2020 Coaching Staff

1 minute ago, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

Herman has the added pressure of coming off a paper tiger effort from Orlando. Strong's first year defense was scary but the offensive woes made it unsustainable for a defensive minded head coach from the jump. Orlando seemingly had a the chops to let the offense do its thing but ended up being the Cro-Magnon pencil salesmen he appeared to be. The drop off from last year to this year was nothing short of alarming. It was clear he had no answers when opponents started to scheme against him and he had no ability to adjust in game or week to week. I'm not as worried as the OC hire as I am the DC. Now we have to make a home run hire defensively, that new staff has to come in and undo all the poor coaching, install a new scheme, get the defense on the same page, recruit, and all in one offseason. Where have I seen this before...

I honestly have no clue what you’re talking about. The defense wasn’t drastically worse than last year. If we had stayed healthier like we were in 2018, we probably finish close to where the 2018 defense finished. The drop off occurred two years ago, not this year. This year was a more of a slight decline than a drop off. 

And the last time we had a top 10 defense was in 2017, when we had a new staff that had to come in and undo all the poor coaching, establish a new scheme, etc. 

Things are not nearly as doomed on defense as you’re making them out to be. IF, big if, Herman hires a good DC, we’ll see a drastic improvement over the last two years. We have the talent to be a very good defense next year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah, i still dont trust the guy that has ONE year of experience calling plays with Joe Fucking Burrow at QB

would wait to see how he does next year before pulling the trigger

He turned the “poor mans Ehlinger” into the Heisman winner and 1st round draft pick. Wonder what he can do with the actual guy??

• Like 3

I saw a UH fan, who keeps up with UT football, make this comment on another forum about the offensive coaching changes Herman is making:

I’ve seen Herman shit all over the air raid when he was at Houston. I’m sure if I looked I can literally find him on camera during a press conference saying the air raid can’t win you championships. This is wild to watch.

He hadn’t yet seen what Riley did with it. Herman is going to do the same thing likely.

11 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I saw a UH fan, who keeps up with UT football, make this comment on another forum about the offensive coaching changes Herman is making:

I’ve seen Herman shit all over the air raid when he was at Houston. I’m sure if I looked I can literally find him on camera during a press conference saying the air raid can’t win you championships. This is wild to watch.

Who says we’re running the air raid?

20 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

No one is arguing that Brady did not do a great job at LSU. Those of us not sold on the guy make the point that he is inexperienced. Things worked fine under the LSU structure but here he would have to run the show. Therefore, it would be a high risk hire with a large upside but it could easily turn into a learn on the job situation that fails. Herman has shown he does not pay attention to detail. This means his coordinators would have to pay attention to all the details across all positions and their assistants. Sitting there designing a game plan and calling plays does not mean your the guy making sure everything is working like a fine tuned engine. They are two very different jobs.

all this infighting about Brady is pointless. LSU has realized the importance of surrounding the Grape Ape with high level assistants.  Brady will get huge raise, new title and extension and will stay there.  Graham is the likely hire, if not someone other than Brady.

2 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

all this infighting about Brady is pointless. LSU has realized the importance of surrounding the Grape Ape with high level assistants.  Brady will get huge raise, new title and extension and will stay there.  Graham is the likely hire, if not someone other than Brady.

This

8 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Seen through the lens of “he has to break tendency for this to have a chance of working”, if he has taken this stance previously but is willing to admit he was wrong and make this hire, I think that would be viewed as a positive.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

No one is arguing that Brady did not do a great job at LSU. Those of us not sold on the guy make the point that he is inexperienced. Things worked fine under the LSU structure but here he would have to run the show. Therefore, it would be a high risk hire with a large upside but it could easily turn into a learn on the job situation that fails. Herman has shown he does not pay attention to detail. This means his coordinators would have to pay attention to all the details across all positions and their assistants. Sitting there designing a game plan and calling plays does not mean your the guy making sure everything is working like a fine tuned engine. They are two very different jobs.

What LSU structure? We were laughing our asses off at them literally this time last year when they lost to aggy and the year before lost to a fucking Sun Belt team. The LSU offensive structure that turned OBJ and a bunch of other elite, future Pro Bowl WRs plus a litany of first round RBs into an offense that couldn't crack the top 50? Jesus Christ due, get a grip on reality. He went into a shithole of offensive mediocrity and turned it into the best offense in the country in an offseason. Yes, he could very well crash and burn if he came here. It's possible LSU's talent plus his mind were perfectly made for each other and he can't succeed with what he have here or his scheme can be found out and he can't respond. I doubt it. I think Harrell is still the better pick but this dude is an offensive wunderkind and we've seen enough, small sample size notwithstanding, to know he is good.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

yes, and maybe I've defended the likes of squints and Greg Davis and Mackovic before

doesn't mean i believe it now

now what's true for me isn't necessarily true for Tom, but allow me this wishful drinking, will ya?

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Ash wasn't a failed DC. He failed as a HC. He was a good DC at OSU, and helped them win a National championship. It's hilarious to watch people spin so much shit. Barry Odom was a failed head coach, but it seems everyone would be happy if he was hired as the DC. Alabama consistently hires failed HC's to coordinator positions, including their last 3 OC's.

He's a Herman bro and thought that Mehringer would be a good OC.  Hard pass. 

We need Herman to stop hiring bros he's comfortable with and get the absolute best.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

28 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Who says we’re running the air raid?

IT thinks Graham Harrell will most likely be the OC hire. Graham Harrell is part of the Air Raid coaching tree.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I can’t dispute anything you’re saying. I just don’t see a scenario where Charlie Strong 2.0, I mean Herman gets us to 10 wins, and definitely not a top 10 finish. I want to be wrong more than anything.

This is a dumb take; for all of Herman's flaws, he can coach circles around Strong.  Let's at least attempt to intelligently hyperbolize. Even Surly at its surliest has standards.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cafe society said:

This is a dumb take; for all of Herman's flaws, he can coach circles around Strong.  Let's at least attempt to intelligently hyperbolize. Even Surly at its surliest has standards.

I think you’re misunderstanding what i meant. Or maybe I phrased it the wrong way. I meant it like he was an upgraded better version of Charlie. Like, better at his job, but still clearly not the guy, and it’s so obvious IMO. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No matter what happens over the course of the next month, rejoice in the fact that we won’t have to send the university president and athletic director to beg a dude with a ‘g’ missing from his name to accept our offer.

spacer.png

The traditional Irish spelling of Graham in the 1800s was “Gragham.” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Xian said:

Even if we decide to go with Harrell we need to press the LSU bro so they lock up a stupid Jimbo level contract with him.   He might be great, but it has still only been one year. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-on-joe-brady/

With regards to Joe Brady, sources tell FootballScoop LSU has no plans to lose Joe unless an incredible head coaching opportunity presents itself. Sources tell FootballScoop at this time, no head coaching opportunities have presented themselves.

With regards to the dollars, early this season the whisper was LSU was going to pay him in the $1 million a year range. Late this season, the whisper was the number was likely to be closer to $1.5 million. Today, sources tell FootballScoop the commitment from LSU is stronger than that.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, there’s 0 chance we get Brady as the OC no matter how much we offer. People should just drop that one.

Plus I hear he's been working on his coonass, getting pretty good at it apparently.... so he actually understands most of what his boss is saying to him now.  

31 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Graham Harrell feels like a Mack Brown recommendation.  I think Mack almost hired him himself last year before he went to USC.  The times I have watched USC I’ve liked what I saw from the offense but the sample size is too small.  We need a freak out check of the USC board.  

Wut? See what he did with Mason Fine and UNT

jfc

Beaty ruined everything he touched. I cannot for the life of me understand how you guys have not come to grips with this. Ku’s Texas recruiting was at an all time low under him. He should probably be fired as well if he is an offensive analyst for you guys. 

I am honestly not trying to be rude, but you’re talking about someone trying to recruit people to go to fucking Kansas. Good people can fail at that.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

I mean it's evident that all of this needs to happen but it doesn't feel great... Strong didn't get it right with his transitional hires when he took over. Herman didn't either. Strong couldn't make up the ground necessary to create a cohesive team to do fuck all when he cleaned house. Now we're on the exact same tipping point with Herman hoping that he can make up the ground by reshuffling the majority of his staff. Having to clean house in year three, necessary or not, isn't the best place to be in. 

Well TH chose poorly, but he is hired in large part to make the right choices. Cannot pity the man for not doing it right. Some of it is luck, some of it is knowledge, competence, and leadership. Much of this team’s failure is on him. Perhaps even some of the high volume injury situation as he is over S&C in a supervisory role. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

USC is more pass heavy. They had more yards passing per game than Texas and that was with a 3rd string playing most of the year. 335 yards per game for USC vs. 296.2 per game for Texas. I'm not sure what their running backs look like compared to ours. Recruiting has dropped off considerably for USC in the last couple of years. 

How much of that though is based upon the QBs particular skill set, and his OL’s strength and what he has available as serviceable RBs, TEs etc.?

Edited by El Squared