2020 Coaching Staff

CTJ, what you're saying doesn't make much sense. If the money's in order, he's despised by all the major factions, and there's someone 'great' lined up; what's the upside to keeping him and turning over the staff? It's already going to hurt recruiting this year, and again next if he's fired then. And we have to pay a bunch of staff buyouts again. 

The only way it makes sense is if CDC still believes in him. Which itself doesn't make sense if he's forcing him to can his staff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m so depressed. 
we had the money and replacement lined up and we chickened out and took half measures. Why?  Nobody is invested in winning with herman. None of this is logical. They hate him and he’s replaceable but they don’t replace him. 

Why are you assuming what you are reading on a message board from a poster who doesn’t list his name is true?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pasken said:

Why are you assuming what you are reading on a message board from a poster who doesn’t list his name is true?

Because I spend entirely too much time on here to believe otherwise. 
I’ve actually met him. You, not so much. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few things:

-If Harrell is the OC, and the rumors are legit but don’t take anything for granted until ink is dry, then Traylor could make a return. Herman would be admitting to a mistake in letting him go in the first place, so I’m iffy. There’s a shot. Traylor is a stud recruiter and ST coach, irrespective of which position role he would wind up with, if he were re-hired. 

-For all of the shit everyone gives Warehime, he’s actually done okay at TE coach and Wiley looks like a stud. He might stay. 

-Beck and Meekins will be gone after signing day. 

-Ash isn’t the leading candidate. 

-Outside of Giles, not sure if anyone is safe on defense if the new DC wants other guys. 

-Expect better positional balance in the coaching staff. 

-Money and CDC were involved with this. Anyone thinking otherwise is a fucking moron. Herman wasn’t ready to make changes. 

-Herman is roundly despised by the academic side and the money. Tech win gave him another season. He has been told unequivocally that they should be competing for a national title next year, that he needs to win the fucking bowl game, and they better damned sure land a top 10 class this year. If he fails at any of those, his ass is fucking gone. Obviously, if he fails at the bowl win and the recruiting class and then goes to the CFP, he’s keeping his job. 10 wins though? Some shit like that? Nope. Dude is fucking despised by too many important people. 

-Urban Meyer was not going to be approached, fwiw. The guy they had lined up would have been pretty fucking great and it will be interesting to see if he goes anywhere this year or if he’s still available after Herman buttfucks 2020. 

Not going into how I heard this but while I was in Austin this week I was able to catch up with someone who would be involved with the buyout. He wants Herman gone yesterday. He fucking hates Herman. And this guy is not prone to this kind of emotion. He was still supporting Mack after the regular season loss to Baylor and had to be convinced even then It was time for a change. This was before the Tech game but based on the kinds of words he was using to describe Herman (none of which related to his coaching abilities) I doubt the outcome of that game mattered. 

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

Traylor is a recruiting rainmaker. High school coaches love him because he was one of them for 14 years and got a big break. They see him the way the public sees rich people. They love him because they think they will be him one day. Also helps that he knows what he is doing on the offensive side of the ball.

I thought meekins was supposed to play that role?  Isn't meekins brother still a coach in Houston?  

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If the decision to fire or retain Herman came down to a win against a horrible Tech team, then things are so much more fucked than I could have ever imagined. That’s insanity.

I agree with this.  CTJ's post tells me things are completely FUBAR.  fire the guy if everyone hates him and the money is there.  iceberg ahead....

there is a very short list of coaches I would consider pretty fucking great.  even franklin is not pretty fucking great but he does fit one of my major criteria.  did it twice at either a G5 and P5 or even better 2 P5.

maybe my definition of pretty fucking great is too high

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

I thought meekins was supposed to play that role?  Isn't meekins brother still a coach in Houston?  

Except Meekins has no business coaching D1 football.  He was brought on at UH to deliver Ed Oliver.  Whereas, Traylor was considered one of the brightest offensive minds in Texas HS football and a guy many think will be a future OC with a bright future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I agree with this.  CTJ's post tells me things are completely FUBAR.  fire the guy if everyone hates him and the money is there.  iceberg ahead....

there is a very short list of coaches I would consider pretty fucking great.  even franklin is not pretty fucking great but he does fit one of my major criteria.  did it twice at either a G5 and P5 or even better 2 P5.

maybe my definition of pretty fucking great is too high

The issue is Herman still has a legit chance to go 8-5. After winning 10 games last year there are many who believe that would look terrible for Texas. If he had finished 6-6 and lost a bowl? Then the people who dislike him, and there are many apparently would have the ammo they need to fire him. 

Other than maybe Dabo in his early years might be a data point, name me one time where a college coach totally revamped his staff and it worked out?  Mostly its one of the early signs of death.

I am old enough to remember Harrell being a real douche at Tech.  Someone needs to post the pic of him in the Christmas sweater.  

Don't really care at this point.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I didn’t phrase it well, but winning the tech game didn’t change minds. It was more like “if this fucking shithead loses to Tech also, we’re ready”. He didn’t. They didn’t. 

I wonder what conversations were being had when we were down 14-0 in that game...

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

Other than maybe Dabo in his early years might be a data point, name me one time where a college coach totally revamped his staff and it worked out?  Mostly its one of the early signs of death.

I am old enough to remember Harrell being a real douche at Tech.  Someone needs to post the pic of him in the Christmas sweater.  

Don't really care at this point.

Not quite to the same extent as this but Kelly overhauled his staff at Notre Dame after 2016 and made the playoff last year.

Just now, victory88 said:

Guys I would want with the current coaching landscape that would be realistic... will omit Meyer since that has been beaten to death.

1.  Rhule

2.  Malzahn

3.  Franklin

4.  Patterson 

5.  Campbell

All would be HUGE upgrades over Mensa 

Just my opinion but any short list that does not include Fleck or Harsin is incomplete. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

im hoping for the best this time around

it is worrying though 

Just now, Newy25 said:

Just my opinion but any short list that does not include Fleck or Harsin is incomplete. 

I think Fleck needs to prove more than 1 food year in my opinion.  I don’t think Harsin is a realistic candidate.  If he would consider Texas, I’d bump him up to #4 on that list.  Just think he doesn’t give a fuck about the extra baggage of being a HC at Texas, plus he’s at his alma mater doing well.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

I think Fleck needs to prove more than 1 food year in my opinion.  I don’t think Harsin is a realistic candidate.  If he would consider Texas, I’d bump him up to #4 on that list.  Just think he doesn’t give a fuck about the extra baggage of being a HC at Texas, plus he’s at his alma mater doing well.

I have no idea if he would even want the job but the guy has won everywhere and not just with gimmicky offense. He has won a shit ton of games with good special teams and defense while at Boise St. 

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Guys I would want with the current coaching landscape that would be realistic... will omit Meyer since that has been beaten to death.

1.  Rhule

2.  Malzahn

3.  Franklin

4.  Patterson 

5.  Campbell

All would be HUGE upgrades over Mensa 

Lulz. That list is shit.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

A few things:

-If Harrell is the OC, and the rumors are legit but don’t take anything for granted until ink is dry, then Traylor could make a return. Herman would be admitting to a mistake in letting him go in the first place, so I’m iffy. There’s a shot. Traylor is a stud recruiter and ST coach, irrespective of which position role he would wind up with, if he were re-hired. 

-For all of the shit everyone gives Warehime, he’s actually done okay at TE coach and Wiley looks like a stud. He might stay. 

-Beck and Meekins will be gone after signing day. 

-Ash isn’t the leading candidate. 

-Outside of Giles, not sure if anyone is safe on defense if the new DC wants other guys. 

-Expect better positional balance in the coaching staff. 

-Money and CDC were involved with this. Anyone thinking otherwise is a fucking moron. Herman wasn’t ready to make changes. 

-Herman is roundly despised by the academic side and the money. Tech win gave him another season. He has been told unequivocally that they should be competing for a national title next year, that he needs to win the fucking bowl game, and they better damned sure land a top 10 class this year. If he fails at any of those, his ass is fucking gone. Obviously, if he fails at the bowl win and the recruiting class and then goes to the CFP, he’s keeping his job. 10 wins though? Some shit like that? Nope. Dude is fucking despised by too many important people. 

-Urban Meyer was not going to be approached, fwiw. The guy they had lined up would have been pretty fucking great and it will be interesting to see if he goes anywhere this year or if he’s still available after Herman buttfucks 2020. 

1. Why is Giles safe?

2. What's the academic side's beef with Herman? edit: nevermind, already answered

Edited by Rimbo

4 minutes ago, WBT said:

I still think of Kevin Steele as an utter disaster at Baylor.  Interesting times.

Kevin Steele the head coach was a complete disaster. I still remember the story my GF at the time told me when he went around to actual classes to apologize for the way he lost a game while at Baylor. Instead of kneeling on the ball to run clock he called a running play to score a TD that the team proceeded to fumble and watch it get returned 100 yards for the win. 

He actual went into a Bible study class to apologize. 

But he is an awesome recruiter and DC apparently. 

Edited by Newy25

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Probably one of these two. Lets just get it fucking over with. He is not the guy for this program. It just took me this year to figure it out. The Big 12 is down so far this year that fxxking Baylor is playing for the championship. Dwell on that for awhile. or not.

F-IT

NVM It would have to be Shanahan.

Edited by ckhorn

52 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If everyone hates herman and he had to be forced into changes, he should have been fired. 
beating tech should never be a valid reason to keep your job. 

This is my thinking. Not just because he should've recognized the need (long ago, honestly), but because how do you hire someone worthwhile for a one-year job?

20 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Not going into how I heard this but while I was in Austin this week I was able to catch up with someone who would be involved with the buyout. He wants Herman gone yesterday. He fucking hates Herman. And this guy is not prone to this kind of emotion. He was still supporting Mack after the regular season loss to Baylor and had to be convinced even then It was time for a change. This was before the Tech game but based on the kinds of words he was using to describe Herman (none of which related to his coaching abilities) I doubt the outcome of that game mattered. 

Interesting, who did he want when we fired mack?

so Herman is the coaching version of Patterson...

29 minutes ago, Llogg said:

lolz, so tough. btw, do you consider that you have been a productive cunt on an internet message board for a decade? because that's laughable.

This is complete and utter bullshit and I won't stand to see this nonsense spread. Get your facts straight.

CTJ has been a productive cunt on internet message boards for TWO decades.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Highbp said:

I feel like we should be more worried about David Ash and the defense. All of the OCs rumored frankly seem like a giant upgrade. Ash is a single at best and would be the easy choice. 

we stopped worrying about David Ash when he smartly quit playing football

• Haha 1