2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Yeah, in the Big Ten. The conference where the peak of offensive creativity for most teams is running I-formation three times, then punting.

A Big Ten DC would get torn to pieces in the Big 12. The offenses here are light-years ahead of the outdated pro-style attacks Ash faced at Ohio State.

This is like saying Don Brown is a great defensive coordinator, then wondering why Michigan is always slaughtered by the first spread offense (Ohio State) they face all year.

and the Big 12 is not the Big 12 of 2-3 years ago.

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I honestly don’t understand how any respected OC or DC could want this job. You’re coming in with the knowledge that Herman is essentially a dead man walking, and you have ONE year to get the program turned around or else he’s fired, and you’re fired. It’s a career defining move. Either it works out, and you’ll have an opportunity to be a HC within 5 years, or you have a huge stain on your resume from being at a job for one year. Shit like this can work with Mack, when he’s already won and has a little job security. I don’t see how it could work with a coach who is legitimately on the hottest of hot seats. I’m trying to remain positive, but it seems like we’re just spinning our wheels, delaying the inevitable.

Meh, it can be more enticing than you might think. Come be a DC/OC for a team that will have two top 5 recruiting classes and maybe a top ten finish this year. Any OC knows coming in here and tearing it up will mean a HC job in 2 years maybe 1 if it’s Brady. This team offensively has shown it can be explosive.p For DC, again there is a lot of talent on this defense and as long as you don’t blitz your safety from bfe then your going to be a really good DC. 

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

They said the same thing about Strong at Louisville

i need a wayyy bigger sample size on Brady

No they didn't. Strong had nothing to do with the QB. Whether Bridgewater succeeded or not could be put on their OC or on Bridgewater himself depending on how he achieved his success. Can't say the same about Brady and Burrow 

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Yeah, in the Big Ten. The conference where the peak of offensive creativity for most teams is running I-formation three times, then punting.

A Big Ten DC would get torn to pieces in the Big 12. The offenses here are light-years ahead of the outdated pro-style attacks Ash faced at Ohio State.

This is like saying Don Brown is a great defensive coordinator, then wondering why Michigan is always slaughtered by the first spread offense (Ohio State) they face all year.

Alex Grinch came from OSU

I honestly don’t understand how any respected OC or DC could want this job (unless they’re just getting a massive raise that they can’t pass up). You’re coming in with the knowledge that Herman is essentially a dead man walking, and you have ONE year to get the program turned around or else he’s fired, and you’re fired. It’s a career defining move. Either it works out, and you’ll have an opportunity to be a HC within 5 years, or you have a huge stain on your resume from being at a job for one year. Shit like this can work with Mack, when he’s already won and has a little job security. I don’t see how it could work with a coach who is legitimately on the hottest of hot seats. I’m trying to remain positive, but it seems like we’re just spinning our wheels, delaying the inevitable.

He’s absolutely right. Each of us should just wind up our personal affairs, select a coffin and just end it. Otherwise we are just delaying the inevitable.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Not only this, but the new coordinators will want some say into their assistants. Once this OC and DC have been hired, there should be other moves regarding assistants.

Ironically, I just got a text from my inside person (same one that gave me the earful in October about the Eagles issue).  Beck and Warehime will stay on through the bowl, but then are out.  New hires will be made by the new OC.  One of the new hires could be someone already on staff, but that's pending other issues getting worked out first.  Hand and Drayton are safe.  I asked about the defensive side, and there has been no word on Giles, Washington or Naivar long term.  With these they are probably going to be interviewing for their jobs with the new DC.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because everyone paying even half attention knows that he is a play-calling offensive coordinator without the official title, which I’m guessing LSU will offer him the title and cash that goes with it to keep him in short order. 

Harrell seemed to be able to make chicken salad , or at least lettuce wraps,  out of chicken shit, while a lot of the success of LSU seems to be Burrow and SEC getting adjusted to what the  rest of the CFB does on offense. Yes they beat Bama, as did Auburn w/ a freshman QB . 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Is life really that scary for you? You must still be at the same job because why would you ever take a new position when you might fail

Well that depends. Am I taking a job where I know my boss is terrible at his job and if I don’t clean up his mess it’s going to come back on me and fuck with my reputation. It would be one thing if there was a debate about whether for not Herman is good at his job. He’s not. At all. I dont know, maybe I’m just not giving enough credit to the “Texas shine” that apparently hasn’t worn all the way off yet. I’ll admit that. Just seems like there’s going to be better opportunities opening up. You know, like when a good coach (One with job security) hires an OC, they win, and that OC leaves for a HC job and now his old job opens up. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Well that depends. Am I taking a job where I know my boss is terrible at his job and if I don’t clean up his mess it’s going to come back on me and fuck with my reputation. It would be one thing if there was a debate about whether for not Herman is good at his job. He’s not. At all. I dont know, maybe I’m just not giving enough credit to the “Texas shine” that apparently hasn’t worn all the way off yet. I’ll admit that. 

Coaches take jobs for money and for upward career movement, the former is usually more important than the latter

Just now, satyanash said:

I know time heals all wounds, but Morris and Odom would be pretty surprising based on Herman's history with them/their former jobs. 

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Coaches take jobs for money and for upward career movement, the former is usually more important than the latter

that’s fair. Wasn’t really trying to start a debate. It was an honest question, and i have my reasoning for why I had the question. Felt like it was a fair question, but whatever. I still think we should just rip the bandaid off and hire a coach that knows what the fuck they’re doing, because I have a strong feeling we’re going to be sitting here this time next year with a fire (insert new OC/DC) thread. This shit starts from the top. 

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I wonder if any consideration will go to Kellen Moore for OC? Love the mind of Boise State guys and he did wonders for the Dallas offense. Not to mention he was the winningest college QB ever which I'm sure some high school kid could be convinced is something very impressive and important.

If he doesnt stay in Dallas he'll be an OC in the NFL somewhere. Will eventually be a HC in the NFL. I'd love to have him, but he's not coming. 

20 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Meh, it can be more enticing than you might think. Come be a DC/OC for a team that will have two top 5 recruiting classes and maybe a top ten finish this year. Any OC knows coming in here and tearing it up will mean a HC job in 2 years maybe 1 if it’s Brady. This team offensively has shown it can be explosive.p For DC, again there is a lot of talent on this defense and as long as you don’t blitz your safety from bfe then your going to be a really good DC. 

I can’t dispute anything you’re saying. I just don’t see a scenario where Charlie Strong 2.0, I mean Herman gets us to 10 wins, and definitely not a top 10 finish. I want to be wrong more than anything.

1 minute ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Looks like IT thinks Graham Harrell will be the most likely OC hire. I haven't watched USC much this year. Does Graham Harrell run a more balanced Air Raid system or does he run a more pure Air Raid?

I'd say its balanced. Skeptical on the run game as their numbers are not great this year as they rank 111th in rush offense.

7 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Looks like IT thinks Graham Harrell will be the most likely OC hire. I haven't watched USC much this year. Does Graham Harrell run a more balanced Air Raid system or does he run a more pure Air Raid?

USC is more pass heavy. They had more yards passing per game than Texas and that was with a 3rd string playing most of the year. 335 yards per game for USC vs. 296.2 per game for Texas. I'm not sure what their running backs look like compared to ours. Recruiting has dropped off considerably for USC in the last couple of years. 

Edited by mdmost

11 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

6 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

I'd say its balanced. Skeptical on the run game as their numbers are not great this year as they rank 111th in rush offense.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

USC is more pass heavy. They had more yards passing per game than Texas and that was with a 3rd string playing most of the year. 335 yards per game for USC vs. 296.2 per game for Texas. I'm not sure what their running backs look like compared to ours. Recruiting has dropped off considerably for USC in the last couple of years. 

What's USC base personnel on offense this year? 11, 20, or 10?

• Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Not only this, but the new coordinators will want some say into their assistants. Once this OC and DC have been hired, there should be other moves regarding assistants.

Right, and we would trust our super inexperienced coach with a very limited coaching circle to hire an even less experienced coach with a small circle to figure out who else to hire.  Great. 

Yeah, so who would you like to bring in to assist you on offense?  Welp, I know this emsfinger guy.  I think that’s his name.  

Maybe we can outspend toms buyout on assistants for a year.  

I mean it's evident that all of this needs to happen but it doesn't feel great... Strong didn't get it right with his transitional hires when he took over. Herman didn't either. Strong couldn't make up the ground necessary to create a cohesive team to do fuck all when he cleaned house. Now we're on the exact same tipping point with Herman hoping that he can make up the ground by reshuffling the majority of his staff. Having to clean house in year three, necessary or not, isn't the best place to be in. 

21 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I can’t dispute anything you’re saying. I just don’t see a scenario where Charlie Strong 2.0, I mean Herman gets us to 10 wins, and definitely not a top 10 finish. I want to be wrong more than anything.

Well I mean Herman did get Texas to 10 wins last year. This team can do it especially when being coached by below average knowledge. I have no doubt in my mind coaches want to coach at Texas. But Herman was plucked from Iowa st by arguably one of the best coaches from the past 20years. So I think the question we need to be asking is not whether coaches will come but rather if Herman can identify the best possible coach for this team. 

edit: I’m not saying Herman is one of the greatest coaches or employing he can be. I’m just saying he needs to be able to recognize talented coaches or else it’ll be over at Texas with him as the head coach. 

Edited by DoneWithit

1 minute ago, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

I mean it's evident that all of this needs to happen but it doesn't feel great... Strong didn't get it right with his transitional hires when he took over. Herman didn't either. Strong couldn't make up the ground necessary to create a cohesive team to do fuck all when he cleaned house. Now we're on the exact same tipping point with Herman hoping that he can make up the ground by reshuffling the majority of his staff. Having to clean house in year three, necessary or not, isn't the best place to be in. 

This is most likely reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Herman's initial staff was terrible in retrospect.  Someone who fucks up that badly probably isn't turning things around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Right, and we would trust our super inexperienced coach with a very limited coaching circle to hire an even less experienced coach with a small circle to figure out who else to hire.  Great. 

Yeah, so who would you like to bring in to assist you on offense?  Welp, I know this emsfinger guy.  I think that’s his name.  

Maybe we can outspend toms buyout on assistants for a year.  

Like it or not, that’s how it works.

50 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Joe Burrow was an inaccurate, unfeared quarterback last year and now he's a Heisman winner and likely the first QB in the draft. While I have Graham as my preferred choice, Burrow didn't make Brady, it's the other way around.

No one is arguing that Brady did not do a great job at LSU. Those of us not sold on the guy make the point that he is inexperienced. Things worked fine under the LSU structure but here he would have to run the show. Therefore, it would be a high risk hire with a large upside but it could easily turn into a learn on the job situation that fails. Herman has shown he does not pay attention to detail. This means his coordinators would have to pay attention to all the details across all positions and their assistants. Sitting there designing a game plan and calling plays does not mean your the guy making sure everything is working like a fine tuned engine. They are two very different jobs.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is most likely reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Herman's initial staff was terrible in retrospect.  Someone who fucks up that badly probably isn't turning things around.

Herman has the added pressure of coming off a paper tiger effort from Orlando. Strong's first year defense was scary but the offensive woes made it unsustainable for a defensive minded head coach from the jump. Orlando seemingly had a the chops to let the offense do its thing but ended up being the Cro-Magnon pencil salesmen he appeared to be. The drop off from last year to this year was nothing short of alarming. It was clear he had no answers when opponents started to scheme against him and he had no ability to adjust in game or week to week. I'm not as worried as the OC hire as I am the DC. Now we have to make a home run hire defensively, that new staff has to come in and undo all the poor coaching, install a new scheme, get the defense on the same page, recruit, and all in one offseason. Where have I seen this before...

27 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Well he’s already done it once so?

9 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Well I mean Herman did get Texas to 10 wins last year. This team can do it especially when being coached by below average knowledge. I have no doubt in my mind coaches want to coach at Texas. But Herman was plucked from Iowa st by arguably one of the best coaches from the past 20years. So I think the question we need to be asking is not whether coaches will come but rather if Herman can identify the best possible coach for this team. 

edit: I’m not saying Herman is one of the greatest coaches or employing he can be. I’m just saying he needs to be able to recognize talented coaches or else it’ll be over at Texas with him as the head coach. 

Haha I don’t know why I thought we finished 9-4 last year. Oops. I still think Herman is a terrible Head coach, and we won’t get to where we want to be if he is associated with our program, but I’m not in the business so i don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about. Again, I hope I’m wrong. I want to win as bad as anyone. I’m so sick of this shit. Wearing Texas gear anywhere outside of the state is a quick way to get into “are you guys back yet? Wtf is going on with you guys. Seems like you should never be this bad for this long.” And i can’t turn around and say “well you’re an ASU sun devil fan.” Like yeah, no shit. We aren’t Texas.

• Fuck You 1

I saw a UH fan, who keeps up with UT football, make this comment on another forum about the offensive coaching changes Herman is making:

I’ve seen Herman shit all over the air raid when he was at Houston. I’m sure if I looked I can literally find him on camera during a press conference saying the air raid can’t win you championships. This is wild to watch.

• Fuck You 1