that only those two coaches have strong enough resumes to challenge or criticize Herman and not worry about finding future employment. We did have some issues in the OL group with Shepherd quitting the team, granted he is a nut case. All indications are that Mehringer and Herman are close and Mehringer should worry about finding future employment if Herman lets him go. But we are speculating based on a 9.95 report, so who knows if any of this is true?

From what I've been told about CDC from someone who spent time in his programs at TCU, the guy runs his programs with an iron fist. Hiring and firing power is completely stripped from his coaches outside of certain conditions, and he controls everything down to the assistant staff, but is "moderately receptive to opinions from his coaching staff" on who should stay, go, or come on.

It's been very successful for him, obviously, but if he really is letting Herman pick the coaches, I'm disappointed. Herman has shown he can't help himself from hiring his buddies rather than using this university's ability to go out and hire an all-star. One could make the case that Coach Hand would be an outlier to the former statement; I'm hopeful that "Herman picking the coaches" is just a PR front, because at this point I have more faith in CDC than I do in Herman. 

There is no way that a successful executive manager strips hiring decisions from their managers, especially a head football coach.

The coach is the one who needs to evaluate the keys skills of the people he’s considering for hire and the AD has no clue about that.

Now if you want to say that the AD has final approval and that whoever they hire must meet certain requirements set out by the AD, then that is very plausible. But strip hiring authority? Bull. This input from a former player sounds like crap. And if miraculously it were true, then CDC should be fired by sundown, because no competent executive operates that way.

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Ash and Mehringer also have their Rutgers history so not surprising.

Ya, that connection probably led meh to think they had a certain level of trust, that he could be critical to his former boss and it would stay between them.  Meanwhile, Ash is like, "I need a fucking job.  I'll cut you."  

Meh sucks, but fuckhole hired him, and kept him, so he sucks at his job worse than meh.  

47 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Assuming Anwar shares notes with his boss, Ketchum hinted that it’s Mehringer. It’s possible that Ketchum was guessing, but I’m assuming he knew and spilt the beans. 

50 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

My rationale was that only those two coaches have strong enough resumes to challenge or criticize Herman and not worry about finding future employment. We did have some issues in the OL group with Shepherd quitting the team, granted he is a nut case. All indications are that Mehringer and Herman are close and Mehringer should worry about finding future employment if Herman lets him go. But we are speculating based on a 9.95 report, so who knows if any of this is true?

Your rationale assumes everyone on our coaching staff acts intelligently.

Based on our play on the field this year, I can guarantee you that’s a faulty assumption to make. 

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Assuming Anwar shares notes with his boss, Ketchum hinted that it’s Mehringer. It’s possible that Ketchum was guessing, but I’m assuming he knew and spilt the beans. 

Mehringer undercutting Herman and shitting on him while Herman gave him a soft landing spot from his debacle at Rutgers and then kept him employed for 2 extra years at UT would be hilarious.

what’s not hilarious is the fact that the guy who hired Mehringer (twice) and kept him two years too long and also gave Mehringer significant input in our play calling will be making new staff hires and coaching our team for at least one more year. 

Hopefully the Mehringer shit drives Herman toward not making more comfort hires this go around, but I’m not optimistic about that. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Kept a low profile this year while Orlando figured out new and exciting ways to shit the bed in all aspects of the game of tackle football.  Way to go Ash, at the very least-you're smarter than Herman so you got that going for you...which is nice.  He had a couple of good defenses at Wisconsin and Ohio State, and he can't technically be any worse than Orlando.  But I'm still not impressed by this hire.  Unless he was specifically told not to talk ever, at any meetings, until after Thanksgiving.  

Anwar: Sources tell me Texas football coach Tom Herman has relieved OC Tim Beck and WR coach Drew Mehringer of their duties, while Co-WR coach Corby Meekins has been reassigned. Beck will have a non-OC role. Mehringer is fired. Meekins will have an off-the-field position.

what was ash’s defense like at ohio state?  I mean he won a damn national championship.  I don’t give a shit if he went to a fucking miserable eastern school and shit the bed as a HC.  did he do well when he was a DC?  I’m asking because I don’t know and I’d like someone to tell me. 

Just now, futureman said:

what was ash’s defense like at ohio state?  I mean he won a damn national championship.  I don’t give a shit if he went to a fucking miserable eastern school and shit the bed as a HC.  did he do well when he was a DC?  I’m asking because I don’t know and I’d like someone to tell me. 

this.. need answers now @WhatTheBuck

Well. You guy wanted action and you’re certainly getting it. If this is CDC demanding the moves then I would guess Herman has 2 years minimum. If Herman made these moves on his own then he might know that he has one year to fix it or he is out. 

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

Just read it was Ash's schemes but Fickel (sp?) called the plays... 9.95 take what you think from that

According to Anwar, we're looking at Graham Harrell and Brady. No way Brady leaves right? I mean on the one hand you got Burrow who is the best LSU has ever seen at QB so you might take a huge step down next year at QB. On the other hand, you're really leaving LSU and all that hot recruiting to deal with Herman? Do they have any history together?

Just now, mdmost said:

According to Anwar, we're looking at Graham Harrell and Brady. No way Brady leaves right? I mean on the one hand you got Burrow who is the best LSU has ever seen at QB so you might take a huge step down next year at QB. On the other hand, you're really leaving LSU and all that hot recruiting to deal with Herman? Do they have any history together?

Well currently Brady isn't OC and only makes like 300k. So this would be a big raise, although I'd expect LSU to match.