2020 Coaching Staff

1 minute ago, GTX Horn said:

How many of the offensive position coaches at USC are guys Harrell brought in? I think he'd be a solid hire, but it will be interesting to see how he fills out the offensive position coaches.

I doubt a young oc who was getting his first big job to help try to save Helton's ass got to dictate who he would be working with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

On the Strong comparison: he hung on to Vance Bedford until the season he got fired. Also, let me know when we have 3 XPs blocked in one game. Redemption may be unlikely, but it’s far more likely this time than it was for Strong.

On Fox before or during the Tech game, while the studio guys were all shitting on Texas' ability to develop talent, Charles Woodson went out of his way to contrast the development under the Texas staff with the brilliant coaching he got from Vance Bedford, who was DB coach when he was at Michigan.

I rewound it just to make sure I didn't mis-hear it.

• Like 2

I prefer Harrell to Brady for a variety of reasons, but I for damned sure want to bid on Brady and make LSU pay through the nose. Preferably with a shit ton of guarantees. It'd be nice if we had some way to make them keep Ensminger, too, because he's not likely to appreciate being demoted publicly like he has already been done privately, and whatever bitter seeds that could be sown in that program need to be sown.

But meanwhile, fuck fucking with other people -- just get us a damned OC and DC who know what the fuck they are doing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

On Fox before or during the Tech game, while the studio guys were all shitting on Texas' ability to develop talent, Charles Woodson went out of his way to contrast the development under the Texas staff with the brilliant coaching he got from Vance Bedford, who was DB coach when he was at Michigan.

I rewound it just to make sure I didn't mis-hear it.

Saw that live as well. Almost spit out my morning coffee from laughing.

14 minutes ago, El Squared said:

How much of that though is based upon the QBs particular skill set, and his OL’s strength and what he has available as serviceable RBs, TEs etc.?

USC played some 11 personnel, their TEs had 15 catches. Texas TEs had 12 catches. USC also spread the running game around with 4 guys tallying 50+ carries on the season, but I wouldn't look at the amount of carries as opposed to their YPC. All of them where 4.8 or better. He also likes using RBs in the passing game, which is good because Ingram, Whittington, and Johnson can all catch the ball. I think with USC their personnel was much better at WR/QB as opposed to RB/OL. USC also didn't run pace, as they averaged under 70 plays per game, while at North Texas they were closer to 80 per game.

47 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, there’s 0 chance we get Brady as the OC no matter how much we offer. People should just drop that one.

Well in the warfare that is CFB, getting a rival power to spend more than they intended, knowing full well they wouldn’t land the target isn’t all bad. It’s all part of the game. Look how LSU played us on  Coach Slingblade vs Densa. Who won that one? We thought we did.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few things:

-If Harrell is the OC, and the rumors are legit but don’t take anything for granted until ink is dry, then Traylor could make a return. Herman would be admitting to a mistake in letting him go in the first place, so I’m iffy. There’s a shot. Traylor is a stud recruiter and ST coach, irrespective of which position role he would wind up with, if he were re-hired. 

-For all of the shit everyone gives Warehime, he’s actually done okay at TE coach and Wiley looks like a stud. He might stay. 

-Beck and Meekins will be gone after signing day. 

-Ash isn’t the leading candidate. 

-Outside of Giles, not sure if anyone is safe on defense if the new DC wants other guys. 

-Expect better positional balance in the coaching staff. 

-Money and CDC were involved with this. Anyone thinking otherwise is a fucking moron. Herman wasn’t ready to make changes. 

-Herman is roundly despised by the academic side and the money. Tech win gave him another season. He has been told unequivocally that they should be competing for a national title next year, that he needs to win the fucking bowl game, and they better damned sure land a top 10 class this year. If he fails at any of those, his ass is fucking gone. Obviously, if he fails at the bowl win and the recruiting class and then goes to the CFP, he’s keeping his job. 10 wins though? Some shit like that? Nope. Dude is fucking despised by too many important people. 

-Urban Meyer was not going to be approached, fwiw. The guy they had lined up would have been pretty fucking great and it will be interesting to see if he goes anywhere this year or if he’s still available after Herman buttfucks 2020. 

James Franklin?

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Herman is roundly despised by the academic side and the money.

Honest questions.  What do you mean by "positional balance"?  And exactly why did the academic folks hate Herman more than the average FB head coach?

If everyone hates herman and he had to be forced into changes, he should have been fired. 
beating tech should never be a valid reason to keep your job. 

we were (still are I guess) one more top class away from having the elite talent all over the field again, I guess they didn’t want to jeopardize that with a transition class this year. 

I hope they are already making a list of his replacement. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

This. A smart coordinator should adjust to his resources anyway.

exactly.  this is what we wanted our DC to do but he refused.  you have to be willing and ABLE to adjust.

Herman will never go full air raid and I don't want him to.  you might as well fire him.  Its why I think Lashlee could be interesting.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few things:

-If Harrell is the OC, and the rumors are legit but don’t take anything for granted until ink is dry, then Traylor could make a return. Herman would be admitting to a mistake in letting him go in the first place, so I’m iffy. There’s a shot. Traylor is a stud recruiter and ST coach, irrespective of which position role he would wind up with, if he were re-hired. 

-For all of the shit everyone gives Warehime, he’s actually done okay at TE coach and Wiley looks like a stud. He might stay. 

-Outside of Giles, not sure if anyone is safe on defense if the new DC wants other guys. 

-Money and CDC were involved with this. Anyone thinking otherwise is a fucking moron. Herman wasn’t ready to make changes. 

-Herman is roundly despised by the academic side and the money. Tech win gave him another season. He has been told unequivocally that they should be competing for a national title next year, that he needs to win the fucking bowl game, and they better damned sure land a top 10 class this year. If he fails at any of those, his ass is fucking gone. Obviously, if he fails at the bowl win and the recruiting class and then goes to the CFP, he’s keeping his job. 10 wins though? Some shit like that? Nope. Dude is fucking despised by too many important people. 

-Urban Meyer was not going to be approached, fwiw. The guy they had lined up would have been pretty fucking great and it will be interesting to see if he goes anywhere this year or if he’s still available after Herman buttfucks 2020. 

If the fans have lost faith in him, and the leadership has lost faith in him, and everyone fucking despised him.... then why hang on to him another year?  Perception?  Money?  If he’s being forced to fire his staff, then they should absolutely not allow him to make offers to OC/DC candidates.  If he doesn’t realize his mistakes, he will make them again.

9 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Honest questions.  What do you mean by "positional balance"?  And exactly why did the academic folks hate Herman more than the average FB head coach?

Coach Fuckface had 7 offensive assistants and 4 defensive assistants this past year and in 2019. Assume 6/5 or 5/6 going forward. 7/4 was fucking idiocy anyway. 

Academics don’t proactively give a shit negatively these days. The data supports supporting a strong football program at every level of academic institution. The eggheads know it. Bottom line is that it takes effort to have someone like Fenves have visceral disgust with you, so well done by Fuckface in pulling that off. And don’t think for a second that the academic and administrative side isn’t interested and paying attention to the tentpole athletic programs at Texas. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If the fans have lost faith in him, and the leadership has lost faith in him, and everyone fucking despised him.... then why hang on to him another year?  Perception?  Money?  If he’s being forced to fire his staff, then they should absolutely not allow him to make offers to OC/DC candidates.  If he doesn’t realize his mistakes, he will make them again.

Don’t know. Money wasn’t the issue. The $20million buyout was lined up happily and in unison for once. This dude has one year to post a return to dominance for Texas. 

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few things:

if this is actually true good luck getting any good co-ordinators to jump on this sinking ship.  I suppose Harrell might not be in a good position if Helton is out.

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few things:

Would Herman have actually gotten canned if we lost on Friday? 

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

if this is actually true good luck getting any good co-ordinators to jump on this sinking ship.  I suppose Harrell might not be in a good position if Helton is out.

People keep saying this like there is any truth to it, good coaches don't give a shit, they will always be able to find a job.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Don’t know. Money wasn’t the issue. The $20million buyout was lined up happily and in unison for once. This dude has one year to post a return to dominance for Texas. 

And he will spend it resenting and undermining his new staff. So we are just wasting the 2020 season. 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I would pay the fucking thing myself to see him out.  

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Seriously? Just say who it was or don't say shit.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Money and CDC were involved with this. Herman wasn’t ready to make changes. Herman is roundly despised by the academic side and the money. Tech win gave him another season.  He's been told unequivocally that they should be competing for a national title next year...   If he fails his ass is fucking gone.  Urban Meyer was not going to be approached, fwiw. The guy they had lined up would have been pretty fucking great and it will be interesting to see if he goes anywhere this year or if he’s still available after Herman buttfucks 2020. 

Crazy. ..

• BMD's/CDC were seriously discussing going after a "pretty fucking great" new coach??
  • Herman "wasn't ready to make changes" ??
  • Mensa is "fucking despised by too many important people"??

So Herman is "forced to restaff and win or else" seems like trying to put a round peg in a square hole.   Maybe just not enough time to cut bait with Herman and move on -- especially if you're unsure if your prime replacement targets would even consider the Texas job.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

People keep saying this like there is any truth to it, good coaches don't give a shit, they will always be able to find a job.

sure.  if its harrell I'd call it a solid double but it wouldn't be like grabbing a real high level guy.  I'm guessing the money is really embarrassed by the Ogre lapping the boy they had to pay up for to keep from LSU.

Herman has to hope his DC is a homerun and can actually handle his side of the ball and coach it so he can fix the O and keep the talent on that side happy.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Go fuck yourself. I post what I can and ask for nothing. You’ve been an unproductive cunt on these boards for more than a decade. Put me on ignore if you can’t handle it, but spare us your plaintive whines. 

lolz, so tough. btw, do you consider that you have been a productive cunt on an internet message board for a decade? because that's laughable.

Edited by Llogg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m so depressed. 
we had the money and replacement lined up and we chickened out and took half measures. Why?  Nobody is invested in winning with herman. None of this is logical. They hate him and he’s replaceable but they don’t replace him. 

I was happy an hour ago when I thought (hoped) he chose to make necessary changes. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

10 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Didn't Traylor coach tight ends and special teams when he was here? We could use both of those.

Traylor is a recruiting rainmaker. High school coaches love him because he was one of them for 14 years and got a big break. They see him the way the public sees rich people. They love him because they think they will be him one day. Also helps that he knows what he is doing on the offensive side of the ball.